What did you do?

JillC LI

It is foggy here too. Looking forward, but yet a little apprehensive about tonight. Ok Nick, Im going to try and run tonight in a slow 5 mile pace to see how the heel does. I really think it is tendinitis since the soreness appears to move around that area a bit from right side, to middle to left. In that case and everything goes well tonight, Ill just run through the pain if it comes up again. Aleve is helping a lot too.

If you're not gonna do the "R" in RICE (understandably so with the impending race), at least try to do the rest of it as much as possible: Ice, Compression, Elevate.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
If you're not gonna do the "R" in RICE (understandably so with the impending race), at least try to do the rest of it as much as possible: Ice, Compression, Elevate.
You are correct Jill. I have given it 4 days of no activity except walking into work. I am pretty familiar with my body and if it isnt ready after 4 days rest, then it isnt going to be ready without a month off. That just isnt happening.

We will see. *crosses fingers*

joel_maxwell

5 miles. Brutal. mile 1 was really really bad and felt like knives stabbing the back of me heel. By mile 5, it was a lot better, but still tender. Im going to try a AC band to try and trick my brain. If that doesnt work, Im off to the doctor and probably calling it dead for the February 13th marathon. :mad:

scorp111

5 miles. Brutal. mile 1 was really really bad and felt like knives stabbing the back of me heel. By mile 5, it was a lot better, but still tender. Im going to try a AC band to try and trick my brain. If that doesnt work, Im off to the doctor and probably calling it dead for the February 13th marathon. :mad:

That just blows :mad:

I did 5.5 miles at 9:36 pace.....with my new 305! I am in love it. It may be ugly, it may be an older model, but it is so much better than the mapping/stopwatch etc stuff I have been doing. I totally am pleased with it already, and I am sure it will help my pacing a ton. No more math while I am running, trying to remember mileposts etc.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer

That just blows :mad:

I did 5.5 miles at 9:36 pace.....with my new 305! I am in love it. It may be ugly, it may be an older model, but it is so much better than the mapping/stopwatch etc stuff I have been doing. I totally am pleased with it already, and I am sure it will help my pacing a ton. No more math while I am running, trying to remember mileposts etc.

I love my 305. Glad you're enjoying it! Ugly? Old? No way man, it's impressive and the golden standard! Just remember, even though there's alot of data and features...EYES ON THE ROAD and don't trip looking at it every 2 seconds!

Cheers!

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer

That is awful in every possible way. Sorry dude. Good luck at the docs and keep us posted.

Erin_Akey

We only did two miles last night. Our run got interrupted by a work phone call. i HATE being on call, but what can ya do? At least we got two in. Better than zero i suppose!

Phonedave

That stinks.

Hoping for the best.

-dave

scorp111

I love my 305. Glad you're enjoying it! Ugly? Old? No way man, it's impressive and the golden standard! Just remember, even though there's alot of data and features...EYES ON THE ROAD and don't trip looking at it every 2 seconds!
Cheers!

Something I noticed last night :) I need to get used to it, and check it less often:lol:

fmingo36

That really stinks. :mad:
Hope the AC band works for you and the rest of your marathon training goes smoothly.

Wilt Dasney

Good luck with the heel, Joel. What rotten timing.

BTW, I've totally fallen off the wagon since WDW. Did my first running in 10 days yesterday interspersed with a lot of walking. The running probably didn't even add up to 1/2 mile. I have to get back out there soon, but it has been nice to not have to worry about when to fit in a run for the last week or so.

MickeyBen

I just came in from an easy 3 miler, still recovering from a knee injury.

What did you do today?

Well... My wife and I ran the last two days. today was cross training so we did cardio and weights.... Now to relax until we run again. got another half marathon in April... Training has begun. Feeling great after Disney!!:sohappy:

joel_maxwell

That stinks.

Hoping for the best.

-dave

That really stinks. :mad:
Hope the AC band works for you and the rest of your marathon training goes smoothly.

Good luck with the heel, Joel. What rotten timing.
Not one store carries a Achilles Tendon Strap in town. I call the pretentious "Trak Shak" and Fleet Feet of bham and they had never heard of a AT strap. Seriously? You are a running store and you have never heard of this product. I can see you not carrying it in your store, but never hearing of such thing just proves that you suck and this is why I dont shop at your over priced store. :D

Now that that is said, I couldnt run today. It is pretty bad. So, I made an opt with a doc here locally for Monday. Oy. I wanted tomorrow but they didnt have anything. She is a tri-athlete and has even been on an olympic level. Cool!

Question to all that have had injuries. This was my big big week. 40 miles. I have been able to do but 5. Hypothetically, if she gives me a band or brace to get through this and I start back on the routine Monday, what should I expect to have lost from and endurance stand point and threshold. Huge drop off? Minimal difference? What?

Thanks guys for the support. Right now Im pretty upset and just bummed out. A little angry too. Worst case, I can change my Nashville April 30th Half to a Full. Granted, it wont be 30 and cold like I like it, but 50 and running is better than 30 and not able too.

Phonedave

Not one store carries a Achilles Tendon Strap in town. I call the pretentious "Trak Shak" and Fleet Feet of bham and they had never heard of a AT strap. Seriously? You are a running store and you have never heard of this product. I can see you not carrying it in your store, but never hearing of such thing just proves that you suck and this is why I dont shop at your over priced store. :D

Now that that is said, I couldnt run today. It is pretty bad. So, I made an opt with a doc here locally for Monday. Oy. I wanted tomorrow but they didnt have anything. She is a tri-athlete and has even been on an olympic level. Cool!

Question to all that have had injuries. This was my big big week. 40 miles. I have been able to do but 5. Hypothetically, if she gives me a band or brace to get through this and I start back on the routine Monday, what should I expect to have lost from and endurance stand point and threshold. Huge drop off? Minimal difference? What?

Thanks guys for the support. Right now Im pretty upset and just bummed out. A little angry too. Worst case, I can change my Nashville April 30th Half to a Full. Granted, it wont be 30 and cold like I like it, but 50 and running is better than 30 and not able too.

Everyone is different.

I messed up my knee and had to take 2 weeks off back in the Sept / Nov time frame.

To me, It really did not make that big of a difference. In fact I was quite surprised, I thought I was going to be back quite a bit. I would say it took me about a week to get back to where I was.

-dave

scorp111

4.34 miles @ 9:36 pace this morning....

I don't think I run often enough on weekday mornings to be used to it yet.:)

My long run this weekend will be messed up because of work, but I hope to get at least 8 miles or so in on Sunday afternoon.

joel_maxwell

Everyone is different.

I messed up my knee and had to take 2 weeks off back in the Sept / Nov time frame.

To me, It really did not make that big of a difference. In fact I was quite surprised, I thought I was going to be back quite a bit. I would say it took me about a week to get back to where I was.

-dave
I recall this injury Dave. That is all I needed to hear. If I can get something worked out Monday and she clears me to run, I might still be in it having 2 full weeks till the race. That obviously includes longs of 12 and 8 so I could at least stretch out some.

Thanks for the input.

JillC LI

Been outta touch for a few days but just saw all your updates, Joel. I'm so sorry to hear that your injury has not improved. Worse comes to worst, 50 degrees is really not bad to run a marathon in April - it's actually quite nice. But I do hope that the doc can get you back on your feet by Monday.

Here are my purely layperson thoughts about what you should do if you are cleared to run again on Monday. With one week off at the absolute peak of your training, I will say that you probably lost very little in terms of fitness. If you had chosen to taper after the week before's training level, you'd probably do just as well at the marathon. In any case, I don't think you should jump back in with a 40 mile week on an injury. Ease back into training so you don't re-injure, but let pain be your guide as to how much mileage you complete. Perhaps do somewhere between the 40 miles you missed and the number of miles you'd do during your first week of taper. Then do a normal taper for the final two weeks. If you're feeling a little draggy from the week off, slow it down a bit to ensure you finish the distance.

I'm sure your doctor can give you better advice than this given her background. It's really good to be seeing someone who will understand how important this is to you as well as the physical ramifications. Good luck!

joel_maxwell

Been outta touch for a few days but just saw all your updates, Joel. I'm so sorry to hear that your injury has not improved. Worse comes to worst, 50 degrees is really not bad to run a marathon in April - it's actually quite nice. But I do hope that the doc can get you back on your feet by Monday.

Here are my purely layperson thoughts about what you should do if you are cleared to run again on Monday. With one week off at the absolute peak of your training, I will say that you probably lost very little in terms of fitness. If you had chosen to taper after the week before's training level, you'd probably do just as well at the marathon. In any case, I don't think you should jump back in with a 40 mile week on an injury. Ease back into training so you don't re-injure, but let pain be your guide as to how much mileage you complete. Perhaps do somewhere between the 40 miles you missed and the number of miles you'd do during your first week of taper. Then do a normal taper for the final two weeks. If you're feeling a little draggy from the week off, slow it down a bit to ensure you finish the distance.

I'm sure your doctor can give you better advice than this given her background. It's really good to be seeing someone who will understand how important this is to you as well as the physical ramifications. Good luck!
Thanks Jill for the kind and encouraging post. I think that is why Im actually excited to go see her instead of dreading it. I will be smart. I have a feeling she will probably tell me to do nothing but rest. The frustrating thing is, I rested for 4 days and the pain was virtually gone, then I ran and instantly it was back. I just hope this doesnt linger for weeks and weeks.

I have run in 50's plenty of times and yes, it is actually nice. I would be a little weary of once that sun comes up, but Nashville is well north of me so it would only be cooler. Besides, the Mercedes medal is small and sucks anyway. Nashville RnR series medals are far cooler. :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom