What did you do?

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
6.23 miles at 9:23 pace, first run with my Camelbak. I've never been great about hydrating during long runs because I hate holding bottles and I think a fuel belt would drive me nuts, I think this is going to work. I didn't have it full today so it was a bit noisy, but easy enough to tune out. Now, I've got to figure out how to make sure the tubing doesn't freeze - I think our bike store should have something, they have plenty of Camelbak accessories and parts.
Learned from Nick, tape some black medical tape and wrap the tube up. Wrap in a spiral over and over. Reason for black is obvious and will attract more heat from the sun.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
OK, I'm pretty sure I have metatarsalgia which is a fancy word for pain in the metatarsals of the foot. It can be caused by a number of things, but given when the pain does and does not occur, in my case it's probably a bone bruise of the 3rd and 4th metatarsals (from what I don't know). Should heal by itself but I can alleviate the pain with metatarsal pads in my regular shoes. The pain probably subsided in my running shoes while I ran because of the extra cushioning. Now to find metatarsal pads . . .
I have used mole skin pads before from Doctor Shcolls (sp?)

Good luck with the recovery.

Kristia

4 miles today. Had the day off and tomorrow's weather is supposed to be crappy so I took advantage of today's weather. I did an experiment and ran with my Brooks shoes. I have been running in the Hokas since August or so. I was curious to see how different they were. I definitely felt the pounding more in my knee and I had a really tough first mile. My speed was about the same as in the Hokas. I think I will be sticking with the Hokas since I have definitely gotten used to that extra cushioning! I haven't had any shin, knee or hip issues since switching. Hokas it is!

@JillC LI - hope you have a handle on your issue and you will be on the mend soon! Dan had some thoughts but he said that is a tough area to diagnose without seeing.

LindsayLoves

Planned - 4 easy miles

Actual - 7x400 @1:48 with 1 mi warm up and 1 mi cool down. We are expecting snow tomorrow so I figured I would move my speed work today and if I can the easy 4 miles tomorrow, if not a stretch and strengthen session will be in order.

a2grafix

Ran 13.1 miles Sunday morning with 6,999 other marathoners and half marathoners at the Louisiana Marathon and Half in Baton Rouge. This is where it all started for me in 2013. This was my first taste of being a half marathoner. The course is flat and fast, with the exception of a bridge we have to cross to get to mile 2 and back over to get to mile 12.

2014-01-18_21-20-27_776.jpg

2014-01-19_06-50-32_598.jpg

Ran a personal best 2:18.51! YES! I cracked 2:20! Bested my previous personal best by nearly 3 minutes, which was set Dec. 1 at the Space Coast Half Marathon, which is another flat and fast course. Upper 40s to start, low 50s to finish, not a cloud in the sky. Ran strong for nearly 7 miles. Stopped once before mile 5 to take a picture, and right after mile 7 for another picture. Also had to catch my breath as my lungs were burning as I reached the top of "bread hill" at mile 11.75.

IMG950450.jpg

IMG950451.jpg

IMG950452.jpg

Ran with 20 Team RWBers, most of them from the Fort Polk / Alexandria, La., chapter. Like me some of the other Team RWBers traveled cross country to race. Two "eagles" are from San Diego and Chicago, and me from Memphis. Unlike my first ever half marathon in 2013 in "red stick" I wasn't all that tired or sore. I was stiff in a few places and I remember waking up early Monday feeling like I was super old, but my legs and arms felt fine. Just need to stretch for about an hour.

IMG950454.jpg

Girlfriend joined me on the weekend trip and we got to see more of what Baton Rouge has to offer. Great food, beautiful views, and to top it off after the race she gave me my Christmas gift, a couples massage at a massage therapy place a block from our hotel.

2014-01-19_07-22-05_649.jpg

Only in its third year, the Louisiana Marathon and Half is already one of the top 10 courses in America by Runner's World. Cheap too - with a returning runner discount, paid $45 to run the half, as opposed to $195 for the 2014 Disneyland Half. Course takes you though Downtown Baton Rouge and government district through tree-lined neighborhoods, through a city park and golf course, around University Lake (most of the half miles), through Louisiana State University's campus, and then back into downtown. Finish it off with a great finisher's food festival with great music, Southern food (jambalaya, frog legs, duck, alligator (chili), and other faire) and good beer.

2014-01-19_07-56-53_815.jpg

2014-01-19_11-33-34_658.jpg

Funny signs on the course: Who needs nipples, smile if you pee'd a little.

Last edited:

JillC LI

Congrats on the PR @a2grafix!
Thanks @Kristia, I'll look for Dan's Friend request. Beginning to second guess my initial diagnosis.
Keep up those baby steps @diddy_mouse, and dress properly for those cold runs.
Big snowstorm has begun here. One foot expected by tomorrow. Run safe and warm everyone.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
Run-Bushwhacking and strength work out today. My havent been doing my 20-30 mile daily runs like I was, in favor of more challenging terrain, and elevation changes for my 2nd attempt...you knw what that is ;-)
Ramping up mileage in the next few weeks: back to back to back to back to back 25-30 milers. Suffer i will.
image.jpg

Sumrdog

We made it home! I am hoping to get a little marathon report done soon. But since I just started working toward my masters online and I am taking 4 classes along with still working full time it may be a few days.

I am entertaining thoughts of the Disneyland Half and a Coast to Coast medal in August...Southern California is an easy hop from here. Registration opens on the 28th so I have a week to decide...

Kristia

4.1 at 9:12 pace, hills day - I think I was trying to outrun the cold. It was 17 with a wind chill of 7, brrrrr!
Yeah...I think I will be lazy and stay in today and maybe the rest of the week. 6 in of snow, 0 degrees with a -12 wind chill. This winter has been tough!

dreamfinder

My first non training run run in like a year. Nice 5k@6:58 pace w/1/2 warm up & cool down. Felt good.

FYI, SteepandCheap has a bunch of "winter trail running" gear on sale here -> http://www.steepandcheap.com/gear-cache/winter-trail-running#?gender=&size=&brand= I use air quotes as a bunch of it is more lifestyle clothes than practical gear, but has some good layers, and some Hoka's at like 40% off (I know a few of you prefer those guys).

JillC LI

Yeah...I think I will be lazy and stay in today and maybe the rest of the week. 6 in of snow, 0 degrees with a -12 wind chill. This winter has been tough!

A foot of snow here, but DS did all the shovelling for moolah. Also 11 below zero with the wind chill here. I just did my 4 mile run on the TM. Not looking for any medals of honor for braving the cold here. At the moment the ball of my foot feels ok. Let's see how it feels in a little while.

bethram

4.1 at 8:35 this morning, not as cold as yesterday - about 8 degrees warmer but the windchill had definitely eased up which helped a lot. I'm glad tomorrow is not a run day, it's supposed to be brutal with below 0 windchill.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom