Why is there no walkway from the Transportation and Ticket Center to Magic Kingdom?

slappy magoo

There are lots of reasons why, practically speaking, it's not feasible to build a walkway like that. But even if it were super cheap, even if it were free, to build a secure weatherproof walkway wide enough to accommodate the throngs of people willing to walk to and fro the TTC without any issues with getting in the way of ferries...WDW still wouldn't do it because they'd fear it would encourage more people to drive to the TTC, and if you have a car, you might not feel the need to stay on property. They already faced a lot of bad PR when they started charging hotel guests for overnight parking; I don't know if that affected occupancy or if people just opted not to have a rental car or not to drive to WDW. But they want you on property for the duration of your trip. Giving you a reason to drive to the TTC is a reason for you to have a car which is a reason for you to save a lot of money staying offsite (andf mind you this bitter sounding diatribe is coming from a DVC member so I always stay onsite; I just know where their motives lie and it's rarely YOUR convenience).

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
There are lots of reasons why, practically speaking, it's not feasible to build a walkway like that. But even if it were super cheap, even if it were free, to build a secure weatherproof walkway wide enough to accommodate the throngs of people willing to walk to and fro the TTC without any issues with getting in the way of ferries...WDW still wouldn't do it because they'd fear it would encourage more people to drive to the TTC, and if you have a car, you might not feel the need to stay on property. They already faced a lot of bad PR when they started charging hotel guests for overnight parking; I don't know if that affected occupancy or if people just opted not to have a rental car or not to drive to WDW. But they want you on property for the duration of your trip. Giving you a reason to drive to the TTC is a reason for you to have a car which is a reason for you to save a lot of money staying offsite (andf mind you this bitter sounding diatribe is coming from a DVC member so I always stay onsite; I just know where their motives lie and it's rarely YOUR convenience).

I dunno. WDW is getting paid for people to park (one way or another).

Everyone outside the bubble has to drive in or take a non-Disney bus and wind up at TTC. Then Disney has to operate a monorail and ferry (with buses as back-up) to transport them all back and forth from TTC to the MK gate. And, they have to have enough modes of transport to handle peak times.

A walkway is a release valve for the hour-wait for the ferry/monorail (or for when they break down). To everyone who complains about the wait, WDW would be able to say, "Well... you can walk." And people who like to walk can walk. The walk along the Eastern side would only be about five minutes longer than the walk from Epcot <--> DHS, which allows folks to skip the ferries.

Driver

I find it ironic that a place as large at Disney wants to suggest that people shouldn't walk. Don't studies show people walk on average 7 miles a day at Disney? I just don't see the harm in allowing guests that don't want to wait for a monorail to walk back to their car. In regards to security, I just can't fathom criminals paying a 20$ parking fee and walking so far to go harm someone who is unlikely to be far enough from others who can either rescue or at least witness the incident. Plus, would it kill them to employ 2 or 3 more security guards to patrol the path? This doesn't seem like a massive investment to me. Sure it'll cost a million or two but it seems a lot cheaper than ordering new monorails or doubling the bus fleet.
You are certainly entitled to your opinion. But my guess is "paying $20 parking fee" is not a concern for a criminal determined to hurt someone. Which would explain why security is so tight for guest entering the park, from the parking area. All persons are checked in some form or fashion with the assumption that they wish to enter the park. On September 11,2001 men crashed planes into buildings and went through a lot of trouble and expense to learn how to fly them, so they could carry out this terrible deed.There are other horrible events that have taken place where the perpetrators had no concern for how their acts would affect them. The shooting at the Orlando nightclub comes to mind, that was very close to home in this case. We don't always get to know what drives them to do these things but they do them nonetheless. 😟

Scooter

Seems to me I read somewhere that Disney intentionally designed it this way so you would feel "Transformed" from the world of reality to the Magic Kingdom world of fantasy once you got off the boat or the monorail. Having a walkway from the Ticket and Transportation Center to Magic Kingdom would take away that effect. Of course all this was designed before Epcot and the other two parks were conceived so nowadays it all seems moot to those of us who go to Disney World frequently.

Driver

Seems to me I read somewhere that Disney intentionally designed it this way so you would feel "Transformed" from the world of reality to the Magic Kingdom world of fantasy once you got off the boat or the monorail. Having a walkway from the Ticket and Transportation Center to Magic Kingdom would take away that effect. Of course all this was designed before Epcot and the other two parks were conceived so nowadays it all seems moot to those of us who go to Disney World frequently.
You are absolutely right about the transition between reality and fantasy. This was Walts plan [Walt Quote] " I don't want the public to see the world they live in while they are in the park, I want them to feel they are in another world." He wanted TTC to be the " Port of Embarkation ". An unexpected outcome to this design is security genius by not allowing vehicles close to the entrance of the park. We see this double layer of security at TTC , were guest are brought in by tram. And those areas are protected by physical barriers of some form or another .

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
You are absolutely right about the transition between reality and fantasy. This was Walts plan [Walt Quote] " I don't want the public to see the world they live in while they are in the park, I want them to feel they are in another world." He wanted TTC to be the " Port of Embarkation ". An unexpected outcome to this design is security genius by not allowing vehicles close to the entrance of the park. We see this double layer of security at TTC , were guest are brought in by tram. And those areas are protected by physical barriers of some form or another .

Another unexpected outcome is that it makes the other parks an easy alternative target.

Seeing the MK come into view via monorail or ferry is magical. Packed in with a horde of humanity with an hour wait... not so magical.

There was a design flaw in that plan starting about a million extra guests ago...

Driver

Another unexpected outcome is that it makes the other parks an easy alternative target.

Seeing the MK come into view via monorail or ferry is magical. Packed in with a horde of humanity with an hour wait... not so magical.

There was a design flaw in that plan starting about a million extra guests ago...
The other parks also have the barrier protection and some distance to vehicle proximity. However I think we can all agree criminals determined to bring harm will overcome obstacles. Security layers also go a long way to making other locations path of lesser resistance. Case in point, it was discovered in the Orlando nightclub case that the perpetrator had considered Disney Springs but settled on the nightclub because it had easier access.
" Hour or more wait not so magical" I agree! But I think we could also say Walt probably had no clue that WDW would become the vacation destination it turned out to be. "Design flaw" ? I don't think I can agree with it being a flaw. I would describe it as being outgrown . And I default to its huge success as a vacation destination. That being said and all of us being the fans we are, would we want to tear it up for a make over? Or love it the way it is for the nostalgia. My personal opinion, I couldn't imagine changing his plan because of the sentimental value. Do we want to change Walts design? And my next thought is how far do you carry that out. Would it lose its appeal? These are just my personal thoughts of course and I'm curious how others would feel about change.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
The other parks also have the barrier protection and some distance to vehicle proximity. However I think we can all agree criminals determined to bring harm will overcome obstacles. Security layers also go a long way to making other locations path of lesser resistance. Case in point, it was discovered in the Orlando nightclub case that the perpetrator had considered Disney Springs but settled on the nightclub because it had easier access.
" Hour or more wait not so magical" I agree! But I think we could also say Walt probably had no clue that WDW would become the vacation destination it turned out to be. "Design flaw" ? I don't think I can agree with it being a flaw. I would describe it as being outgrown . And I default to its huge success as a vacation destination. That being said and all of us being the fans we are, would we want to tear it up for a make over? Or love it the way it is for the nostalgia. My personal opinion, I couldn't imagine changing his plan because of the sentimental value. Do we want to change Walts design? And my next thought is how far do you carry that out. Would it lose its appeal? These are just my personal thoughts of course and I'm curious how others would feel about change.

You presume there wouldn't be a security check at the TTC to access the walkway.

PplMover

if you’ve called lately- rooms are pretty much booked up on property ... October was completely booked... was looking for a quick feb getaway and not much left.

thomas998

if you’ve called lately- rooms are pretty much booked up on property ... October was completely booked... was looking for a quick feb getaway and not much left.
I you really want to stay on property in October use a site like Travelocity, they are showing room's in lots of Disney hotels from the All Star's to the deluxe resorts. I just check the week of the 20th in October and there were lots of different options available. I think what is happening is that more of the rooms are getting taken by the travel sites that then resell them which ends up making it look like all the hotels are filled when people call Disney direct. Even more confusing is that you can often get the rooms cheaper from the travel sites than from Disney. So if you are looking for some dates in October give some of the travel sites a shot before you give up hope.

PplMover

I you really want to stay on property in October use a site like Travelocity, they are showing room's in lots of Disney hotels from the All Star's to the deluxe resorts. I just check the week of the 20th in October and there were lots of different options available. I think what is happening is that more of the rooms are getting taken by the travel sites that then resell them which ends up making it look like all the hotels are filled when people call Disney direct. Even more confusing is that you can often get the rooms cheaper from the travel sites than from Disney. So if you are looking for some dates in October give some of the travel sites a shot before you give up hope.
Sorry should have clarified ... Oct 2018 and Feb 2019.... if all rooms were booked 10-11 months out- Yeesh!

thank you for the tip on checking other sites. I typically book Y&B through Disney or buy from DVC sellers if there isn’t an option for “free” dining.... it’s funny how you sometimes don’t need think of things until someone says something and then it’s like oh duh!

Driver

You presume there wouldn't be a security check at the TTC to access the walkway.
No not at all, but as mentioned this "walkway " would be over a mile long. Depending on how it would be routed what about security along its length? OP did mention security along its length as "patrols ", again non issue because they do have bicycles. But another point that was mentioned is , just how much it would actually get used. That's a question we really can't answer. Just about all the guest I encounter are all pooped out by the end of the day. And when they get to TTC they would still have to walk to their vehicles or take the tram. Guest with young children or elderly are not likely to use the walkway. Also what about guest who are first timers? Seeing a walkway may lead them to believe it's not very far if they are not familiar with the property. It could be an unpleasant surprise to be partway through and come too the realization of just how far it is.

Goofyernmost

I'm not sure he even knew there was going to be a TTC. He died four years before they even started constructing it. Not to mention the fact that at that time he was completely focused on his City of Tomorrow. He had left the set up for MK up to the Imagineers because it was very similar to Disneyland and his input wasn't really needed nor did he want to be part of that planning. He had bigger fish to fry. However, that said... it was a brilliant design. If anyone had ever been there when MK was all there was. It was so exciting to ride the Monorail or take the Ferries. They only reason why any complaints show up know is because of the inability of vacationing guests to actually relax and enjoy the total experience. Nope, it's got to be everything right now. No anticipation, no wonder.

Besides it is a mile walk from TTC and frankly one is going to do enough walking throughout the day. It would end up being a one way walk by the time the day was done. Besides the time it would take to walk that distance one could have ridden there about three time. It would be a huge expense that would be used by very few as well as be a pita to maintain security. Another thing that most don't think about is that cold blooded critters tend to head for the warmest spot (paved area) after dark. If one was lucky they would be likely to have to step over a lot of slimy things as well as an occasional large mouth prehistoric creature. Just made no sense to do that. Way to much nature between TTC and MK.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
So many people doubtful of people being able to walk at the end of the day.

It's over a mile to walk from World Showcase to one's bus. It's over a mile to walk between DHS and Epcot, and people do it at the end of the day.

There are plenty of people who can walk all day long. They exist. I'm one of them.

Let alone all the marathoners...

ABQ

After close, I've witnessed people walking with strollers down the path toward the Floridian. I just wanted to yell from the monorail. "turn around...there's no bridge!!"

It really must happen quite often. Are there signs?
As they now have to walk around the bag check for the boat launch passengers coming from the Poly and GF to get there, they are aware it goes nowhere, as I heard the security folks telling many people that as I waited to board a launch. It's also a smoking zone where you see a couple benches just past the dock.

righttrack

Conceptually, you are being transported to a special place. The idea is that you can't walk there. You are to suspend disbelief, come through this transportation center and get on the monorail or boat to get there. This was the original concept, and I realize now with more resorts and buses, etc, this concept is broken, but this is the original concept and people who want that purist approach can still do it.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Conceptually, you are being transported to a special place. The idea is that you can't walk there. You are to suspend disbelief, come through this transportation center and get on the monorail or boat to get there. This was the original concept, and I realize now with more resorts and buses, etc, this concept is broken, but this is the original concept and people who want that purist approach can still do it.

It was broken with a walking path from the Contemporary.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom