When are they going to announce a true e-ticket?

PLTram

Sorry, I'm not content with refurbs and lights. I think the parks sorely need some exciting new cutting edge attractions.

kag1984

Right now I greatly prefer to the refurbs to the addition of new attractions. I'm also really glad that they are adding some smaller attractions, like American Idol. I would like to see some more smaller attractions in the next couple of years. When I go to a park and just ride e-ticket after e-ticket I kind of feel like I am at Six Flags where the ride is the destination. But I think the smaller attractions really add to the charm and feel of the park. They make the park complete and I feel like I have had a more full day when I can throw in some of the smaller shows and attractions. So until Harry Potter is completed I'm really happy getting refurbs and smaller attractions.

Also, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if Disney would announce their future line up a few days after the opening of Harry Potter. Could you imagine, all the press down in Orlando for the opening of Harry Potter land... then towards the end of the week Disney announces Beastly Kingdom or a slew of new MAJOR attractions! It has the potential to overshadow, or at least take a little wind out of the sails for USF's Harry Potter land.

CarlHS

Perhaps what the OP is refering to is the next Mountain as opposed to E-Ticket.

I think MK is long overdue on it's next Mountain, the last being splash back in 1992. And considering MK is at "negative one" E-Tickets since that debockle of deleting 20K, it's past due on another Mountain.

Unfortunately, Space's referb will be billed as a New E-Ticket and MK will stay at "negative one" for another 5 years.

You won't see a new mountain at MK until attendence starts to dip (perhaps due to potterland).

DisneyAnole

Perhaps what the OP is refering to is the next Mountain as opposed to E-Ticket.

I think MK is long overdue on it's next Mountain, the last being splash back in 1992. And considering MK is at "negative one" E-Tickets since that debockle of deleting 20K, it's past due on another Mountain.

Unfortunately, Space's referb will be billed as a New E-Ticket and MK will stay at "negative one" for another 5 years.

You won't see a new mountain at MK until attendence starts to dip (perhaps due to potterland).

How many decades has it been since 20K was considered an E-ticket? That'd be like saying the Tiki Room is an E-ticket...which it aint. Especially since they ruined it with Buster Poindexter and Gloria Estefan music.

mrssparrow

In the Last five years or so, Disney has added Everest, Lights Motors Action, Soarin', Mickey's Philharmagic, Mission Space, that Nemo clamshell ride, Turtle talk, an entirely new show and overhauled theater for the Nemo Musical, Jedi Training Acedemy, soon to be Toy Story Mania, Monster's Inc. Laugh Floor, American Idoal coming soon, overhauled multi Use theater in DHS, and not to mention the major overhauls to existing rides like Pirates. Thats a heck of alot of additions for those who campare a roller coaster addition , or a new ride or two to nearby theme parks. Disney World appeals to alot more people than those interested in Roller Coasters. Relax, Disney's been adding stuff all the time, it just has wider appeal, and some of it might not be for everyone. And thats all I have to say about that.

AMEN!
I couldn't have said it better myself. that is it in a nutshell. If we were to rank these rides / attractions listed here in order of popularity and connected it to the old ticketing system: These are my thoughts although this may not be what most believe. I didn't rank them based on my preference of enjoyment either....

A/B ticket
Jedi Training Academy

C/D ticket
Lights Motor Action
Phillharmagic
Nemo Clam
Turtle Talk
Nemo Musical
Monster's Inc.

E-Ticket
Everest
Soarin'
Mission Space (with updates)
Toy Story Mania

I believe that is rather balanced toward more expensive endeavors.....

cpeterstx

However, I am in the same boat as most of you...it is weird that Disney hasn't announced anything major with Sea World building a new coaster, not to mention Aquatica, and IOA bringing Harry-freaking-Potter. People will be lined up in droves for that. Disney needs to get some spotlight shining in their direction. They will still outdraw all their competition anyway, so perhaps they don't feel the need to spend big bucks for the time being.

I have to wonder if these two other announcements are what is prompting the renewed buzz about Beastly Kingdom. I do have to agree with others in that I am pleased there are so many refurbs, touch ups, and updates going on to existing attractions. Still, I wouldn't mind a new E-Ticket, nope, sure wouldn't...

al5957

You know it really kills me to hear people say that anything with a screen is not an e-ticket. Disney has always prided itself on being on the front of cutting edge technology. Interactive games and 3-d technology is what's cutting edge right now. I cant wait for the day that we will be able to maybe combine a ride story like dinosaur with the shoot-em up idea like TSM. I know its not the best example but I think that imagineering is heading in the right direction. Don't get me wrong I don't think that everything should just be computers, you do need to have plenty of physical elements, but the future is coming why not embrace new technologies? :shrug::shrug:

Dayma

You know it really kills me to hear people say that anything with a screen is not an e-ticket. Disney has always prided itself on being on the front of cutting edge technology. Interactive games and 3-d technology is what's cutting edge right now. I cant wait for the day that we will be able to maybe combine a ride story like dinosaur with the shoot-em up idea like TSM. I know its not the best example but I think that imagineering is heading in the right direction. Don't get me wrong I don't think that everything should just be computers, you do need to have plenty of physical elements, but the future is coming why not embrace new technologies? :shrug::shrug:

I agree totally with this. I have not ridden it yet to say it should or should not be an e-ticket. It could be the best ride ever for all I know....

OldKeyWest

OK I believe that some of you are right in that these refurbs were needed more than a new E-ticket and that DCA is getting the cash for now. However Seaworld is getting a new coaster and Aquatica opened and it looks pretty sweet. IOA/Universal is opening Simpsons, the new coaster (I can't remember the name right now) which is made for the "Youtube" generation, and Harry Potter land which is going to make crazy money for them. And what is Disney's answer so far? TSM? Idol? While I think TSM will be good its not in the same league as stated above. IMO Disney better come up with a good answer. (Beastly Kingdom);)

RSoxNo1

The term e-ticket is dated. Anyone that says "nothing with a screen could be considered an e-ticket" is ignorant. That eliminates Soarin, which attendance wise was the most popular attraction at WDW last year. Lately, people have been describing e-tickets as major thrills. I'm not sure that's fair. In the past it has been things that were somewhat groundbreaking. That's how 20k leagues, and Tiki Birds fit the bill. Now a days, neither would qualify in their previous or most recent incarnations (with 20k being extinct).

Now, most people would consider the Nemo Subs at Disneyland an e-ticket attraction, but if Disney itself is shying away from labeling DCA's Little Mermaid attraction an e-ticket or giving Toy Story Mania that label it calls into question the Nemo Subs having that status. At this point, the titles are relative. I remember hearing a podcast that was listing the likes of American Adventure and Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln as E-Tickets, however their most recent popularity (and extinct status of the former) would kind of negate that.

Now a days, the impression is that if it's a Mountain, it's an e-ticket, but at this point I'm not sure if WDW's Space Mountain, or either stateside Thunder Mountain's would qualify. The Matterhorn also could arguably be on the bubble as well.

Perhaps we can look at it from a cost standpoint, but that information isn't readily available. I think what I would be looking for is the next big budget addition. Call it a D ticket, call it an E ticket, I don't care. I'm looking forward to Toy Story Mania, to me I'll probably consider it an E-Ticket because I expect it to be a must see. I'm the same way with Buzz Lightyear. I know that by most accoutns Buzz Lightyear wouldn't qualify as an E-Ticket, but for me and my family it is a must see every visit to Magic Kingdom. That's how I evaluate things, and although the e-ticket label is more standard, it presents too many arguments.

yankspy

What's with all of the talk of universal being such a threat? Did we not see the top 25 parks thread a couple of weeks ago. Disney pretty much crushed universal as far as popularity. Even with harry potter, they have so much catching up to do. As far as a new attraction, yeah who wouldn't want to see something new. However, it is not is if they have been stagnant in the past few years as others have pointed out. :)

sconti

Original Poster
This post is supposed to be about when is Disney going to announce another big, groundbreaking attraction (like Splash Mountain, Tower of Terror and Expedition: Everest), not a back and forth on what exactly the definition of an e-ticket was, is or is going to be in the future.

The bottom line is that Disney has always been able to out-do their competition and right now it appears they are keeping things a little tighter in the realm of big, groundbreaking attractions.

When your biggest competitor announced "Harry Potter Land" is coming, you've got to counter that with something big. It doesn't matter if you call it an e-ticket or not. 1971 was a long time ago...

darthjohnny

I'm sure Disney has got big things up there sleeves. But I think they have there reasons for not announcing it yet.

I don't think the Harry Potter land will be the kiss of death that some are making it out to be, and I think Disney is confident with what they have, so they don't feel the need to come out with news until the time is right.

Pete C

Now, most people would consider the Nemo Subs at Disneyland an e-ticket attraction, but if Disney itself is shying away from labeling DCA's Little Mermaid attraction an e-ticket or giving Toy Story Mania that label it calls into question the Nemo Subs having that status. At this point, the titles are relative. I remember hearing a podcast that was listing the likes of American Adventure and Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln as E-Tickets, however their most recent popularity (and extinct status of the former) would kind of negate that.

Now a days, the impression is that if it's a Mountain, it's an e-ticket, but at this point I'm not sure if WDW's Space Mountain, or either stateside Thunder Mountain's would qualify. The Matterhorn also could arguably be on the bubble as well.

I don't see how Thunder Mountain could be considered anything but an E-ticket. It is elaborately themed, long, and varied. Space Mountain as well.

I do remember Disney themselves calling DL's Nemo subs a new E-ticket ride, so that is official. Toy Story...not so sure about that. I have never heard any Disney press release referring to it as such, just like the upcoming Little Mermaid. The only officially announced "E-ticket" on the horizon, according to press releases, is the new Cars ride at DCA.

OmegaKnight

I am sure we will hear some new attraction information in the spring when they do the big opening for Toy Story Mania. They always do a big spring press event and it usually coincides with the opening of a new attraction.

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Could you please name the 3 E tickets built before that and dates they were announced we can then see if there is a pattern. Was mission space the last one to be built?

Soarin' Opened May '05 started '03
MS Opened Oct. '03 started Apr. '00
RnRC Opened July '99 construction started Feb '98
ToT Opened July '94

WDW1974

A few quickees to what's been written:

River Country was NOT closed for any reason related to water quality or any state law. It was strictly a financial decision by Disney, just like letting it sit and rot is.

TSMM will be a very nice attraction. I got a preview of Anaheim's version recently and they're pretty identical experiences. That said, this -- to me -- is something akin to a D Ticket not an E.

As to when the MK gets a new E ... maybe in another 10-15 years ... seriously, who knows? As long as people are happy with a stale dumbed down park ... a mass market characture of DL if you will, that's what you'll get.

Right now, the MK's answer to Harry Potter is a 'new' Space Mountain, which is something that should have happened about 15 years ago now!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom