World of Color?

TP2000

SPOILER ALERT!

I just have to say how thrilled I am to hear the first 30 seconds of intro dialogue and music for this very 21st century show. Any Disney fan can't help but smile when you hear that 1960's announcer guy (so macho yet smooth sounding) proclaim loudly and proudly " Walt Disney Presents!... "

Who would have ever thought that the new Disney theme park that openly downplayed any ties to Walt Disney or his legacy 9 years ago would end up spending a Billion dollars to infuse Walt into the park, complete with a booming mid 20th century TV reference from Walt in his heyday!?! :sohappy:

nemofinder22

I only watched a few short segments then stopped, I wanted to watch the whole thing but I gotta be surprised :). But the soundtrack sounds amazing.

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
This is probably a stupid question that is answered elsewhere in the thread, but I don't have time to read all 20 pages. Is this a standing room only type thing or are there going to be seats? I recall initially reading that there would be an amphitheater but the 'viewing area' in all the pics I see looks like a fancy patio. Also, is it my imagination (and distance from which the pics have been taken) or does the viewing area look kind of small?

sponono88

Well, a video like this was bound to leak sooner or later. I don't think Steven Davison will be too happy about this..

However, this doesn't seem like the complete show - the segments are out of order and some scenes are missing. It seems like this was just a preview of random scenes for the executives who were supposedly there to see it. So for those who are wondering, this isn't the final version of the show. Watched a short snippet of it and it looks incredible - love the music.

Testtrack321

Well, a video like this was bound to leak sooner or later. I don't think Steven Davison will be too happy about this..

However, this doesn't seem like the complete show - the segments are out of order and some scenes are missing. It seems like this was just a preview of random scenes for the executives who were supposedly there to see it. So for those who are wondering, this isn't the final version of the show. Watched a short snippet of it and it looks incredible - love the music.

Music is great. I did notice this didn't seem to be finished, I mean, did they cut little squirt out of the show then?

sponono88

Music is great. I did notice this didn't seem to be finished, I mean, did they cut little squirt out of the show then?

Like I said, this seems to be more of a demo rather than the complete show. I haven't seen the whole thing but apparently Alice in Wonderland, Dr. Facilier, Little Squirt, among others, are missing in the video.

EpcotServo

It's also true that a show like this is changing all the time, and I wouldn't expect to see some of those things from the first rundowns.

That said, I don't consider it a spoiler since it'll feel entirely different in person. That and, even in video, it's AMAZING.

hpyhnt 1000

It's also true that a show like this is changing all the time, and I wouldn't expect to see some of those things from the first rundowns.

That said, I don't consider it a spoiler since it'll feel entirely different in person. That and, even in video, it's AMAZING.

Precisely. This is really one of those shows where you litterally have to be there, 50 feet away from the wall of water, surrounded by music and lights. It DOES look pretty cool. :)

cdunbar

Like I said, this seems to be more of a demo rather than the complete show. I haven't seen the whole thing but apparently Alice in Wonderland, Dr. Facilier, Little Squirt, among others, are missing in the video.
Yeah and I think I read somewhere it would be longer so, it does make sense then that those are missing.

sponono88

So initially I was a bit disappointed that this leaked out. I've seen what happens when people base their opinion on a video before the attraction officially opens (TSMM, Magical, etc.) It usually isn't pretty. But it seems like WoC is amazing enough that people haven't started complaining yet :lol:

I couldn't resist and watched more of the video. I'm blown away - it's absolutely perfect. The intro, the music, the lights. I can't imagine what this will look like from Paradise Park, with the surround sound going, projections, all the effects around the viewing area. And the full show will have better transitions; as I said before, this demo had the scenes all jumbled up.

Love the small touches as well.. like how they weaved in the Beauty and the Beast tune during "a red summer rose". :eek:

and to get a sense of the scale of this thing.. look at how tiny the viewing area looks compared to the fountains! the show is massive.

TP2000

I recall initially reading that there would be an amphitheater but the 'viewing area' in all the pics I see looks like a fancy patio. Also, is it my imagination (and distance from which the pics have been taken) or does the viewing area look kind of small?

Yup, it's standing room only, no seats provided, on four separate levels terraced into the side of the bay.

The viewing area is rather large, reportedly designed to hold 9,000 people standing. This latest video is taken from a rooftop quite a distance away, and at an angle that is nearly from the side of the "audience" where this show is aimed at.

Watching World of Color from the roof of the Grand Californian, as this video presents, would be like trying to watch Illuminations in the World Showcase Lagoon from the roof of the east wing of The Beach Club Resort. You could see much of Illuminations from there, and likely hear the music, but it would be a crummy view and you'd miss a lot of the nuance and details.

Add in the fact this is an amateur video shot with a tourists camera, and you realize we are just getting a tiny taste of what World of Color is all about. For those of us who have been watching this show come together in Paradise Bay for almost two years though, it's an awesome thing to watch! :lol:

sponono88

This is probably a stupid question that is answered elsewhere in the thread, but I don't have time to read all 20 pages. Is this a standing room only type thing or are there going to be seats? I recall initially reading that there would be an amphitheater but the 'viewing area' in all the pics I see looks like a fancy patio. Also, is it my imagination (and distance from which the pics have been taken) or does the viewing area look kind of small?

you have 20 pages? i'm at pg. 53 :)

I think the pictures make the area look smaller than it really is.. looking at it up close in person, it's actually quite big. This area mimics the style of the viewing area at DL's Fantasmic - it's a park by day, at night it turns into a viewing area for the show. Unlike Fantasmic at DHS where you have a separate amphitheater just for the show.

No seats here, although i'm not sure if they'll let you sit on the floor the way they do at Fantasmic. Rumors are that it will be standing room only, as TP said above.

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
Yup, it's standing room only, no seats provided, on four separate levels terraced into the side of the bay.

The viewing area is rather large, reportedly designed to hold 9,000 people standing. This latest video is taken from a rooftop quite a distance away, and at an angle that is nearly from the side of the "audience" where this show is aimed at.

Watching World of Color from the roof of the Grand Californian, as this video presents, would be like trying to watch Illuminations in the World Showcase Lagoon from the roof of the east wing of The Beach Club Resort. You could see much of Illuminations from there, and likely hear the music, but it would be a crummy view and you'd miss a lot of the nuance and details.

Add in the fact this is an amateur video shot with a tourists camera, and you realize we are just getting a tiny taste of what World of Color is all about. For those of us who have been watching this show come together in Paradise Bay for almost two years though, it's an awesome thing to watch! :lol:

I agree that the show looks amazing and I can't wait to see the finished product this July. 9,000 people standing is a whole lot of people! :eek:

you have 20 pages? i'm at pg. 53 :)

I think the pictures make the area look smaller than it really is.. looking at it up close in person, it's actually quite big. This area mimics the style of the viewing area at DL's Fantasmic - it's a park by day, at night it turns into a viewing area for the show. Unlike Fantasmic at DHS where you have a separate amphitheater just for the show.

No seats here, although i'm not sure if they'll let you sit on the floor the way they do at Fantasmic. Rumors are that it will be standing room only, as TP said above.

If you have the forum set to do 40 posts per page, its only 20 pages. :lol: I am somewhat disappointed by the standing room only thing. I realize this saves Disney a boatload of money, but I don't like feeling like I am in a mosh pit. Watching Illuminations is very unpleasant (and I absolutely LOVE Illuminations) when it is busy for this exact reason. I've been kicked, shoved, groped, yelled at, and stepped on nearly every time I have watched Illuminations or a parade when it is even remotely crowded. I hope people on the west coast are maybe slightly more polite and aware of personal space. :shrug: :lol: Also, I wonder how early in the evening they are going to let people start camping out for this show. Fantasmic in WDW opens up 2 hours early but sitting there for that long isn't so bad because you can carve out a decent amount of room for yourself on the benches. Spending 2 hours jockeying for space in a free form area sounds downright exhausting! :lol:

Disneyfanman

My wife pressed the CMs at the Blue Sky preview center last year for this very reason. She has a bad back and standing in a huge crowd for hours would be pretty hard on her. The CMs said that the finished version of the area would have a few areas (Like DL) on the fringes with limited seating from further away. She compared it to the outdoor seating area at DL outside the restaurant across the pathway. We always grab a seat there a couple of hours before Fantasmic and watch the show from a bit further away, alternating who watches the table while the other shops.

The master plan for DCA includes additional food options with outdoor seating (originally a Beer Garden, but now I understand simply tables near counter service restaurants). The view won't be perfect, but I think it will work for us. Another option may be Ariel's restaurant across the lagoon.

I'm positive that Disney has thought about this. Seeing Fantasmic is a pain, but if you scout around you can find what you need. Illuminations has many open seating options around the lagoon if you look for them early enough. I'm betting that the finished version of Paradise Pier will have options (although limited) for everyone.

sponono88

MintCrocodile has a video up featuring the new music for the Paradise Park area. I guess they wanted to have the music ready to go before the walls come down tomorrow night.

As Mint reported, the music seems to have only changed in the Paradise Park area only (which is themed to a turn-of-the-century seaside public park). I'm guessing this means they will have a different music loop for the Pier and boardwalk areas. I love it, really adds to the atmosphere of the area and should be a great addition to Paradise Park.

[youtube]nsXDV16WT9M[/youtube]

OCRegister is reporting that construction walls around the viewing area will be coming down overnight tomorrow, but there will barricades in place to block guest access. The park is expected to open for guests next week.

sponono88

This week Paradise Park has been extra busy with activity - it looks like teams from WDI have come in to look around and make sure everything is show-ready for guests. They were seen looking at everything from the rising stage, the water play area, etc.

1003919d.jpg

-picture by Open_at_the_close

And pictures of the the play fountains testing -

largepics27.jpg

largepics36.jpg

largepics33.jpg

TP2000

MintCrocodile has a video up featuring the new music for the Paradise Park area. I guess they wanted to have the music ready to go before the walls come down tomorrow night.

[youtube]nsXDV16WT9M[/youtube]

Wow, that's a huge difference from the music loop that has been playing there since 2001. It's very ragtime/jazz sounding, but also rather smooth and sophisticated. I like it!

Very cool, and what an important piece of the overall experience that is changing by the day in DCA!

sponono88

^ it's the small additions that can make the biggest difference. :)

now we just wait and see what music they will use for the pier. whether it'll be the same as we hear in the video, or maybe more upbeat to fit into the boardwalk theme. the jazzy music here is smooth and tranquil, fits the park atmosphere perfectly.

sponono88

Construction walls finally came down last night! the area feels more open finally and no more Hall of Walls :)

Paradise Park is still closed to guest access, however, and barricades have been put in place. The park should open for guests next week (April 14th).

first pictures are up, these are from DLDocumentary and MousePlanet, and dlnt.com

85011835-1f71c3dff8096ea6814cb40c2a.jpg

85007076.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom