Why is there no walkway from the Transportation and Ticket Center to Magic Kingdom?

Goofyernmost

It was broken with a walking path from the Contemporary.
Not really, the Contemporary almost sits inside the MK, their viewpoint is that they are already there. There is no anticipatory section of any Contemporary stay. That is the one and only WDW resort that actually is in the total immersion bubble. It made no sense to not have a sidewalk there. I believe initially the resort train ran to MK in a counter clockwise direction because of the closeness of MK to that resort. The Poly was about equal either way.

Goofyernmost

So many people doubtful of people being able to walk at the end of the day.

It's over a mile to walk from World Showcase to one's bus. It's over a mile to walk between DHS and Epcot, and people do it at the end of the day.

There are plenty of people who can walk all day long. They exist. I'm one of them.

Let alone all the marathoners...
No one ever said that there weren't people that could or would walk the mile there and/or back. But the numbers would not warrant the expense of building a path that entire way or the cost of security to protect it. The biggest physical cost was going to be the required bridge over the canal when multiple transportation options exist already. Maybe those with that much energy can run in place while riding the Monorail or the Ferry's.

Smooth

1545152602252.png

cheezbat

The other parks also have the barrier protection and some distance to vehicle proximity. However I think we can all agree criminals determined to bring harm will overcome obstacles. Security layers also go a long way to making other locations path of lesser resistance. Case in point, it was discovered in the Orlando nightclub case that the perpetrator had considered Disney Springs but settled on the nightclub because it had easier access.
" Hour or more wait not so magical" I agree! But I think we could also say Walt probably had no clue that WDW would become the vacation destination it turned out to be. "Design flaw" ? I don't think I can agree with it being a flaw. I would describe it as being outgrown . And I default to its huge success as a vacation destination. That being said and all of us being the fans we are, would we want to tear it up for a make over? Or love it the way it is for the nostalgia. My personal opinion, I couldn't imagine changing his plan because of the sentimental value. Do we want to change Walts design? And my next thought is how far do you carry that out. Would it lose its appeal? These are just my personal thoughts of course and I'm curious how others would feel about change.
MK was designed for 10 million guests...getting more than double that and using a fleet of monorails past their expiration has really made MK a nightmare to get to and to leave. I do not find the trip on the monorail, bus, or ferry ‘magical’ by any means anymore.
I am one of those people who would not mourn the loss of the seven seas Lagoon and monorails and ferries if it meant I could get in and out of MK in less than an hour. There’s a reason they never built a Resort after WDW with the same kind of ‘grand reveal’....it’s an operational nightmare now.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
DisneylandParis does have a train that runs from Paris that has a stop right in front of DLP though. I thought that was pretty cool. Now that's a grand entrance!
It does. I think though the grandest entrance in Paris is via their “World Drive” - Avenue Paul Seramy is 2.5 miles long, dead straight, and if you could physically drive in a straight line past the gates at the end you would end up in the hub.

E4A47BE6-06E0-4AE6-8892-6BC2D2B57780.jpeg

Driver

MK was designed for 10 million guests...getting more than double that and using a fleet of monorails past their expiration has really made MK a nightmare to get to and to leave. I do not find the trip on the monorail, bus, or ferry ‘magical’ by any means anymore.
I am one of those people who would not mourn the loss of the seven seas Lagoon and monorails and ferries if it meant I could get in and out of MK in less than an hour. There’s a reason they never built a Resort after WDW with the same kind of ‘grand reveal’....it’s an operational nightmare now.
MK cannot handle 10 million guest not even close. That's a fact, not sure where you got your info but I get mine from management.

Driver

I'm not sure he even knew there was going to be a TTC. He died four years before they even started constructing it. Not to mention the fact that at that time he was completely focused on his City of Tomorrow. He had left the set up for MK up to the Imagineers because it was very similar to Disneyland and his input wasn't really needed nor did he want to be part of that planning. He had bigger fish to fry. However, that said... it was a brilliant design. If anyone had ever been there when MK was all there was. It was so exciting to ride the Monorail or take the Ferries. They only reason why any complaints show up know is because of the inability of vacationing guests to actually relax and enjoy the total experience. Nope, it's got to be everything right now. No anticipation, no wonder.

Besides it is a mile walk from TTC and frankly one is going to do enough walking throughout the day. It would end up being a one way walk by the time the day was done. Besides the time it would take to walk that distance one could have ridden there about three time. It would be a huge expense that would be used by very few as well as be a pita to maintain security. Another thing that most don't think about is that cold blooded critters tend to head for the warmest spot (paved area) after dark. If one was lucky they would be likely to have to step over a lot of slimy things as well as an occasional large mouth prehistoric creature. Just made no sense to do that. Way to much nature between TTC and MK.
TTC was most certainly his idea. That's how it is taught at Disney University. However I do agree with your remark about critters of the night. Very good point!

s8film40

TTC was most certainly his idea. That's how it is taught at Disney University. However I do agree with your remark about critters of the night. Very good point!
TTC as we know it was not designed or planned until long after Walt was gone. The idea of parking and being transported to the park was indeed Walt's plan, but not for the purpose of a grand reveal. It was planned that way so guests visiting the theme park would be forced to see EPCOT. Without EPCOT having been built and with the TTC being built so close to the park it never could have and never did live up to the purpose Walt had intended. Also many things taught at Disney University are complete fiction just designed to make people feel good about WDW and portray a positive attitude toward WDW.

s8film40

Ten million divided by 365 comes out to about 27,000 a day, which is very easy for the MK to handle.
Yep and about twice that sounds almost as overcrowded as MK is sometimes so these numbers while probably wrong are at least pointing in the correct direction. But I think we can safely say MK is at or above ten million.

Attachments

• C862DEF1-E8B9-40D0-864A-8FF6573073E7.jpeg
    C862DEF1-E8B9-40D0-864A-8FF6573073E7.jpeg
    115.4 KB · Views: 87

Goofyernmost

It does. I think though the grandest entrance in Paris is via their “World Drive” - Avenue Paul Seramy is 2.5 miles long, dead straight, and if you could physically drive in a straight line past the gates at the end you would end up in the hub.

View attachment 334445
I was staying in Paris and rode the train to Disneyland. Didn't have a car, but, wouldn't have used it anyway. I love trains. It was a very comfortable trip to DLP, but, the trip back to Paris was a lot more crowded. You probably know that the commuter type trains have two levels with stairs leading up to the second. When full, many people stand on the stairs. I was standing at the bottom of the stairs and when the train started moving, after a stop, a lady lost her balance and fell from the stairs. I caught her with my right arm and stopped her for smashing into the floor. I manage to do something to my right shoulder that 3 years later is still a problem and I didn't get as much as a Merci from the lady. It was still a fun trip though. I guess that part of the fun of riding up to the entrance in a train, for me, was mostly due to the train ride itself.

Last edited:

Driver

Ten million divided by 365 comes out to about 27,000 a day, which is very easy for the MK to handle.
Using that calculation yes it would absolutely work but he didn't specify " a year" or "each day" . If you go by each day that's not a heavy crowd and is indeed do able. 27,000 that is. If you read his post nothing eludes to per year. So I had to assume he meant per day which is why I said " no way"

lazyboy97o

Using that calculation yes it would absolutely work but he didn't specify " a year" or "each day" . If you go by each day that's not a heavy crowd and is indeed do able. 27,000 that is. If you read his post nothing eludes to per year. So I had to assume he meant per day which is why I said " no way"
Parks are designed to an annual attendance and the 10 million visitors design of the Magic Kingdom is rather well known.

Driver

TTC as we know it was not designed or planned until long after Walt was gone. The idea of parking and being transported to the park was indeed Walt's plan, but not for the purpose of a grand reveal. It was planned that way so guests visiting the theme park would be forced to see EPCOT. Without EPCOT having been built and with the TTC being built so close to the park it never could have and never did live up to the purpose Walt had intended. Also many things taught at Disney University are complete fiction just designed to make people feel good about WDW and portray a positive attitude toward WDW.
What do you have to prove what you say is fact? And what proof do you have that what is taught at DU is fictional? Also how do you even know what is taught at DU?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom