What's the most surprising thing you've seen at Disney

Sudcaro- Sudcaro

Last week in Epcot I saw a young woman (caucasian) walking around future world dressed like a Japanese or Chinese lady, from head to toes. And I thought wearing costumes was not allowed?

Matt_Black

Last week in Epcot I saw a young woman (caucasian) walking around future world dressed like a Japanese or Chinese lady, from head to toes. And I thought wearing costumes was not allowed?

I think the spirit of the rule is that you not dress a character, because some unscrupulous sorts might come in and use that to fleece guests. Depending on the outfit in question, this might be acceptable. And the guest might have Asian ancestry. Race is a very fluid thing. The Rock was once accused of being a "hateful white skinhead" despite being African-American.

jloucks

Consode
I have to preface this with saying I have an uncontrollable urge to laugh when I see people trip or fall (unless it looks really bad or painful, I swear!). I have tried to restrain it over the years, but I don't know if it's a nervous thing or what, but I literally cannot help myself. It's not that I don't care if someone is hurt or embarassed, it's an uncontrollable urge.

So last trip we were waiting in line for the Safari at AK. There were these two kids a few people ahead of us, about ages 7-9, who were just WILD. Very anxious, excitable, and of course, the parents could not have cared less. So the girl ran underneath the rope that separates the line and the landscaping, and it was a bit of a hill. She was running up and down, up and down, up and down, until finally I guess she had enough momentum and couldn't stop herself and clotheslined herself on the line rope. She got up seconds later, looking a bit frazzled, saying 'I'm fine! I'm fine!"

At that point, my sister and I literally fell to the ground in tears we were laughing to hard. I fell to the ground. I had enough class to turn away from the child (lol) while I laughed, but I laughed so hard I was crying for the rest of the 10 minute wait. Thinking about it now, I am laughing. My husband and mother were mortified at my sister and myself laughing, but I could not stop.

Now the argument could be made: which was the worse thing? The misbehaving child who clotheslined herself, or the 2 adults who almost peed their pants laughing at it? :D

Considering you are adults and could easily be considered as bullying the child, I'd have to go with you as worst, then the kids parents, then the kids. Kids honestly the victim of poor parenting and you people.

Matt_Black

Considering you are adults and could easily be considered as bullying the child, I'd have to go with you as worst, then the kids parents, then the kids. Kids honestly the victim of poor parenting and you people.

Trust me- as someone who WAS bullied as a child quite a bit, that's not bullying. The worst you can say is they showed a lack of tact in expressing their humor, but honestly, it DOES sound hilarious.

Now, if you want to hear about ACTUAL bullying at WDW, there's this story. I originally read it on a tumblr and can no way vouch for it's authenticity, though I hope it's true, for reasons that will be apparent.

Anyway, there was a young boy in Adventureland, and he really liked Princesses. He had a t-shirt, a tiara, a wand, everything. An older guest saw this young boy and immediately started using slurs, questioning the lad's orientation and gender (BOO!).

Now, Peter Pan was out meeting guests, and he saw this "gentleman's" behavior. He went right up to him and said, "Sir, I'm going to tell you something I never thought I'd say to anyone- you really need to grow up."

jloucks

Trust me- as someone who WAS bullied as a child quite a bit, that's not bullying. The worst you can say is they showed a lack of tact in expressing their humor, but honestly, it DOES sound hilarious.

Now, if you want to hear about ACTUAL bullying at WDW, there's this story. I originally read it on a tumblr and can no way vouch for it's authenticity, though I hope it's true, for reasons that will be apparent.

Anyway, there was a young boy in Adventureland, and he really liked Princesses. He had a t-shirt, a tiara, a wand, everything. An older guest saw this young boy and immediately started using slurs, questioning the lad's orientation and gender (BOO!).

Now, Peter Pan was out meeting guests, and he saw this "gentleman's" behavior. He went right up to him and said, "Sir, I'm going to tell you something I never thought I'd say to anyone- you really need to grow up."
Actually yes, loud public boisterous group laughter at another person that amplifies embarrassment, is absolutely bullying. The civil thing to do is not laugh.

Matt_Black

Actually yes, loud public boisterous group laughter at another person that amplifies embarrassment, is absolutely bullying. The civil thing to do is not laugh.

That implies that the girl was embarrassed to begin with. Popping back up with an "I'm fine!" would suggest there was no embarrassment to amplify in the first place. So logically- not bullying.

I'm all for people not being bullies, but in this case I think some are being over-sensitive.

jloucks

Well, yea, if the victim was in fact not at all feeling like a victim, you're correct.

It is possibly, however unlikely, she did it on purpose for a laugh. ...I have seen that.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
As I was relaxing on a shaded bench across from 50s Prime Time enjoying my Mickey ice cream last week, a woman carries her diaper aged child (about 15 months) over to the railing around Echo Lake. She makes the comment, as I watched her pull a clean one out of the diaper bag, "let's change it and you will feel much better". And she's standing at the end of the bench, 2 feet from where I am resting my hot and weary self, enjoying my ice cream. And proceeds to take off the kid's shorts and change his diaper as he's standing at the railing (and I'm eating my ice cream!). Then her husband walks over with their older son. She hands him the used diaper, which he proceeds to put on the end of the bench. Then lifts his son over the railing so the kid can play with the ducks (and me hoping the kid doesn't tumble into the water). Then lifts his son back over the railing and walks away, leaving the used diaper on the bench. To which I shout - "sir, I think you forgot something!" Trust me, if I had a pair of rubber gloves in my back pack, I would have put them on and tested how well a balled up used diaper did a curve ball. ;) Fortunately, after shouting it again, the guy realized "you talking to me" and sheepishly comes back to retrieve the diaper. To which I said, "you know, they have changing tables in the rest rooms. Try using one the next time." And no, they weren't foreigners. They were Americans. From the South. Yes, I recognized the accent.

And just when I'd thought I'd seen all the "leggings are NOT pants" wearers.... I was walking behind a couple in DTD. She was a tad on the plump side (trying to be kind) and pushing a stroller. Now it was 100 degrees, bright sun and I, in spite of using an entire can of sunscreen spray, was starting to feel a bit crispy fried. So why would one wear black? Especially black hose? I say hose, not tights or leggings, because they were so sheer, like pantyhose, that I could see the TINY black thongs (more like dental floss) she was wearing underneath. She might as well as worn nothing but the thongs because that's how sheer the hose/leggings/tights were. I can only imagine what the front view was like. Do they make Mickey stickers that big???!!

jloucks

As I was relaxing on a shaded bench across from 50s Prime Time enjoying my Mickey ice cream last week, a woman carries her diaper aged child (about 15 months) over to the railing around Echo Lake. She makes the comment, as I watched her pull a clean one out of the diaper bag, "let's change it and you will feel much better". And she's standing at the end of the bench, 2 feet from where I am resting my hot and weary self, enjoying my ice cream. And proceeds to take off the kid's shorts and change his diaper as he's standing at the railing (and I'm eating my ice cream!). Then her husband walks over with their older son. She hands him the used diaper, which he proceeds to put on the end of the bench. Then lifts his son over the railing so the kid can play with the ducks (and me hoping the kid doesn't tumble into the water). Then lifts his son back over the railing and walks away, leaving the used diaper on the bench. To which I shout - "sir, I think you forgot something!" Trust me, if I had a pair of rubber gloves in my back pack, I would have put them on and tested how well a balled up used diaper did a curve ball. ;) Fortunately, after shouting it again, the guy realized "you talking to me" and sheepishly comes back to retrieve the diaper. To which I said, "you know, they have changing tables in the rest rooms. Try using one the next time." And no, they weren't foreigners. They were Americans. From the South. Yes, I recognized the accent.

And just when I'd thought I'd seen all the "leggings are NOT pants" wearers.... I was walking behind a couple in DTD. She was a tad on the plump side (trying to be kind) and pushing a stroller. Now it was 100 degrees, bright sun and I, in spite of using an entire can of sunscreen spray, was starting to feel a bit crispy fried. So why would one wear black? Especially black hose? I say hose, not tights or leggings, because they were so sheer, like pantyhose, that I could see the TINY black thongs (more like dental floss) she was wearing underneath. She might as well as worn nothing but the thongs because that's how sheer the hose/leggings/tights were. I can only imagine what the front view was like. Do they make Mickey stickers that big???!!

Except for your insinuating dirty diaper abandonment is a Southern thing, I am with you totally.

Well,,, ok,, fine,, tiny thongs and nylons are usually ok. But, yea, probably not at WDW.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Except for your insinuating dirty diaper abandonment is a Southern thing, I am with you totally.

Well,,, ok,, fine,, tiny thongs and nylons are usually ok. But, yea, probably not at WDW.

Not insinuating at all - I'm sure dirty diaper abandonment is not just a Southern thing. Just documenting that I knew they were Americans (not foreigners) because of their Southern accent.

One usually wears something OVER stockings, like a skirt or dress. She had on a t-shirt...otherwise I wouldn't have seen her underwear. But still would have wondered why someone would wear black hose on a hot sunny Florida day.

mergatroid

Original Poster

Wow, just wow :eek:

Did you manage to finish your ice cream bar though? Just reading that made me bring a little sick up into my mouth, never mind actually witnessing it :grumpy:

LAKid53

Premium Member
Wow, just wow :eek:

Did you manage to finish your ice cream bar though? Just reading that made me bring a little sick up into my mouth, never mind actually witnessing it :grumpy:

I did - fortunately I have a strong stomach. The "eew" part was when the husband put the used diaper on the bench....I had finished by then.

mergatroid

Original Poster

The other year at Epcot there were two girls wearing black seamed tights with tiny skirts on, almost like those sexy halloween costumes that many favour nowadays. This too was a hot day and the only reason I can think they did it was to shock people and get attention. I guessed this worked as I followed them round for 10 minutes or so til Mrs M came out of the Japanese pavillion shop and put a stop to me doing this. Even she commented to me what strange attire they were wearing and how hot they must be whilst I pretended to have not noticed them til this moment :rolleyes:

LAKid53

Premium Member
The other year at Epcot there were two girls wearing black seamed tights with tiny skirts on, almost like those sexy halloween costumes that many favour nowadays. This too was a hot day and the only reason I can think they did it was to shock people and get attention. I guessed this worked as I followed them round for 10 minutes or so til Mrs M came out of the Japanese pavillion shop and put a stop to me doing this. Even she commented to me what strange attire they were wearing and how hot they must be whilst I pretended to have not noticed them til this moment :rolleyes:

I still am amazed by the outfits some people wear. All black (including leggings) during the summer Florida heat. Shorts so short and tight to be uncomfortable (not to mention the perpetual wedgies). Platform heels/sandals just waiting for a sprained ankle. Backpacks so heavy from all the stuff crammed in them, back surgery may be necessary for the injury.

ThisisnotDetroit

While waiting in the queue for Dinosaur, saw a young boy in front of me in a wheelchair (maybe 9 or 10 years old). His mother was with him. There is a part of the line where people unable to use the stairs break off from the regular line and use the elevator. It saves about 5 minutes of waiting in line. My mother and I rode the elevator both up and down (after the ride) with him. At the ride's exit, he jumps up out of the wheelchair and runs it over to a bench where his elderly grandfather (great grandfather?) was waiting. That's some nice parenting.

ItlngrlBella

December 2005.
We were the craziest thing I ever saw at WDW.

A Wisconsinite scooter gang going full throttle down Main Street as the Trolley show was coming straight at them.

The gang was my husband's...

- father (hip replacement)
- mother (knee surgery)
- aunt (knee replacement)
- sister (rhumatoid arthritis)
- 20 year old cousin (straight up lazy)

I was 7.5 months pregnant and - NO SCOOTER!

You should have seen the faces of the bus riders when we had to get on Shades of Green shuttles and Disney buses. I kept apologizing to our fellow bus passengers - those scooters took forever to load. Nightmare.

Last edited:

Sans Souci

I read your posts and I can't help but think Mrs. M needs a Girls' Night Out. ;):angelic:

JohnD

I still am amazed by the outfits some people wear. All black (including leggings) during the summer Florida heat. Shorts so short and tight to be uncomfortable (not to mention the perpetual wedgies). Platform heels/sandals just waiting for a sprained ankle. Backpacks so heavy from all the stuff crammed in them, back surgery may be necessary for the injury.

I also see the opposite during the winter. Teens wearing T-shirts, shorts, and sandals during the winter. And they wonder why they are cold. And their parents let them do it. Either the parents are clueless or decide that their children need to figure it out for themselves.

Disney4family

My sister wearing long sleeves and jeans in August when she decided to join us for a family trip. She complained the whole time about the heat. What a shocker. She now refuses to go to Disney during the summer. That's fine. One less person in front of me on line...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom