Why is there no walkway from the Transportation and Ticket Center to Magic Kingdom?

justintheharris

Original Poster
I've noticed that there is a path that goes from the Transportation and Ticket Center to the Polynesian. Then, it continues to the Grand Floridian and then it just stops. Similarly, there's a path between the Monorail Station at the Magic Kingdom and the Seven Seas Lagoon that starts heading towards the Grand Floridian that also just abruptly stops! With how hectic it has gotten at park closing at Magic Kingdom, why can't Disney invest a small amount of money into completing a pathway? This way, they can have a somewhat reasonably solution for guests who don't want to wait over an hour for the Monorail. I know a lot of people instinctively want to tell me how far the walk is but I honestly would have no problem walking the mile as I could do that in about 10 minutes and I'm willing to bet there are plenty of families who would opt for a long walk over a long wait just to get back to their car. Is this because they're afraid of a stampede of guests through Deluxe resorts?

justintheharris

Original Poster
This ^^^^^^ and Disney doesn't promote "walking" on property ( except for chosen areas) and that's by design. A big part of that is driven by security.
I find it ironic that a place as large at Disney wants to suggest that people shouldn't walk. Don't studies show people walk on average 7 miles a day at Disney? I just don't see the harm in allowing guests that don't want to wait for a monorail to walk back to their car. In regards to security, I just can't fathom criminals paying a 20$ parking fee and walking so far to go harm someone who is unlikely to be far enough from others who can either rescue or at least witness the incident. Plus, would it kill them to employ 2 or 3 more security guards to patrol the path? This doesn't seem like a massive investment to me. Sure it'll cost a million or two but it seems a lot cheaper than ordering new monorails or doubling the bus fleet.

PplMover

I've noticed that there is a path that goes from the Transportation and Ticket Center to the Polynesian. Then, it continues to the Grand Floridian and then it just stops. Similarly, there's a path between the Monorail Station at the Magic Kingdom and the Seven Seas Lagoon that starts heading towards the Grand Floridian that also just abruptly stops! With how hectic it has gotten at park closing at Magic Kingdom, why can't Disney invest a small amount of money into completing a pathway? This way, they can have a somewhat reasonably solution for guests who don't want to wait over an hour for the Monorail. I know a lot of people instinctively want to tell me how far the walk is but I honestly would have no problem walking the mile as I could do that in about 10 minutes and I'm willing to bet there are plenty of families who would opt for a long walk over a long wait just to get back to their car. Is this because they're afraid of a stampede of guests through Deluxe resorts?

Ugh how far do you think that is AND how fast do you think you’re pacing a (walking)
mile with a family and/or even solo? also how’s that walk gonna happen without disrupting bus traffic?

I do however agree the path to GF should be completed

justintheharris

Original Poster
Ugh how far do you think that is AND how fast do you think you’re pacing a (walking)
mile with a family and/or even solo? also how’s that walk gonna happen without disrupting bus traffic?

I do however agree the path to GF should be completed
Well I must admit my bias. I am a runner. I ran the Disney marathon. I'm not going to give you a number of how far it is just so you can tell me that I'm wrong. I'm well aware it is more than a mile walk. Next, the buses are not a concern on the West side of the Seven Seas Lagoon. Third, I'm not saying close the monorail or ferry or buses. I'm saying there should be an option to walk for those who are willing to do so. If me and my three friends would rather walk, that's 4 less people standing in line for the monorail. Then, when people complain to about how hectic it is leaving Magic Kingdom at close, it's no longer a scenario of "well sorry that's just how it is" but one of "well you have the option to walk instead of waiting two hours"

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The walk from the MK gate to the beginning of the parking lot would be about 1.7 miles.

Besides a bridge being built over the canal, there'd have to be a lot of landscaping changes to GF so that walkers have a somewhat direct path through GF without accessing back stage areas, or walking through parking lots or pool areas, which would ordinarily be fine for a few people to pass through, but not hundreds. Then you'd have complaints from GF guests about the noise and traffic from hoi polloi.

Now, if they had a pedestrian walkway the other side and built a pedestrian bridge there and then followed a path along the monorail, then it would only be 1.2 miles and no cutting through a resort.

justintheharris

Original Poster
The walk from the MK gate to the beginning of the parking lot would be about 1.7 miles.

Besides a bridge being built over the canal, there'd have to be a lot of landscaping changes to GF so that walkers have a somewhat direct path through GF without accessing back stage areas, or walking through parking lots or pool areas, which would ordinarily be fine for a few people to pass through, but not hundreds. Then you'd have complaints from GF guests about the noise and traffic from hoi polloi.

Now, if they had a pedestrian walkway the other side and built a pedestrian bridge there and then followed a path along the monorail, then it would only be 1.2 miles and no cutting through a resort.
MisterPenguin, you are a genius/the best. If only Disney listened lol.
I can now see on google earth how they could build a path that starts near the bus loop and heads towards the one water bridge and could continue on to the TTC

PplMover

Well I must admit my bias. I am a runner. I ran the Disney marathon. I'm not going to give you a number of how far it is just so you can tell me that I'm wrong. I'm well aware it is more than a mile walk. Next, the buses are not a concern on the West side of the Seven Seas Lagoon. Third, I'm not saying close the monorail or ferry or buses. I'm saying there should be an option to walk for those who are willing to do so. If me and my three friends would rather walk, that's 4 less people standing in line for the monorail. Then, when people complain to about how hectic it is leaving Magic Kingdom at close, it's no longer a scenario of "well sorry that's just how it is" but one of "well you have the option to walk instead of waiting two hours"
Didn’t mean to come off super snarky.. but it’s unrealistic. It will never happen GF way except for GF guests. That’s their flagship and the path would take a flood of people right by Marina and in heart of their resort... zero chance
Then other option is existing contemporary path and walking that path in front of that resort and then you HAVE to cross at somepoint

I understand- I often stay at Yacht & Beach and powerwalk the heck out of the walk to HS.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I've noticed that there is a path that goes from the Transportation and Ticket Center to the Polynesian. Then, it continues to the Grand Floridian and then it just stops. Similarly, there's a path between the Monorail Station at the Magic Kingdom and the Seven Seas Lagoon that starts heading towards the Grand Floridian that also just abruptly stops!
There’s a canal in the way. And a canal in the way.

The amount of people willing or wanting to walk wouldn’t be worth the cost involved.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Perhaps that is the case now but I was thinking with increases in attendance over the coming years, the amount of guests willing to walk rather than wait a long time for a monorail will increase.
The enhanced bus service seems to be a good addition and possibly a better alternative than walking for your average guest.

We had an “expedited exit” from the MK this year due to an approaching electrical storm. Admittedly the west bypass helped avoid Main Street so far as town square, but to my amazement we went from the hub ten minutes after HEA to the parking lot tarmac in 25 minutes via bus.

They can do it when they want to.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom