Why no love for Toontown Fair?

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Well, maybe you don't, but I did. At least you could tell where he was this way.

Maybe it's just that I have Aspergers and like to see things done in a very particular way.

Does this "need" extend to all characters or only to Mickey?

When you meet Chip and Dale do you also feel the need to see their home?

mharrington

Original Poster
Does this "need" extend to all characters or only to Mickey?

When you meet Chip and Dale do you also feel the need to see their home?

Mainly, it extends to the Fab Five, but mostly to Mickey and Minnie.

I don't know, maybe I'm just not the type person who likes surprises.

Walt Disney1955

I thought Toontown fair was well done. I loved Barnstormer and am glad that ride is sticking around under a new name. The theming was nice around that area and I kind of wish I had more pictures from around there. I always took the train at that stop and went around the park at least once. However, the expansion seems to make up for anything we might miss from Toontown.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
I realize that the WDWMagic.com forum community is no fan of Mickey's Toontown Fair. Granted, I agree that it was not much, but what I would like to know is why so many people hated that land.

And please, no joking or sarcasm at any time.

Ikr? What's wrong with a magical circus land filled with crying toddlers and the main attractions are meet and greets, a kiddie coaster and a couple of play areas? No love for Toontown? :rolleyes:

Can't wait for Storybook Circus.. I'm actually looking forward to it!

unkadug

Mainly, it extends to the Fab Five, but mostly to Mickey and Minnie.

I don't know, maybe I'm just not the type person who likes surprises.

Then the surprise should have been that you used to be able to see Mickey and Minnie's homes, as NONE of the other Disney characters that populate the parks have homes that you could view.

unkadug

I think Disney could make a neat little "Gremlins" or "The 3 Little Pigs" dark ride! Anybody agree? :D

If we are to discuss a new dark ride at least let's use one of the MANY existing new dark rides threads. And why not at least use some of the franchises that are a little better known than the Disney Gremlins. How about a dark ride that based upon a movie that ACTUALLY got produced?

The Empress Lilly

I loved the place. :eek:

I remember when it was build as Mickey's Birthdayland in 1988. Back then it was one of the very few new things in the MK that decade. I thought it was a complete blast, I had a great time exploring all the new stuff.

I'm not a fan of the circus. Walt once planned for a circusland in DL, but rightfully discarded the idea. It doesn't fit.

MickeyPeace

Unlike the rest of MK, everything in Toontown was geared exclusively toward young children.
Beside that, it felt like a giant parking lot carnival.
One visit was enough for me.

TP2000

I'm not a fan of the circus. Walt once planned for a circusland in DL, but rightfully discarded the idea. It doesn't fit.

Walt Disney never planned a "circusland" for Disneyland. Walt did, however, plan and install a real, live, working circus at Disneyland. Walt branded it the "Mickey Mouse Club Circus" for synergy with his new children's TV show and put it on the perimeter of Fantasyland, about where the Matterhorn is today. The circus ran from November, 1955 to September, 1956. Once Walt had more unique attractions up and running and more in the pipeline for Disneyland by 1956, he cancelled plans for continuing the circus.

Mickey Mouse Club Circus Opening Day - November, 1955
MMCC_Reel1_856C_1L.jpg

Lots of info and creepy clown pictures of Disneyland's Mickey Mouse Club Circus can be found here... http://davelandweb.com/mmcc/

Tony Baxter, the famous Disneyland Imagineer, did create some plans for an expansion of Disneyland in the late 1970's called "Dumbo's Circusland", for the backside of Frontierland. It was to feature several spinning rides, a hot air balloon ride over the hills to Fantasyland, and an elaborate animatronic Mickey Mouse dark ride inside a fun house. It never received approval and the concept died by the early 1980's.

As for WDW's Toontown Fair? Eh, it was cute for what it was back in '88 as a temporary Birthdayland. But compared to the fully fleshed out and far more elaborate Mickey's Toontown in Anaheim and Tokyo, Mickey's Toontown Fair was hokey and extremely underwhelming. Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin, the signature dark ride of Mickey's Toontown, is one of the best and most elaborate classic dark rides there is.

Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin building - Mickey's Toontown, Disneyland
mickeys-toontown_alt.jpg

Without that ride, among others, and lacking the elaborate buildings creating a "downtown" and "suburbs" Imagineered storyline of the entire land, WDW's Toontown Fair felt cheap, disjointed, and very weak on actual attractions or activities.

The Empress Lilly

Walt Disney never planned a "circusland" for Disneyland.
Yes he did. Here's Walt pointing it out, between Main Street and tomorrowland:

walt_disney_disneyland_map_of_park.jpg

Going back even further in time, the famous very first bird's eye map of Disneyland that Walt and Herb Ryman drafted in a single weekend in 1953 already featured a Circusland, located back southwest of the hub.

WondersOfLife

If we are to discuss a new dark ride at least let's use one of the MANY existing new dark rides threads. And why not at least use some of the franchises that are a little better known than the Disney Gremlins. How about a dark ride that based upon a movie that ACTUALLY got produced?

Umm, dude, you're one to talk off topic yourself too.

Either way I wasn't talking off-topic, I'm thinking that those would be good dark rides for Storybook Circus! :D

TP2000

Yes he did. Here's Walt pointing it out, between Main Street and tomorrowland:

walt_disney_disneyland_map_of_park.jpg

Going back even further in time, the famous very first bird's eye map of Disneyland that Walt and Herb Ryman drafted in a single weekend in 1953 already featured a Circusland, located back southwest of the hub.

Walt's pencil actually points directly to the area between Schweitzer Falls and Trader Sam's hangout on the Jungle Cruise. :D

Behind Main Street on the other side of the map is just the circus tent Walt had Herbie put into the sketch for the bankers to fill in the dead space where the employee cafeteria was (and still is) and where the Dominguez house was that held the administration office and where the 1950's managers all parked their cars.

Regardless of what Walt had Herb sketch on a promotional bankers map and where exactly he sketched it, Walt actually installed a real working circus at Disneyland.

The circus didn't make it for opening day in July, 1955. But when Walt finally did open his circus in the park, about four months after Disneyland opened in November '55, it was put up in the open space shown on that map next to Fantasyland.

Disneyland circus grounds just beyond Fantasyland 1955
More%20holidayland.jpg

And there Walt's circus stayed, operating through 1956 until Walt realized it wasn't really working and he had bigger and better ideas for the park. The cafeteria and employee parking lot behind Main Street remains to this very day, in a couple different forms, where the circus tent was sketched in for the bankers.

Walt gave his Mickey Mouse Club Circus a real go, even staging circus parades down Main Street USA to drum up attendance. But it was a concept that just didn't seem to mesh with the overall Disneyland story and he abandoned it forever after the summer of '56.

Disneyland Circus Parade, Main Street USA 1956
!4.jpg

A marching band leads the crowd to Disneyland's Mickey Mouse Club Circus in 1955
W.D-Circus-Parade-1024x809.jpg

WondersOfLife

But this thread is about Toontown Fair. :rolleyes: Please stay on topic.

Dude, Toontown and Storybook Circus IS on topic. It's replacing Toontown, new dark rides would have made Toontown better, Storybook Circus will FIX the problem!

Oooh my god...really...how is Storybook Circus not focused on Toontown? It's replacing Toontown and will show WHY Toontown was a fail. Thank you, and have a magical day! :wave:

RonAnnArbor

I don't think Toontown was all that "hated" by anyone here --

What it was, though, was not seen as essential -- unless you have 4-year olds, it wasn't much of a destination for anything, known more as that area you pass through in order to get to the train....

It was never meant to be a permanent part of the Magic Kingdom, but it proved popular enough after its initial temporary period that they just left it there.

unkadug

Dude, Toontown and Storybook Circus IS on topic. It's replacing Toontown, new dark rides would have made Toontown better, Storybook Circus will FIX the problem!

Oooh my god...really...how is Storybook Circus not focused on Toontown? It's replacing Toontown and will show WHY Toontown was a fail. Thank you, and have a magical day! :wave:

Wrong, this thread is about why people do not like TT, not what is or could be replacing it.

And don't call me dude.

And that last part was just you making fun of Disney.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom