Why no love for Toontown Fair?

Jakester

Much like this thread, Toontown overstayed its welcome. The low quality permeated the area. I hope none of it was saved and I am truly sorry barnstormer is getting even 1 cent of refurb money that could be better spent elsewhere on an actual Disney ride, not some cheap carnival coaster. But some people actually liked it. Go figure.
I actually like the barnstormer, its one reason to venture over there (or when it was around).
I have many memories of riding it nonstop until park closing years ago.

WDWGoof07

I actually like the barnstormer, its one reason to venture over there (or when it was around).
I have many memories of riding it nonstop until park closing years ago.
The Great Goofini is the Barnstormer with a different theme. The coaster itself will still be the same when Storybook Circus opens.

mharrington

Original Poster
I just feel as though Toontown Fair's closing is an extremely sensitive issue with me. And everyone who enjoyed its closing just rubbed me the wrong way. I'm just lucky I've got Disneyland to fall back on, since it's got a reliable, appropriate spot for to meet Mickey and a nice Toontown, too.

koryadams

I am mad at Disney for closing it! I loved it ever since I was a little kid going to see where Mickey Lived! and its not like they have no land to build else where...I mean come on, Disneyland still gets to have its Toontown! They could build a whole park based on the fab 5 and more and create a much bigger toontown!

I hate seeing change and memories destroyed.... :'(

mharrington

Original Poster
I am mad at Disney for closing it! I loved it ever since I was a little kid going to see where Mickey Lived! and its not like they have no land to build else where...I mean come on, Disneyland still gets to have its Toontown! They could build a whole park based on the fab 5 and more and create a much bigger toontown!

I don't think a full-blown park is the way to go. I would love to see Toontown returned, but not necessarily like that.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Be happy for Mickey and friends...they are moving from a small shack in the suburbs to a nice Condo right on Main Street!

Thumbelina

I liked toon town. I was lucky enough to end up there on my last visit to MK. Glad I got to go and take some pictures before it left. I am sad that they got rid of Mickey and Minnie's summer houses! I loved them!

mharrington

Original Poster
One thing about my disappointment in Toontown's disappearance is this: a section in the book "Four Decades of Magic", in which one section is all about Mickey's Toontown Fair. Near the end of the section, it reads:

Many have fond memories of the different evolutions of the area and it was always a welcome alternative for young children frightened by the traditional Frantasyland dark rides with their scary themes and velvety black interiors.

But now, that same land is being encroached on and the young children won't have an alternative.

mharrington

Original Poster
Tony Baxter, the famous Disneyland Imagineer, did create some plans for an expansion of Disneyland in the late 1970's called "Dumbo's Circusland", for the backside of Frontierland. It was to feature several spinning rides, a hot air balloon ride over the hills to Fantasyland, and an elaborate animatronic Mickey Mouse dark ride inside a fun house. It never received approval and the concept died by the early 1980's.

The reason why it never got approved was because it was to be only a component of Discovery Bay, based on a Disney movie called "The Island At the Top of the World", and that movie (or so I read) just completely tanked at the box office and killed the Discovery Bay concept, taking Dumbo's Circusland with it. As David Koenig said in his book "Mouse Under Glass": "The subject must endure or be reconfigured to appeal to current audiences."

mharrington

Original Poster
Alternative to what? Fantasyland is as kid-friendly as it gets. The only scary dark ride is Snow White, and that's going to close soon.

But some of the dark rides tend to be unsettling towards kids simply because they're dark. Some kids are afraid of the dark.

TyrantBoss

Some things don't have to be for kids

But some of the dark rides tend to be unsettling towards kids simply because they're dark. Some kids are afraid of the dark.

As the country gravitated more and more toward Political Correctness overkill Disney caved. If some little kid finds dark rides scary, then don't take them on a dark ride until they are older. There are height restrictions on rides, there can be age restrictions or recommendations. (Not recommended for children who are under a certain age, or who are afraid of the dark).

The Alien Encounter is an example of a great ride, that people LOVED. It was a touch of a more adult approach to a ride, and Disney had signs posted all over warning people that is could be too intense for young children. But because people cannot, or choose not to, read they brought their young ones in there and they were scared.

Of course now we have the horrible Stitch Escape. It is an empty shell of what Alien Encounter used to be. And all because the masses have to suffer because someone has a kid who is scared. Meanwhile, 99% of the parks are kid friendly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom