Y'all should ...

devoy1701

Devoy, are you serious? LMAO, I can't believe what I'm hearing right now! I love Autopia but your love is far stronger than mine!

We were at Disneyland for 6 days....I think we rode Autopia a total of 8 times. No joke... I loved it! The queue, the kinetic energy flowing from the Monorail, the Subs, the (missing) PeopleMover! It's so vibrant and alive on that side of the park! And you're right in the middle of it in the simplist fashion with Autopia!

ctxak98

Indy vs ToT vs CTX???

Indy has John Williams - GAME OVER
Hahaha I have to agree that john williams is amazing. These are actually mt top 3 rides and I will tell you why. Indiana jones is my favorite movie series so therefore the ride is already awesome. Dinosaurs have always been fascinating to me and my favorite dinosaur was the carnotaurus before it came out...and it was the first ride to actually scare me and I like being scared on rides. And tot has the 30's and 40's feel of hollywood with a twilight zone twist which I love. The music and everything is awesome...and I love drop rides so. I think they are all so different I can't really compare just that I love one more then the other.

Californian Elitist

I definitely watched a lot of Twilight Zone as a kid. But I also grew up with Indy. So, I don't think that's it -- I just happen to really connect with the ToT ride, everything from the queue to the faux Serling at the end... "A warm welcome back, to those of you who made it..."

Also, to echo what devoy said, the Fifth Dimension -- and the random drop sequences -- definitely put the WDW version of ToT in a class by itself over the one in DCA. It's not a little better because of those things -- it's dramatically better, IMO.

As for Indy, it's a great ride. One of the best, certainly. But Orlando has, IMO, a similar -- and better -- ride, and it's not Dinosaur. It's the Mummy at Universal Studios (which I think is in Universal/Hollywood as well). Don't shoot me... I certainly love the Indy franchise more than the Mummy... but that Mummy ride is all kinds of awesome.

That's how I feel with Indiana Jones and Sallah's safety spiel. One of the best parts of the attraction.

I really like ToT but it's over in just a few minutes, when compared to Indiana Jones and the surprises in Indy make it the better attraction for me. Mummy is fun too but no way is it better than Indy. No way.

I like this conversation. Interesting to hear different views.

ChrisM

a rollercoaster for avatar? i really was thinking something a little more technical, like harry potter, like dinosaur etc. i don't see how they could pull off the effect of flying around the floating mountains without it being part dark ride (like rockin' rollercoaster) as disney don't like to create rollercoasters that cant implement the track into the theme. otherwise it starts to look cheap and six flaggy.

And this is the route I was hoping this conversation would start to branch off into.

We actually have a slate of proposed Avatar attractions to discuss. Let's actually, you know, discuss them.

So the attraction that Cameron apparently really wants, and the big E-Ticket, is a Vekoma motorbike coaster through the floating mountains of Pandora. I think we can presume the following:

- The "motorbike" aspect of this will have riders mounted on Ikrans, those flying banshee creatures.

- The attraction will be outdoors.

- If outdoors, this attraction will be the centerpiece of the land with the floating moutains being quite prominent and visible.

The real question here would be, how visible would the mountains be? Would they be visible from the parking lot, other areas of the park, or really only within the Pandora "land" itself? Would they tower over the park or would you make your way through the walk-through exhibits introducing you to the flora and fauna of Pandora and then stumble onto the big reveal with the moutains towering overhead (but otherwise hidden from other areas of the park and outside the park)?

Another important question would be how well would they be able to hide the coaster track and supports for the "floating" mountains? I could see this either being a total visual mess or, by maximizing limited sight lines and perspective, foliage, and water, it being a true jaw dropper. At least upon a casual inspection.

nytimez

BTW, one of the things that might sour me just a touch on Indy is that a friend of mine at TWDC told me long ago Harrison Ford was kind of a sausage about the whole thing. Wanted nothing to do with any of the Indy stuff in any of the parks. Didn't pose for the animatronics, didn't provide voices, etc. etc. etc. That lingers in my mind... and maybe it removes some of the "magic."

Mawg

That's how I feel with Indiana Jones and Sallah's safety spiel. One of the best parts of the attraction.

I really like ToT but it's over in just a few minutes, when compared to Indiana Jones and the surprises in Indy make it the better attraction for me. Mummy is fun too but no way is it better than Indy. No way.

I like this conversation. Interesting to hear different views.

Raven you still need to go to WDW, ToT is a little better and longer at DHS than at DCA. I would put DHS ToT over Indy, but Indy over ToT at DCA

Californian Elitist

We were at Disneyland for 6 days....I think we rode Autopia a total of 8 times. No joke... I loved it! The queue, the kinetic energy flowing from the Monorail, the Subs, the (missing) PeopleMover! It's so vibrant and alive on that side of the park! And you're right in the middle of it in the simplist fashion with Autopia!

I just spent two minutes laughing. LOL, your enthusiasm for this ride is so funny! Maybe it's because I haven't ridden Speedway yet? Surely it can't be that much worse. I'm assuming you bought a picture for your Autopia driver's license???

Just for you, I've posted my favorite Chevron clip from the queue:) :

PurpleRose

Guess I'll need to head over to Universal so I could ride the Mummy. Looks like that will be the closest I'll ever get, without going to Cali. I do plan on going to DL, just a matter as to when.

Californian Elitist

Raven you still need to go to WDW, ToT is a little better and longer at DHS than at DCA. I would put DHS ToT over Indy, but Indy over ToT at DCA

I'm still going!:D I still have huge doubts it'll change my mind. I've been an Indy girl forever. Always will be. The dropping aspect of Tower doesn't impress me.

Mawg

- The attraction will be outdoors.

- If outdoors, this attraction will be the centerpiece of the land with the floating moutains being quite prominent and visible.

Why does it have to be outdoors? I could see them having it indoors and hiding the track with lighting. Plus if indoors it's protected from the rain and does not have to close when raining.

Ignohippo

Stranger things have happened. This isnt all TDO, but I'll still be surprised if both move forward quicker than they are doing!

Right, but it still effects the resort's bottom line, so TDO will more than likely fight anything they don't deem as absolutely necessary.

And, unfortunately, they could probably make a pretty good case for WDW being one resort and only needing one major expansion at a time.

It'll be very interesting to see how their numbers are affected once Transformers and Potter 2.0 come online.

RSoxNo1

Yes. No question about it. IMHO, of course.
The Top Disney attractions stateside in no particular order:
  • Pirates of the Caribbean - Disneyland
  • Indiana Jones Adventure - Disneyland
  • Space Mountain - Disneyland
  • Radiator Springs Racers - Disney California Adventure
  • The Haunted Mansion - Magic Kingdom
  • Splash Mountain - Magic Kingdom (I could leave this off the list until they fix the Laughing Place)
  • Tower of Terror - Hollywood Studios
  • Kilimanjaro Safaris - Animal Kingdom

Mawg

I saw a video on here somewhere of some interactive plants that make sounds or light up when touched. I see an interactive walkthrough using all 5 senses kid and adult friendly. Maybe a play structure for the kids (and adult kids) within the walkthrough. The whole experience would be completely different at night.

devoy1701

I'm still going!:D I still have huge doubts it'll change my mind. I've been an Indy girl forever. Always will be. The dropping aspect of Tower doesn't impress me.

One of the things you have to realize about DHS ToT is that it isn't just plopped down with a small footprint in the middle of whatever land it is now in at DCA....it has an grand aura...an anticipation build up that is quite unlike any other attraction...the dense/overgrown gardens you travel through complete with the misty/fog effects they use during the summer that creates an unsettling eeriness, the crippled fountains you walk by on the terrace with the overgrown vines growing on the broken lattace work...all while 40s music with the likes of Bunny Berigan, Glenn Miller (and my favorite from the queue) Vera Lynn play with that scratchy vinyl sound that just puts you in the right place and mindset as that tower looms over you. The build-up created with DHS's ToT is Imagineering at it's best!

The only two things I would ask for to improve the attraction is (as I mentioned before) DCA's shake before you drop or launch, which would leave you guessing on which way you're going, and a more seamless transition from the 5th Dimension into the elevator shaft (it's a little noticable because it locks into place rather harshly and the shaft isn't air conditioned so its a tad (and by tad I mean it hits you like a wall) more humid in the shaft than in the 5th Dimension.

Californian Elitist

One of the things you have to realize about DHS ToT is that it isn't just plopped down with a small footprint in the middle of whatever land it is now in at DCA....it has an grand aura...an anticipation build up that is quite unlike any other attraction...the dense/overgrown gardens you travel through complete with the misty/fog effects they use during the summer that creates an unsettling eeriness, the crippled fountains you walk by on the terrace with the overgrown vines growing on the broken lattace work...all while 40s music with the likes of Bunny Berigan, Glenn Miller (and my favorite from the queue) Vera Lynn play with that scratchy vinyl sound that just puts you in the right place and mindset as that tower looms over you. The build-up created with DHS's ToT is Imagineering at it's best!

The only two things I would ask for to improve the attraction is (as I mentioned before) DCA's shake before you drop or launch, which would leave you guessing on which way you're going, and a more seamless transition from the 5th Dimension into the elevator shaft (it's a little noticable because it locks into place rather harshly and the shaft isn't air conditioned so its a tad (and by tad I mean it hits you like a wall) more humid in the shaft than in the 5th Dimension.

Eh... Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom