World of Color?

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
They'll just move 'em each night, plain and simple.

The crowd control CM's at Disneyland move dozens of benches around in the Hub every night after the last parade and before fireworks. The crowd control CM's also move benches and tables around in the New Orleans Square area, install heavy rope nets each evening to cordon off the areas around the light towers rising from underground, plus rolling in dozens of folding chairs and banquet tables for the Fantasmic! Dessert Buffet in an area that was a park walkway for most of the day.

FantasmicReservedSeatsA-1.jpg

I've noticed the Disneyland CM's do a lot more heavy lifting, figuratively and literally, getting their park ready for major spectaculars compared to Magic Kingdom or other WDW crowd control CM's. Moving benches, tables, rolling out big carts full of poles and rope netting, setting up big coffee urns and dessert spreads in walkways, etc., etc.

A couple dozen modern, lightweight benches themed to antique heavyweight benches? A piece of cake for Disneyland crowd control crews! They'll move those things in less time than it takes to eat a Churro while watching them! :lol:

Wow. I had no idea that DL required so much rearranging of the furniture every night. I've never seen a WDW CM move so much as a chair before. Plus, a majority of the benches I have seen in WDW are bolted to the ground very tightly. It never even crossed my mind that they were moveable. Do they just roll out a big flat, pile benches on it and then roll it out of the way? Sorry for the silly question but this whole concept of hauling tables, chairs, benches, and rope every day boggles my mind. :lol:

cdunbar

Wow. I had no idea that DL required so much rearranging of the furniture every night. I've never seen a WDW CM move so much as a chair before. Plus, a majority of the benches I have seen in WDW are bolted to the ground very tightly. It never even crossed my mind that they were moveable. Do they just roll out a big flat, pile benches on it and then roll it out of the way? Sorry for the silly question but this whole concept of hauling tables, chairs, benches, and rope every day boggles my mind. :lol:
As it does mine...:lol:

nemofinder22

All the benches are the very same ones that sit in the normal places all day until parade, firework or Fantasmic! time.

Take for example the Hub and its benches will be moved from there normal places and rearranged in rows in the walk ways.

Also a big one are the ones in Frontierland(the the shooting arcade, shops and Golden Horseshoe area) all the area benches are rearranged to create barricades so that the Frontierland bridge, Shooting Arcade and Rancho side are walkways into the area. While the Golden Horseshoe side is turned into an exit and merges into the Adventureland bridge. Basically Froniterland is the entrance to the West side while the Adventureland bridge is the exit during Fantasmic!

The benches at the DLRR Main Street Station are also moved at firework time, the seats are usually reserved for guests on tours.

Also one more but Candlelight is a major mover when it comes to benches, and its temporary set up. Remember unlike other places DLR likes to ruin vacations with refurbs, major walls and closures :D

http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/Theme-Parks/Disneyland-Resort-12609/10562280_zp9ud#733645831_zDxQW
733645831_zDxQW-S.jpg

Hopefully that helps a bit :). Its actually kinda cool to see them very quickly rearrange everything, and then somehow put it all back like it never happened.

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
All the benches are the very same ones that sit in the normal places all day until parade, firework or Fantasmic! time.

Take for example the Hub and its benches will be moved from there normal places and rearranged in rows in the walk ways.

Also a big one are the ones in Frontierland(the the shooting arcade, shops and Golden Horseshoe area) all the area benches are rearranged to create barricades so that the Frontierland bridge, Shooting Arcade and Rancho side are walkways into the area. While the Golden Horseshoe side is turned into an exit and merges into the Adventureland bridge. Basically Froniterland is the entrance to the West side while the Adventureland bridge is the exit during Fantasmic!

The benches at the DLRR Main Street Station are also moved at firework time, the seats are usually reserved for guests on tours.

Also one more but Candlelight is a major mover when it comes to benches, and its temporary set up. Remember unlike other places DLR likes to ruin vacations with refurbs, major walls and closures :D

http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/Theme-Parks/Disneyland-Resort-12609/10562280_zp9ud#733645831_zDxQW
733645831_zDxQW-S.jpg

Hopefully that helps a bit :). Its actually kinda cool to see them very quickly rearrange everything, and then somehow put it all back like it never happened.

This is so amazing to me that they take the time to do such elaborate crowd control. I think WDW gave up on anything resembling crowd control 10 years ago. People just go wherever they want, climb over things, stop in the middle of heavy traffic flow, and take out anyone who happens to be in their way. Walking in WDW is hazardous to your health these days. This is precisely why I park myself on a bench for a good 45+ minutes after Illuminations, Wishes, or any MK parade. I value my feet and ankles too much. :lol:

TP2000

This is so amazing to me that they take the time to do such elaborate crowd control. I think WDW gave up on anything resembling crowd control 10 years ago.

Yes, us West Coasters have noticed when we visit WDW. :cool:

At Disneyland the benches are moved by CM's. They get teams of young guys to sweep through an area in early evening, with one guy on each end of the bench, and up and away it goes and is carried away to the location where it can do the most good. They move benches out of walkways and plazas to free up walking space, and they also use benches to act as barricades and walls to funnel people where they need to go, almost always forming different lanes of one-way traffic moving in different directions. All the benches and furniture is put back later that night after the entertainment event is over, so that by the time Disneyland is closing it's all back to normal and you'd never know that something huge happened a few hours earlier.

They also move hundreds of chairs and dozens of tables around the Carnation Plaza Gardens and Tomorrowland Terrace dance floors in the late afternoon each day, to prepare for dancing. Dancing is nightly in summer at both park locations, and at least on weekends the rest of the year. Big band dancing to the Disneyland Orchestra at Carnation Plaza Gardens, and rock n' roll bands at Tomorrowland Terrace. Dancing to live bands is something Magic Kingdom seems to have given up on decades ago, but Disneyland has kept up the tradition for 50+ years. It's a gracious touch I think, dancing under the stars at Disneyland to a live band with a date or loved one. Date Nite at Disneyland!

Carnation Plaza Gardens Seating By Day
9-59PlazaGardens.jpg

Carnation Plaza Gardens Dancing By Night
SwingDancing-123103-AVP.jpg

The tables and chairs in dining patios around New Orleans Square are moved the same way, but not quite as dramatically as the park benches or for dancefloor action. But they do get shifted and reorganized closer to Fantasmic!

The folding chairs and tables brought out for the Fantasmic! Dessert Buffet are rolled out on carts under covers, and then assembled in place in the area. A rolling hostess stand also gets set up for check-in procedures. Food and beverages are rolled out on carts closer to seating time for the buffet, and waitresses serve coffee and hot cocoa while you sit in your seat eating dessert. After the last Fantasmic! at 10:30PM, it's all cleaned up and rolled away again, so by 11:30PM it's all put back to normal for the last hour or so of Disneyland operation.

Fantasmic! Dessert Buffet area with coffee and hot water urns and tables set up in the back, under the light tower that rose from underground inside the poles and heavy rope nets set up by CM's in the late afternoon. This was a busy walkway an hour or two earlier.
11450IMG_80711.JPG

I think what Disneyland is doing here is making very, very efficient use of space, while still packing in as much entertainment into one small park as two or three WDW parks have combined. On the average summer night at Disneyland you've got the evening parade that leads into the first Fantasmic! that leads into the fireworks that leads into the second Fantasmic!, all while two big dancefloors are going strong, atmosphere talent is playing in the lands not affected by the spectaculars, and 45+ rides and attractions are operating. It's an amazing thing to experience really; a balmy SoCal summer night at Disneyland, and the crowd control CM's and all their little tricks really pull it all together.

At WDW, they seem to have a very different operating philosophy when it comes to evening entertainment. It's just one of those things that is different between the coasts. :wave:

World of Color will no doubt have many of the same tricks pulled out of thin air, perhaps even less obtrusive since the amphitheater was designed from scratch for this purpose. But I'm sure Disneyland management weighed in on exactly what they needed, and let WDI know exactly how their crowd control CM's would interact with the area and furniture.

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
Wow. My mind is still blown by all this. I guess since DL is so much smaller they had to get creative and do more with less. Efficiency to the max. I love that DL has dance floors in the summer...and it appears people actually dance too. MK only has dancing during hard ticket events and generally it is a ghost town.

I can't wait to see all this furniture moving and superior crowd control in action in July! 89 days and counting...:D

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
Getting back to WoC I noticed that the fencing installed is sit-proof. It would be virtually impossible and extremely uncomfortable :)eek:) for people to sit on those railings. Good work Disney! :lol:

(Although I think I will miss watching people falling off of railings...:lookaroun)

TP2000

Getting back to WoC I noticed that the fencing installed is sit-proof. It would be virtually impossible and extremely uncomfortable :)eek:) for people to sit on those railings. Good work Disney! :lol:

(Although I think I will miss watching people falling off of railings...:lookaroun)

I noticed that too when I checked out the area last weekend! They really thought of everything here. It shows, and pictures don't do it justice.

I was just thinking, as I spent some years living in the South myself, that maybe some of the bolted bench stuff in WDW is due to hurricanes and violent t-storms? You get so much as a heavy drizzle and a light wind in SoCal and all the locals here completely freak out and hide in their homes for three days. The only thing Disneyland would need to worry about is earthquakes, and even then the benches would just sort of wiggle around for a bit every few years.

I can't help but thinking that some of this operational difference is due to the climate of Central Florida.

But you don't have to bolt down those Paradise Park benches for fear of hurricanes or violent storms, they can just be picked up and moved every evening and then put back by a couple of CM's.

sponono88

A closer look at the new water play-area:

The fountains can do a variety of water effects. click here to see pictures of the different fountains - the one in Paradise Park should feature the Water Castle, Peacock, and Jet Pod, among others.

P1012629.jpg

IMG_5093.jpg

TP2000

I love that DL has dance floors in the summer...and it appears people actually dance too. MK only has dancing during hard ticket events and generally it is a ghost town.

Be careful, the dancers on a Saturday night at Carnation Plaza Gardens are pros! :eek: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xMKxKXcYEU&feature=related

Aside from the swing dancing at Plaza Gardens, I enjoy just watching the kids dance to the rock music at Tomorrowland Terrace, to see the latest teen dances and their goofy enthusiasm. You'll love a mid-summer visit to Disneyland, I'm sure!

And World of Color promises to add a brand new angle to the whole place! This show is going to be great, and it will be interesting to see how it changes and impacts the overall ebb and flow of evening crowds in Anaheim. That's a crowd scenario that has pretty much been the same for years now, but World of Color should change it up a bit and rewrite the book.

TP2000

What do you think if they added this song with the Chesire Cat scene?

That song is kind of, well, odd. Since it appears to have been deleted from the movie back in the 50's, I'm not sure that the audience would get it.

Is this a song that Alice fans would appreciate? Or is it mostly unknown?

sponono88

Hey, Paradise Park is now open and able to walk-through!

It looks like the lower boardwalk level is still blocked off, but the upper terraces are open in this high quality video taken yesterday. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3Wa0ntzHHQ

yep, they opened up the park on Sunday :) with the exception of the boardwalk. I also shot a video of Paradise Park at night - I posted it earlier in the thread.

[youtube]oedo6E_P1go[/youtube]

Testtrack321

A closer look at the new water play-area:

The fountains can do a variety of water effects. click here to see pictures of the different fountains - the one in Paradise Park should feature the Water Castle, Peacock, and Jet Pod, among others.

Question about the in-a-can system. How do they make sure enough water is supplied to all the fountains if they are individually self contained?

hpyhnt 1000

That is quite impressive by the folks at Disneyland with all the furniture moving; kudos to their hard work! :)

Really underscores kind of how lazy management and cast seems to be over here in the East... :(

sponono88

Question about the in-a-can system. How do they make sure enough water is supplied to all the fountains if they are individually self contained?

i'm not sure, but i'll try and get back to you on that. i'll ask the poster on MiceChat who knows all about fountains :)

MiceChat's Round-Up column had a WoC update from Al Lutz:

John G.: Have you heard anything new since your last update about the [DCA World of Color] lagoon show?

Al's Answer: That fancy new Paradise Park won't be peaceful for much longer. Thursday, June 10th has really firmed up in just the last few business days as the official date for the big World of Color celebrity media premiere, with twice-nightly performances thereafter, as we told you in last month's update. Soft openings for the show aren't as definite yet, but they are currently planned to begin in the middle of May, and perhaps only on weeknights at first.

possible soft openings in mid May! :sohappy:

sponono88

JonasClark was nice enough to provide this very detailed and in-depth description :) yep - this is why we call him the fountain expert!

Here's what I know, if you'd like to paste this over there:
Fountain In A Can is an answer to the traditional type of zero-depth fountain pioneered by WET Design, which has a shallow pool the size of the fountain zone, with pavers mounted at ground level. In this design, the pavers have narrow gaps between, and holes cut for nozzles and lights, which stand on the pool floor below.

Fountain In A Can eliminates the below-grade pool and, thus a lot of cost and effort in building. The cans contain nozzles and, if applicable, lights. Drain can be through separate drains, or through fountain cans with perforated top covers, the same as are used for fountains having lights. The water drains back to a below-grade tank, from which it is drawn, filtered, and pumped back to the cans/nozzles. I'm not sure if valves are housed in the cans, or if they're at the supply manifold, but the latter is more likely.

The Paradise Park play fountain has 69 Cans, 12 with lights. The center-most Can is, I believe, the Water Castle effect, two conical tiers of streams with another vertical in the center. The 12 Cans with grid tops are both drains and LED lights, and I think have a multi-stream foaming spray, producing a thick aerated tree of white water. A few of the other solid-top Cans have a flat slot opening for the aerated Peacock effect. Those that in photographs appear blank (they're in the majority) have five tiny mist sprayers, which create thick conical mist clouds; the Mee fog on the World of Color platform is fog, and this is mist, which forms a thick spray rather than a cloud and will get you very wet if you walk through it.

The fountains hidden in the Paradise Park planting areas are similar to the Fountain In A Can, but aren't the same; inside each vertical pipe is an assembly comprising the perforated top plate, a clear-stream nozzle, an LED ring, and an electric valve, attached to a water supply hose. To illustrate what these nozzles will look like in action, the Grid nozzles out on the platform are the same type of nozzle.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom