"What's Next?" presentation December 7th

IWant2GoNow

Why doesn't he tell you what's really going to happen with next gen.
Step 1 slow removal of fastpass as we know it
Step 2 if your not staying at a on property resort no access to any form of fast pass
Step 3 removal of fastpass from the value resorts and mods it will become a buy in if wanted
Step 4 have only free fastpass for people that stay at a deluxe resort.
That's your basic outline. Sure will it nice to have a bracelet that you can charge things to your room and get into your room with, but the majority of what's about to come isn't as great as it seems. I'm sure the front desk knows something's and I don't mean to be offensive but facts are facts something's aren't changing for good, some of the things I've seen and heard will drum up a lot of concern here and in other communities

I was on board until Step 3. Depending on prices I'd probably still cough up the dough. However, do you think they will do the same with EMH later on?

disneyeater

Why doesn't he tell you what's really going to happen with next gen.
Step 1 slow removal of fastpass as we know it
Step 2 if your not staying at a on property resort no access to any form of fast pass
Step 3 removal of fastpass from the value resorts and mods it will become a buy in if wanted
Step 4 have only free fastpass for people that stay at a deluxe resort.
That's your basic outline. Sure will it nice to have a bracelet that you can charge things to your room and get into your room with, but the majority of what's about to come isn't as great as it seems. I'm sure the front desk knows something's and I don't mean to be offensive but facts are facts something's aren't changing for good, some of the things I've seen and heard will drum up a lot of concern here and in other communities

And if you are staying DVC?

td1129

Pipe down buddy, everything he's said in this and the hilarious pay-for-Fastpass thread has been spot on. Very specific details of the program including dates have been outlined to large numbers of management level CMs across property.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what piece will be first. Heck, they were testing it in what I'd call 90% mode today.

Never thought i'd see a fellow MBer on here.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The way that this can work is if the usage of Fastpass+ is less than the current usage of regular Fastpass. In this case, Standby lines would actually go down and things would start to move back towards the pre-Fastpass days. It's a scenario that hasn't really been outlined here in all the Fastpass+ discussion but it may be a possibility.
I think this will be the key to success. We have heard a lot of talk about lower occupancy rates at on property hotels so this could be the equalizer. If you take the value resorts out of the picture that's about 1/3 of the rooms. If they then make the moderates have to pay extra for it there will probably be less than 100% participation so the number of eligible guests using the program will be significantly smaller than current fast pass which is available to all. As you said, this makes the fast pass usage smaller which makes the standby lines shorter. What this does primarily is give the deluxe resorts and DVC a rather large benefit that could/should drive people to pay for deluxe or buy more DVC. Who gets screwed? People looking to vacation at WDW on a budget and/or locals. Maybe they can solve the local issues by making it available to AP holders too, but it will probably be some sort of up charge to get it. At the end of the day, I am OK with this since we never stay value and rarely stay off property, but I can see why it might upset some.

RSoxNo1

I think this will be the key to success. We have heard a lot of talk about lower occupancy rates at on property hotels so this could be the equalizer. If you take the value resorts out of the picture that's about 1/3 of the rooms. If they then make the moderates have to pay extra for it there will probably be less than 100% participation so the number of eligible guests using the program will be significantly smaller than current fast pass which is available to all. As you said, this makes the fast pass usage smaller which makes the standby lines shorter. What this does primarily is give the deluxe resorts and DVC a rather large benefit that could/should drive people to pay for deluxe or buy more DVC. Who gets screwed? People looking to vacation at WDW on a budget and/or locals. Maybe they can solve the local issues by making it available to AP holders too, but it will probably be some sort of up charge to get it. At the end of the day, I am OK with this since we never stay value and rarely stay off property, but I can see why it might upset some.
The other side of the argument though is that the people that were previously using Fastpass are now in the Standby line. Unless Disney intends to sell merchandise and/or snacks in line there is now no potential for these guests to spend money during this time. I still think this is an incredibly short sighted plan, and it really has the potential to blow up in their face.

ParentsOf4

The other side of the argument though is that the people that were previously using Fastpass are now in the Standby line. Unless Disney intends to sell merchandise and/or snacks in line there is now no potential for these guests to spend money during this time. I still think this is an incredibly short sighted plan, and it really has the potential to blow up in their face.
I believe the original idea behind FP was to allow people more time to shop. The reality is that many get a FP for one attraction and then immediately jump in line for a second attraction. Effectively, these people are queued for 2 attractions at the same time. The next effect is that the length all Standby lines have grown tremendously even though park attendance has not.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I believe the original idea behind FP was to allow people more time to shop. The reality is that many get a FP for one attraction and then immediately jump in line for a second attraction. Effectively, these people are queued for 2 attractions at the same time. The next effect is that the length all Standby lines have grown tremendously even though park attendance has not.

Never knew it was intended for shopping. Guess that makes sense. I personally always did exactly what you said. Grabbed a fast pass then got in line for the nearest ride. Maybe I would grab lunch if it was around the right time, but I was eating either way.

If you have to shell out cash for a deluxe to get fast pass plus you'll have no money left for shopping;).

celluloid

Let me sum up what this event will be about now for anyone getting their hopes up in excitement for anything substantial or new. Likely how it will go down:

We are about bringing new experiences of timeless stories and worlds our guests have always wanted to be in.

With the recent opening of our expansion of Fantasyland this is more apparent than ever.

(resorts and vacation destinations across the world by Disney blah blah somewhere in there)

And the next year is all about limited time magic. From spontaneous happenings to you must be here events for the year of 2013.

Would love to be proven wrong but that is the gist I am waiting for.

SirLink

Isn't that why the whole 'ride experiences' were developed so they could basically sell you on being in the rides - whether it be Winnie the Pooh celebrating your event in the ride, being a spooky portrait in HM, etc. They'll get the guests who see nothing wrong with the parks to spend a pretty chunk on these.

djkidkaz

Original Poster
Let me sum up what this event will be about now for anyone getting their hopes up in excitement for anything substantial or new. Likely how it will go down:

We are about bringing new experiences of timeless stories and worlds our guests have always wanted to be in.

With the recent opening of our expansion of Fantasyland this is more apparent than ever.

(resorts and vacation destinations across the world by Disney blah blah somewhere in there)

And the next year is all about limited time magic. From spontaneous happenings to you must be here events for the year of 2013.

Ugh, that sounds horrible! And the sad part is I know your right... :(

GoofGoof

Premium Member

I agree we will probably all be disappointed, but they already announced the special theme for 2013.

RSoxNo1

Isn't that why the whole 'ride experiences' were developed so they could basically sell you on being in the rides - whether it be Winnie the Pooh celebrating your event in the ride, being a spooky portrait in HM, etc. They'll get the guests who see nothing wrong with the parks to spend a pretty chunk on these.
Yeah, that's the thing - I have much less of a problem with them monetizing that like originally planned. That's not taking something away that was available to all guests. If the monetized component is the combination of Fastpass+ with the "ride experiences" I would have much less of an issue with it.

SirLink

Yeah, that's the thing - I have much less of a problem with them monetizing that like originally planned. That's not taking something away that was available to all guests. If the monetized component is the combination of Fastpass+ with the "ride experiences" I would have much less of an issue with it.

The way I understood it was that there would be some next gen experiences that would cost extra for all guests whether an individual had access to Faspass+ and then you have some add-ons which require you to have Fastpass+ to indicate which car/boat/plane you are in to trigger your 'special' experience.

But who knows it seems Disney want this full on and then people within the company want to take it slow and steady and roll it out gradually... Still they could of put an RFID in the ticket media and be done even scale back Fastpass - Disney still would of got their 'valuable' data.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom