What's the most surprising thing you've seen at Disney

Kbullz

I have to preface this with saying I have an uncontrollable urge to laugh when I see people trip or fall (unless it looks really bad or painful, I swear!). I have tried to restrain it over the years, but I don't know if it's a nervous thing or what, but I literally cannot help myself. It's not that I don't care if someone is hurt or embarassed, it's an uncontrollable urge.

So last trip we were waiting in line for the Safari at AK. There were these two kids a few people ahead of us, about ages 7-9, who were just WILD. Very anxious, excitable, and of course, the parents could not have cared less. So the girl ran underneath the rope that separates the line and the landscaping, and it was a bit of a hill. She was running up and down, up and down, up and down, until finally I guess she had enough momentum and couldn't stop herself and clotheslined herself on the line rope. She got up seconds later, looking a bit frazzled, saying 'I'm fine! I'm fine!"

At that point, my sister and I literally fell to the ground in tears we were laughing to hard. I fell to the ground. I had enough class to turn away from the child (lol) while I laughed, but I laughed so hard I was crying for the rest of the 10 minute wait. Thinking about it now, I am laughing. My husband and mother were mortified at my sister and myself laughing, but I could not stop.

Now the argument could be made: which was the worse thing? The misbehaving child who clotheslined herself, or the 2 adults who almost peed their pants laughing at it? :D

I too suffer from laughing uncontrollably when someone falls or trips. (Just can't help it ) I was just ROTFL while I read this. Thank you for sharing!! :)

TheMouseFan

This was just last week....during the day of never ending rain at Animal Kingdom. We saw two Rhino's having a little "fun" in the rain while we were on Safari. The funny part was one a third one ran up and realized what was going on and ran off. Something about about that Rhino running was so funny. The Cast Member was pretty entertaining about what the Rhino's were doing. (Luckily the kids were clueless. We were able to get by with that they were playing a game of leap rhino.)
We had a similar experience with the lions back in December. Our driver was really cute and was talking about feeling the love tonight and such. Luckily, my son also didn't pick up what was going on!

DogDriverToo

It could be something good that surprised you, or it could be something that shocked you because it was bad. But it must be something that before you headed into the park you had no idea it was going to happen that day.

I have a service dog and on my first visit to WDW I was out by the lake at Pop Century with my dog when a CM driving a motorized cart came really fast down a diagonal path that ended near me. I knew he was going too fast to make the turn and hoped he didn't turn toward me. Well, you guessed it, he turned toward me and couldn't stop and rammed my scooter (Walker Rental). He never said anything to me, just spent about 5 min trying to disengage his cart from the scooter and then took off. He left about a 15 foot skid mark on the pavement.

I remember thinking, "This is not supposed to happen at the happiest place on earth."
I went to the concierge desk and they questioned me all about it and added some meals to my plan, to make up for it I guess. But you are only there so many days, extra meals mean nothing. The next day a supervisor was out walking around with a clipboard and passed me on the same spot. I told her my tale and showed her the skid mark. She was the first person to ask if I was okay. Nice lady.

Nemo14

I went to the concierge desk and they questioned me all about it and added some meals to my plan, to make up for it I guess. But you are only there so many days, extra meals mean nothing. The next day a supervisor was out walking around with a clipboard and passed me on the same spot. I told her my tale and showed her the skid mark. She was the first person to ask if I was okay. Nice lady.

Are you mergatroid?

FettFan

In NY (or NYC, anyway) it's legal for women to go topless.

I don't get the being offended by breastfeeding thing - seems to me that body part becomes completely -desexualized when it's being used to feed a baby, no matter how exposed it is.

It's not so much being offended as it is being uncomfortable around seeing a total strangers naked body. Same as seeing someone's buttcrack hanging out of low riding pants.

jkl2000

It's not so much being offended as it is being uncomfortable around seeing a total strangers naked body. Same as seeing someone's buttcrack hanging out of low riding pants.

I'd just ignore it, the same way I'd ignore the buttcrack. But I guess I can understand that different people have different reactions to it.

CdnDznyLuvr

A couple years ago, we had just walked by the phone booths in the UK pavilion at Epcot and turned to see a "gentleman" in a sleeveless shirt washing himself in the fountain just outside the restrooms. First his face, then his arms, then his armpits :jawdrop: ... needless to say, every time we passed by there after hubby and I ask each other if either of us needs a bath :joyfull:

FettFan

A couple years ago, we had just walked by the phone booths in the UK pavilion at Epcot and turned to see a "gentleman" in a sleeveless shirt washing himself in the fountain just outside the restrooms. First his face, then his arms, then his armpits :jawdrop: ... needless to say, every time we passed by there after hubby and I ask each other if either of us needs a bath :joyfull:

EW. EW. EW. EW.

I mean he could have waited until he was at Canada and bathed in the waterfall...

BiffyClyro

It could be something good that surprised you, or it could be something that shocked you because it was bad. But it must be something that before you headed into the park you had no idea it was going to happen that day.

For me apart from seeing a dwarf being led on a leash by a woman in high heels and fishnets one night at Downtown Disney, I would have to say it was probably a fight nearly breaking out at Splash Mountain many years ago between a visitor and a fireman. Somebody had fallen and become trapped between the side of one of the vehicles and the track.
there's terrible people everywhere, even in Disney.
I always see or get some weirdo coming up to me at Downtown Disney. I think maybe because of the clubs that used to be there, so hopefully when it's done up it will attract a different kind of audience.

I had a guy trying to ask me on a date, in front of my parents. It was the most awkward experience i've ever had in my life. :oops:

Mark In KY

In the 1980s we were in MK when an entourage of Disney suits filed in. One broke off from the pack, picked up some trash and tossed it in the nearest can. It was Michael Eisner. I went up to him and asked about him picking up trash. His reply, "If I'm not willing to do it how can I expect anyone else to?"

But hey, why are some of you so afraid for your kids to see animals mateing?

TheMouseFan

In the 1980s we were in MK when an entourage of Disney suits filed in. One broke off from the pack, picked up some trash and tossed it in the nearest can. It was Michael Eisner. I went up to him and asked about him picking up trash. His reply, "If I'm not willing to do it how can I expect anyone else to?"

But hey, why are some of you so afraid for your kids to see animals mateing?
Not afraid for him to see it, just don't want to have to explain things in the middle of KS!

Matt_Black

Not so much a surprising thing to see, but hear. I'm at World of Disney, looking for some merchandise for some of my favorite Disney properties, so I go to the counter to ask the CM at the computer so she can look it up in the database.

Me: "Do you have any Gargoyles merchandise?"
CM: *blank stare*
Me: "That's not surprising. What about Tron?"
CM: "Oh, that's at Universal."
Me: "Well, that makes... HUH?!?"

AdventureHasAName

In the 80s, I had Burt Reynolds and Loni Anderson walk up right behind me in line at the store that used to be in the Magic Kingdom's castle. That was pretty neat.

On a very crowded summer day while working Fastpassa at Frontierland, I saw a father scale up the side of the train overpass and start yelling at the top of their voice for a child they had lost! The guy was in total panic and one of the managers finally got him down...

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
One time I saw the characters just running around the parks by themselves communicating with guests and having fun!! :D

Wait... no... that was Disneyland..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom