What did you do?

Mr mom

No time for long runs this week, I'm in the beautiful Annapolis valley for a conference and convention but I did put in a nice 8 miles this morning.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
ran my first half -- unoffically at 2:01:26 ... my tag time didnt work when i crossed the finish , but it picked me up at the 10 k mark.. and joel i ran the whole way .. :)
Now that is what Im talking about. Yes! That time for the Nashville course is really good. How did we like mile 2-6?
25+ miles through DC and Virginia with one of my TAC teammates and member of the US 24 hour ultra team.
8 min pace.

Time for some huge miles this week and then the taper.
I love destination runs. Nice job and Im glad you are having fun.

JillC LI

ran my first half -- unoffically at 2:01:26 ... my tag time didnt work when i crossed the finish , but it picked me up at the 10 k mark.. and joel i ran the whole way .. :)

Good for you! Congratulations!

Didn't run this weekend but I played about 2.5 hours of paddleball and raquetball with the family on Sunday. Highlight of the afternoon - coming from behind and beating DS13 in a singles raquetball game! LOL.

Oh, and on Saturday I went to an Arbor Day Festival with DD11 where, among many other things, we got to try riding a unicycle on specially designed training wheels for the first time! It was really fun although tough to turn without handlebars (you have to "whip the hip"!), but they said I was a natural. I was dying to try it without the training wheels, but they couldn't allow me in that setting due to liability reasons. However, I enjoyed it so much that I took their card and I am contemplating a private lesson!

diddy_mouse

Missed my run on Saturday due to the onset of a nasty head cold (which I'm still dealing with.) How do you guys deal with running and being under the weather? I hope this starts to subside because I really want to get in my run before my 6 mi hill run on Wed. #motivated

On the plus side I have found out that doing yoga/belly dancing has really worked for my cross-training days. (i.e. today :))

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
Missed my run on Saturday due to the onset of a nasty head cold (which I'm still dealing with.) How do you guys deal with running and being under the weather? I hope this starts to subside because I really want to get in my run before my 6 mi hill run on Wed. #motivated

On the plus side I have found out that doing yoga/belly dancing has really worked for my cross-training days. (i.e. today :))
The point of training is doing what you don't feel like doing, fighting through s___t, and working out the kinks.
You fight through a head cold. You can fight through some injuries amd certainly fight through the 'i just dont wanna.' It's not all going to be gum drops and moon pies, and accepting the good , bad and the ugly will project you forward. Never give up.

joel_maxwell

Im the wrong person to ask on this one. I am rarely sick, but if I am, I get my workout in anyway. Unless it is a stomach bug and I physically cant move or extremely high fever, the sniffles, aches, congestion, I dont feel good, stomach aches and sore throat etc go running with me.

I do have 2 kids that prevent a good night sleep most of the time (one of them is 2 and cutting teeth) so I am use to getting crappy sleep, falling back asleep while putting my gear on and as i have stated here before, standing in the doorway to my garage about to leave, trying to convince myself to go back in a go to bed, but the commitment I have made to reach my goal (whatever it is at that time) always wins.

The beauty of running through illness and other life's complications, is you never know what race day will bring. Race day comes and you dont feel 100%, you have a cold, upset stomach, or just not into it that day (see above list).... you have been there done that. Lets kick @ss.

Im not trying to sound arrogant, I just try to kick life's @ss everyday instead of the other way around. Anyone can do that!

Texas84

My attitude is, if you can breathe, run. You need the O2.

9 miles at an easy pace to get to the race location and then a 4 mile race at 8:45/mile. Only had about fifteen minutes of "rest" between the 9 miles and race to drop my bag off, stop at port a potties, and get into my corral. I had plans of filling up my water bottle but I found the only non-working fountain in Central Park so I had to stop at every water station during the race which is not usual for me in a race that short.

:eek: You're hardcore!

Mr mom

I have had some kind of cold for over a week, I only back off if I am worried about tearing something and even then I still run but take care not to push it and I will stop if I feel that pull that I don't want but as for a cold, I bring something to wipe my nose on.

bethram

I'll admit, I've been bad. It's been a combination of allergies or bronchitis (I can't tell which), rain, and lack of sleep that has kept me from running since Thursday. Usually I power through it and run anyway, but two or three things piling up will keep me from it. It also doesn't help any that I'm not currently registered for any race, and most likely my next several races will by 5Ks and not the long runs I've gotten used to.

I'm going into tonight with the positive attitude that I WILL get up and run in the morning and I WILL enjoy it :D

GoofyRacer11

I ran 12 miles yesterday morning in the metroparks in Berea. My dad and I finished 8 miles by 9:45am and the final 4 came during our Fun Run my brother, father, and I put together to help raise money for those affected in Boston. We had people who loved to run and/or wanted to support the cause come and join us for 3 miles. We don't know how much we made yet and we have more funds coming in this week. Every little bit helps.

imagination30

Now that is what Im talking about. Yes! That time for the Nashville course is really good. How did we like mile 2-6?
I love destination runs. Nice job and Im glad you are having fun.

miles 2-6 wasnt that bad , bc of the atmosphere and everything going on and being wet~ .. but i did remeber what you said about the hills coming up brodway! - hee

diddy_mouse

The point of training is doing what you don't feel like doing, fighting through s___t, and working out the kinks.
You fight through a head cold. You can fight through some injuries amd certainly fight through the 'i just dont wanna.' It's not all going to be gum drops and moon pies, and accepting the good , bad and the ugly will project you forward. Never give up.

Just what I needed to hear. Thanks for this.

bethram

I got my run in this morning!!! It felt good to be out and it was a great morning, 54 degrees and clear. 3.8 miles at 8:51 pace. I didn't enjoy all the post run coughing, but it to shall pass.

Kristia

Good for you! Congratulations!

Didn't run this weekend but I played about 2.5 hours of paddleball and raquetball with the family on Sunday. Highlight of the afternoon - coming from behind and beating DS13 in a singles raquetball game! LOL.

Oh, and on Saturday I went to an Arbor Day Festival with DD11 where, among many other things, we got to try riding a unicycle on specially designed training wheels for the first time! It was really fun although tough to turn without handlebars (you have to "whip the hip"!), but they said I was a natural. I was dying to try it without the training wheels, but they couldn't allow me in that setting due to liability reasons. However, I enjoyed it so much that I took their card and I am contemplating a private lesson!
That sounds like fun! I am pretty clumsy though so I don't think I would be very good at it!

dreamfinder

How do you guys deal with running and being under the weather?

You just need to get out there and do something. Odds are, you will perk up once you get going. Especially after you have been running for a while, your body just starts to crave it. Now depending on what it is you may need to modify. (I.E. if Nick broke his leg I'd wager he would change from a 25mi trail run to a 13mi trail run w/cast) Knee causing pain? Try something different. Switch surfaces you are running on, or try the bike or eliptical. Stuffy nose? Perfect time to suck it up and run. When I've gone to see my PCP about feeling like crud and told her I was heading out for a 13mi run on my way home as long as she cleared me, she actually told me that going for a run would be the best thing for me. Help to force your body to cycle through and process the crap and get it out sooner. You can always modify/adapt your workout to accommodate for most injuries. You may not get 100% of the benefits from a modified workout, but 50% is significantly better than the 0% you would have gotten if you sat and home and wallowed in self pity.

Today was a 38 min cross training bike day. Need to step it up a few smidges to match the output from the faster runs I'm doing, but I'm getting there.

I love runners, I know no one down here but this morning running I passed a few and you get that nod etc, that recognition of a brotherhood/sisterhood of folks who get it. 6.4 miles today

Ayup. Always a good sign.

JillC LI

Missed my run on Saturday due to the onset of a nasty head cold (which I'm still dealing with.) How do you guys deal with running and being under the weather?

You've received some tough love on this subject already so I'll take a different approach. I do run if I have a head cold or feel under the weather. I just slow the pace and get it done. I won't run through the flu or a serious upper respiratory infection that prevents me from breathing sufficiently. I do run through tiredness and soreness and minor injury but I won't run through serious injury. You really need to ask yourself if running through whatever you are experiencing will make you worse in the long run (no pun intended) or if you are trying to use it as an excuse to avoid a workout. Truth be told, I usually feel better after running with a head cold than I did originally. At the same time, if I have a choice of doing a workout today or tomorrow, and I think I might feel better tomorrow, then I might put it off a day. But I will not skip it altogether.

That sounds like fun! I am pretty clumsy though so I don't think I would be very good at it!

LOL, it had training wheels! If you can stay on a horse, you could do this. :)

As for me, 4.5 miles yesterday at 9:48 pace.

joel_maxwell

You've received some tough love on this subject already so I'll take a different approach. I do run if I have a head cold or feel under the weather. I just slow the pace and get it done. I won't run through the flu or a serious upper respiratory infection that prevents me from breathing sufficiently. I do run through tiredness and soreness and minor injury but I won't run through serious injury. You really need to ask yourself if running through whatever you are experiencing will make you worse in the long run (no pun intended) or if you are trying to use it as an excuse to avoid a workout. Truth be told, I usually feel better after running with a head cold than I did originally. At the same time, if I have a choice of doing a workout today or tomorrow, and I think I might feel better tomorrow, then I might put it off a day. But I will not skip it altogether.

LOL, it had training wheels! If you can stay on a horse, you could do this. :)

As for me, 4.5 miles yesterday at 9:48 pace.
who? From Nick and I.... naaaahhhhh :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom