What did you do?

fmingo36

My wife and I ran the Madison, WI 1/2 Marathon.

They called off the full marathon on Friday due to dangerous predicted temperatures (mid 90's).

We decided that this was going to be a race that was about just finishing. At the 7:00 am, gun, we got off to a good start, as the first part of the course was downhill from the grounds of the Wisconsin Capital square.

By mile 3, you could really feel the humidity. Going through the first water station was a disaster. They did not have cups ready for the runners, and everybody that wanted water or gatorade had to wait. Adding insult to injury was the fact that they were using plastic cups, which my wife slipped and fell into the water table on when she approached it.

On a side note, there were some frat boys running a beer and bacon stand right next to it, and they were more than ready for anybody that wanted it.

We continued a good pace until about mile 5.5, when the heat really started to ramp up. I was dripping sweat, and mile 6-7 seemed to take forever. I was really uncomfortable. At mile 7, I downed a GU at the water stand and felt a better for awhile.

We continued up and down what seemed like endless hills. When we weren't doing hills, the roads we were on were severely pitched, causing hell on my ankles.

I powered through to mile 9, where we left the residential neighborhood, and headed out onto a 4 lane road that crosses between 2 big lakes. I thought that being between the lakes would be nice because of the breeze.

I was wrong.

That road decided to mercilessly beat me down physically and mentally. There was no shade, and it seemed to go on forever. To make matters worse, it was an out and back. I had to do it twice.

We finally got done with that stretch of road at about mile 12.5, and headed straight uphill back to the capital square.

To my surprise, we managed to finish strong and my wife scored a PR 2:48:48. It was almost 20 minutes slower than my last 1/2 Marathon, but then again, the course and conditions were much different.

When people asked how it was I have been telling them "You know how you go outside on a hot day, and the sun and heat just take it out of you? Yeah - I ran 13 miles in that."

Congrats Brad & Rebecca!:sohappy:
Boy-you are gonna need a new room for all those medals pretty soon!

If we all go out, Jill will be the one who gets trashed and picking fights with strangers :wave:

It's always the one you least suspect! :lol:

Anyway, back to back 20-25 milers everyday since last week. Haven't been on a 30mi in a while. Maybe this week.

It's super hot out. I'm emptying all three 750ml bottles by mile 13. Stopping on the boardwalk to buy more.

Run strong folks.
It's crazy hot so be careful out there. Summer temps came too soon for us NJ runners!

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
Back from a nice long weekend in Stowe, Vermont with the family. It was a great time except for my vehicle broke down on the way home and the $500 car repair bill that came with that. :mad:

Thursday-a quick 2.5 miles before packing up the car
Friday-a 7 hr. drive. My body was in no mood to do anything but sit in the hot tub---Ahhhhhhhh
Saturday-I did 1/500th of Nick's Vermont Run. (Well actually 6 miles.) Found a wonderful walk/bike trail near the condo we stayed at. I ran with my hubby and let's just say he has a much faster pace than me. Ran the first 3 miles in a 9:19 minute mile. (No wonder I could feel my heart coming out of my chest). Slowed it down a bit on the way back; 3 miles at a 10:25 pace.
It really is beautiful up there.
And more hot tubbing too!
Sunday-toured the Vermont Teddy Bear Co. and Ben & Jerry's factorys. And yes, samples were tasted (at Ben & Jerry's not the Vermont Teddy Bear Co. :lol:
Monday-back in the car and issues with the car. BLAH!
Today-got home and went straight to the gym. 3 miles on the treadmill, 13 miles on the bike and 1/2 hr. core.

Hope everyone is doing well with there training. :wave:

I saw your FB post. Sorry about the car. Glad you're back safely. I've driven past the B&J before...perhaps I'll run past it one day :D When you crew for my 500, I'm going to need you to do a B&J pick up order!

dreamfinder

I saw your FB post. Sorry about the car. Glad you're back safely. I've driven past the B&J before...perhaps I'll run past it one day :D When you crew for my 500, I'm going to need you to do a B&J pick up order!

I'd say if you are having a crew grabbing food from there, then they might as well swing by The Alchemist and pick you up a 4 pack (or case) of Heady Topper. Real solid stuff. It's like 1/4 mi before the factory.

Chubby Hubby or Chunky Monkey?

After a 500miler I'd wager he could do a full on Vermonster. The calories would be appreciated that's for sure.

fmingo36

I'd say if you are having a crew grabbing food from there, then they might as well swing by The Alchemist and pick you up a 4 pack (or case) of Heady Topper. Real solid stuff. It's like 1/4 mi before the factory.

After a 500miler I'd wager he could do a full on Vermonster. The calories would be appreciated that's for sure.

How did I miss that??? :confused:

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Back from a nice long weekend in Stowe, Vermont with the family. It was a great time except for my vehicle broke down on the way home and the $500 car repair bill that came with that. :mad:

Friday-a 7 hr. drive. My body was in no mood to do anything but sit in the hot tub---Ahhhhhhhh
Saturday-I did 1/500th of Nick's Vermont Run. (Well actually 6 miles.) Found a wonderful walk/bike trail near the condo we stayed at. I ran with my hubby and let's just say he has a much faster pace than me. Ran the first 3 miles in a 9:19 minute mile. (No wonder I could feel my heart coming out of my chest). Slowed it down a bit on the way back; 3 miles at a 10:25 pace.
Sunday-toured the Vermont Teddy Bear Co. and Ben & Jerry's factorys. And yes, samples were tasted (at Ben & Jerry's not the Vermont Teddy Bear Co. :lol:
Today-got home and went straight to the gym. 3 miles on the treadmill, 13 miles on the bike and 1/2 hr. core.

:lol: Nice.

Sorry about the car.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer

You read my mind about the brew...

JillC LI

If we all go out, Jill will be the one who gets trashed and picking fights with strangers :wave:

Now you're talkin'! :ROFLOL:

Trip sounds great, except for the car, especially the non-teddy bear tasting! Nice 3 mile pace there!

Still trying to survive the 100 degree temps in my house until tomorrow. It's hard to motivate to run in the heat when you know there will be no place to put your feet up and cool off afterwards. And Joel, you're right, sleep has been very difficult for the whole family for the past 2 weeks. We're managing with open windows and blasting fans, but the kids have to sleep downstairs with us in the guest room because the heat on the second floor feels truly life-threatening and non-breathable.

Texas84

They put me in Corral B for F&W last year. Obviously a mistake so I put myself back to C.

3 miles this AM. Funny how I run better on less sleep. 1:30 faster than my goal. And 96% humidity. YEAH!!! :hammer:

fmingo36

At Goofy Challenge, you need to wear the RR costume and I'll sport a Wyle E. Coyote one. F-----g hilarious.

Oh...My...GOD! How funny would that be!
You could wear a fake ACME dynomite pack attached to you frankenvest.
Seriously, I cracking up just thinking about it!!!

fmingo36

They put me in Corral B for F&W last year. Obviously a mistake so I put myself back to C.

3 miles this AM. Funny how I run better on less sleep. 1:30 faster than my goal. And 96% humidity. YEAH!!! :hammer:

So glad I live up North.
I really don't know how you Southerns can train in the summer months.
I'll take the snow and cold anyday over that kind of heat and humidity. PROPS to you!

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Once you're healed, you'll be doing Boston.

Then you'll slow down and do my IBU 100 miler...
You are bribing me with a patch on the IBU page? I think that might be enough my friend. I love patches.

:lol: Dont be so hard on yourself.

Yep, I love living in Alabama when we get 80's and 50% humidity, it feels like winter. Tomorrow, it will be 70 with 70% humidity at 6am. Sticky Sweet.

So glad I live up North.
I really don't know how you Southerns can train in the summer months.
I'll take the snow and cold anyday over that kind of heat and humidity. PROPS to you!
Naaaah. All that heat makes you sweat. It takes a lot for me to sweat too. I need all the help I can get.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom