What did you do?

JillC LI

Yeah, I was thinking alot lately on my training runs because someone was asking me about my drive and why do I push myself with the odds stacked against me. Then they ed me off because they were asking what gear and training plans would get them to finish a marathon the easiest way. If you think there is a specific piece of gear, or shoes, or watch or some general bs training plan that will make it easier, yo should just go sit back down on the couch and give up. The TRUE accomplishment is finishing or failing knowing you worked your off on your own terms, with your own emotional grit, not seeking the path of least resistance to get a damn medal.

Nick, I agree with you that the success is in the trying. In the hard work. In the setting a goal and busting your to achieve it. That said, I hope you will cut this person a bit of slack when it comes to the questions about the best training plans and gear to finish a marathon. I searched hard for a marathon training plan that would suit my abilities and my time commitment. I tested out different types of shoes and clothing. Even you are always working on your gear system to make it the most efficient it can be. With all due respect, I think that this person's desire to try to complete a marathon should be looked at as nobly as anyone's, and their desire to make what is an extraordinarily difficult feat for most people a tad more doable shouldn't diminsh it. Know what I mean?

Anyway, as for me, I did 8 miles yesterday morning. Tried to keep it under 10 minute pace but wound up averaging 10:04 min/mile. Oh well. Still felt like a good run.

SulleyanBoo

6.3 on a beautiful Saturday morning 1/5. temp was about 70-75. I must say I feel extremely bad adding the temp to this post due to all of you that have to run in the freezing cold.
How do you do it?!

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
is it hard to breathe or do ya'll just get used to it?
Everyone here knows I prefer 30's to run in. Colder the better. This morning it was 30 and I wore a long sleeve compression and a loose long sleeve tech shirt, shorts, gloves and was sweating.

Breathing? Holy cow, LOL, I love cold weather O2 rather than fighting for it in Alabama summers and the heat. So much easier to breathe in winter. My lungs never "burn" like other people says theirs do. Unless, Im use to it. Even at 70 degrees here, it is laborish when the humidity is up (which is spring to fall most years).

SulleyanBoo

Everyone here knows I prefer 30's to run in. Colder the better. This morning it was 30 and I wore a long sleeve compression and a loose long sleeve tech shirt, shorts, gloves and was sweating.

Breathing? Holy cow, LOL, I love cold weather O2 rather than fighting for it in Alabama summers and the heat. So much easier to breathe in winter. My lungs never "burn" like other people says theirs do. Unless, Im use to it. Even at 70 degrees here, it is laborish when the humidity is up (which is spring to fall most years).
interesting! I find my lungs to burn while running too. I have asthma too so I'm thinking that might play a factor. But, I would definitely prefer a cooler day or even a cold day to any summer day here in FL. It gets excruciating.

Fievel

RunDisney Addict

I'm the same way.....I set my 1/2 Marathon PR in 40 degrees and rain. I was pretty miserable the whole time, but I was able to breathe, which helped greatly.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
Nick, I agree with you that the success is in the trying. In the hard work. In the setting a goal and busting your to achieve it. That said, I hope you will cut this person a bit of slack when it comes to the questions about the best training plans and gear to finish a marathon. I searched hard for a marathon training plan that would suit my abilities and my time commitment. I tested out different types of shoes and clothing. Even you are always working on your gear system to make it the most efficient it can be. With all due respect, I think that this person's desire to try to complete a marathon should be looked at as nobly as anyone's, and their desire to make what is an extraordinarily difficult feat for most people a tad more doable shouldn't diminsh it. Know what I mean?

Anyway, as for me, I did 8 miles yesterday morning. Tried to keep it under 10 minute pace but wound up averaging 10:04 min/mile. Oh well. Still felt like a good run.
Agreed. But, I should've stressed how much this person always wants to find the easy way. They like other people to do the work for them. That's what gets me fired up, not the asking of quesrions. I should have explained that better.

Texas84

Really? So far it has only been cold enough for me to run with a tek shirt and and running shell. Down below just my boxers and warm up pants. I do wear winter gloves and my toque.
It's warming up now but it's been freaking COLD here in Georgia at 0600 the last few weeks. High 20's, low 30's. Cold for us southerners. If it gets in the 20's I put on the Nike combat top & bottom plus Drifit pants and two long sleeve tech shirts. 30's, shorts and one long sleeve tech over the Combats. And gloves. My hands get cold even in the 50's.

I like 40's myself. But no cold weather burning here either. Surprised me when I did my first real cold weather run, half marathon, low 20's at start. Air just seems fresh and clean.

Oh, what did I do today? Nothing. :D

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
Trails and more trails. Lots of hills and climbing steep ascents.

20+ everyday, back to backs.

New gear arrived, so I'll be putting together my new vest/pack after Goofy. Same configuration, different companies.

Taper?? What taper??

Kristia

Haven't been doing much here...Ahhhh! With the furnace down, as soon as I get home I try to get a fire going in the fireplace. I am not too keen on leaving the house with a fire going. We've had two houses in the last month burn down too close to my house. Not sure on the causes but it makes me nervous. Having it replaced on Wed just in time to leave on Thursday. Looking forward to some Florida warmth although I am hoping it won't be too warm for the races!

Mr mom

30's is cold for you, for me that would be cooler temps. Today it was about 7 degrees and -7 with the wind chill and while I find it cold, ie my face gets frost on it, it is not as cold as it can get. Below 0 is when you really struggle breathing wise. The temps you like to run in are indeed optimal in terms of air as it is so much better but below a certain temp, really cold ie below zero, it can burn and be a real struggle to get your air. Any way not a bad day for me, 13.8 miles and a lot of ice to scrape off my beard,lol.

Mr mom

is it hard to breathe or do ya'll just get used to it?

Has to get really cold to be hard to breathe, some days in feb can get like that, my breathe freezes to my skin etc. really have to watch frostbite and keep as much skin covered as possible, my extremities can get numb on a longer run. But we are talking about running with temps below zero without wind chill, not what I am running in right now.

joel_maxwell

30's is cold for you, for me that would be cooler temps. Today it was about 7 degrees and -7 with the wind chill and while I find it cold, ie my face gets frost on it, it is not as cold as it can get. Below 0 is when you really struggle breathing wise. The temps you like to run in are indeed optimal in terms of air as it is so much better but below a certain temp, really cold ie below zero, it can burn and be a real struggle to get your air. Any way not a bad day for me, 13.8 miles and a lot of ice to scrape off my beard,lol.
Ok, Ill say cold for Alabama. :D

Your cold is a deal breaker for outside running. Well, I can say that. I havent ever tried it.

I'm the same way.....I set my 1/2 Marathon PR in 40 degrees and rain. I was pretty miserable the whole time, but I was able to breathe, which helped greatly.
My half PR was actually during a upper 40's into low 50's kind of day. Im not sure how that didnt play a factor and slow me slightly, but that was in the last 2 weeks of a full schedule were I had trained way to fast pace wise for a full, and benefited me in the half. It was all about speed back then. Looking back, Im still amazed at the speed that day for 13.1

Now, Im a little slower and handed over the speedster title to Steve, and I go for longer & longer distances now much more frequent.

joel_maxwell

Brick workout today

15 Down and Backs in the pool (750 yards) and 10 miles at 16mph in gear 6 on the bike trainer.

Happy Tuesday. A little hungover (just tired) from staying up too late watching the game, or should I say beat down.

JillC LI

Agreed. But, I should've stressed how much this person always wants to find the easy way. They like other people to do the work for them. That's what gets me fired up, not the asking of quesrions. I should have explained that better.

Yes, I do not know anything about this person that you mentioned, so I cannot comment on anything but what you posted. If s/he is just all around lazy, then that's another story. There's no lazy way to complete a marathon!

As for me, 4 miles yesterday at 9:48 pace on TM. Didn't feel like bundling up to go outside.

So when is everyone flying out for the big day(s)?

Kristia

Yes, I do not know anything about this person that you mentioned, so I cannot comment on anything but what you posted. If s/he is just all around lazy, then that's another story. There's no lazy way to complete a marathon!

As for me, 4 miles yesterday at 9:48 pace on TM. Didn't feel like bundling up to go outside.

So when is everyone flying out for the big day(s)?
We fly out Thursday super-duper early! Our plane leaves at 6:30 am from Philly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom