Why Hollywood Studios is being rebuilt

TalkingHead

I agree (and not many people too). While the full RSR would be better, a complete indoor attraction using great sets and animatronics like in RSR with possibly some more show scenes and a change in story can be a great family dark ride.

Here's my guess: it'll be the indoor scenes of RSR but more simplified. Maybe the AAs will be more basic or the effects won't be as ambitious.

Why would they simplify the show scenes for MGM's?

They've had trouble keeping RSR fully functioning. Anyone see this story from TPI: http://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201306/3525/

The accompanying video is embarrassing. Wonder if TDO would want to tangle with another unreliable ride.

pheneix

Original Poster
The only reason the Indy Stunt Show and Beauty and the Beast are still around are because they are ridiculously high capacity venues that can pull a lot of ppl off the streets when they need to. This is also the only reason why anyone thought bringing Lawsuit City- er, Lights Motors Action to DHS was a good idea.

The removal of the two stunt show venues will require whatever replaces them to have substantial throughput to replace the capacity lost. An added bonus to bringing new rides to this real estate is that the winning proposals are both completely indoor attractions that can operate rain or shine, something DHS desperately needs.

EDIT: If someone touched on this in an earlier post I missed it. This board is way too much to follow now!

Taylor

The only reason the Indy Stunt Show and Beauty and the Beast are still around are because they are ridiculously high capacity venues that can pull a lot of ppl off the streets when they need to. This is also the only reason why anyone thought bringing Lawsuit City- er, Lights Motors Action to DHS was a good idea.

The removal of the two stunt show venues will require whatever replaces them to have substantial throughput to replace the capacity lost. An added bonus to bringing new rides to this real estate is that the winning proposals are both completely indoor attractions that can operate rain or shine, something DHS desperately needs.

EDIT: If someone touched on this in an earlier post I missed it. This board is way too much to follow now!
I'm really curious about what new thing there doing for The Muppets. Will it be a live show? And also is the door coaster involved in this? Thank you for all the info you've given us by the way!

Thrill Seeker

Mos Isley Cantina seems like a lock for Star Wars Land to replace Backlot Express. As for the rest of the land (currently occupied by Indiana Jones, ABC Sound Studio and Muppet Courtyard), I have a few suggestions...

1. Indoor Jedi Training Acadamy: This seems like a no brainer, but moving the popular show into the ABC Sound Studio, rethemed to Dagaba, would make a lot of sense. You could also enhance she show with heavy theming.

2. X-Wing Vs. Tie Fighter Coaster: Yeah, that fan concept posted online of a dueling coaster with guns and multiple endings? That should happen. I'd replace Indiana Jones with this new E-Ticket.

3. Retheme Star Tours' Exterior/Expand Gift Shop: As it stands, Star Tours exterior doesn't make sense. Endor isn't an available destination and Tatooine isn't an ending, so why are these used outside? I'd get rid of both and replace with a sleek, metalic theme like the interior queue. The new exterior queue would be covered, more airport looking and feature Spaceport TV featuring travel tips and tricks for flying through Space. The gift shop would become Baggage Claim, and be expanded further to feature even more options. I'd like to see the Carbonite Chamber/Make a Stormtrooper become perminant additions as well as the nametags from Star Wars Weekends, with special edition Weekends ones being offered as well.

4. Imperial Outpost: With the rebels/Jedi getting all the attention, I'd like to see a strong Imperial presence as well. This is where Muppet Courtyard comes in. Pizza Planet would be rethemed to a Imperial Mess Hall and look like the interior of a Star Destroyer. It would include traditional fare with a Star Wars twist, different from Mos Isley, and it's own exclusive drinks. Stage 1 (The Muppet Gift Shop) would become an indoor meet and greet location as well as a gift shop. Mama Melrose I would be rethemed to a Jedi Counsel themed character dining featuring the Jedi Counsel. Muppet Theater I would replace with a comedic stage show with interactive elements. Lastly, the meet and greet areas near the exit of Muppets would be replaced with Darth Vader, Stormtroopers and Emperor Palpatine. The Premiere Theater would be left alone, but rethemed and used for Special Events and Star Wars Weekends.

lebeau

You know what I haven't heard yet? Why isn't anyone complaining that Star Wars, Cars and Avatar are too "boy-centric"? For the last several years, people were going nuts that a couple of princess-themed attractions were making the entire resort "for girls". Where's the outrage here?

Thrill Seeker

You know what I haven't heard yet? Why isn't anyone complaining that Star Wars, Cars and Avatar are too "boy-centric"? For the last several years, people were going nuts that a couple of princess-themed attractions were making the entire resort "for girls". Where's the outrage here?

More Boy centric stuff can also appeal to girls, while girl centric stuff doesn't appeal at all to boys.

lebeau

Because Star Wars, Avatar and Cars are not boy exclusive themes.

A lot of little boys like Beauty and the Beast and The Little Mermaid too.

Heck, I went to a Barbie exhibit at the Indianapolis Children's Museum a few years ago and it was filled with little boys playing dress-up and playing with dolls.

There's no such thing as a gender-exclusive theme.

So BS on that answer too.

Uncle Remus

There's no such thing as a gender-exclusive theme.

So BS on that answer too.

Which is why Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique is just filled with flamboyant little boys!

Are there girls who love GI Joe? Of course. Most dont however and which is why GI Joe is marketed towards boys.

Are there boys who love Barbie? Of course. Most dont however which is why Barbie is marketed towards girls.

Also wasnt unkadug agreeing with you by saying Cars, Star Wars and Avatar were NOT boy exclusive themes? Meaning they appeal to BOTH genders?

Nothing is exlusive per say but there are certain themes that are marketed towards certain genders. Nothing is 100% there are always exceptions

lebeau

Which is why Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique is just filled with flamboyant little boys!

Are there girls who love GI Joe? Of course. Most dont however and which is why GI Joe is marketed towards boys.

Are there boys who love Barbie? Of course. Most dont however which is why Barbie is marketed towards girls.

Also wasnt unkadug agreeing with you by saying Cars, Star Wars and Avatar were NOT boy exclusive themes? Meaning they appeal to BOTH genders?

I agree that they are not gender-exclusive in the same way Beauty and the Beast and Little Mermaid are not gender-exclusive. And yet, a lot of people around here had a lot of butt hurt over how Disney was ruining the resort by adding a relatively modest, princess-themed expansion.

Now that they appear to be adding attractions that would traditionally appeal to boys more than girls, I have not heard a single complaint.

My theory is that the resort has been overwhelmingly skewed towards the male demographic for decades. So fans are naturally more inclined to appreciate male interests while rejecting even the smallest attempt to reach out to a female demographic.

But even I am shocked by the hypocisy of having people point blank say that the FLE was "too girly" but Cars and Star Wars appeal to everyone. I didn't expect anyone to come out and say that.

WDWFREAK53

I personally feel that these changes could be the first nail in the coffin for WDW.

If these things are being value engineered...WDW is in serious trouble.

Star Wars Land is the ace up Disney's sleeve. It NEEDS to blow WWoHP out of the water. I don't have faith in Disney to throw out the money-pinchers to create an all-immersive experience that Star Wars fans will be happy with.

With 2 Phases of WWoHP open by the time this is done, I think it's too little too late.

I fear that this Star Wars Land will be a flop with mediocre attraction(s) and just new restaurants and gift shops...with some permanent meet-&-greets with Jabba, Vader, and Luke/Leia.

I agree that they are not gender-exclusive in the same way Beauty and the Beast and Little Mermaid are not gender-exclusive. And yet, a lot of people around here had a lot of butt hurt over how Disney was ruining the resort by adding a relatively modest, princess-themed expansion.

Now that they appear to be adding attractions that would traditionally appeal to boys more than girls, I have not heard a single complaint.

My theory is that the resort has been overwhelmingly skewed towards the male demographic for decades. So fans are naturally more inclined to appreciate male interests while rejecting even the smallest attempt to reach out to a female demographic.

But even I am shocked by the hypocisy of having people point blank say that the FLE was "too girly" but Cars and Star Wars appeal to everyone. I didn't expect anyone to come out and say that.
Okay, since when is Gastons tavern and Dumbo or Goofy and even the Seven Dwarves girly? This expansion wasn't to girly.

lebeau

I'm with you there. I have 4 kids. 2 of them boys. They both like the new Fantasyland changes. It gives them something else to do.

And my girls enjoy exploring Frontierland and Adventureland despite the fact they don't have any interest in cowboys or pirates.

I'm critical of the FLE for a number of reasons. I think the execution fell down in a lot of places. But I never got the "too girly" argument. I have been saying for years that there is a huge demographic of princess fans that were being under-served at Disney World. Even with the FLE, the vast majority of the resort is aimed at more traditional male interests.

I don't really expect anyone to be angry because they are now adding cars and space-themed attractions. My point is the earlier complaints were equally stupid.

Okay, since when is Gastons tavern and Dumbo or Goofy and even the Seven Dwarves girly? This expansion wasn't to girly.

Exactly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom