Why is there no walkway from the Transportation and Ticket Center to Magic Kingdom?

Driver

You obviously don't know what you're talking about, perhaps you've been listening to some of those Traditions facilitators? Walt Disney died 12/15/66, groundbreaking of WDW occurred on 5/30/67, with construction beginning in April of '69. All work on the property took place well after Walt's death. The early work even after Walt's death was mostly drainage canals and preparing the land. We're talking about the basic concepts of how the property would be used and laid out here so blueprints aren't necessary to show that. If you would like to produce some blueprints to prove what you're saying feel free to. Also here's a link to back up the dates I provided.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...und-on-walt-disney-world-resort-45-years-ago/
Ok I'm done! I don't know what I'm talking about you say ? I've been in the construction business 35 yrs. Before you break ground you have to go through the permitting process . As well as the bid process which is how you get a contractor to actually "break ground ". If you start any construction before permitting you will get a cease and desist order. So " finalized drawings " are required for these two things to happen. You don't start cutting trees down on a hunch. That being said Walt would still have been alive to give those drawings his blessing. Lastly you said you went through "Traditions " 3 or 4 times! You can't remember something that happened to you personally as significant as this? But yet we are expected to give your account of what happened 50 or so years ago credibility, and you weren't even there! We are now way off topic, and I'm done! I will not respond to anymore of your post.

s8film40

Ok I'm done! I don't know what I'm talking about you say ? I've been in the construction business 35 yrs. Before you break ground you have to go through the permitting process . As well as the bid process which is how you get a contractor to actually "break ground ". If you start any construction before permitting you will get a cease and desist order. So " finalized drawings " are required for these two things to happen. You don't start cutting trees down on a hunch. That being said Walt would still have been alive to give those drawings his blessing. Lastly you said you went through "Traditions " 3 or 4 times! You can't remember something that happened to you personally as significant as this? But yet we are expected to give your account of what happened 50 or so years ago credibility, and you weren't even there! We are now way off topic, and I'm done! I will not respond to anymore of your post.
I don't even know what you're talking about. You claimed Walt was alive during construction of WDW, this is widely know to not be true. I showed you the dates that confirm construction began three years after his death. I showed you the master plan as it looked at the time of Walt's death and it clearly shows the original plans for the entrance center and no TTC in it's current location. The whole point of this from the beginning was that you claimed Walt was responsible for the concepts of the current TTC with it's "grand reveal" when approaching the MK. Additionally the video linked outlines in great detail most of the plans at the time, the video was shot one month prior to his death. You don't need to respond, I think I've clearly shown that what you first said that apparently came from a Traditions facilitator was completely false and that should be obvious to most by now.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Who in they right mind wants to walk that far?

Raises hand.

It's how far one walks from and to Epcot and DHS rather than take the ferries. We're not alone on that path. This is after a full day at one of the parks and then walking over to the other for their night show... and if you wind up at Epcot, walk another mile and a half to the bus with no choice of monorail or ferry to get to the buses.

lazyboy97o

Approved site work plans do not need the level of detail you are describing. Again, just go look at the Universal site. Or go look at any number of housing developments (including Golden Oak) that let people buy lots and build custom houses.

Fast track and early site work are real concepts.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Short answer: It would cost lots of money to build a pedestrian bridge over the water between the GF and MK and Disney would receive no revenue from it.

^^THIS. The bridge would have to be capable of rising to allow the water parade floats to enter/leave the Lagoon.

LAKid53

Premium Member
So many people doubtful of people being able to walk at the end of the day.

It's over a mile to walk from World Showcase to one's bus. It's over a mile to walk between DHS and Epcot, and people do it at the end of the day.

There are plenty of people who can walk all day long. They exist. I'm one of them.

Let alone all the marathoners...

Like me? Well, half marathon. 😃 After running 22.4 miles over 3 days, I have no problem walking...slowly. Part of recovery.

But as you, @Tuvalu & @marni1971 stated, there's a canal that separates the walkway. A very necessary water pathway. Would be nice to be able to walk from the other two monorail resorts to MK, but I can't see TDO spending the monies to construct a bridge that will rise to allow the water floats passage. Return on investment wouldn't make it feasible.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Or just build steps and have the ped. bridge elevated, allowing the floats to go under it.

Wouldn't ADA require appropriate access also? So a ramp would be needed for those in wheelchairs, scooters and families with strollers. I believe the floats are about 25 feet high.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Like me? Well, half marathon. 😃 After running 22.4 miles over 3 days, I have no problem walking...slowly. Part of recovery.

But as you, @Tuvalu & @marni1971 stated, there's a canal that separates the walkway. A very necessary water pathway. Would be nice to be able to walk from the other two monorail resorts to MK, but I can't see TDO spending the monies to construct a bridge that will rise to allow the water floats passage. Return on investment wouldn't make it feasible.

Well, if they ever build on the 'resort pad' once earmarked for the Venetian, it would make sense to have an elevated walkway on the Eastern side.

As far as cost benefit, safety and evacuation issues might force that hand. As it stands now, if for some terrible reason the MK needed to be evacked all at once, they'd be making the overflow crowd go over to the Contemporary. A footpath that continues to the TTC would be really useful in that situation. Safety and security are expenses that have to be paid or suffer the consequences.

Wouldn't ADA require appropriate access also? So a ramp would be needed for those in wheelchairs, scooters and families with strollers. I believe the floats are about 25 feet high.

Like the foot bridges at Disney Springs, the majority would use stairs or a long ramp and there'd be elevators for ADA compliance.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Well, if they ever build on the 'resort pad' once earmarked for the Venetian, it would make sense to have an elevated walkway on the Eastern side.

As far as cost benefit, safety and evacuation issues might force that hand. As it stands now, if for some terrible reason the MK needed to be evacked all at once, they'd be making the overflow crowd go over to the Contemporary. A footpath that continues to the TTC would be really useful in that situation. Safety and security are expenses that have to be paid or suffer the consequences.

Like the foot bridges at Disney Springs, the majority would use stairs or a long ramp and there'd be elevators for ADA compliance.

They can evacuate out the back by the float buildings. And isn't there also an entrance to the backstage area over by Big Top Souvenirs?

s8film40

The floats aren’t the only thing that needs to go through that canal though. The steamboat has to travel through to go around to the dry dock for maintenance and refurbishments. I’ve always heard the steamboat just barely fits under the monorail beam. So it would probably need to be around 60-70 feet tall.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
The floats aren’t the only thing that needs to go through that canal though. The steamboat has to travel through to go around to the dry dock for maintenance and refurbishments. I’ve always heard the steamboat just barely fits under the monorail beam. So it would probably need to be around 60-70 feet tall.

Footbridges could also be draw bridges or table bridges or submersible or any other type that gets out of the way of boats.

MAGICFLOP

I think there are many reasons for no foot path.

1. tunneling under the canals would be expensive (now that the 7 seas is full) for so few walkers.
2. If you went left past GF to arrive at the main gate, you would give guests bad ideas, ones they would not have thought of before.
3. I've gotta use the rest room and I can't make the rest of the way. I'll just run into the GF or Contemporary and use the restroom.
4. Dam its hot today (95 F. plus 98% humidity), I really need something to drink or I'll pass out..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom