Why no love for Toontown Fair?

mharrington

Original Poster
It seems to me, based on posters we've seen for the land anyways, that the Fab 5 will still have a decent sized prescence in the area, even though it's no longer ToonTown...I almost wonder if one of those tents back there will still house M&G's where you can meet circus versions of Mickey and the Gang.

No, the new meet-n-greet for Mickey and Minnie, at least, is now at Main Street in the Town Square Theater. Everyone keeps saying that this is their new "permanent" home. To me, "permanent" means "until the end of time". That, to me, means that this is the mice's new home at the park until the end of time. Or at least until the day something dramatic happens and they have to shut the resort down, whichever comes first. :rolleyes:

mharrington

Original Poster
The same way Goofy can go para-sailing without Mickey.

Mickey doesn't have to be around Goofy in order for Goofy to exist.

But don't you think it's kind of weird to have all the Disney characters just scattered all over the place?

Since1976

I didn't hate it, but Toontown Fair never quite got over its origins as a temporary land built for Mickey Mouse's Birthday. Sure, the cheap facades were eventually replaced with more permanent buildings, but even so there was always an unfinished, undercooked quality to the land (especially when one compares it to its more whimsical and elaborate Disneyland counterpart).

WishIwasThere

As for WDW's Toontown Fair? Eh, it was cute for what it was back in '88 as a temporary Birthdayland. But compared to the fully fleshed out and far more elaborate Mickey's Toontown in Anaheim and Tokyo, Mickey's Toontown Fair was hokey and extremely underwhelming.

Well stated. My thoughts exactly. Not sad to see it go, compard to DL Toontown, we got the short end of it again.

Goofnut1980

I never minded Toontown Fair, but it was kind of a let down compared to Toontown in DL. They didn't really use the land the way they could have. Having the word "fair" they could have used some of the fair type rides to get more people to the area!

Does anyone know if they are going to replace the whole tent structures that we have had for some time now with new brightly colored ones? Concept art shows them a tad bit different than now???

disney fan 13

I was thinking of doing both: having them all in one place AND scattered everywhere. What's wrong with doing both?

CHILD: I CAN'T BELIVE I SAW MICKEY MOUSE

DAD: YEAH LET'S GO RIDE DUMBO

IN FRONT OF DUMBO IS A MEET AND GREET WITH THE FAB FIVE

CHILD::eek::confused: HOW DID MICKEY GET OVER THERE SO FAST

DAD: UHHHH

CHILD: WAIT THERE ARE TWO MICKEY'S :cry::cry: MICKEY'S NOT REAL!!!!

TRIP RUINED

mharrington

Original Poster
CHILD: I CAN'T BELIVE I SAW MICKEY MOUSE

DAD: YEAH LET'S GO RIDE DUMBO

IN FRONT OF DUMBO IS A MEET AND GREET WITH THE FAB FIVE

CHILD::eek::confused: HOW DID MICKEY GET OVER THERE SO FAST

DAD: UHHHH

CHILD: WAIT THERE ARE TWO MICKEY'S :cry::cry: MICKEY'S NOT REAL!!!!

TRIP RUINED

So basically, Mickey and the gang can only be in one spot and nowhere else?

BrittanyRose428

I didn't care for it too much as I got older, but I loved it when I was younger. Now I'd kind of like to see something else go there though. If I had young kids I'd probably be more upset.

erasure fan1

I didn't care for it too much as I got older, but I loved it when I was younger. Now I'd kind of like to see something else go there though. If I had young kids I'd probably be more upset.

Not me. I have 2 young kids and Im not sad its closed in any way. My daughter was a bit upset she wouldn't get to ride the barnstormer this trip but once I told her it was going to be redone and then its coming back, she was fine.

Toon town gets no love from me for the simple reason that it felt so lacking. They took the cheap approach and it showed. Its not that the concept was bad, it was the execution of the idea.

Dznycrzy

I'm glad to see that area repurposed BUT I would love to have seen Mickey and Minnie's houses put somewhere. Isn't Mickey what got this whole thing started? :shrug:

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I'm glad to see that area repurposed BUT I would love to have seen Mickey and Minnie's houses put somewhere. Isn't Mickey what got this whole thing started? :shrug:

Yes, but those weren't Mickey's REAL houses. Those are in California.

The houses in Florida were merely their vacation condos that got repossessed by the bank because of the Condo investor group bankruptcy caused by the tough economic climate.

Mickey and Minnie were compensated for their loss and have invested their money into high yield bonds and have sworn to rebuild one day, but in the meantime will spend their time enjoying not having the upkeep and the dues.

Be happy for them. :wave:

MKCP 1985

Mickey Mouse's house did not get anything started. It didn't even exist at the Magic Kingdom until the 90s. The whole area of Mickey's Birthdayland probably set the real Fantasyland expansion back by 20 years. Finally, its gone, and good riddance.

The origins of Disneyland or the Magic Kingdom begin with Main Street USA, and that is as good a place as any for Mickey's home to exist for now. :)

LilSuzy

I liked Toontown, especially for the kiddos, I must admit with out them, I'd pass it up. However I thought Mickey and Minnie's houses were being saved? No?:shrug:

mp2bill

Not me. I have 2 young kids and Im not sad its closed in any way. My daughter was a bit upset she wouldn't get to ride the barnstormer this trip but once I told her it was going to be redone and then its coming back, she was fine.

Toon town gets no love from me for the simple reason that it felt so lacking. They took the cheap approach and it showed. Its not that the concept was bad, it was the execution of the idea.

Agreed. They need one at WDW that's like the one at DL.

jjharvpro

I enjoyed Toontown, have some great memories from Mickey & Minnie's houses and the Barnstormer. It did feel temporary, but it was still fun. And for little kids, it was magical! It sure was when I was younger. Though Storybook Circus will be a very good replacement I think.

MaryJaneP

Much like this thread, Toontown overstayed its welcome. The low quality permeated the area. I hope none of it was saved and I am truly sorry barnstormer is getting even 1 cent of refurb money that could be better spent elsewhere on an actual Disney ride, not some cheap carnival coaster. But some people actually liked it. Go figure.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom