What did you do?

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
I did a really interesting new speed workout this morning. I had read about it in Runners World magazine. The middle 21 minutes of my run were at the following speeds on the Treadmill, for one minute each:

6.0, 6.2, 6.4
6.1, 6.3, 6.5
6,2, 6.4, 6.6
6.3, 6.5, 6.7
6.4, 6.6, 6.8
6.5, 6.7, 6.9
6.6, 6.8, 7.0

I think it's called a progressive incremental run or something like that. The point is to start our at an easy pace and increase it slightly before dropping down and increasing again, but by the end of the run, your "slow" pace is significantly faster than you started out.

I found it enjoyable actually - something new. I think I could even start slightly faster next time.
I forgot to comment on this Jill. Nice speed and interesting workout. A positive incremental. I bet it is a nice change and shock to your system.

Mr mom

7 miles, starting to feel like myself, sort of. Loved Nick's post, so true. I have a question though I had an online calculator I used to use for calorie burn vs distance run etc and weight. At 141 and 10.3 km it would say I burned 592 cal but this new one is saying 713. One is obviously way off but which one?

imagination30

a very cold , but beautfil run this morning ... during mile 2 my leags felt like i was on top of the world , i hit , my stide when jonas bro. fly with me came on my ipod.. ( dont hate) .. i felt so great i ended up doing 12.46 today.. i killed it!.. i wond up doing a full loop from my house around the middle school , around walmart and crackerbarrel and back and it took me 1:55:29 , with a 9:15 pace

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
I love this Nick and is the essence of trying to push yourself to reach that next goal. Whatever it is. This can be applied in any aspect of life.

Double "Like" on this one.
Yeah, I was thinking alot lately on my training runs because someone was asking me about my drive and why do I push myself with the odds stacked against me. Then they ed me off because they were asking what gear and training plans would get them to finish a marathon the easiest way. If you think there is a specific piece of gear, or shoes, or watch or some general bs training plan that will make it easier, yo should just go sit back down on the couch and give up. The TRUE accomplishment is finishing or failing knowing you worked your off on your own terms, with your own emotional grit, not seeking the path of least resistance to get a damn medal.

joel_maxwell

a very cold , but beautfil run this morning ... during mile 2 my leags felt like i was on top of the world , i hit , my stide when jonas bro. fly with me came on my ipod.. ( dont hate) .. i felt so great i ended up doing 12.46 today.. i killed it!.. i wond up doing a full loop from my house around the middle school , around walmart and crackerbarrel and back and it took me 1:55:29 , with a 9:15 pace
I love that feeling. Nice job.

Yeah, I was thinking alot lately on my training runs because someone was asking me about my drive and why do I push myself with the odds stacked against me. Then they ed me off because they were asking what gear and training plans would get them to finish a marathon the easiest way. If you think there is a specific piece of gear, or shoes, or watch or some general bs training plan that will make it easier, yo should just go sit back down on the couch and give up. The TRUE accomplishment is finishing or failing knowing you worked your off on your own terms, with your own emotional grit, not seeking the path of least resistance to get a damn medal.
A lady sitting in the front yard of her house the other day watched me run by and I always wave to her. That day, it was the sub 30 weather with high winds and some sleet and mild snow dusting. She said, "Boy, you must be really dedicated." I just laughed and said, "You gotta get your run in" but we all know its more than that. We all set a goal and we dont let anything get in the way of preparing the best we can to reach it. To me at least, going into an event or a new venture unprepared, is scarier than failing to me. Most likely, being unprepared will be humiliating and it will aid in your failure. They go hand in hand in my book.

There are some freaky things that happen on race day, that NEVER happen during training runs/swims/bikes etc. The majority of the time, preparation, meets hard work and determination = success.

Mr mom

I love that feeling. Nice job.

A lady sitting in the front yard of her house the other day watched me run by and I always wave to her. That day, it was the sub 30 weather with high winds and some sleet and mild snow dusting. She said, "Boy, you must be really dedicated." I just laughed and said, "You gotta get your run in" but we all know its more than that. We all set a goal and we dont let anything get in the way of preparing the best we can to reach it. To me at least, going into an event or a new venture unprepared, is scarier than failing to me. Most likely, being unprepared will be humiliating and it will aid in your failure. They go hand in hand in my book.

There are some freaky things that happen on race day, that NEVER happen during training runs/swims/bikes etc. The majority of the time, preparation, meets hard work and determination = success.

I remember when I first started how much pain was involved, how hard it was and how much I hated it all, then as time went on I came to love it and rejoice in each new mile I had run. Unlike many I had no goal other than to not get winded walking down a street and to lose weight. I have still never run a race, as it was never a desire. I think I will eventually but for me this has all been very personal in nature. 3 years on and I am thriving and it feels easier but yet every new distance and new time is just as hard to achieve as the first mile was, the difference I think is that mentally and physically I expect it to be. The one joy of this is that there never really is a finish line, only a line for today because tomorrow the line moves again and there is always a new distance and time to strive for. I think it is that never ending challenge that spurs me. Under such circumstances how could there ever be an easy way to achieve success.

bethram

I'm not running a marathon or even a half next weekend like most of you, but I am running a 15K. This morning I ran 9.5 miles in 1:32, 9:40 pace. I usually run my whole route, but today I had to walk about 0.2 mi on the long hill back into my neighborhood but I didn't include it in my time or distance.

I'm planning on three easy runs about 3 to 3.5 miles each this week with a rest day the day before the big race.

Kristia

I'm not running a marathon or even a half next weekend like most of you, but I am running a 15K. This morning I ran 9.5 miles in 1:32, 9:40 pace. I usually run my whole route, but today I had to walk about 0.2 mi on the long hill back into my neighborhood but I didn't include it in my time or distance.

I'm planning on three easy runs about 3 to 3.5 miles each this week with a rest day the day before the big race.
Good luck!

Kristia

just got back from a 3 miler. 3 miles in 30 minutes. My goal is to be able to run 6-7 miles comfortably before the princess 1/2 marathon. I can't believe it's 49 days away! I also have a 10k on 2/2 which I thought would be great practice.

I know 3 miles straight might be a walk in the park for most of you lol but long story short I did the princess 1/2 marathon in 2012- first race of any kind and no training. yikes. I did it for my father in law that has cancer. It was painful. there were almost tears..in fact there were tears of happiness at the finish because I thought I was going to get swept at the 8th mile. The balloons were right behind me. My time was around 4 hours.

That day changed everything for me. I thank that race and running for bringing me to reality. I was 130 lbs in highschool and last year at 23 I was pushing 200 lbs from lack of exercise and an unhealthy diet. I started to run and when I started I could not even run .01 miles and as of today I can run 3 straight. It feels amazing. I have atshma and i'm overweight but I do not want either of those factors to stop me. I am so excited to see how far I can go with running. I always thought " I could never do that " when I saw people run and now I am doing it!

I did two 5ks, a 1/2 marathon, and a 10 k in 2012. I can't wait to see what I accomplish in 2013!

Sorry that story was not really short, but I had to share my excitement and motivation that I feel! :D
Great story! Keep up the great work and you won't be sorry! :)

Texas84

Last run before Marathon. Stopped the Garmin at 6.2 but probably did 6.5. Nice steady 11:30 pace with mile breaks. Perfect conditions, 45F and overcast. But I don't remember all this wind when I was training for last year's Marathon. I'm a little concerned about the temps in Orlando next week.

Two hard boiled eggs and an Ito En unsweetened green tea and it's off to the shower. Later, treat myself to a McD's grilled chicken sandwich. No red meat this week.

GoofyRacer11

Ran 10 miles this morning as my last long run before the Goofy Challenge next weekend. I'll be going to CrossFit tomorrow as I always do to maintain my strength. Know I'm about to test out my award winning chili to get ready to defend my title in 2 weeks!

a2grafix

Took in a beautiful Sunday early afternoon in Downtown Memphis and along the Mighty Mississip, not a cloud in the sky, temps 46-50, no wind. Ran 6.75 miles, tad past a 10K, in a little over 65 minutes, maybe 70. Dunno, my iPod SanDisk was low on juice and I only got 20 min or so of music. Handful of walkers, dog walkers, and joggers out. Stopped a few times to take in the sights, water breaks.

Just need to make sure I have another 6.75 or so in the tank because I'm testing myself. I'm going to run the Louisiana Half Marathon on Jan. 20. I have not run more than 6.75 miles since I ran the Tower of Terror 10 miler at WDW in late September 2012.

AUPr8Hd

I had a great 9 miler this morning. Temps were in the mid-40s or so. I probably won't do any CF workout this week just to make sure legs are "fresh" for Goofy. Hard to believe it's less than a week away

Current weather predictions for Marathon weekend are a little daunting. But, not much you can do about those other than run, run, run and hydrate.

imagination30

a beautiful sunset / dusk run , but kinda chilly but not to much.. , my legs felt kinda heavy today for som reason... , but i managed.. it threw my timing and rhyam off a little .. but i did 5.44 at 8:43 pace..

Mr mom

10.5 miles on crappy sidewalks, covered with packed snow and ice, ugh. The extra effort makes it worth it more I guess. Also did 2/3 of my normal workout, slowly getting my stride back. Joy of joys an hour moving wood and shovelling snow to top the day off.

joel_maxwell

4.25 miles this morning. It was around 30, so I ran at a 8:00 pace to keep a little extra warm.

Happy Monday. Getting ready to watch a little football game tonight.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom