When are they going to announce a true e-ticket?

hauntdmansion79

you don't think the new Cars ride should qualify as an E-Ticket? How much do you know about this particular attraction? I don't consider an E-Ticket to be thrilling. Most E-tickets have some degree of thrill, but not all, and Astro Orbiter is thrilling but no one would call it an E-Ticket. I consider E-Tickets to be the largest, most detailed attractions like the Haunted Mansion or Tower of Terror, and from what I have heard about the new Cars attraction, it will certainly be on that level. Further, I don't buy the argument that WDW is "lucky" to be getting the short end of the stick just because DCA flopped. This may be news to Mr. Rasulo, but there is no method on the Walt Disney World Transportation System of getting from WDW to the DLR. They are completely separate entities with separate (and very different) guests, so the average family coming to WDW couldn't care less about what's happening in California.

I 100% agree with you. I was trying to say that both Cars and Soarin' are both E-tickets, but that Disney was probably attaching the E-ticket term to those attraction because of their thrill factor while not attaching that term to Little Mermaid because of it's lack of thrill. I also agree with you that the budget for WDW and DLR should be seperate, but when something as big as the DCA overhaul is in place I'm not sure that is the case.

WaltsApprentice

I 100% agree with you. I was trying to say that both Cars and Soarin' are both E-tickets, but that Disney was probably attaching the E-ticket term to those attraction because of their thrill factor while not attaching that term to Little Mermaid because of it's lack of thrill. I also agree with you that the budget for WDW and DLR should be seperate, but when something as big as the DCA overhaul is in place I'm not sure that is the case.

Wasn't already said that WDW and DLR have two seperate bugets? Hasn't it already been stated that WDW can almost run on its own with the money it brings in?? When did all the sudden WDW and DLR have the same buget??:shrug: Where is this information coming from??? And why do people feel that WDW is getting the short end of the stick?? We are getting attractions...and new things...but just because DCA is getting a new enterence, carland, the little mermaid and a nighttime show...all things that it lacked or needed improvement we suddenly are getting the short end of the stick. I don't understand how people realize that WDW has things that work for it...attractions that work for it! THat people love to visit...thats why instead of replacing some of these attractions we are refurbing them. There is no need to build a new land or huge nighttime show...because currently people like what we have.
Why is it every 3 to 4 years people on here feel that we need a new attraction? Are the attractions really that bad at WDW??:shrug: I sure never thought so? My main concern is that they just keep what they are doing at refreshing our classics or adding on to them. Why can't we be happy with what we have?? Guess you can't make everyone happy.:rolleyes:

Again like I said...earlier...when did we share the same buget? When did that press release or info come out saying that we share the same buget and this year WDW is going to be left in the dust? Or do we all ASSUME that because DCA is getting new things that all the money some how has shifted to them??:shrug:

sportzfrk480

I agree a big new E-ticket would be fun, and exciting... but its not what should be the number one priority for WDW right now. Why not go back and refurb all of the old dated rides there now. It can be 10 times cheaper per ride, and we get more than just one long line to go stand in. Just off hand i can name 4 rides that were last touched in the early 90's and are way out of date. HIStA (they might as well have Capt. Eyo there still, with how much kids relate to the movie), CoP (last scene for sure...), S Tours, and as much as i hate to say it, possibly Muppets... So here are 4 rides that are relatively cheap and easy to bring into the new millennium, and would give multiple "new" attractions to go see and advertise.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Wasn't already said that WDW and DLR have two seperate bugets? Hasn't it already been stated that WDW can almost run on its own with the money it brings in?? When did all the sudden WDW and DLR have the same buget??:shrug: Where is this information coming from??? And why do people feel that WDW is getting the short end of the stick?? We are getting attractions...and new things...but just because DCA is getting a new enterence, carland, the little mermaid and a nighttime show...all things that it lacked or needed improvement we suddenly are getting the short end of the stick. I don't understand how people realize that WDW has things that work for it...attractions that work for it! THat people love to visit...thats why instead of replacing some of these attractions we are refurbing them. There is no need to build a new land or huge nighttime show...because currently people like what we have.
Why is it every 3 to 4 years people on here feel that we need a new attraction? Are the attractions really that bad at WDW??:shrug: I sure never thought so? My main concern is that they just keep what they are doing at refreshing our classics or adding on to them. Why can't we be happy with what we have?? Guess you can't make everyone happy.:rolleyes:

Again like I said...earlier...when did we share the same buget? When did that press release or info come out saying that we share the same buget and this year WDW is going to be left in the dust? Or do we all ASSUME that because DCA is getting new things that all the money some how has shifted to them??:shrug:

Let me start this by saying I have no inside knowledge on how Disney runs its financial department or budgeting, but I do know a lot about corporate finance in general.

Of course Disneyland and WDW have separate budgets. So, by the way, do separate locations of just about every company in the word. Individual hotels, restaurants, grocery stores, etc all have location-specific budgets. They have to in order to plan and evaluate.

That, however, does not mean that the budget for one doesn't affect the budget for another. Indeed, in an intelligent company, considerations on allocating resources would not incorporate arbitrary walls that would, for example, involve not spending money earned at WDW for improvements at Disneyland or to invest in the movie business. The Walt Disney company as a whole has the capability to generate certain amounts of cash or tap certain amounts of funding, and would, if run intellgently, use the cash and funding in whatever way would promote the best return, regardless of whether the cash outflows are in the same or different divisions than the cash inflows.

So it is silly to say "Separate budgets, so no effect." Of course the budgets are separate. And of course the fact that money is spent at DCA doesn't necessarily mean there isn't money for WDW. When Disney says that they do have enough money for both, I'm inclined to believe them. But the fact that WDW generates lots of cash does not in any way suggest that such cash would of course be available to fund WDW improvements. It could be used by Disney for anything, including DCA improvements.

withasmile

WDW needs something new and exciting. To me Toy Story Mania is like the Buzz Lightyear Ranger Spin ride in Magic Kingdom, just with more characters. It needs something new and different, like mission:space and expedition everest

RSoxNo1

WDW needs something new and exciting. To me Toy Story Mania is like the Buzz Lightyear Ranger Spin ride in Magic Kingdom, just with more characters. It needs something new and different, like mission:space and expedition everest

I think Toy story Mania will be different than Buzz Lightyear. I'm really looking forward to this attraction. With that said, I do think that lesser attractions are perhaps more necessary for each park.

Magic Kingdom - They have a huge area in Fantasy Land, they have some space in Tomorrowland, especially if they remove Carousel of Progress, and they apparently have room in Adventureland. I know that an E-Ticket is probably going in one of those locations eventually, but I think that it needs to bridge the gap of Fantasyland dark rides that currently exists between Magic Kingdom and Disneyland. Expanding Ariel's Grotto into some hybrid of Tokyo's Disney Sea's Mermaid Lagoon and/or the new DCA Little Mermaid attraction would be fantastic.

Epcot - I feel that World Showcase is probably the #1 area in WDW in need of an E-Ticket. As for minor rides, I would like to see the Germany boat ride ultimately get built, Imagination rehabbed, and perhaps something materializing in the Universe of Energy/Wonders of Life area

DHS - I think this park has two fantastic E-Tickets, the biggest reason why it would need another one would be to spread the park out a bit. A thrill ride in the back lot area would do just that. However, I think this park needs more dark rides. TSM is a huge step in the right direction, and although I'm not a huge Nightmare before Christmas fan, I think that would be a fantastic addition back in the streets of america/holiday area.

Disney's Animal Kingdom - Much like Disney's Hollywood Studios, Animal Kingdom has three fantastic e-tickets in Everest, Dinosaur and the Safari. I would like to see a Bambi dark ride, as well as other dark rides that reference more mythical creatures. Lastly, I think this park needs a new live animal exhibit. Another Asia walk through would be ideal, but the legal loopholes of acquiring Pandas may prevent that from happening.

In short, the top 5 things I would like to see at WDW

1. A major e-ticket in World Showcase
2. Another animal walk through in Asia at the AK that includes Giant Pandas, Orangutans, Snow Leopards, Asian Elephants and Red Pandas
3. A Bambi Dark Ride in Camp Minnie Mickey that would feature animatronic deer as well as live deer in an indoor/outdoor ride
4. Dark rides in Fantasyland, preferably themed around the Little Mermaid
5. Dark rides in DHS

WDW1974

That's right. Old River Country closed due to the many issues that came with a 'waterpark' that was tied into a 'live' body of water. Maintenance, treatment, contanmination, etc. were all contributing factors. Too much was out of Disney's control...and we all know Disney likes control.

River Country was closed because Disney didn't want to pay to maintain it ... period.

Yes, it had some unique costs associated with it ... but it also WAS a UNIQUE park.

This idea that there was some kind of contamination just isn't so ... just an Internet urban/CM myth that won't die.

yankspy

Was River Country more expensive to maintain than the current water parks? I am not doubting you I am just asking.

WDW1974

Magic Kingdom
Lastly in response the Magic Kingdom being “stale”; Magic Kingdom is the most visited park because it’s the best, not stale, the best. It is home to the most classic and timeless attractions, and obviously many people see that and appreciate that. I know me and my family do.

It is the by no means the 'best' ... that is your opinion. My opinion is that it is -- or actually has become -- a mass-market characture of DL. Visit DL and DLP and TDL ... then see if the MK is 'the best.'

To me, it's No. 3 in terms of WDW parks behind Epcot and DAK ... and maybe No. 5 out of the eight Disney parks I have APs to and regularly visit (all except Asia).

But it is stale. It hasn't had a major attraction added since Splash Mountain. Other than Mansion, which is now amazing, most of its attractions don't compare to their counterparts in other MKs worldwide.

The entertainment is beyond pathetic. It has been completely dumbed down. No longer are there 30-minute shows with real performers, actors and musicians at the Tomorrowland Stage or Diamond Horseshoe. The parades are ancient. And even the fireworks show, which is terrific from a pyro standpoint, is grating with moppets singing about wishes.

So many parts of the MK are empty and deserted ... huge sections that once held attractions (20,000 Leagues, Skyway, RoA, Hub waterways etc...), dining (Adventureland Veranda) and shops.

Instead of having seven themed lands, the park has been WalMarted down into Disney's Generic Character Magic, Dreams and Wishes Park featuring Disney Princesses and Pirates. Characters are thrown anywhere with no regard to story. Shops have become giant tacky World of Disney locations with every place selling the same things ... pirates in Tomorrowland? princesses in Liberty Square.

Things like costuming have been dumbed down to the point you regularly see CMs (leads I assume) in streetclothes with lanyards and cell phones dangling intruding on the 'show' ... which in itself is a concept MK management seem to have forgotten about.

And let's not get into how dirty and poorly maintained this park is. ... You know at one time they pressure cleaned walkways nightly and repainted daily. Take a look at all the woodrot on the Main Street buildings on your next visit from neglect.

People visit the MK because it is considered 'Disney World' ... they go because of habit ... to see old favorites ... whatever ... but I don't for a second believe that most folks think it's the best.

And Disney is going to get a huge kick in the butt when IOA debuts Harry Potter and the park that will likely suffer the most is MK.

WDW1974

n7005245_36496255_4154.jpg

The kitties are really cute ... and I'm a dog dude myself.

But if you want to even compete in this debate you're going to have to come up with something stronger.

WDW1974

Was River Country more expensive to maintain than the current water parks? I am not doubting you I am just asking.

More expensive? No.

I don't have access to the figures, but I'm sure if anything it was less or around the same. But it didn't generate as much revenue as the newer parks and growth opportunities were severly limited by its location and natural surroundings.

But true magic was being a child swimming in the lake on a warm summer's night, while watching Fantasy in the Sky Fireworks burst over the Contemporary and Space Mountain.

yankspy

More expensive? No.

I don't have access to the figures, but I'm sure if anything it was less or around the same. But it didn't generate as much revenue as the newer parks and growth opportunities were severly limited by its location and natural surroundings.

But true magic was being a child swimming in the lake on a warm summer's night, while watching Fantasy in the Sky Fireworks burst over the Contemporary and Space Mountain.

Yes. I miss that as well. I suppose that is why I have never bothered to visit the other two. They are not as unique as that was.

WDW1974

Oh and as far as DCA's extreme makeover goes, it has nothing to do with what gets built or doesn't at WDW. NOTHING.

Much like some people were saying DCA and HKDL were battling for the same dollars. They weren't. And HKDL's HUGE (mountainous, you could say) plans are being worked on as I type.

WDW does compete for dollars ... with itself. All four parks are in competition. For instance in the early part of the decade there were some pretty serious plans for a major new attraction in the MK's Adventureland ... but Epcot was in trouble and needed something big and its leadership pushed for Soarin and that park wound up with the E-Ticket instead.

Everest lucked out in two ways ... one was Disney knew it needed a major addition and during the power vacuum when Rasulo replaced Pressler, Joe Rohde and Al Weiss were able to (not literally but this is the best term for it) sneak it through the approval process.

culturenthrills

Not to take this thread too far off topic but what is the deal with Rasulo? I have thought Iger has made many good decisions to get the company back on track but I wonder why Rasulo is still in power. He really has no real understanding of the parks and even his big Year of a Million Dreams promo seems to been sort of lackluster. Well, that is just my two cents.

did anyone else look at the deserted river country pics? i am so depressed just looking at it. Its really really sad to see that. I wouldnt want to use those bathrooms (in use from mickeys backyard bbq) because i would get all nostalgic and tearyeyed loooking at that ghost town!!:cry:

BACK ON TOPIC----
i agree we need something new!! even a new hotel would be nice. Something Big and Exciting!

DisneyAnole

That's right, because 15 years ago guests stopped queuing up for Space Mountain and their numbers dwindled to nothing...

What's that you say?

They still have a huge line?

Its still a greatly popular attraction?

Well, I'll be darned

I'll be darned--a mistake in logic. Ad populum, if I'm not mistaken.

Sorry I don't have a picture of kittens and a space shuttle to explain.

donvincenzo

did anyone else look at the deserted river country pics? i am so depressed just looking at it. Its really really sad to see that. I wouldnt want to use those bathrooms (in use from mickeys backyard bbq) because i would get all nostalgic and tearyeyed loooking at that ghost town!!:cry:

Thanks for some props for my link.....:lookaroun.....:lol: jk

jt04

To get slightly back on track.....

I am not sure what the next e ticket will be, but I am hoping for an announcement on Aprill 22nd. There are events planned for AK and MK that day. Now SM is due to get an e ticket type budget so maybe that will be announced at the MK event.

And since the AK is the other event planned for that day, could it be they will use the event to announce something new for the park? Maybe even an e ticket? :veryconfu :)

Is there any possibility of the new Adventureland E-ticket. It seems kind of odd for that to have been a serious possibilty a few years ago but not even being concidered now all because of Soarin'.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
I'll agree with some of you that Disney is keeping the aces hidden until they can strategically compete with the Harry Potter stuff going down at Universal. It won't be there to compete attraction vs. attraction, but attraction vs. publicity. Disney knows that whatever they give to guests, Harry Potter will have a heck of a pull for a while, so it's more of a damage contol situation more than anything.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom