What did you do?

JillC LI

I am going to do 13 on Sunday on the ship, and then maybe one other run, and then the Castaway 5K on Castaway Cay. I built this off week into my full training plan, because I knew I wouldn't want to run much while on board.

So what are the running conditions on the ship? Will you use the TM or is there some sort of "track?"

That a girl! I love the dedication. Just like Sam said one time, " I will never understand the obsession when you volunteer to go run in the cold rain."

I know yall get it, and I understand not being able to run for a few days and doing it no matter how tired you are. *high five*

Thanks for the support. I'm having an internal debate with myself about my run later today. I have to do 5 miles: 1 mile warmup and cooldown and the middle 3 miles at 9:18 pace. (Considering I ran this same 3.1mile race last year at 9:38 pace and nearly dropped dead at the end, this is already quite a big improvement for me in the past year.) But here's the debate: if I do the run on the treadmill, I can force myself to stay on pace for the middle 3 miles no matter how hard they are. But if I run outdoors with my Garmin and no internal sensor, I will be up and down all over the place on pace and it will be harder to ensure I push hard enough on average. HOWEVER, the actual race will be outdoors and I'll need to somehow push to keep a 9 minute pace for that with just the Garmin, so this would be good experience, right?

So what would you do? Treadmill where I can ensure I get the proper tempo workout or outdoors for actual race training even though I may not average the required pace for today's workout? I have until 2:45pm for you to get back to me! :confused:

JillC LI

I did it!!!!!!!!!!

I am so excited and I just had to share this with my fellow runners who could appreciate it. So if you read my post above, you saw I was worried about doing my tempo training run today outdoors for fear I couldn't stay on pace. Well I decided to bite the bullet and do it anyway. And I decided to make the middle 3 miles into 3.1 miles to see how I'd do in a 5K today. Well.........as you may recall, my goal in this training program has been to run a sub-28 minute 5K at the race in 3 weeks and TODAY I RAN THOSE MIDDLE 3.1 MILES IN 27:55 min!!!!!!!! :sohappy: I wasn't trying to do that but I was so afraid I wouldn't be able to stay on the prescribed tempo run pace of 9:18 that I kept pushing and pushing and when I hit Lap on the Garmin at the end of that segment I nearly fell on the floor when it said 27:55. And I still had enough energy to do another mile of cool down! I guess I need a new race goal :D

Texas84

Only another 5 tomorrow, and 8 on Saturday before our Disney Cruise leave Saturday afternoon. I am going to do 13 on Sunday on the ship, and then maybe one other run, and then the Castaway 5K on Castaway Cay. I built this off week into my full training plan, because I knew I wouldn't want to run much while on board.

THAT is cool! Something else to put on my bucket list. I Googled it and looks like you get a nice certificate but no medal or t-shirt! :D

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
So what are the running conditions on the ship? Will you use the TM or is there some sort of "track?"

Thanks for the support. I'm having an internal debate with myself about my run later today. I have to do 5 miles: 1 mile warmup and cooldown and the middle 3 miles at 9:18 pace. (Considering I ran this same 3.1mile race last year at 9:38 pace and nearly dropped dead at the end, this is already quite a big improvement for me in the past year.) But here's the debate: if I do the run on the treadmill, I can force myself to stay on pace for the middle 3 miles no matter how hard they are. But if I run outdoors with my Garmin and no internal sensor, I will be up and down all over the place on pace and it will be harder to ensure I push hard enough on average. HOWEVER, the actual race will be outdoors and I'll need to somehow push to keep a 9 minute pace for that with just the Garmin, so this would be good experience, right?

So what would you do? Treadmill where I can ensure I get the proper tempo workout or outdoors for actual race training even though I may not average the required pace for today's workout? I have until 2:45pm for you to get back to me! :confused:
I know that some have to run indoors, Im cool with that, but I just dont like treadmill work. I dont think that you truly get 100% of running. I have no scientific proof or research, but the few times I have done it, I just feel that you have help in a way since the machine is moving too. In other words, Im just not a fan of them.

I am so excited and I just had to share this with my fellow runners who could appreciate it. So if you read my post above, you saw I was worried about doing my tempo training run today outdoors for fear I couldn't stay on pace. Well I decided to bite the bullet and do it anyway. And I decided to make the middle 3 miles into 3.1 miles to see how I'd do in a 5K today. Well.........as you may recall, my goal in this training program has been to run a sub-28 minute 5K at the race in 3 weeks and TODAY I RAN THOSE MIDDLE 3.1 MILES IN 27:55 min!!!!!!!! :sohappy: I wasn't trying to do that but I was so afraid I wouldn't be able to stay on the prescribed tempo run pace of 9:18 that I kept pushing and pushing and when I hit Lap on the Garmin at the end of that segment I nearly fell on the floor when it said 27:55. And I still had enough energy to do another mile of cool down! I guess I need a new race goal :D
YEA! I was going to reply until I saw this post to RUN OUTSIDE, but that is what you did and good for you. Excellent time and you reached your goal. Very nice! :D

joel_maxwell

4 miles today on lunch. I was going to do 5, but the office was blowing up my phone right before I left the house and my 5 month old was up all last night. Im lucky I had the dedication to at least get out there.

Wanted to make it a tempo, but I came in at with the middle miles being a little slower than I wanted:

8:24
7:55
8:01
8:35

scorp111

Man, you have a busy week. Enjoy the cruise. We are possibly going next October. Ill be burning up the track or the treadmill at least a few times while on board.

I plan on both, enjoying the week, and a few runs :)

They have a nice fitness room with a great sea view, and then deck 4 has a "jogging/walking" track which is 1/3 of a mile. Based on my experience on other cruise lines, I will tend to use the track more than the TM's. Some of my favorite runs ever were last November on the Carnival Dream just off the coast of Roatan and Belize, as the sun began to rise.:D

:sohappy:Great job Jill!!!!:sohappy:

THAT is cool! Something else to put on my bucket list. I Googled it and looks like you get a nice certificate but no medal or t-shirt! :D
No medal or T-shirt, but apparently most of the time you do get a numbered bib. For Free, I would do it anyway :)

5 miles at around 9:30 per mile yesterday afternoon to get my vacation started. Leaving today so my next run will be on A1A in Port Canaveral to watch the Magic come in tomorrow morning. :king:

Happy Friday everyone!

joel_maxwell

Looking forward to the trip report. If you go take a run on Castaway Key, please remember where you went so you can give me some tips. That way, I wont waste a lot of time running on the island or looking for a good route.

JillC LI

4 miles today on lunch. I was going to do 5, but the office was blowing up my phone right before I left the house and my 5 month old was up all last night. Im lucky I had the dedication to at least get out there.

Good for you! Those all nighters with an unhappy baby are tough. And thanks for the support.

They have a nice fitness room with a great sea view, and then deck 4 has a "jogging/walking" track which is 1/3 of a mile. Based on my experience on other cruise lines, I will tend to use the track more than the TM's. Some of my favorite runs ever were last November on the Carnival Dream just off the coast of Roatan and Belize, as the sun began to rise.:D

Sounds beautiful. Enjoy! I'll be going on our first family cruise in December (Carnival Freedom) so I'll have to look into the track issue to burn off some of that cruise food!

faw286570

Congratulations Jill! Way to go! I know this is an important achievement! Thanks for sharing it with us!

JillC LI

Congratulations Jill! Way to go! I know this is an important achievement! Thanks for sharing it with us!

Some things are just better shared with fellow runners who can appreciate the what it means to run 5K 38 seconds per mile faster than you did it the year before. Numbers like that mean little to my husband even though he supports my endeavors.

Now I just have to come up with a new race goal for mid-November since I hit my original race goal in a training run! Thanks again for those tips you provided.

joel_maxwell

Some things are just better shared with fellow runners who can appreciate the what it means to run 5K 38 seconds per mile faster than you did it the year before. Numbers like that mean little to my husband even though he supports my endeavors.

Now I just have to come up with a new race goal for mid-November since I hit my original race goal in a training run! Thanks again for those tips you provided.
Unless asked, I dont make a fuss about my running goals. They see the excitement on my face and my internal energy. That is infectious on its own. I dont want to water things down and make it a "Ahhh, dads talking about how he shaved 10 seconds off his best mile time!"

:lol:

fmingo36

YOU GO GIRL!!! :sohappy:

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member

Great job!! Congrats!

GoofyRacer11

I only ran 16 miles this morning, cause I'm cutting back a little
for my race in two weeks. The weather was great for running.
I finished in 2 hours and 20 minutes, which is a little under a
9 minute mile pace. It would have been faster, but before my
run I banged my knee into a metal handle on one of our floor
cabinets. Hope everyone is doing well with their training!

joel_maxwell

I only ran 16 miles this morning, cause I'm cutting back a little
for my race in two weeks. The weather was great for running.
I finished in 2 hours and 20 minutes, which is a little under a
9 minute mile pace. It would have been faster, but before my
run I banged my knee into a metal handle on one of our floor
cabinets. Hope everyone is doing well with their training!
Nice work!

Week 1 of P90X complete. It was a challenge, considering I had to work 2 12-hour days this week, but I got it done.
There you go. I loved P90X. Way to stick it out on the work out after a long 2 days.

joel_maxwell

Was supposed to do 10 miles this am, but I did 12.20 instead. I wasnt feeling like even running this morning, but at 5:25, I got up anyway and got out there. Once out there and adjusted to the AWESOME 37 degrees, I stuck around and ran an additional just because I loved what we do.

Happy Saturday everyone.

fmingo36

3 miles and an 1 hour of Yoga this morning.

Just found out that a guy that I take Pilates/Yoga with every week died of a heart attack in his sleep earlier inthe week. He was only 33 years old. I am in shock!

MKCP 1985

great jobs with your running everyone!

Such a shock to hear of the 33 year old. Yikes.

Yesterday was the "Making Strides" cancer walk fundraiser for the American Cancer Society and I did that 5K walk with my wife and several of her colleagues from work.

I followed that up with a 5K race last night. So 3 plus 3 equals six miles. Not exactly the long run marathon training calls for, but both were for good causes. It was weird to get back up and do a 5k race at the end of the day with my shins barking at me a little bit from the morning walk, but as usual, once the running started all those little pains went away.

Texas84

Just found out that a guy that I take Pilates/Yoga with every week died of a heart attack in his sleep earlier inthe week. He was only 33 years old. I am in shock!
Tragic. I make sure I get that 6-month check-up and tell my doctor exactly what I'm doing.

Slept in until 0900 to let it warm up a bit. Started a 5-miler at 40F and finished at 60F. Went ahead and put the knee bands on and had no pain at all. Funny how your body doesn't work the same very day.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom