"What's Next?" presentation December 7th

Turtle

As an aside, that's kind of a cool thing is that they could put totally different Star Wars "lands" in different Disney Parks world wide if they wished. Which would be a nice unique draw to each resort.)

I think for DHS there should be one solid title "Star Wars Land" but in that would have three atmospheres: Coruscant, Endor, and Tatooine. Star Tours' exterior would be re-done to look like a futuristic airport in Coruscant. Tatooine would have a flat-ride, Mos Eisley Cantina, and Jedi Training Academy. Endor would have a night fireworks show like in the last movie, and a speeder bike coaster

lazyboy97o

Basically, I'd wait until after the successful release of at least one and possibly all three movies. It's not that building a Star Wars land is a bad idea; it's that the movies are much more likely to have a better ROCE (Return On Capital Employed).
This. Each film will make back its cost and then some over a single weekend. Attractions take years. Disney (Iger) is going to pick the weekend first.

doctornick

I think for DHS there should be one solid title "Star Wars Land" but in that would have three atmospheres: Coruscant, Endor, and Tatooine. Star Tours' exterior would be re-done to look like a futuristic airport in Coruscant. Tatooine would have a flat-ride, Mos Eisley Cantina, and Jedi Training Academy. Endor would have a night fireworks show like in the last movie, and a speeder bike coaster

Sounds great to me, though I'd put the Jedi Training Academy on Coruscant and make it look like the Jedi Temple. I think something like that would be a great long term plan, but could be done in phases (doing Tatooine and Coruscant first and having Endor be Phase 2).

SSE

Now, another way that I wouldn't advise is that you just put everything into a Disney hat. Decide that just getting in the door is the way to go and if you want to design theme parks there's nothing wrong with being an IPer/CPer and then simply a CM at say WDW. Convince yourself as you clean toilets in Tomorrowland or work a cash register at DAK or take orders at The Wave that you're already in the door and that it will mean something. And as the years pass, you'll realize what a waste of a lifetime you've made and that those other doors are not easy to open. ... I actually have an Aussie friend, who isn't all that much older than you. He dreams of being an animator and has some talent. He's already traveled from the bottom of the world to work at WDW (in resorts) and when he finishes school plans on moving back to O-Town and 'doing anything at Disney' to get himself in the door. The sad thing is that is exactly the path to -- at best -- sitting backstage and copying the art of others for merchandise or maybe working a concierge position since dumb Americans love accents, makes them think the person is smarter than they are. (Oh, and to make things better he's planning on moving in with another dude who I'm not sure he realizes is in love with him. Should be a fun time!)

I just wanted to quote this part because a lot of it I can relate to myself. I wanted to work for Disney since I was about 13 I think and when I went to college found out about the CP. I started in custodial in Future World at Epcot and moved to attractions when I extended my program. I convinced myself that once I graduated college I would get a job at Disney in my field because I already worked there. When I graduated in 2009 I moved to Florida and started working attractions full time convinced it was only a matter of time before I would actually be in my field. Eventually it became obvious that it wasn't so easy and I needed to make a decision. I ended up leaving Disney and Florida because if I didn't I would most likely become unemployable due to the amount of time that was passing and the fact that I still had yet to hold a job in the field I went to school for. I now live in New England and have a job in my field, but there is a small part of me that would still like to work at Disney again someday (in my field only), but I am not the same naive person with pixie dust in my eyes.

Toonfan1

Disney's Hollywood Studios there should be one massive Star Wars Land featureing Hoth,Kawsyska,Naboo,Tatoonie and Crosucant from Star Tours with a improved Jedi Acamdey in the old sound dangerous theathear,Mos elias cantina express,Lightsaver Acamdey a 3-D Training experince,The Rebillion Battle Adventrue a 4-D Dark Ride more complex then Transformers and sipderman at Universal,Cewckbka's Treetop Filght a Family Spining Coaster manfured by Mack Rides themed to a arieal flilght above Kawsyska with Cewckbka,Tatoonie Pod Raceing Course a Thirlling EMV Dark Ride themed to a Pod Raceing adventrue on Tatoonie and Naboo Aqautic Adventrue a Thirlling Water ride themed to a Undersea Journey with and Naboo Sealife.

COProgressFan

I just wanted to quote this part because a lot of it I can relate to myself. I wanted to work for Disney since I was about 13 I think and when I went to college found out about the CP. I started in custodial in Future World at Epcot and moved to attractions when I extended my program. I convinced myself that once I graduated college I would get a job at Disney in my field because I already worked there. When I graduated in 2009 I moved to Florida and started working attractions full time convinced it was only a matter of time before I would actually be in my field. Eventually it became obvious that it wasn't so easy and I needed to make a decision. I ended up leaving Disney and Florida because if I didn't I would most likely become unemployable due to the amount of time that was passing and the fact that I still had yet to hold a job in the field I went to school for. I now live in New England and have a job in my field, but there is a small part of me that would still like to work at Disney again someday (in my field only), but I am not the same naive person with pixie dust in my eyes.

I think this is the case with countless CPs and former CPs.

Sadly, the way that Disney works today, (and most corporate America) it is nearly impossible to work your way up from attractions host, or busboy, or custodial into management (or even more skilled positions, no matter your education) today. Generic suits seem to be in, no matter how passion-less they are or lackluster their performance.

It's a shame really, because there are literally thousands of young CMs at WDW who really are passionate about their jobs and passionate about Disney. And many of them are very educated, very intelligent, and very creative. A leader with some intelligence might recognize that these should be the up and comers at WDW -- who better to run the resort than the folks that have been on the front lines and champion the product?

But it's not about hiring passionate people to better the product. Better to simply tow the line, play company politics and secure your own position for the future, company be damned. WDW is no longer about having quality people put out a quality product -- its about providing a stable source of income to the corporation and Wall Street at absolute minimal cost and at absolute minimum risk.

doctornick

Have any of the insiders heard anything about the pending announcements? Is it going to be relatively uninspiring as we all expect (talk about the 7DMT/Princess Fairytale Hall and maybe some show changes)? Will it include Pandora info?

Turtle

Have any of the insiders heard anything about the pending announcements? Is it going to be relatively uninspiring as we all expect (talk about the 7DMT/Princess Fairytale Hall and maybe some show changes)? Will it include Pandora info?
I think it's: Fantasyland Phase 2 Info (Tangled Area, SDMT, Fairytale Hall), NextGen, Avatar concept art, a new attraction for a park, and MAYBE DHS expansion

TTA94

Has anyone heard if the event will be a live video broadcast? Or only a FB or Twitter feed? This event is not open to regular park guests, APs, or CMs correct?

Pixiedustmaker

Disney is one of the top companies that kids out of college want to work for, right up there with Apple and Google. Somebody could also work at an Apple store and figure they'd be in line for a job with Apple at headquarters involved with design, but of course, these companies take just some of the best for the higher up positions.

I think people confuse the "Disney Magic" and "dreams come true" with the realities of the job market, and like any highly regarded corporation, it is hard to get the coveted jobs at Disney.

Fractal514

My predictions are: A more precised timeline for Snow White Coaster, a more complete list of the Limited Time Magic events, an update on Avatarland, the long-rumored parade updates/returns, and one thing extra, but probably not a major new attraction.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom