What Do ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
Lets see.. Jim's new title is VP of WDW parks and next gen experience... so he must be working with WDI on RFID tech that was rumored to be the next gen concept where your ticket would have a chip and your name may be used in a ride... (like on SSE, or mission space... or even characters saying your name on rides...)

DDK.. K might mean kingdom... D might mean Disney, but the other D i cannot figure out... and thats a lot of money into research and implementation for RFID...

how close am I?

Very, very, very close.:)

The DDK has been a code name for the project and has been designed to toss people into thinking incorrect conclusions ... like say ... fifth gates.

The reality is about technology and what started with things like Destination Disney, FastPass, Pal Mickey, biometrics and the like and moving the WDW parkgoing experience into the 21st century ... and boy, after seeing parts of WDW, it sure could use them.

I think Disney announcing these things now is jumping the gun because some Spirits know large parts of what is planned.

I wonder if the USA Annual Pass will suddenly be announced or if we'll have to wait until February.

And Phase 2 of F-Land too!:xmas:

WDW1974

Original Poster
Any chance of the attraction becoming more relevant to today's audience?

If you mean characters, then I can say only not that I have heard.

But it is interesting that MK was the park they were first proposed for and that plan goes back almost a decade yet HKDL and DL are the only parks that have 'em.

What I was told had to do with simply making the queue flow better (gee, didn't they just do that?) and doing some cosmetic work (including the clock facade area).

BUT ... it was also strongly hinted that the new tech may make an appearance in The Happiest Cruise That Ever Sailed ... not sure whether this is true or just tossed out to wind up here.:xmas:

cdunbar

The DDK has been a code name for the project and has been designed to toss people into thinking incorrect conclusions ... like say ... fifth gates.

The reality is about technology and what started with things like Destination Disney, FastPass, Pal Mickey, biometrics and the like and moving the WDW parkgoing experience into the 21st century ... and boy, after seeing parts of WDW, it sure could use them.

I think Disney announcing these things now is jumping the gun because some Spirits know large parts of what is planned.

I wonder if the USA Annual Pass will suddenly be announced or if we'll have to wait until February.

Disney's Digital Kingdom perhaps...I say this because you're talking about all the technology that will soon be implemented and what is this USA Annual Pass, and just because I'm DYING to know will there be a blonde english girl and a white rabbit in the phase of f-land? Please say YES, Please!:zipit:

GrumpyFan

Hmmmm...
Talk about your teasing... WOW!!!
You sure said a lot there, without actually saying anything specific... :animwink: Head spinning, must, sit, down...

WDW1974

Original Poster
:lol:

I'm not "tinfoil hat" scared of RFID. I'm scared of the ridiculous amount of cheesey opportunities it opens up on rides.

Technology doesn't scare me (even if I just learned how to program my VCR when it is almost obsolete!) ... Disney used to lead the way on the tech curve and this can do that for them again IF it is done right.

And that's a big IF when they can't even decorate their parks for Christmas anymore.

But there are some amazing possibilities and having Jim riding herd on it is a VERY good thing! :xmas:

WDW1974

Original Poster
Hmmmm...
Talk about your teasing... WOW!!!
You sure said a lot there, without actually saying anything specific... :animwink: Head spinning, must, sit, down...

Sorry. I can only say a certain amount of things. And I only know certain things.

But there is a lot going on.

And I'm reasonably certain that announcing Jim's responsibilities now is largely because the info is starting to leak out and Disney would rather release it themselves than have another F-Land leak situation. But at least it IS (or has the potential) to all be good! :xmas:

GrumpyFan

So, are we possibly talking about a "virtual" fifth gate? Something similar to this?

I like technology, it excites me because there is soooo much room and opportunity to use it, especially in the parks.

MousDad

And I'm reasonably certain that announcing Jim's responsibilities now is largely because the info is starting to leak out and Disney would rather release it themselves than have another F-Land leak situation. But at least it IS (or has the potential) to all be good! :xmas:

That would explain, in a good way, why Jim has been persona non grata for a while.

Thanks a lot for sharing this information.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I know you have a very strong opinion (and it sounds like you're the only one who has heard all this, unless martin has too) so.... the things that might "go on", are they all good or bad things?

OK ... last post until later tonight or tomorrow as work calls.

But I haven't heard all about this, just large bits and pieces and today's announcement leads me to believe they are all correct.

And IF (read that word about seven times) things are done right (and Jim DOES care about doing things the right way ... I have never heard anyone inside or outside of Disney say a bad thing about the dude), it should largely be very good.

One last thing to ponder, but the timing of this is all tied into what is happening with the competition in O-Town.

The fact Disney is throwing a big media party/announcement just before WWoHP opens and just after SW's sale was completed and the money faucet turned on is telling you they seriously are worried about losing market share.

That's a good thing for those of us who love WDW, but also are tired of its staleness.

I really gotta run ... but looking forward to seeing what some other folks have to say! :xmas:

drew81

There is a lot of substance in that OP.

I don't know much more, but I do know enough to fill in some blanks ... and I will, but I'd like to toss it out first and see what transpires and help Steve pay his holiday bills by pushing up the post/hit counts before I spill on what I know and what I believe it means.

Besides, I'm back in the real world and actually have to um ... what do they call it? ... oh yeah ... work.

But there really is a lot there.

Oh, and before I forget, Small World will be going down for a major rehab early in 2010 with the major purpose being changing the queue (back?) to improve capacity and flow. This apparently was just decided on.

There's also strong talk of private hard ticket parties for Valentine's Day (something Disney actually did in the 1980s) as some at TDO believe it's the next big holiday season they can own/merchandise/SELL, SELL, SELL like Christmas and Halloween.

But neither has anything to do with the OP.

Interesting responses so far.

It's possible, but with how Pirate and Princess ended I'm not sure they will go forward with a Valentine's Day event. But then again Disney changes their mind at the drop off a hat. I have heard the Nightmare before Christmas event could still come to the Studios down the road.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
OK ... last post until later tonight or tomorrow as work calls.

But I haven't heard all about this, just large bits and pieces and today's announcement leads me to believe they are all correct.

And IF (read that word about seven times) things are done right (and Jim DOES care about doing things the right way ... I have never heard anyone inside or outside of Disney say a bad thing about the dude), it should largely be very good.

One last thing to ponder, but the timing of this is all tied into what is happening with the competition in O-Town.

The fact Disney is throwing a big media party/announcement just before WWoHP opens and just after SW's sale was completed and the money faucet turned on is telling you they seriously are worried about losing market share.

That's a good thing for those of us who love WDW, but also are tired of its staleness.

I really gotta run ... but looking forward to seeing what some other folks have to say! :xmas:

If Disney is actually concerned about competition, then this is a VERY good thing, because it means they'll actually do some good things!!

nemofinder22

There is a lot of substance in that OP.

I don't know much more, but I do know enough to fill in some blanks ... and I will, but I'd like to toss it out first and see what transpires and help Steve pay his holiday bills by pushing up the post/hit counts before I spill on what I know and what I believe it means.

Besides, I'm back in the real world and actually have to um ... what do they call it? ... oh yeah ... work.

But there really is a lot there.

Oh, and before I forget, Small World will be going down for a major rehab early in 2010 with the major purpose being changing the queue (back?) to improve capacity and flow. This apparently was just decided on.

There's also strong talk of private hard ticket parties for Valentine's Day (something Disney actually did in the 1980s) as some at TDO believe it's the next big holiday season they can own/merchandise/SELL, SELL, SELL like Christmas and Halloween.

But neither has anything to do with the OP.

Interesting responses so far.

Interesting DLR has the same rumor back from early Nov. 2009.

http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/blog.php?b=565
Disneyland's HalloweenTime promotion has been so successful that park management is calculating what other holidays they can tie into for a quick attendance boost.

Decorations and more now mark Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter and Summertime. So the next big promotion? According to one source, "TDA (Team Disney Anaheim) managers are planning it to be Valentine’s Day. Expect to see hearts, lace, princesses, and all that fluff all over the resort next year. And it will be more elaborate the year after that."

My guess is that the holiday comes and goes too quickly to justify full-scale attraction makeovers, so don't expect The It's a Small World Tunnel of Love any time soon.

Christi22222

First of all, I'm loving everything I am reading! Such great energy in such great directions is - quite frankly - a relief!

What I am curious/confused by is this Valentine's Party 74 is mentioning. It's not such a bad idea, and I really like the after hours parties, (though not too many). But Pirates and Princesses is a theme that has been very successful in MANY ways for Disney as a company, has legs for any time of year, and still couldn't work as a hard ticket event. In fact, I loved that party and the fireworks were to die for. Some kinks could have been worked out - like the lame sort of trick or treating they had with the same booty at every station. But otherwise, it was good stuff. The kids had a blast! I'm curious what they would do with a V-day hard ticket event that makes them think it will work better. Hmmm.....

SirGoofy

Technology doesn't scare me (even if I just learned how to program my VCR when it is almost obsolete!) ... Disney used to lead the way on the tech curve and this can do that for them again IF it is done right.

Oh I know it could be great if done right.

And that's a big IF when they can't even decorate their parks for Christmas anymore.

Exactly.:brick:

But there are some amazing possibilities and having Jim riding herd on it is a VERY good thing! :xmas:

That's what puts me slightly at ease. As I said in the thread about his new position, I respect Jim more than any other Disney manager I've come in contact with. He really gets "it".

EPCOT Explorer

*Sigh*

RFID. Four little letters that strike fear into my heart.

Oh, ye of little faith....;)

You sound very positive about this. I find that to be a very good thing...Certainly hope that this is used ni upcoming projects, it would make them fantastic.
:D

The USA Pass is interesting too. Are they finally realizing that people on the east coast have found the west?:lookaroun:lol: Lewis and Clark all over again.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom