What did you do?

LindsayLoves

I dont ind the cold, it is the wind that will make you question life at times. Just kicks you in the gut (and other places).

I think i have found a trend. I only wear my tights if it below 30 and we will have a wind chill (like this past Sunday). I just dont think my IT bands, as of right now, can take that cold for an extended long run (16 miles or so). They consistently only act up when i wear my tights. Working on them now to get them stronger and more flexible. I wish I could say it is the tights and problem solved, but I know it is the cold temps.

I love running in shorts but my IT bands are totally against that idea under 40 degrees which seems super pathetic to me. Even with tights on I have some issues but it is WAY worse if I try to tough it out in 30 degree temps with shorts.

Kristia

I finally got a run in, it was a windy 10 degrees with a wind chill of -9. It felt like I was running with a block of ice against my face. I also think I left one of my lungs on the route but I did 6.4 miles. It still felt good to run again, finally. My lungs are still pretty full though.
Glad you were able to get back in the game! The cold is killing me here too but if you have 10 degrees + a wind chill, then I really have nothing to complain about! :eek:

Mr mom

I love running in shorts but my IT bands are totally against that idea under 40 degrees which seems super pathetic to me. Even with tights on I have some issues but it is WAY worse if I try to tough it out in 30 degree temps with shorts.

Yeah I go shorts until sub 30 but after that it is warm up pants instead of tights etc. They breath better and with the wind guards in them they keep me warmer. the cold temps have not really gotten here yet. when they do it is ski mask and long johns, even today I put on a partial mask that covers my ears. I had bad frostbite on them a year or so ago after about a 2 hour run, so won't go uncovered again.

Mr mom

Glad you were able to get back in the game! The cold is killing me here too but if you have 10 degrees + a wind chill, then I really have nothing to complain about! :eek:

It has been weird really... cold today but last week mid fifties. strange winter

dreamfinder

Today was my last cross training day prior to the Marathon. A measly 32 mins on the bike. Felt like I wasn't doing anything.

I don't know what an IT band is and I don't want to know. :)

Muscle that runs from basically your pelvis, down and around your knee on the outside of your thigh. Often times causes pain in and around the knee area due to over use, not enough flexibility, or not enough hip/knee strength. Usually can be treated through improved flexibility and strengthening of the hip/knee area. Foam rollers work well for this.......

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
I don't know what an IT band is and I don't want to know. :)
You will know if it ever visits you. Pain on the outside of the knee and then weakness. Almost like your knee is giving out.
Today was my last cross training day prior to the Marathon. A measly 32 mins on the bike. Felt like I wasn't doing anything.

Muscle that runs from basically your pelvis, down and around your knee on the outside of your thigh. Often times causes pain in and around the knee area due to over use, not enough flexibility, or not enough hip/knee strength. Usually can be treated through improved flexibility and strengthening of the hip/knee area. Foam rollers work well for this.......
Dont you kind of love that though? You get so in shape that what started out as schooling you, now you just feel underwhelmed to even do that distance.

They are a god send. I got slack the last 2 months on mine, this past Sunday had some major IT band issues at 13. Foam rolled like crazy and stretched the first part of the week and did 5.5 yesterday and 8.30 this morning with no problems.

joel_maxwell

8.30 miles this morning. Nothing to exciting except that a house alarm went off in the neighborhood across the street from mine. First, I was puzzled why someone would have an alarm in that neighborhood (they should try living where I use to and they would realize they were super safe in retrospect) and second, I figured that at 6am, I bet everyone LOVED that going off for about 60 seconds.

AUPr8Hd

Hard to believe Marathon weekend begins in 7 days. :eek:

CF workout last night had 800m sprints included. I forgot how tough those can be when throwing in a lift component between

Only 4 miles on tap for this evening.

Texas84

You will know if it ever visits you. Pain on the outside of the knee and then weakness. Almost like your knee is giving out.
Oh, is that what that was? It went away. :D Seriously, I had the weak/giving out feeling last year in my right knee but not much pain. Just felt like the knee was going to cave. If I wrapped it I was OK. Was that IT band?

Got up at 0530 for 3 cold miles in the rain. Nice. I'm still cold.

SulleyanBoo

just got back from a 3 miler. 3 miles in 30 minutes. My goal is to be able to run 6-7 miles comfortably before the princess 1/2 marathon. I can't believe it's 49 days away! I also have a 10k on 2/2 which I thought would be great practice.

I know 3 miles straight might be a walk in the park for most of you lol but long story short I did the princess 1/2 marathon in 2012- first race of any kind and no training. yikes. I did it for my father in law that has cancer. It was painful. there were almost tears..in fact there were tears of happiness at the finish because I thought I was going to get swept at the 8th mile. The balloons were right behind me. My time was around 4 hours.

That day changed everything for me. I thank that race and running for bringing me to reality. I was 130 lbs in highschool and last year at 23 I was pushing 200 lbs from lack of exercise and an unhealthy diet. I started to run and when I started I could not even run .01 miles and as of today I can run 3 straight. It feels amazing. I have atshma and i'm overweight but I do not want either of those factors to stop me. I am so excited to see how far I can go with running. I always thought " I could never do that " when I saw people run and now I am doing it!

I did two 5ks, a 1/2 marathon, and a 10 k in 2012. I can't wait to see what I accomplish in 2013!

Sorry that story was not really short, but I had to share my excitement and motivation that I feel! :D

JillC LI

just got back from a 3 miler. 3 miles in 30 minutes. My goal is to be able to run 6-7 miles comfortably before the princess 1/2 marathon. I can't believe it's 49 days away! I also have a 10k on 2/2 which I thought would be great practice.

I know 3 miles straight might be a walk in the park for most of you lol but long story short I did the princess 1/2 marathon in 2012- first race of any kind and no training. yikes. I did it for my father in law that has cancer. It was painful. there were almost tears..in fact there were tears of happiness at the finish because I thought I was going to get swept at the 8th mile. The balloons were right behind me. My time was around 4 hours.

That day changed everything for me. I thank that race and running for bringing me to reality. I was 130 lbs in highschool and last year at 23 I was pushing 200 lbs from lack of exercise and an unhealthy diet. I started to run and when I started I could not even run .01 miles and as of today I can run 3 straight. It feels amazing. I have atshma and i'm overweight but I do not want either of those factors to stop me. I am so excited to see how far I can go with running. I always thought " I could never do that " when I saw people run and now I am doing it!

I did two 5ks, a 1/2 marathon, and a 10 k in 2012. I can't wait to see what I accomplish in 2013!

Sorry that story was not really short, but I had to share my excitement and motivation that I feel! :D

I love your story. We all have stories about what motivated us to begin running. Whatever it took, good for you! Keep up the good work.

JillC LI

I did a really interesting new speed workout this morning. I had read about it in Runners World magazine. The middle 21 minutes of my run were at the following speeds on the Treadmill, for one minute each:

6.0, 6.2, 6.4
6.1, 6.3, 6.5
6,2, 6.4, 6.6
6.3, 6.5, 6.7
6.4, 6.6, 6.8
6.5, 6.7, 6.9
6.6, 6.8, 7.0

I think it's called a progressive incremental run or something like that. The point is to start our at an easy pace and increase it slightly before dropping down and increasing again, but by the end of the run, your "slow" pace is significantly faster than you started out.

I found it enjoyable actually - something new. I think I could even start slightly faster next time.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
Legs trashed. 25milers everday this week on trails.

Shooting for some back to back 30 milers before Goofy next week...yeah, that's my taper :D

Run hard and see you all soon!

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
We ultra-distance runners will put aside fear and pain and run anything, but one word strikes fear and nausea into all of us: Barkley. You can google it if you like, but it's cloaked in mystery.
Anyway, my point is, there is a quote I've been reciting from the Barkley RD while I've been preparing for m 500 mile run:
"If you are going to face a challenge it has to be a real challenge. You can't accomplish anything without the possibility of failure."
And so, this is what I've been training for: destroying my body and mentally torturing myself, knowing full well that my chances of failing are GREAT. It would be awesome to bring home that 500 mile buckle, and I'm kicking my as hard as I can to make it so. But in the end, it's not about an ultra buckle or a medal, it's knowing that you got off your and tried.
Best of luck to everyone going down next week and I hope to see you there!

Kristia

Been taking it a bit easy this week. Did 3 miles on Wed and 3 miles yesterday. Came home last night to a down furnace. Service guy said it is done. :(:mad: I am going to need some of that Florida warmth next week! I am hoping for coolish running weather but warmth the rest of the time!!

joel_maxwell

We ultra-distance runners will put aside fear and pain and run anything, but one word strikes fear and nausea into all of us: Barkley. You can google it if you like, but it's cloaked in mystery.
Anyway, my point is, there is a quote I've been reciting from the Barkley RD while I've been preparing for m 500 mile run:
"If you are going to face a challenge it has to be a real challenge. You can't accomplish anything without the possibility of failure."
And so, this is what I've been training for: destroying my body and mentally torturing myself, knowing full well that my chances of failing are GREAT. It would be awesome to bring home that 500 mile buckle, and I'm kicking my as hard as I can to make it so. But in the end, it's not about an ultra buckle or a medal, it's knowing that you got off your and tried.
Best of luck to everyone going down next week and I hope to see you there!
I love this Nick and is the essence of trying to push yourself to reach that next goal. Whatever it is. This can be applied in any aspect of life.

Double "Like" on this one.

joel_maxwell

28 down and backs today in the pool (1400 yards). Really working hard and it has paid off. Looking back, what took me an hour 3 months ago, now takes me 10-15 minutes, and then I triple that without getting winded in under and hour. Some of the people I talked to at the pool laughed when i said I was watching youtube videos on lunch to teach myself proper technique, since I cant afford a personal Tri/Swim coach like they can, so I get a little bit of satisfaction seeing results. I think it will mean a whole lot more when I finish that leg of the swimming part.

When I started preparing for my Tri's in spring, I never thought Id get to a point so quickly that I could probably skip the first one or two events since i do triple the distance now and I have 4 more months to train. I will probably still do them for the experience of the transitions etc. They are great starter Tri's and I know Ill learn more than I think.

Happy Friday.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom