What did you do?

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Thanks everyone. I proud to say I did 2 miles tonight. :D I might still convert my Nashville half to a full just to mentally take the pressure off.

It wasnt too bad but still tender. If this is the worst, I can make it. I think with the intense ice massages, some Aleve (doc ordered me too) and some therapy, I might just make it after all.

scorp111

That is an impressive goal - best of luck! Get in some long distance workouts so that you can keep that overall pace where you want it. :wave:

Well I did 12 miles at 11:15 the weekend before last, and really felt like a slug. We will see what race day brings:)

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
10.60 miles yesterday in absolute bitter cold. Normally, in takes me only 0.75 mi to get warmed up in 30 degree temps. But yesterday, it took me almost 3.5 miles to start getting warmed up. I think it was 5 degrees yesterday morning with a -1 wind chill.

Warmer today, we'll see how it goes.

fmingo36

10.60 miles yesterday in absolute bitter cold. Normally, in takes me only 0.75 mi to get warmed up in 30 degree temps. But yesterday, it took me almost 3.5 miles to start getting warmed up. I think it was 5 degrees yesterday morning with a -1 wind chill.

YOU ARE INSANE! :lol: I didn't even want to get in my car and drive to work yesterday, never mind actually run in this weather.

fmingo36

I'm glad it's not just me. I have been enjoying the freedom of not "having to" run...but I feel like I might be enjoying it too much! I *might* have totaled .5 mile of jogging during a 2-mile walk last week, but that has been the full extent of my exercise since the race. I'm starting to feel guilty about being such a slug!

I feel a little bad about not running but like I haven't been completely sitting on my butt. Still getting 6 days of some form of exercise in; either on the eliptical, strength training, yoga/centergy classes.

It does feel weird not having the "I have to get a run in today" stress. The three weeks before the marathon were such a blur. I had such tunnel vision for the marathon. As soon as I'd wake up, my first thoughts were WHEN I was going to run, how I was going to fit those runs in to my already hectic schedule. It is nice not having that feeling. I look forward to a little warmer weather when I can go for a run just to go for a run.

Of course I've also been spending some of my "downtime" looking for upcoming races to run. :) I'll be signing up for something pretty soon and then back to that training schedule.

joel_maxwell

The coldest I have run in is 15 degrees with a slight wind chill. Not to take anything away from running in 5 degree weather, but Ill say that I just dont think there is much difference in 15 degree and 5 degree weather. Once you get below 20, all feels the same to me. :lol:

I know the feeling though, once below 20 here, it feels like I never really warm up, I just get my body to a nice temp for survival but always feel the slightest bit chilled. That might be due to me only wearing a long sleeve fitted and short sleeve tech shirts. Joel = Moron.

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
I feel a little bad about not running but like I haven't been completely sitting on my butt. Still getting 6 days of some form of exercise in; either on the eliptical, strength training, yoga/centergy classes.

It does feel weird not having the "I have to get a run in today" stress. The three weeks before the marathon were such a blur. I had such tunnel vision for the marathon. As soon as I'd wake up, my first thoughts were WHEN I was going to run, how I was going to fit those runs in to my already hectic schedule. It is nice not having that feeling. I look forward to a little warmer weather when I can go for a run just to go for a run.

Of course I've also been spending some of my "downtime" looking for upcoming races to run. :) I'll be signing up for something pretty soon and then back to that training schedule.

Bingo....which is why I've already got another 1/2 marathon, 2 5 mile runs, a 5k, the Everest Challenge, Wine and Dine half marathon and the 2012 Half marathon already on my schedule.

Gotta have goals.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
The coldest I have run in is 15 degrees with a slight wind chill. Not to take anything away from running in 5 degree weather, but Ill say that I just dont think there is much difference in 15 degree and 5 degree weather. Once you get below 20, all feels the same to me. :lol:

I know the feeling though, once below 20 here, it feels like I never really warm up, I just get my body to a nice temp for survival but always feel the slightest bit chilled. That might be due to me only wearing a long sleeve fitted and short sleeve tech shirts. Joel = Moron.

You are so right. There is no difference...just shivering.

JillC LI

Thanks everyone. I proud to say I did 2 miles tonight. :D I might still convert my Nashville half to a full just to mentally take the pressure off.

It wasnt too bad but still tender. If this is the worst, I can make it. I think with the intense ice massages, some Aleve (doc ordered me too) and some therapy, I might just make it after all.

So I finally got back on the boards and I just read your medical update and this post as well. I'm really happy for you that you were cleared to run, but knowing your goals for this race, I have a hunch you might still decide to go for the full in Nashville instead. None of us have any doubt that you could finish the full, barring injury, but you seem to have some time goals as well, and that might be difficult coming off an injury. I'm curious to see what you decide. Either way, it's good that the pain is nothing serious or long-lasting.

So what's with the no jacket running in this weather?!?! I don't like running in a heavy coat, but a light weight jacket over an Under Armour For Coldest Weather turtleneck keeps me quite comfy after that first mile. I find that the snow and ice on the ground is a bigger problem than the cold (not that I wouldn't prefer some nice 40 degree weather already!).

JillC LI

Drove an hour to run a 5 mile race sponsored by my son's college service organization.

My goal was to finish in 50 minutes because I have been running a slower pace lately.

Actual finish time was 46:53. Thrilled with that result - a PR for that distance. :D

Fantastic! Congratulations! :sohappy:

joel_maxwell

So I finally got back on the boards and I just read your medical update and this post as well. I'm really happy for you that you were cleared to run, but knowing your goals for this race, I have a hunch you might still decide to go for the full in Nashville instead. None of us have any doubt that you could finish the full, barring injury, but you seem to have some time goals as well, and that might be difficult coming off an injury. I'm curious to see what you decide. Either way, it's good that the pain is nothing serious or long-lasting.

So what's with the no jacket running in this weather?!?! I don't like running in a heavy coat, but a light weight jacket over an Under Armour For Coldest Weather turtleneck keeps me quite comfy after that first mile. I find that the snow and ice on the ground is a bigger problem than the cold (not that I wouldn't prefer some nice 40 degree weather already!).
Hey Jill. Really it all depends on this week. If by Saturday, the pain keeps following the trend and dissipating ever so slightly each day, I might still go for it. It is just a nagging kind of thing and I dont think Ill be able to get my desired time in, I might go ahead and run the full for the experience of running one and then change my Nashville to a full and go for a timed race there. Granted, on race day it might differ in about 20 degrees from the 2 different races which would be frustrating, but I can still go for it.

I would bake in a light jacket. There is now way. I guess 2 tech shirts is probably the same thing. One long sleeve and the other short. It is funny when I get home and undress. My chest is usually beat red in a chapped kind of way if there is any wind but there is a perfect, warm stripe across my chest from my heart monitor.

joel_maxwell

5 miles last night. Some parts of my run had very minimal pain and some parts were a little more touch and go. It seems to only be on the outside of the hell now and not the inside at all. Half way there. :D

Rehab session 1 today.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
6.51 miles this morning in rain and snow "storm." My run was short because I had to teach today but the college canceled classes due to he weather (for those not in the know, I'm an exhibiting artist but I also teach advanced drawing and art history at the local colleges/universities).

15 miles tomorrow
10 miles Friday (5 in the morning and 5 at night with my new headlamp!).
30 miles Saturday

Cheers!

fmingo36

6.51 miles this morning in rain and snow "storm." My run was short because I had to teach today but the college canceled classes due to he weather (for those not in the know, I'm an exhibiting artist but I also teach advanced drawing and art history at the local colleges/universities).

15 miles tomorrow
10 miles Friday (5 in the morning and 5 at night with my new headlamp!).
30 miles Saturday

Cheers!

WAY TO GO DONALD DUCK!!! Just be careful out there. With all this snow and ice, you don't want to injure yourself before the BIG run. This weather is just sooooooo bad for us runners:(

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
WAY TO GO DONALD DUCK!!! Just be careful out there. With all this snow and ice, you don't want to injure yourself before the BIG run. This weather is just sooooooo bad for us runners:(

Oh I'm careful, thanks. This weather is crazy here in NJ. But, harsh conditions are prepping me for my ultra. If anyone is NJ, come and suppport me at the NJ Ultra! My wife is looking for company! I had to pursuade her cousin to go with us so she wouldn't be bored out of her mind watching her husband destroy himself nn:D

scorp111

5 miles last night. Some parts of my run had very minimal pain and some parts were a little more touch and go. It seems to only be on the outside of the hell now and not the inside at all. Half way there. :D

Rehab session 1 today.

Freudian slip?

Weird Run for me today. Decent mile 1 & 2 (for me at least), and then fell way off the pace miles 3 & 4 as I suffered through some hills (first time I have ran this route, and had never even driven it), some wind, and just uncomfortableness. My pace at the 4 mile mark was all the way back to 10:27per mile. Walked a hill, calmed my self down and did much better the final 3 miles, getting my overall pace back to 10:10 per mile which is about average for me at this distance. Splits:
1 00:09:23
2 00:09:50
3 00:10:54
4 00:11:02
5 00:10:39
6 00:09:49
7 00:09:37

Guess some runs are just like that, Especially when you have been running less than 4 months, I just let it get me mentally off.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom