Why Hollywood Studios is being rebuilt

lazyboy97o

Do any non-Disney fans remember Song of the South (Splash Mountain) or Twilight Zone (Tower of Terror)? Or what about non-franchise rides liek Soarin' or Haunted Mansion?

It doesnt matter if a movie, or even a franchise, has staying power. As long as the RIDE is great, people will go.
Song of the South had a successful theatrical re-release in 1986 that helped win approval for Splash Mountain. The Twilight Zone remains on television today in reruns and has been revived several times.

Magenta Panther

ANYHOO, from what I'm reading from the insiders here, looks like DHS is going to become Disney Hollywood Adventure, in which attractions will be based on well-established Hollywood properties, whether they're Disney-originated or not. Since DHS stopped being an actual studio long ago, the name change wouldn't bother me. As for the Star Wars expansion, I suppose it was only to be expected. I'd rather it didn't, I'd much rather have something original, but as someone here already mentioned, this is Iger's Disney, in which franchise acquisition and exploitation trumps creativity. Which sucks.

hull327

Disney World is loaded with what would be considered male fantasies. The addition of a few princess-themed attractions barely moved the needle. And these new additions will continue the male-centric status quo.
You really think that? I'm the complete opposite. It's loaded for kids, male and female.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
A poster goes from "NOTHING WILL HAPPEN OMGz STOP REEDEN TEH INTERNETz" to "OMGz NOTHING FOR TEH GURLz!"

LOL. Harry Potter SURELY is not geared toward girls with the movies, books, nothing. But it is wildly successful with girls. The notion Star Wars doesn't appeal to girls is more laughable than the guy I shoved on ignore the other day.

hull327

My two girls, ages 9 and 7 absolutely love Star Wars. I have the original 3 tape set on VHS (with no VCR in the house) and every time they're rerun on Spike TV or whatever they're glued to the TV. Furthermore, Tower of Terror, Expedition Everest, Dinosaur and Space Mountain are their favorite rides. Ironically, despite them liking all the Disney "girl" movies they were totally unimpressed with the princess character dinners we booked which I thought for sure they'd love.

twebber55

A poster goes from "NOTHING WILL HAPPEN OMGz STOP REEDEN TEH INTERNETz" to "OMGz NOTHING FOR TEH GURLz!"

LOL. Harry Potter SURELY is not geared toward girls with the movies, books, nothing. But it is wildly successful with girls. The notion Star Wars doesn't appeal to girls is more laughable than the guy I shoved on ignore the other day.
i will say this on my survey that i did with kids (posted earlier) the kids who voted for star wars were almost all guys and harry potter (according to my small survey) was more dispersed between guys and girls ..i call it the hermoinie affect lol

WDWFREAK53

Do any non-Disney fans remember Song of the South (Splash Mountain) or Twilight Zone (Tower of Terror)? Or what about non-franchise rides liek Soarin' or Haunted Mansion?

It doesnt matter if a movie, or even a franchise, has staying power. As long as the RIDE is great, people will go.

While I like the thought process and agree with you...there is one thing you're missing.
The franchises will draw people in that wouldn't necessarily go to WDW or UO because they are fans of the franchise.

I understand the moves. Plus...DHS is about attractions based on films/studios...it's a no-brainer that they use franchises.

twebber55

And in my high school (when LOTR was at its peak) the idea of going to see one of those movies was laughable.
really? thats interesting...on my survey Harry Potter was the clear winner then star wars and LOTR was pretty much even....but like a said in fairness if you did these surveys in three years you may see something totally different

Ignohippo

Regardless of what properties they include in the DHS makeover, I hope they identify how much WDW needs a "thrill" park. If TDO would just simply fill DHS with some cutting edge coasters and thrill rides, it'd probably be the resort's #2 gate.

No one wants Star Wars Land or CarsLand more than I do, but WDW desperately needs a park that will appeal to teens and thrill seekers.

DocMcHulk

And a little off topic but it's time to completely dump American Idol Experience. That's a sinking ship. When I was there in October the Indiana Jones and Stunt show were very nicely filled (IJ moreso than Stunt), and the Rockin' Roller Coaster and Tower had 30 minute waits. The AIE had maybe 10 people watching.

American Idol was a bad idea before it was ever built. I new it would fail quickly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom