What Grinds Your Gears At the Parks?

wdwfan100

The reality is that WDW is for people of all ages. Young and old a like have a right to come and enjoy there time there. It takes the adults to know that kids are kids. Don't expect them to be small adults. They should be able to take in the awe and wonder that is there to be experienced. There is nothing in the world like seeing that magic in the eyes of your children. Parents of kids need to be aware that WDW is not there only for their child. That there are boundries that need to be respected and not allow their child to behave in a manner that will negatively impact others (child or adult) enjoyment of the world. It may take an adult to restrain themselves from complaining or giving the evil eye to anyone that dare intrude on them. It will also take a parent to remind the child to be quite during the ride/show, or not jump play in the aisles of a restaurant when it it not a "Disney activity". It all boils down to courtesy. Strollers and Kids are not the problem. People (young and old) who refuse to respect others equal right to enjoy the parks and resorts are.

Now teens......That is a whole other issue :animwink:

figmentisgreat

My one point about chldren -

Children cry :cry::cry::cry:
Oh well - it's what they do!

However, it is the parents' responsibility to, one the child starts crying :cry:, to remove them from the area and calm them down.

The same questions come up about having children in churches/synagagogues/stores/movies/etc. As long as children are parented properly, there is no problem having them at these places!

Personally, I was brought to Disney many, many times as a very young child. While I don't remember every moment of it, my family has some great stories to tell, we have fantastic photographs, and my early experiences contributed highly to my current love of Disney. There were never issues with me. If I threw a temper tantrum, I got a smack on my butt! If I was crying, my mom took me somewhere to calm down. When I wasn't in a stroller (which my mother pushed with the upmost respect!!), I was on a leash. Yes, a wrist leash. It makes for a fun "never have I ever" game.

Conclusion - Bad parents should not be allowed in the parks. :sohappy::sohappy:

My one point about chldren -

Children cry :cry::cry::cry:
Oh well - it's what they do!

However, it is the parents' responsibility to, one the child starts crying :cry:, to remove them from the area and calm them down.

The same questions come up about having children in churches/synagagogues/stores/movies/etc. As long as children are parented properly, there is no problem having them at these places!

Personally, I was brought to Disney many, many times as a very young child. While I don't remember every moment of it, my family has some great stories to tell, we have fantastic photographs, and my early experiences contributed highly to my current love of Disney. There were never issues with me. If I threw a temper tantrum, I got a smack on my butt! If I was crying, my mom took me somewhere to calm down. When I wasn't in a stroller (which my mother pushed with the upmost respect!!), I was on a leash. Yes, a wrist leash. It makes for a fun "never have I ever" game.

Conclusion - Bad parents should not be allowed in the parks. :sohappy::sohappy:
Funny you mention this, my wife and I were a huge fan of those!!! My youngest who is 15 this week went EVERYWHERE with a leash. When we would go shopping before the leash we would hear pages on the intercom for us to come get her and she's on the other side of Wal Mart in less than 2 minutes!!! I am a huge supporter in the "leash movement" and I totally understand dealling with difficult children. We used them for all three of ours and now have a 20 yo that is going to ministry school, a 17 yo who is going to the La Cordon Bleu in 2 years, and the 15 yo who wants to be an Aggie and go to school for some kind of animal sciences program (not sure yet which one). So, I think I can be measured as somewhat successful so far in parenting. I am surprised this has not come up until now but I think we've opened a can of worms :ROFLOL:!!!

figmentisgreat

Funny you mention this, my wife and I were a huge fan of those!!! My youngest who is 15 this week went EVERYWHERE with a leash. When we would go shopping before the leash we would hear pages on the intercom for us to come get her and she's on the other side of Wal Mart in less than 2 minutes!!! I am a huge supporter in the "leash movement" and I totally understand dealling with difficult children. We used them for all three of ours and now have a 20 yo that is going to ministry school, a 17 yo who is going to the La Cordon Bleu in 2 years, and the 15 yo who wants to be an Aggie and go to school for some kind of animal sciences program (not sure yet which one). So, I think I can be measured as somewhat successful so far in parenting. I am surprised this has not come up until now but I think we've opened a can of worms :ROFLOL:!!!

Maybe - I should say that I LOVED my leash. Our trips were always my mom, her best friend, and her daughter and I. We both had our matching leashes. I felt so safe with it!!! I once had a dream that I was in the mall and someone took my leash off and kidnapped me. I was a very neurotic child!

figmentisgreat

Btw, congratulations on your children's successes!

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Mrs Sak, thats why shes banned from driving.

In fact anyone who isnat as perfect as what I am. But especially work shy Big Issue salesmen holidaying on benefits whilst bedecked in green and grey hooped nylon shirts.

Oh and fit tarts who wear too much clothing.

d1sn3y

i actually gotta agree, bringing kids just causes more headach and pain for yourself and others then it does good. And since kids memories dont work until 3, and they dont even work well until 5 or later its a complete waste (im not making this up we learned it in psychology n i know ima get the person whose all like 'omg i totally remember bla bla bla, your full of crap', but memories are so flawed its ludacris).

my teacher broke out in laugher when she was talking about her sister in law spending buko bucks on her kids 2nd birthday n how that kid isnt even gonna remember it n how she remembers her 3rd birthday PERFECTLY, but it was proved that it was her sisters 3rd birthday not hers, even still it doesnt take away how vividly she remembers all of the details of 'her 3rd b-day'

Thank You...

After reading this thread I have a better understanding of both sides of the issue. I do agree that alot can be determined on the demeanor of the child along with how the parents handle unfortunate situations. I guess I come from my way of thinking because I don't have a whole lot of money, and for me to make a trip down to WDW I don't want to have the trip lie on the balance of a child who hasn't learned how to control their overreactive emotions. :rolleyes:

eroyee

People who stop in big groups right in the pathway and visit or read maps and talk about where next? People who stand in line at a counter service for 20 mins. in front of the menu, and then, get up there and try to decide what they and about 4 kids want at the last minute!!!!

wdwfan100

In fact anyone who isnat as perfect as what I am. But especially work shy Big Issue salesmen holidaying on benefits whilst bedecked in green and grey hooped nylon shirts.

Eloquent as usual Mr. Nakasak :lol:

Always good for a laugh to brighten the day!!!
:ROFLOL:

Mrs. Jobson

You can argue logic all you want. And I agree with you, it makes no sense.

However I am the same way. I will type HCoE, and ToT and PoC and I:RoE all day long. It's just something about DD6 and DH and DS4 that gets to me.

I don't call people on it, because I know it's silly. Just for some reason it irks me.

-dave
I totally agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It gets on my nerves really bad.

I would just like to say that it is not just about how much a child will remember from going to Disney at such a young age. I do not have children yet but when I do I can tell you that I will be taking them as soon as I get the chance even though they may not remember. It isn't just about making memories your children will remember. It is also about making memories you will remember. Isn't it worth seeing the look on your child's face the first time they see the castle, or their favorite character in person for the first time? I love to see the little faces light up of children who are seeing it all for the first time. They may not remember but you sure will.

maggiegrace1

I used to love threads like this on other Disney sites ... it was fun watching people do battle while the real world crumbled. Now ... it's all kind of sad.

But what grinds my gears at WDW is the same behaviors that do so in the real world ... boorish behavior by people of all ages, weights, colors, nationalities, sexual orientation, religions etc ... who don't take into consideration that they (and their families, which may or may not include children of any/all ages) are not the only people on Earth ... the only thing even worse is when boorish people online defend such behaviors ... of course what would the Internet be without such DoB (Defenders of Boorishness)?
I agree with you..people everywhere think that they can do whatever they please wherever they are and never take anyone else into consideration..and I do not defend those people ever.

I do not like people who ASSUME that just because some children cry and scream and throw fits and the parenst do nothing about it that ALL children do that and that ALL parents just allow it.

I have been on many attractions by myself because I knew Maggie would talk/sing/get up and so I did not take her on the attraction..or we have brought her on some and she would start to talk/sing/play and so I would take her out so she would not ruin the attraction for others.

Not everyone with kids or on scooters or with strollers and so forth behave like they own the world.

:D
Okay....so I know that WDW is aimed at kids (and grown up kids), but what REALLY annoys me is when I'm trying to enjoy a show at the parks, and low and behold, directly behind me sits a small child (or infant) who either cries or talks REALLY LOUD during the presentation :mad: :shrug: And yes....I know I'm gonna hear from this one.....:drevil:
I do not think anyone is going to blast you for this..because we all hate that...I do and I have a child who is young and like I just stated above..if she acts up or makes noise..like kids do...then I take her out or do not bring her on something because I do not want her to ruin it for everyone else.

baby1disney

I guess the only two things that I can think of would be 1) when the kids act better than the parents!!!:ROFLOL:On my trip this past March, my whole family agreed that we had no problems with the kids there..it was the adults!!:lol: The kids I ran into always said excuse me, thank you, may I, please, etc. The adults looked at us like we should know better to expect anything but from them....ahhh what marvelous examples they had sat for those kids.

I remember one situation where there was a kid holding a spot for his dad, mom, and sister. They were probably about 3 or 4 people ahead of me. Now, that doesn't bother me because I've had to leave the line or something to take my DS to the bathroom or DH has. Well, about 15 min had passed and they weren't coming. The kid(probably about 16,17) told us and the other people to go ahead. Well, not even 5 min later, his family had shown up. At this point, they were maybe about 5-7 people behind us. The father blew up at him and told him that he couldn't believe that he was that stupid.:mad: On top of that, the father asked where would we have been at. He pointed towards me and said about 4-5 people in front of her. The father looked at him and said that he couldn't believe that he would let "my kind" go ahead of him and that he should know better.

I thought: "My kind?!?! What?? A beautiful, full-figured woman who's smart, funny and kind??" I told my DH this and he got mad..of course. Then I told him what I just wrote and he just looked at me and shook his head. He told me: "Only you could make something like that funny!!":ROFLOL::drevil: Needless to say, the mom and the sister were horrified!!:eek: I would've been too!!

Sorry to get off topic...but here's my second thing I don't like...and it's going to ironic in a sense: When people are holding the line for someone..supposedly...and then next thing you know...like 20 people cut in front of me. Now, like I said..I don't mind if it's like 2-3 people because usually it's a parent takin kids to the bathroom or someone in that group going to the bathroom, getting something to drink, ect. But 20 people?!?! That's just ridiculous!!!:hammer:

Sorry this was so long...I'll try to not talk so much next time!!!:sohappy::D

mickeymatt

Thank You...

After reading this thread I have a better understanding of both sides of the issue. I do agree that alot can be determined on the demeanor of the child along with how the parents handle unfortunate situations. I guess I come from my way of thinking because I don't have a whole lot of money, and for me to make a trip down to WDW I don't want to have the trip lie on the balance of a child who hasn't learned how to control their overreactive emotions. :rolleyes:
I am glad you see both sides. I have no money either (In Grad School full time) and I have never had my vacation ruined by a child's or children's behavior in WDW. Are there brats out there? Sure. But there are many more well behaved children out there.

ewensell3

To me, it's pretty much along the lines of how, in our society today, we're too lazy to say "Kentucky Fried Chicken" or "Dairy Queen". So now we have to call them "KFC" and "DQ".

Interesting choice of examples.

From 1991 to 2006, Kentucky Fried Chicken's official trademarked name was "KFC". Not because of pressure from a lazy public, but because the state of Kentucky trademarked the name "Kentucky" and started demanding licensing fees from businesses that used it. The rename helped KFC avoid the fee. Many other "Kentucky" entities followed suit (eg. Kentucky Derby renamed themselves "The Run for the Roses").

As for DQ, I don't know what their story is, but they are using the "DQ" abbreviation on all new signage as of 2001.

I see a sign, I call it how I see it.

Edit - What grinds my gears is empty seats on Toy Story Midway Mania on busy days.

Disneybird

One more thing that grinds my gears: people sitting, swinging, etc. on the barricades, ropes, line dividers, etc.. I'm still waiting for the day when someone falls and gets hurt and blames that on Disney.

sbkline

Interesting choice of examples.

From 1991 to 2006, Kentucky Fried Chicken's official trademarked name was "KFC". Not because of pressure from a lazy public, but because the state of Kentucky trademarked the name "Kentucky" and started demanding licensing fees from businesses that used it. The rename helped KFC avoid the fee. Many other "Kentucky" entities followed suit (eg. Kentucky Derby renamed themselves "The Run for the Roses").

As for DQ, I don't know what their story is, but they are using the "DQ" abbreviation on all new signage as of 2001.

I see a sign, I call it how I see it.

Edit - What grinds my gears is empty seats on Toy Story Midway Mania on busy days.

Okay, so I could have picked some better examples! :hammer::p

I think my point still stands, though. I was actually thinking of the Jabba the Hutt scene in Return of the Jedi, where Luke had a hologram message to Jabba

"As a token of my goodwill, I present to you a gift; these 4 droids. R2D2, C-3PO, DD14 and DS12..." :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom