What do you collect from the parks?

WDWRLD

I always keep 5 copies of every park map or brochure I see. Ive got boxes and boxes of them. I figure one day they will be really cool to see how things were in the good ol days. Also I collect mugs, cups and popcorn buckets of which I have over a hundred. Ive got quite a few different antenna toppers too.

Ilovewishes

I collect Mickey teddies, I get a different one on each trip, and we collect the pins, we try to get for the year we are there, for the hotel we stayed in and one that signifies any events that happened whilst there - we got a wedding one for our honeymoon, a loved up one for our anniversary and the one of Mickey & Minnie sat on the bench with Pluto led behind them to commemorate getting a phone call from my mum letting us know that when we got back, we would have a puppy waiting for us!

DH collects keyrings, same thing as above - hotels, parks etc. He's got loads of them now! Luckily, he only puts a favourite one on his keys and the rest are just fastened together!

CommandoDisney

Original Poster
I have a follow up question for everyone. Are your collections on display or stored away somewhere?

One thing that has always kept me from collecting things is that I have terrible allergies and try to keep my dusting as easy as possible. I would love to collect some of the things mentioned such as shot glasses, snow globes or stuffed animals, but the idea of cleaning everything is overwhelming to me! I guess I tend to buy more every day items like t shirts than decor.

i have a shelf from ikea that i display my shotglasses on. it works pretty well except i am running out of room! i eventually would like to build a special case for all of them with lights and glass doors. i will admit they do collect dust pretty easily.

CommandoDisney

Original Poster
speaking of shotglasses, i was reading that the china pavillion in world showcase is selling glasses in honor of the olympics, with the mascot in diffierent poses representing the different events. if this is true, has anyone seen these?

Kerby626

speaking of shotglasses, i was reading that the china pavillion in world showcase is selling glasses in honor of the olympics, with the mascot in diffierent poses representing the different events. if this is true, has anyone seen these?

That is true. Unless the moved it the location of the merchandise is in the back of the store. I was down in Feb and bought a couple things. I bought a limited edition Pin set that was in a case. It is neat listening to the lady talk about the story behind the different animals they have on the merchandise. Def something to check out when you are there

Kerby626

I have a follow up question for everyone. Are your collections on display or stored away somewhere?

One thing that has always kept me from collecting things is that I have terrible allergies and try to keep my dusting as easy as possible. I would love to collect some of the things mentioned such as shot glasses, snow globes or stuffed animals, but the idea of cleaning everything is overwhelming to me! I guess I tend to buy more every day items like t shirts than decor.

I have several snowglobes & shot glasses from WDW. I have mine displayed in a curio cabinet. I bought it at IKEA but they can be found pretty much anywhere(a little more pricey than IKEA). I love my stuff from IKEA cause it seems to be the only thing that moving companies don't break when we are transfered from one duty station to another.

LuLaSue

DH and I collect pins, pins, and more pins. I also have a small snowglobe collection. Oddly, we collect the paper Mickey coasters from the hotel room. :lookaroun They do come in handy.

lpet11984

When I started reading this thread I didn't think I really collected anything except pins, but now I'm actually starting to figure out I must be an inadvertant collector...

As soon as I read the idea about "hidden mickeys" around the house, I thought "hey, that's a cool idea!" and then realized I probably already have that- I love Socerer Mickey (music teacher) and have a few collectables in my curio cabinate...have a mickey oven mit in the kitchen...mickey pens/paper in the office...and my mouse ears proudly displayed in my bedroom. I'm well on my way and didn't even know it! Maybe I'll have to find some subtle Mickey head things to help supplement my household collection... ;)

I also have a series of inexpensive things from around World Showcase...did this on my first trip to WDW in 2000. Anyone remember those models of SSE that you could get that would unscrew and you could keep things inside? They had them for the Millenium Celebration? I went around world showcase and bought a little item for each country that I could keep inside my SSE, and it was a ton of fun!

Usually end up inadvertantly collecting some of the pens from the resort I'm staying at, too.

I love getting a t-shirt or two, but I wouldn't say I collect them- if I like it, I'll get it, if not, I'll use the money for a few more dole whip floats.

And then of course, pins. I have a pin album that I leave in my coffee table and whenever I need a little magic, I flip through it. Always buy a few traders before the trip in the hopes of finding a few more pins that are unique to that specific vacation-- this next time, I want to finish getting all the Mickey Logo/flag pins from Epcot.

I really like the park map idea...somehow mine always end up getting messy/wrinkled along the way though. I'll have to try and pick up some clean ones on the way out of the park next time. I'm also looking forward to collecting a few blue glow cubes from the "glow-tini" this year ;)

mdjbenkert

We collect pins if it a special occiation, like New Years, Christmas. We bring home lots of stuff for scrapbooking, like napkins, fastpasses, park maps. We used to collect the resort mugs, but now a nice polo shirt from each that we have stayed. We have also started the big fig collections.

WDWRLD

I really like the park map idea...somehow mine always end up getting messy/wrinkled along the way though. I'll have to try and pick up some clean ones on the way out of the park next time. I'm also looking forward to collecting a few blue glow cubes from the "glow-tini" this year ;)

I usually end up getting a small bag somewhere along the way and on the way out of the park just get a few and stick them in the bag. If you try and hand carry them the ink always smudges. Mk always has tons just under the train station even well after the park closes. DHS has them at the round building in front of Sids and again the are there well after park closing. AK and EP seem to cover theirs earlier so dont wait till the last minute. But if you miss them you can always just get them from your hotel front desk although I have seen them there well over a week after they actually changet at the parks. I usually end up with roughly 10-15 diffrent ones each trip.

lpet11984

I usually end up getting a small bag somewhere along the way and on the way out of the park just get a few and stick them in the bag. If you try and hand carry them the ink always smudges. Mk always has tons just under the train station even well after the park closes. DHS has them at the round building in front of Sids and again the are there well after park closing. AK and EP seem to cover theirs earlier so dont wait till the last minute. But if you miss them you can always just get them from your hotel front desk although I have seen them there well over a week after they actually changet at the parks. I usually end up with roughly 10-15 diffrent ones each trip.

Good ideas! I'll definitely have to do this and stick the maps in with my pin album for those days I need a little more magic- thanks! :wave:

NewfieFan

I collect postcards in general so of course when I go to Disney I have to get some to add to my collection (but there is a serious lack of postcards in Disney, though)!

My son started collecting pressed pennies on our last trip and we will continue this in Sept....

My son also loved the Character Collector packs which contained three little figurines of either, characters, rides, icons, etc. They were around $5. My husband also bought the Star Wars Collector packs, they were the same but had Star Wars related characters, vehicles, etc. I can't believe nobody else mentioned these. My son loved them!!! Does anybody know if they are still making these? I only bought these in June so I assumed they were still available. A good friend of mine was traveling down this past January so I gave her some money to pick some up. I even gave her an empty package so she would know what she was looking for. They were sold everywhere when we were there so I told her just to get some in the resort giftshop. Anyways, she looked everywhere and couldn't find any. And if she said she looked everywhere she meant it - she's the type of person that would do anything for you!!! I do hope they haven't discontinued these little packs, my son will be so sad!:cry:

lpet11984

My son also loved the Character Collector packs which contained three little figurines of either, characters, rides, icons, etc. They were around $5. My husband also bought the Star Wars Collector packs, they were the same but had Star Wars related characters, vehicles, etc. I can't believe nobody else mentioned these. My son loved them!!! Does anybody know if they are still making these? I only bought these in June so I assumed they were still available. A good friend of mine was traveling down this past January so I gave her some money to pick some up. I even gave her an empty package so she would know what she was looking for. They were sold everywhere when we were there so I told her just to get some in the resort giftshop. Anyways, she looked everywhere and couldn't find any. And if she said she looked everywhere she meant it - she's the type of person that would do anything for you!!! I do hope they haven't discontinued these little packs, my son will be so sad!:cry:

I know they had them last July in Once Upon a Toy...a friend of mine collects them and we spent half an hour feeling around the packages in the hopes of finding Space Mountain. She lives down in FL- I'll have to ask her.

WildLodgeFan

That is true. Unless the moved it the location of the merchandise is in the back of the store. I was down in Feb and bought a couple things. I bought a limited edition Pin set that was in a case. It is neat listening to the lady talk about the story behind the different animals they have on the merchandise. Def something to check out when you are there

Way cool - besides Disney, I am a big fan of the Olympics. In fact at work by wallpaper is one of the mascots from this year's games. Unfortunately since we are going after the games, I'm afraid that merchandise will be gone when we get there.

Edeyore

I collect Disney characters. No, not pins, glasses or snow globes. All those characters you haven't seen for a while are all tied-up in my basement. Don't worry those I feed them well and occassionally allow them to pose for pictures. :lol:

a2grafix

Over the years, oh since the early 1980s, I have collected various things from Disneyworld. But the key things that stick out are napkins (I have a few from Eastern Airlines, WDW 15th birthday, etc.), park maps, plastic bags, Roger Rabbit / Jessica Rabbit pins, resort key cards, and Pleasure Island wristbands.

Why Eastern Arilines? Well, Eastern (If You Had Wings, corporate sponsor) used to be one of the official airlines of WDW back in the late 1970s and early 1980s. I have these cool cocktail napkins from Eastern flights with my mom and dad that have the old WDW logo on them.

Oh, I also have a handful of Contemporary Resort swizzle sticks. They are white with a "block A" contemporary logo on the top.

I also have a rare, if you would call it, "story book" about Merriweather Pleasure and how "Pleasure Island" came to be, in Disney lore. It's just a bunch of typed pages from circa 1987-88 in a folder. My dad used to be belong to a WDW council for businessmen. He would be invited to WDW to check out new things, be it new resorts going up, and being asked for his and my mother's input (colors, set coordination, amenities etc.) because my father would bring down his business for annual conventions.

NewfieFan

I know they had them last July in Once Upon a Toy...a friend of mine collects them and we spent half an hour feeling around the packages in the hopes of finding Space Mountain. She lives down in FL- I'll have to ask her.

:ROFLOL:
That's too funny... after buying a lot of the Collector Packs in our resort gift shop we discovered them at DTD as well in the Once Upon A Toy store... we did the same thing, feeling all the packs trying to find the Monorail for our son!:lol:

Thanks a lot by the way! If you do find anything out (or anybody else for that matter) let me know, thanks!:wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom