Why Hollywood Studios is being rebuilt

Ignohippo

They can start design phase directly after blue sky. If this indeed isn't supposed to open until 2018, there's no reason why they wouldn't be ready to announce it in August. Remember, they don't even have to show you any art work. They didn't for Avatar.

Quote the whole post. There was no reason to comment on the post without quoting the entire thing, which addresses your reply.

The rest of the post said:
"Besides, with LucasFilm and Lucas' involvement now, I'm sure they'd be getting much more input from a different perspective."

--which would inevitably re-start the bluesky phase. They are more than likely also now getting input from Staggs and various sources throughout TDO, who may not have been involved with previous bluesky designs.

Ignohippo

Dc is is far from family friendly. I read only dc and the occasional marvel but mainly dc. It is far from it have u played the batman Arkham games r seen the TDK. Even MOS deals with serious issues. Yes there is same tamed kids stuff but as a whole it is not. Maybe we can get Heath ledgers joker running around the parks r green arrow taking down drug dealers.

DC being more "edgy" is a more recent development (as in the last 10 or so years). DC was always known as being the more tame of the two until they felt they were losing people to the more violent Marvel.

BigThunderMatt

Really? Star Wars has well over 100 books with at least 4 to 6 coming out each year. There is an entire book shelf in the local Barnes and Noble, not including any of the graphic novels, etc.

That doesn't mean all of them are equally good. Many of them are nothing more than fan service which only the most die-hard of fans actually purchase. Star Wars started as a film. Lucas sold out the rights to use the material to create a plethora of expanded universe content of varying quality that he really had no involvement with and is still to this day debated on what is and is not canon.

Harry Potter started as a book series. Anything that has arisen since has had J.K. Rowling heavily involved, ensuring a cohesive, quality product.

Yes, Star Wars has a lot of material to work with, however, most of what we will largely see in theme park form is going to be film-related material. That is what the general public at large will recognize. Sure, there will likely be references to EU stuff. But by and large what material they have to work with is limited to the six films (probably 7 or 8 by the time this project actually gets some steam going).

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
Premium Member
See: Castle Cake, The Wand, The Hat, and Superstar Limo.
But those things were all terrible. What Expo_Seeker describes doesn't sound that bad.
I have a hard time getting excited about a ride that will be down as much as not, in a park with a scant six rides.

Goofyernmost

TDR is indeed a large expense, but a quick search on Kayak shows airfares NY to LA the first week of November to be $350ish, while NY to Orlando $210ish.

If you stay offsite at Disneyland, I think you can make a lot of that up on the hotel room. If not, tighten the belt a little more. I know your position is unique in that you have a fixed income, but many of the people are staying at Deluxe resorts at WDW making that argument
Again you are making assumptions here. One that the $140.00 difference per person is just throw away cash that everyone can afford. Also that those that go to WDW don't already stay offsite and eat at more financially friendly offsite locations just to afford to go. There are the other aspects like people that have a problem with flying, people that fear earthquakes, people that feel that California is to fast for them to feel comfortable in. It isn't always just a situation of money.

To flippantly make comments like "Well, if they want to see it all they have to do is go to Anaheim". I'm not saying that you said that but you know it has been said in the past. That is why I support cloning an excellent attraction so that it is available to more people. Theme park attractions are not individual properties to be protected from the prying eyes of others, it should be shared with others. Every park still has it's own locally popular attractions so the entire thing is not a clone, but, it should be made available without anyone feeling violated.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I don't blame him. The only thing similar is the ride vehicle. Absolutely nothing else is comparable. It's the same as saying the Horizons was just a Modified Peter Pan because the ride vehicles were similar in that the ride vehicles were suspended from above or World of Motion and Journey were just a modified Spaceship Earth or PoTC was just a modified version of Small World! Or the Dinosaur is just a modified Indy Ride (OK, bad example). Or that perhaps a Rolls Royce is merely a modified Yugo. After all they are both cars and they have tires and an engine, steering wheel and seats.:)
I think you are lucky that he was just upset and didn't throw a tire at you. :p

Hahahaha! I'm glad he didn't either.

However, it's not as ludicrous a statement as you make it out to be. It's more akin to saying that Winnie the Pooh is a modified version of Imagination (or vice versa), as they both use very similar ride vehicles and mechanics.

At the time I was making the comparison, RSR hadn't even been open two months, so there wasn't as much information floating around about it as there is now. In addition, I hadn't ridden both rides (which I have now).

Not that I care if they re-use general ride mechanics when it's done in such a way. Both rides are unique and fun (I preferred RSR, for theme alone)...

NoChesterHester

You just said it yourself. You want it because you "know" it. It's the same reason fans clamor for things like Beastly Kingdom, Western River Expedition or The Muppet Movie Ride. They've seen concept art, they understand the concept and the "know" it will be good. With Radiator Springs Racers many have even experienced it so they know it's a safe bet.

People loved The Hangover, then when they made The Hangover Part 2 they took the same model and made the same movie in a different location. They went with what people wanted and the movie sucked. Fast forwarded to The Hangover Part 3, they changed the model, kept the characters the same and the result was a movie that was substantially better than the 2nd.

Let's face it, we don't have Imagineers on these boards. We're uninventive and for the most part we lack creativity at the level that Imagineers have creativity. As such, I'll defer to them to "wow" me with something else rather than repeat what they've already done.

As for comparing it to it's west coast counterpart, yes that's inevitable. The safe way to avoid that is to reproduce the exact same thing. However, if that's done then my guess is we would only see Cars Land, and not Star Wars Land. Is that a concession you're also willing to make?

You had me until... "Fast forwarded to The Hangover Part 3, they changed the model, kept the characters the same and the result was a movie that was substantially better than the 2nd." No no no no no. Three was a BAD movie. Unfunny. Not good.

NoChesterHester

I'm sure they've had plans, but probably nothing more than blue sky. I would think it would take a while to get them to the design phase. Besides, with LucasFilm and Lucas' involvement now, I'm sure they'd be getting much more input from a different perspective.

This image is from DisneyAndMore that shows an old concept:
starwarsland.jpg~original

It's from Disneyland Paris and shows Space Mountain as the Death Star and a Millennium Falcon walkthrough (that should be mandatory for ANY plans for a SW land).

Kind of cool... but looks a little temporary for a Disney Park. Perhaps it is just the style.

I'm not a fan of "throw iconography in a field" type design.

NoChesterHester

This is the short sightedness that leads to clones. You want RSR because you know what RSR is. Personally, I want the Imagineers to show us something we haven't seen before. Radiator Springs Racers would be a great addition, but built 5-6 years after the original won't have the same impact.

I wish I could like this more than once. My feelings exactly.

There is no shortage of ideas, why must we regurgitate?

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I wish I could like this more than once. My feelings exactly.

There is no shortage of ideas, why must we regurgitate?
Plus, having different attractions, even if they carry the same theme or name, helps draw to the opposite parks.

One of the things I was most looking forward to when visiting DLC was seeing and riding rides like PoTC, that are very familiar to me, and yet, their version is so different. It's a neat feeling.

So, even if they do something like RSR, I hope it is not a direct clone.

spacemt354

Chili's
TDR is indeed a large expense, but a quick search on Kayak shows airfares NY to LA the first week of November to be $350ish, while NY to Orlando $210ish.

If you stay offsite at Disneyland, I think you can make a lot of that up on the hotel room. If not, tighten the belt a little more. I know your position is unique in that you have a fixed income, but many of the people are staying at Deluxe resorts at WDW making that argument

I concur with @Goofyernmost It's too easy to just say there's a $140 difference in flight tickets, like that is the only change in price.

We live in the Tri-State Area, and we drive to Orlando. We skip the flying entirely because it's expensive, and if we can get to our destination within a day, we feel it's worth it to make the hike, rather than spend hundreds of dollars per person. So for us something on the east coast is much more accessible.

Also, since we've gone to Disney World so much, we have created our own cost cutting methods to our trips, that might not be available if we make a trip to another new destination. That will also drive up the cost of the trip. But it's not that we don't want to see DL, or Tokyo, or anywhere else for that matter. In fact, we just visited DL at Christmas, a trip we had saved for years for. But that's just the thing, and this is just our family's point of view. We'd rather go to Disney World more often, then have to save up to travel out west every few years. (there would probably be twice the gap in between our WDW trips).

And I wish we were in that faux 1% who could just travel the world visiting all disney parks. That would be great. But the reality is, that's not the case.

Bparso87

DC being more "edgy" is a more recent development (as in the last 10 or so years). DC was always known as being the more tame of the two until they felt they were losing people to the more violent Marvel.
DC has always had violence the dark knight returns was in the 80s so was watchmen. Green Arrow has been taking down hard drug addicts since the early 80s. DC has always been violent for years read when the joker kills Jason Todd r shoot Barbra Gordon. Even superman has had some violent comics from when he killed doomsday.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom