Worst attraction in WDW property?

David S.

Does anyone like SGE? Anyone? I don't either.

Since you asked... It's not one of my ABSOLUTE favorites, but I don't dislike it. And I certainly don't get the intense hate people have for it on these forums.

I like it enough to do it regularly on long open-to-close full days when I usually can finish the park, but on short days (like an 8 PM close) it is subject to being skipped due to time constraints.

So what do I like about it? Well, I like that it is not dark, scary, or sinister in tone like AE was. Stich just seems cute and mischievous to me, rather than evil; you never get the sense that he is out to HURT anyone; and since the characters running the "Prisoner Teleportation Center" never reveal exactly what he did that was so wrong, I find it easy to root for him in his quest to escape, and enjoy the fact that he does! He is quite cute, after all! :)

So I think the attraction has a fun, playfully anarchic spirit!

I also really like the uber-cute, furry AAs in the preshow. Again, they got "busted" for "jaywalking" and "eating the jelly out of doughnuts", so it's easy to sympathize with them and hope they get free soon.

As for the "bad smell" everyone complains about? Well, I guess in this case I should be thankful that my sense of smell is not very acute, probably due to years of allergies. Because although I can faintly notice it, it never really bothers me. And if it did bother me, I'd just cover my nose during that part! :) (it doesn't smell as strong, or as unpleasant, as the smell of accidentally walking past a smoking area, but that's just my opinion)

Ralphlaw

For what it's worth, here are the things I've never done because I already knew that they'd be lousy:

Tommorrowland speedway; Stitch; the Dinoland Carnival Games; MK Arcade area; Sounds Dangerous.

And the things I've tried, but are classified as 20 minutes of my life that I'll never get back:

Country Bears; Rafiki's Planet Watch; Tiki Room; Imagination; the latest incarnation of Tomorrowland Transit Authority; Mark Twain's riverboat.

Now, here are things that I personally don't care for, but I enjoy because my kids have liked them very much:

Tricerotop Spin, Carousel of Progress; Playhouse Disney; Alladin's Carpets; Dumbo.

And finally, the one thing that everyone seems to love but that just doesn't do it for me, compared to my morning commute:

TestTrack (call me crazy, but it always disappoints)

David S.

The entire conservation station at AK is just a complete waste. There's hardly anything interesting there... totally not worth waiting in line for the train trip.

Wow, you must not like animals very much. Affection Section is one of my favorite places in AK, and I like everything in the park! Instead of just looking at animals, you can actually pet them! I usually spend AT LEAST a half-hour per visit just in Affection Section, visiting the goats, sheep, donkeys, piggies, llamas, and last but not least, the Dexter Cow, named Miss Kitty! She's my favorite! :)

I have quite a soft spot for cows, and I am very proud of the fact that I no longer eat them! ;)

PS. And to me, riding on a train is always a Fun Thing To Do, in and of itself!

Pepper's Ghost

1. Since you said attraction, and not ride, I have to say Swiss Family Treehouse. I just don't get why it's there. I don't think it takes up much space, but after the first time, I just don't see any reason to go there. And after doing it once, I wondered why I bothered. I guess I just don't understand. Maybe it's better for kids or something. My first time to WDW was when I was 26.

2. Indy Speedway is a complete waste of space. Totally lame. Wish they'd figure out something better and "futuristic" to do with that space.

3. Stitch isn't very good I guess. I miss Alien Encounter. That was such a cool ride in my opinion. I love thrills, and something about that ride just gave me the chills. I guess my vote here is mainly because of my disappointment of AE being gone.

Spike-in-Berlin

1. Since you said attraction, and not ride, I have to say Swiss Family Treehouse. I just don't get why it's there. I don't think it takes up much space, but after the first time, I just don't see any reason to go there. And after doing it once, I wondered why I bothered. I guess I just don't understand. Maybe it's better for kids or something. My first time to WDW was when I was 26.

2. Indy Speedway is a complete waste of space. Totally lame. Wish they'd figure out something better and "futuristic" to do with that space.

3. Stitch isn't very good I guess. I miss Alien Encounter. That was such a cool ride in my opinion. I love thrills, and something about that ride just gave me the chills. I guess my vote here is mainly because of my disappointment of AE being gone.

Disney attractions are not only existing as means of amusement, they also add atmosphere to the park. Buy one of the many books about imagineering, e.g. Imagineers Field Guide for the MK, and read about the principles of imagineering. Some are not that thrilling or interesting but they bring "kinetics" to the area, any moving element like boats, flags, running waterfalls, trains etc. Some are static but add background and atmosphere and serve as a secondary weenie. SFT is one of these. As a walkthru attraction it really is only mildly interesting, even for a first timer. But it is an impressive background for the jungle setting of AL and an eyecatcher as a completely artificial tree of enormous size.

Indy Speedway on the other only adds noise and fumes and is a severely outdated attraction, that doesn't even fit to the theme. I mean how "futuristic" are normal racing CARS? What do they have to do with TL nowadays. They are the worst waste of space in the entire MK.

Wilt Dasney

Disney attractions are not only existing as means of amusement, they also add atmosphere to the park. Buy one of the many books about imagineering, e.g. Imagineers Field Guide for the MK, and read about the principles of imagineering. Some are not that thrilling or interesting but they bring "kinetics" to the area, any moving element like boats, flags, running waterfalls, trains etc. Some are static but add background and atmosphere and serve as a secondary weenie. SFT is one of these. As a walkthru attraction it really is only mildly interesting, even for a first timer. But it is an impressive background for the jungle setting of AL and an eyecatcher as a completely artificial tree of enormous size.

Perfect defense of the Treehouse. I agree that actually walking through it isn't much of an experience, but it's something that just says "Adventureland" and adds to the area's ambient charm. I'd be sad to see it go, even if I have no intentions of ever going through it again.

David S.

Yes, I like the Treehouse! It stimulates my imagination and makes me daydream about what it would be like to live on a lush island in a Treehouse! In fact, while most people fantasize about sleeping in the Castle (which would be cool!) I always also fantasized about what it would be like to spend the night in the Treehouse (as long as it's not one of those hot summer nights with high humidity!)

It's one of those attractions like Big Thunder, the Riverboat, or Jungle Cruise that takes on a completely different personality and atmosphere at night, so I would recommend seeing it both ways.

Pepper's Ghost

Well, I don't disagree that it creates a nice backdrop for Adventureland, but from a standpoint of being an actual attraction that you go on, it does nothing for me. I think it's not a great attraction, however if you take into affect the minimal amount of space it takes up, that changes everything. But I think that also changes the original question.

From a bang for your sq ft standpoint, Indy Speedway is the worst attraction, period. They could replace it with two sizeable fun attractions, and given that it's in tomorrowland, the possibilities are endless. But from a standpoint of whether an attraction is fun to actually interact with one way or another, for me I think the Treehouse ranks a little worse than the Speedway. I'd still rather see the Speedway get replaced first though because the Treehouse takes up so much less space. It's not like you could do anything more with the space it takes up. :brick: I feel like I'm pulling at both ends of the rope here.....

French Quarter

I actually enjoy the Treehouse. I like the view from the top. I got some great pics of the Castle from there and it is magical at night! I also like that there's no wait and it's simple, noiseless concept gives me time to chat with my family as we explore.

I'm glad that there was also a mention of LMA at DHS because I thought that took up way too much of my time. It also takes up way too much space in the park, which could be used for something else that has more than two showings per day.

I think that LMA would have worked if it was there for a limited time. I don't think it's a very good permanent attraction. I saw it once and that was enough. It's not worth all the time it takes to see it and how it incovienences my day by having to fit one of the showings in there. It also destroyed the Backstage Tour, in my opinion. The show itself was okay, kind of fun. But they could use that space to show different shows.

Wow, you must not like animals very much. Affection Section is one of my favorite places in AK, and I like everything in the park! Instead of just looking at animals, you can actually pet them! I usually spend AT LEAST a half-hour per visit just in Affection Section, visiting the goats, sheep, donkeys, piggies, llamas, and last but not least, the Dexter Cow, named Miss Kitty! She's my favorite! :)

David, we really like Rafiki's Planet Watch too and spend a chunk of time there each time we visit AK. We love interacting with the animals but also love the different characters you come across there with very little wait. The Rainforest Room is a must-do for us and it's fascinating to watch the animals get their check-ups. Overall, it feels like a real escape from the crowds. I only wish they had some food option there.

imagineer boy

Indy Speedway on the other only adds noise and fumes and is a severely outdated attraction, that doesn't even fit to the theme. I mean how "futuristic" are normal racing CARS? What do they have to do with TL nowadays. They are the worst waste of space in the entire MK.

I think there are a few simple solutions for the speedway:

1. Change the name to cosmic highway.

2. Make the cars electric and futuristic looking.

3. Add futuristic bilboards and other neat details to the scenery.

The simple fact is that the ride is very popular with kids because they love to be able to drive their own car. I think it should be kept, but redone with the solutions above.

Chrononymous

SGE
The preshow is really the only decent part.

I think the story is a little lame.
I think those harnesses hurt like crazy(but then I have fibromyalgia)
I think the fake screams are the only ones I ever hear in that attraction
I think the chili dog smell is horrendous
I think you woulkd have to seriously bribe me to go on it again.

Although I can say, it is still slightly better than the Mission to Mars I saw there as a kid. That was lamer.

captainkidd

Although the dinosaur part is cool, I find the Universe of Energy to be the longest, most boring attraction at Disney.

Stitch is pretty awful as well.

darthspielberg

I really only hate one of the attractions I've been too at Disney, and I'd go with Narnia. Holy crap, that was a waste of time (which was fortunate, because we were looking to waste some time, I wish we'd gone into One Man's Dream instead)

I think they should gut that building, and put it to use in October by making a Nightmare Before Christmas themed walkthrough attraction (I hesitate to say Haunted House, but you get the idea) or something like that, to give older kids something to do for Halloween besides MNSSHP

In terms of disappointing rides, Dinosaur is up there. I wish I could have ridden it in it's golden days, but I rode it back in March and it was a mess.

indycarfan7

The Seas with Nemo and Friends, it's just a waste of time. I have rode it twice and both times there hasn't even been a line. They have that very long queue area and no people. I think they should have kept the Living Seas video and the hydrolators.

lighteningqueen

I really only hate one of the attractions I've been too at Disney, and I'd go with Narnia. Holy crap, that was a waste of time (which was fortunate, because we were looking to waste some time, I wish we'd gone into One Man's Dream instead)

I think they should gut that building, and put it to use in October by making a Nightmare Before Christmas themed walkthrough attraction (I hesitate to say Haunted House, but you get the idea) or something like that, to give older kids something to do for Halloween besides MNSSHP

In terms of disappointing rides, Dinosaur is up there. I wish I could have ridden it in it's golden days, but I rode it back in March and it was a mess.

I agree its the worst use of good space. Narnia I mean But I like Dinasour. It could be a walk thru with many different seasons etc. How about a cute meet and greet area for some of the newer films from Pixas since it is in that area... I also wanted to tell people that were standing in a long long line to get out of there run for your lives....ha ha

French Quarter

I think it depends what you are expecting. I went when it first opened and figured it was going to be a promotional display for the movie. It was. So I wasn't disappointed. (Mind you, I didn't have to wait in much of a line.) If you go, expecting a ride or a show, it is disappointing. The Narnia "attraction" is like LMA for me. It should have been a very temporary display that was replaced by something else in a reasonable time.

The Seas with Nemo and Friends, it's just a waste of time. I have rode it twice and both times there hasn't even been a line. They have that very long queue area and no people. I think they should have kept the Living Seas video and the hydrolators.

The reason that there's not much of a line, I think, has to do with how quickly this ride loads. However, I agree that the queue area is ridiculously long for no apparent reason. I do like the queue though. It makes me feel like I am going underwater. I think the ride is pretty cute too but there seems to be a lot of people like you who don't like it.

indycarfan7

The reason that there's not much of a line, I think, has to do with how quickly this ride loads. However, I agree that the queue area is ridiculously long for no apparent reason. I do like the queue though. It makes me feel like I am going underwater. I think the ride is pretty cute too but there seems to be a lot of people like you who don't like it.

I mean the ride is pretty cool and interesting. I just think that Disney is kinda going downhill with some of the ride renovations. Including, Alien Encounters to Stitches Great Escape. I also loved Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom