Why Hollywood Studios is being rebuilt

coolbeans14

But even I am shocked by the hypocisy of having people point blank say that the FLE was "too girly" but Cars and Star Wars appeal to everyone. I didn't expect anyone to come out and say that.

Ummm, there is sort of a difference between them. Star Wars and cars have strong female characters, such as Princess Leia and Sally. However, it's been a while since I saw Tony the crossdressing princess doing a meet and greet.

You sort of make a point of suggesting sexism occurs when choosing attractions. I would suggest as a retort that equality was a key reason for the original FLE to be scrapped. The princesses (bar belle and to a degree Ariel) are portrayed as being "weak" and need the "brave, strong" prince to come and save them.

As I said, belle is the hero of her story. She saves the prince, which is why she gets to stick around. She acts as a good role model for young girls, teaching them they are just as good as guys, as shown by her rejection of gaston.

It also teaches boys that no means no ;)

Ariel sticks around because she gives fantasyland a new ride, but also because she goes against what her father (a guy!) says. She's headstrong. Headstrong= good role model. Also, it teaches people not to trust fat women (or did I misunderstand?)

And finally, why did they choose SEVEN DWARVES mine train? Well, because they are literally the most harmless, non sexist, fun for both genders characters that they could choose.

Or it teaches that Disney supports polygamy ;)

Who knows? But I think it's clear that FLE was changed so that both genders could relate. And I'm now forgetting how this relates to the conversation, but I'm pretty sure that somehow, it does.

And my girls enjoy exploring Frontierland and Adventureland despite the fact they don't have any interest in cowboys or pirates.
Yes, you are right. I see girls dressed as pirates all the time at WDW, but it really depends on the child.

I'm critical of the FLE for a number of reasons. I think the execution fell down in a lot of places. But I never got the "too girly" argument. I have been saying for years that there is a huge demographic of princess fans that were being under-served at Disney World. Even with the FLE, the vast majority of the resort is aimed at more traditional male interests.

I don't really expect anyone to be angry because they are now adding cars and space-themed attractions. My point is the earlier complaints were equally stupid.
Yes, you are right. I see girls dressed as pirates all the time at WDW, but it really depends on the child. The execution of this expansion includes hyping for a bathroom. Yes, you are correct about poor execution.

Back to the on topic thread if this were to occur, it would take out some my most favorite things there, Muppetvision 3D, and the Sci-fi dine in, and that would suck. And even though Cars and Star Wars are great, that just is stupid

"I just don't think I could take that kind of rejection!"

Rex, Toy Story
:( :(

lebeau

Ummm, there is sort of a difference between them. Star Wars and cars have strong female characters, such as Princess Leia and Sally. However, it's been a while since I saw Tony the crossdressing princess doing a meet and greet.

You sort of make a point of suggesting sexism occurs when choosing attractions. I would suggest as a retort that equality was a key reason for the original FLE to be scrapped. The princesses (bar belle and to a degree Ariel) are portrayed as being "weak" and need the "brave, strong" prince to come and save them.

As I said, belle is the hero of her story. She saves the prince, which is why she gets to stick around. She acts as a good role model for young girls, teaching them they are just as good as guys, as shown by her rejection of gaston.

It also teaches boys that no means no ;)

Ariel sticks around because she gives fantasyland a new ride, but also because she goes against what her father (a guy!) says. She's headstrong. Headstrong= good role model. Also, it teaches people not to trust fat women (or did I misunderstand?)

And finally, why did they choose SEVEN DWARVES mine train? Well, because they are literally the most harmless, non sexist, fun for both genders characters that they could choose.

Or it teaches that Disney supports polygamy ;)

Who knows? But I think it's clear that FLE was changed so that both genders could relate. And I'm now forgetting how this relates to the conversation, but I'm pretty sure that somehow, it does.

I lost track of your point, but you made me chuckle a few times.

lebeau

I'm guessing they were complaining more of the very first plan that was little mermaid and then a bunch of pricess meet and greets.

The complaints were very loud early on. But they continued even after the meet and greets were downplayed in favor of the 7 Dwarfs.

I'm glad for the changes. I think the new plan is better than the old. But I still feel like it was a silly argument even with the original plan.

Disney World is loaded with what would be considered male fantasies. The addition of a few princess-themed attractions barely moved the needle. And these new additions will continue the male-centric status quo.

lebeau

Something else I was thinking about with regard to this proposal. It sounds like we're getting two e-tickets. Assuming the rumors are correct, the Speeder Bike Coaster at least would have a height restriction. Not sure about the dumbed down Radiator Springs Racers.

Hollywood Studios needs every new ride it can get. But thrill rides and rides with height restrictions are the types of rides it needs the least. The park is the home of Playhouse Disney which lures in families with small children. But when they get there, they have nothing to do.

WDW95

I really hope DHS gets neither Cars or Star Wars. It would be a really sad day when Disney can't surprise and amaze us with great concepts anymore and come up with something so extraordinary that we cannot even try to guess what it would be.

By adding Cars or Star Wars, Disney would become too predictable and they used to never be predictable. :(

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I really hope DHS gets neither Cars or Star Wars. It would be a really sad day when Disney can't surprise and amaze us with great concepts anymore and come up with something so extraordinary that we cannot even try to guess what it would be.

By adding Cars or Star Wars, Disney would become too predictable and they used to never be predictable. :(
Well, it wouldn't be the first time. Consumer demand will dictate, I suspect.

They were planning a unique experience for WDW around where Pirates is now, but market demand brought Pirates. I am not complaining....

FrankLapidus

Something else I was thinking about with regard to this proposal. It sounds like we're getting two e-tickets. Assuming the rumors are correct, the Speeder Bike Coaster at least would have a height restriction. Not sure about the dumbed down Radiator Springs Racers.

Hollywood Studios needs every new ride it can get. But thrill rides and rides with height restrictions are the types of rides it needs the least. The park is the home of Playhouse Disney which lures in families with small children. But when they get there, they have nothing to do.

Courtesy of pheneix:

I am only aware of two major rides that are of "E-ticket" magnitude that are being developed. There are numerous smaller additions planned, of course.

FrankLapidus

Well this is Bob Iger's Disney, the man has made it clear that franchises are going to play a big part in the company's development while he is in charge. And if you want to bring franchises to a theme park then they don't come much bigger than Star Wars and Cars. I think synergy is the buzz word they use to head up their strategy of bringing in more franchises. Once upon a time Disney would have let Imagineering go crazy with a concept like Beastly Kingdomme or Mysterious Island, these days we're stuck with Avatar instead. It makes sense for Iger to compensate for his lack of creativity by stockpiling proven, successful intellectual properties under the Disney umbrella, I wouldn't count on that changing and Disney becoming any less predictable while the current leadership are in place.

DocMcHulk

I'm not against franchises per se but is Avatar and Cars going to have the staying power? I can see Avatar in 10 years being an afterthought. I'd prefer to see something brand new and original like Beastly Kingdom.

Do any non-Disney fans remember Song of the South (Splash Mountain) or Twilight Zone (Tower of Terror)? Or what about non-franchise rides liek Soarin' or Haunted Mansion?

It doesnt matter if a movie, or even a franchise, has staying power. As long as the RIDE is great, people will go.

twebber55

Do any non-Disney fans remember Song of the South (Splash Mountain) or Twilight Zone (Tower of Terror)? Or what about non-franchise rides liek Soarin' or Haunted Mansion?

It doesnt matter if a movie, or even a franchise, has staying power. As long as the RIDE is great, people will go.
agree.. ive kind of quit replying to these posts because no matter what facts are presented people are set into their opinions..which is fine people can think what they want to think

hull327

I don't disagree but I'd be inclined to believe that an entire park expansion like Beastly Kingdom would go further than a Cars coaster.

And a little off topic but it's time to completely dump American Idol Experience. That's a sinking ship. When I was there in October the Indiana Jones and Stunt show were very nicely filled (IJ moreso than Stunt), and the Rockin' Roller Coaster and Tower had 30 minute waits. The AIE had maybe 10 people watching.

hull327

agree.. ive kind of quit replying to these posts because no matter what facts are presented people are set into their opinions..which is fine people can think what they want to think
What are the "facts?" That people have different opinions and different preferences for theme parks?

twebber55

What are the "facts?" That people have different opinions and different preferences for theme parks?
in regards to avatar? box office, home sales (dvd/blue ray), critical success with 9 nominations to name a few

to me a successfull theme park land needs a great E ticket, great themeing and needs to be uniqe in some way

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom