What did you do?

Kristia

This winter has been brutal so far. I think I need a treadmill. :eek: I haven't been able to get any runs in lately and it is driving me nuts! Between the cold and taking care of our outdoor animals which takes twice as long in this cold I am just done with this winter!

JillC LI

This winter has been brutal so far. I think I need a treadmill. :eek: I haven't been able to get any runs in lately and it is driving me nuts! Between the cold and taking care of our outdoor animals which takes twice as long in this cold I am just done with this winter!

It is a great investment for a dedicated runner, Kristi. My mother-in-law bought me a treadmill as a special birthday gift after I ran the NYC Marathon in 2005. I've put about 2700 miles on it in 8 years due to times I couldn't run outdoors because (a) there was ice or snow on the ground,or even just brutally cold weather, like today; (b) I had no one to watch my kids when they were younger; or (c) it was very early and still dark out so I didn't feel safe. I have a simple, relatively low-end model with a wide track, a handful of preprogrammed runs I never use, and it folds up. Cost about $800 back in 2006 at Dick's Sporting Goods (store brand - Horizon).

LindsayLoves

^ Crunchy!

Planned - 40 min tempo

Actual - 40 min tempo. Just over 1.6 miles @ 9:01, 2 miles at 8:04 and 8:10, and a mile cool down at 8:36. Super happy to see those tempo paces, it been a while and that 8:10 mile included a big old hill so I am super proud of that. Not letting the cold have an impact on my running anymore, I guess I am acclimated. I am breathing well and my legs are finally feeling like they can move at a decent clip despite frigid temps.

JillC LI

Not letting the cold have an impact on my running anymore, I guess I am acclimated. I am breathing well and my legs are finally feeling like they can move at a decent clip despite frigid temps.

Are the running paths you use well shovelled in NYC Lindsay? The suburban streets and sidewalks by me are still so icy and not well-plowed. Many of the snowbirds don't make arrangements for their sidewalks to be shovelled while they are in FL for the winter. Cold aside, I am afraid of slipping and injuring something if I run outside some days.

bethram

I just got home from work from yesterday :confused: Don't move to Atlanta, it's insane if it snow/ices, all schools and businesses in metro area released at the same time and the city was in gridlock until this morning. There were students and teachers that ended up spending the night at school (my school included), buses with students stranded, pure insanity! It took me 5 hours yesterday to go 7 miles and I was lucky that DH got us a hotel room. It only took me about an hour to drive home this morning - about 13 miles on the highway and 2-3 miles on backroads. It's only going to get above 32 for an hour or two this afternoon so school/work tomorrow is doubtful.

I've had a killer headache all morning and didn't have anything to take for it until I got home. I'm hoping to run on the treadmill after the Advil kicks in.

Maryssa*

I just got home from work from yesterday :confused: Don't move to Atlanta, it's insane if it snow/ices, all schools and businesses in metro area released at the same time and the city was in gridlock until this morning. There were students and teachers that ended up spending the night at school (my school included), buses with students stranded, pure insanity! It took me 5 hours yesterday to go 7 miles and I was lucky that DH got us a hotel room. It only took me about an hour to drive home this morning - about 13 miles on the highway and 2-3 miles on backroads. It's only going to get above 32 for an hour or two this afternoon so school/work tomorrow is doubtful.

I've had a killer headache all morning and didn't have anything to take for it until I got home. I'm hoping to run on the treadmill after the Advil kicks in.
Stay safe! Been watching how scary those roads look on the news :(

bethram

4.1 miles on the treadmill, had to work off the residual anxiety from my adventure. Now for a shower, a walk back down to my car at the front of the neighborhood, then a hot bath :)

LindsayLoves

Are the running paths you use well shovelled in NYC Lindsay? The suburban streets and sidewalks by me are still so icy and not well-plowed. Many of the snowbirds don't make arrangements for their sidewalks to be shovelled while they are in FL for the winter. Cold aside, I am afraid of slipping and injuring something if I run outside some days.

I do 95% of my running in Central Park (where I work) and our main park drive (a 6 mile loop) has to be cleared ASAP post snow. We plow, the city plows, we salt and sand and use calcium when the temps are too cold for salt to work. Unless it is actively snowing the park drive will be down to the pavement a few hours after the snow stops, even on weekends. I will not run if its icy/slick out but we do such a good job I can't make that excuse very often.

Running around my neighborhood would be a nightmare as a lot of businesses do the bare minimum and by the time they get started the snow is so compacted its a nightmare for them to remove. My parents live on a street with a lot of snowbirds in Buffalo and they all have plowing services. For two big reasons... one they would get robbed if people caught on to an empty house and two the city would fine the pants off of them for not clearing their sidewalks.

Beth - your "adventure" sounds terrible. Glad to hear you made it home safe and sound.

Planned - 3 easy miles

Actual - 3.58 miles @ 9:14/mi.

Last edited:

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
So its been an interesting week. Let me indulge you:
Wednesday 22nd: Felt ill so I stayed home from work. Went to the pool and crosstrained
Thursday 23rd: Woke up with 102 and the flu (seasonal). Felt like death. Wished for it too.
Friday 24th: Started the positive thinking with meds to will myself well.
Saturday 25th: Took it easy again
Sunday 26th: Went swimming that night and cross trained again
Monday 27th: Gym workout with extra stuff trying to get back on track. 50K/50mi loom in weeks.
Tuesday 28th: We were supposed to get a dusting of snow and the weather people F'ed it up again. BY 11am, all schools and businesses were closing and the city went into panic mode. We left our office at 2pm and had NO trouble in the 4runner 4x4, however, all the people with 2wheel drives were getting into wrecks and clogging up the arteries of roads. See pics. So, we travelled 50+ miles over 23 hours to get less that 20 miles home. There were times when we were travelling roads with cars that had slide down hills into creeks, over turned vehicles, destroyed vehicles etc. We truly master roads that had destroyed other vehicles. It was an adventure... and I hated walking 6 miles in my dress shoes form work. Never again will I be without a set of running clothes. The first thing I did when I got home was hug my kids built a snowman, then put my Hoka's on and went running.
Thursday 30th: This morning I woke up and went to get my 4runner. I couldnt get down the street to my house, see pic, and so I made it fun. Now to the pics.

When we get snow, it turns to sheets of ice. These are all abandoned cars, on 1 street... in a city of thousands.
IMG_01691.jpg

This was my main hwy to get to my house. Again, I could have traversed it no problem.
photo 1.JPG

This is how much we travelled with multiple dead ends and back and fourths....... pains me.
Driving.jpg

We reached the top of double oak mtn. The 4runner would stay here for the night. Sorry sweat girl.
photo 2.JPG

This morning in 8degree temps... why not run to your vehicle 6 miles away.
photo 3.JPG

Instead of running up the highway, why not run the power line trails. Better leg work.
photo 4.JPG

So, Birmingham is thawing and returning to normal, but once again, Ill say that meteorologists suck and they are highly over paid. I texted Nick @Donald Duck a few times from the run. Good to always talk to someone in the same conditions.

Swimming tomorrow.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
Wednesday 22nd: Felt ill so I stayed home from work. Went to the pool and crosstrained
Thursday 23rd: Woke up with 102 and the flu (seasonal). Felt like death. Wished for it too.
Monday 27th: Gym workout with extra stuff trying to get back on track. 50K/50mi loom in weeks.
Tuesday 28th: We were supposed to get a dusting of snow and the weather people F'ed it up again. BY 11am, all schools and businesses were closing and the city went into panic mode. We left our office at 2pm and had NO trouble in the 4runner 4x4, however, all the people with 2wheel drives were getting into wrecks and clogging up the arteries of roads. See pics. So, we travelled 50+ miles over 23 hours to get less that 20 miles home. There were times when we were travelling roads with cars that had slide down hills into creeks, over turned vehicles, destroyed vehicles etc. We truly master roads that had destroyed other vehicles. It was an adventure... and I hated walking 6 miles in my dress shoes form work. Never again will I be without a set of running clothes. The first thing I did when I got home was hug my kids built a snowman, then put my Hoka's on and went running.
Thursday 30th: This morning I woke up and went to get my 4runner. I couldnt get down the street to my house, see pic, and so I made it fun. Now to the pics.

When we get snow, it turns to sheets of ice. These are all abandoned cars, on 1 street... in a city of thousands.
View attachment 44870

This was my main hwy to get to my house. Again, I could have traversed it no problem.
View attachment 44871

This is how much we travelled with multiple dead ends and back and fourths....... pains me.
View attachment 44869

We reached the top of double oak mtn. The 4runner would stay here for the night. Sorry sweat girl.
View attachment 44872

View attachment 44873

Instead of running up the highway, why not run the power line trails. Better leg work.
View attachment 44874

So, Birmingham is thawing and returning to normal, but once again, Ill say that meteorologists suck and they are highly over paid. I texted Nick @Donald Duck a few times from the run. Good to always talk to someone in the same conditions.

Swimming tomorrow.
People without 4 wheel drive...lmao

bethram

View attachment 44870

View attachment 44871

View attachment 44869

View attachment 44872

View attachment 44873

View attachment 44874

Swimming tomorrow.

Welcome back! I'd wondered where you'd been, sorry you were sick!

It seems like Birmingham and Atlanta had pretty similar crap on Tuesday but somehow Atlanta has ended up all over the national news but not B'ham. I'm glad you got home safely, even if it was an adventure and a half!

Texas84

I've been in Greenville, SC all week for work. Took a day trip to Charlotte and roads were not bad. Drove back home through the ATL today and saw about 10 cars on 285, some in ditches turned the wrong way.

I was in Atlanta for a nasty ice storm way back when. 1993, I think. My front wheel drive rental car was actually doing better than the 4-wheelers. One of them in front of me started slipping back down the hill we were going up and I was able to steer around it.

Sooo, I'll get back to the routine Saturday. Going to be up into the 40's Saturday morning!

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
People without 4 wheel drive...lmao
There was a few times when I waved 2 wheelers on.... because I didnt want them behind me. Then, when they got stuck, just went around them. It should be law, in this situation, only emergency personnel and 4x4 are able to get out. It was dangerous having all the roads blocked this bad.
Welcome back! I'd wondered where you'd been, sorry you were sick!

It seems like Birmingham and Atlanta had pretty similar crap on Tuesday but somehow Atlanta has ended up all over the national news but not B'ham. I'm glad you got home safely, even if it was an adventure and a half!
Yes, the flu was 48 hours of death. But Im good now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom