What did you do?

JillC LI

Geez @joel_maxwell you've been through h#ll lately. What photos! Glad you're feeling better and that you were able to make some of your runs productive.

4.5 miles on the dreadmill this morning. I was hoping for 6 but I think I might have gone insane had I kept going. I don't know how some of you can do long distances on them.

General Hospital episodes :) I can't really handle longer than 1.5 hours on it though.

As for me, 4 miles of speedwork on the TM this morning. Really tough but proud of my pacing.

Sumrdog

So its been an interesting week. Let me indulge you:
Wednesday 22nd: Felt ill so I stayed home from work. Went to the pool and crosstrained
Thursday 23rd: Woke up with 102 and the flu (seasonal). Felt like death. Wished for it too.
Friday 24th: Started the positive thinking with meds to will myself well.
Saturday 25th: Took it easy again
Sunday 26th: Went swimming that night and cross trained again
Monday 27th: Gym workout with extra stuff trying to get back on track. 50K/50mi loom in weeks.
Tuesday 28th: We were supposed to get a dusting of snow and the weather people F'ed it up again. BY 11am, all schools and businesses were closing and the city went into panic mode. We left our office at 2pm and had NO trouble in the 4runner 4x4, however, all the people with 2wheel drives were getting into wrecks and clogging up the arteries of roads. See pics. So, we travelled 50+ miles over 23 hours to get less that 20 miles home. There were times when we were travelling roads with cars that had slide down hills into creeks, over turned vehicles, destroyed vehicles etc. We truly master roads that had destroyed other vehicles. It was an adventure... and I hated walking 6 miles in my dress shoes form work. Never again will I be without a set of running clothes. The first thing I did when I got home was hug my kids built a snowman, then put my Hoka's on and went running.
Thursday 30th: This morning I woke up and went to get my 4runner. I couldnt get down the street to my house, see pic, and so I made it fun. Now to the pics.

When we get snow, it turns to sheets of ice. These are all abandoned cars, on 1 street... in a city of thousands.
View attachment 44870

This was my main hwy to get to my house. Again, I could have traversed it no problem.
View attachment 44871

This is how much we travelled with multiple dead ends and back and fourths....... pains me.
View attachment 44869

We reached the top of double oak mtn. The 4runner would stay here for the night. Sorry sweat girl.
View attachment 44872

This morning in 8degree temps... why not run to your vehicle 6 miles away.
View attachment 44873

Instead of running up the highway, why not run the power line trails. Better leg work.
View attachment 44874

So, Birmingham is thawing and returning to normal, but once again, Ill say that meteorologists suck and they are highly over paid. I texted Nick @Donald Duck a few times from the run. Good to always talk to someone in the same conditions.

Swimming tomorrow.
That is nuts! We got 8 inches of snow yesterday and it was just business as usual...everyone here drives a 4 wheel drive pickup. In the 9 years my daughter has been in school we have never had a snow day...I imagine you guys don't have snowplows and such. I am glad you made it home. That looks awful!

Kristia

@joel_maxwell - Wow! Crazy pictures! The south looks really bad with the ice. We had more snow which caused me to be a bit late for work but nothing major. The cold has been horrible though. Yesterday was -10 at my house which is almost unheard of for this area. I have a 4x4 truck so I don't have any problems with the snow. What kills me, however, are the people that think they can do anything with their 4x4! In the snow the other day, I had a guy pass me on a snow covered road doing about 50 mph (I was going about 40). He was pulling a trailer with a quad on it! I am thankful that the trailer didn't slide and hit me as he was going by! I am looking forward to the 40's and 50's this weekend even if they are calling for some rain!

ChristaH

Yep, we were paralyzed here too. I've been off the grid for a week or so. Hip flexor acting up again. I've ridden the exercise bike and worked out on the elliptical. I'm still gonna give the Rock n Roll in New Orleans a go this weekend. Looks like the weather will be about the same as the WDW Half...warm and muggy with a threat of rain. My strategy is to actually stop at each water stop for 30 - 60 seconds, drink up, take a few beans and then go again. We'll see.

Glad everyone has stayed safe in all the crazy weather!

Sumrdog

Yep, we were paralyzed here too. I've been off the grid for a week or so. Hip flexor acting up again. I've ridden the exercise bike and worked out on the elliptical. I'm still gonna give the Rock n Roll in New Orleans a go this weekend. Looks like the weather will be about the same as the WDW Half...warm and muggy with a threat of rain. My strategy is to actually stop at each water stop for 30 - 60 seconds, drink up, take a few beans and then go again. We'll see.

Glad everyone has stayed safe in all the crazy weather!
Good luck and have fun!!

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
I love how we get that much snow a few times a week and don't even bother plowing, but yet it completely paralyzes the south. Glad you are doing good @joel_maxwell
1) We dont have the equipment to spread aggregate on the roads. It isnt worth the investment I guess 2) We dont have experienced drivers that have driven in snow 3) Snow wasnt the problem, snow hits cement, melts then refreezes into ice. Roads were solid ice from gutter to gutter 4) Then add people in sedan's that think they can drive

At least I whipped its . :D

Sumrdog

1) We dont have the equipment to spread aggregate on the roads. It isnt worth the investment I guess 2) We dont have experienced drivers that have driven in snow 3) Snow wasnt the problem, snow hits cement, melts then refreezes into ice. Roads were solid ice from gutter to gutter 4) Then add people in sedan's that think they can drive

I was thinking about all this reading about what happened in Atlanta too. I think that one of the problems is that the ground isn't frozen. Snow hits our frozen roads and it often times just blows off. Makes sense that it would get that icy. The inexperienced drivers must be pretty scary too!

ChristaH

First impression of Rock n Roll - Toto, we aren't at Disney anymore.

The crowd is definitely different. And as much as we complain about the cost of Disney races, at least we get a few little perks for the money. Something in the gear bag. Free runner tracking. Neither of which I'm getting with RnR.

Kristia

First impression of Rock n Roll - Toto, we aren't at Disney anymore.

The crowd is definitely different. And as much as we complain about the cost of Disney races, at least we get a few little perks for the money. Something in the gear bag. Free runner tracking. Neither of which I'm getting with RnR.
Good luck at your race! I have always enjoyed the Rock-N-Roll race in Philadelphia. I actually thought it came pretty close to if not better than Disney as far as the expo and goodies went. I did notice that we didn't get as much free stuff as we got as in previous years but the vendors had lots of freebies and we got a nice reusable bag for the event. I really like Brooks tech shirts too. I can't remember getting much in the Disney gear bag. It is absurd though that you have to pay for tracking when most races have it for free.

bethram

Atlanta invested in more plows and sand/salt trucks after our ice week in 2011 but they couldn't do much this time because of the gridlock. I need to upload the pictures I took of the difference in conditions on Tuesday afternoon in gridlock and Wednesday morning when the highways were empty. Maybe after my shower :)

bethram

18.4 miles at 9:43, I need to work on my speed. I had to alter my planned route because the sidewalks on the main road I ran out to were still covered in ice and I didn't want to run on the street because I would have been going with the flow of traffic instead of facing it. Regardless I still got my miles in and that's what matters :)

Texas84

6 miles today, balmy 43F. Lows are going to be in the 50's this week. Nice. Tons of people out running this morning. Good to see.

Started training for a 10K in three weeks to get a W&D qualifier. Going to finally beat that magic 1-hour mark this year. I have a few official 1:01 runs.

ChristaH

Good luck at your race! I have always enjoyed the Rock-N-Roll race in Philadelphia. I actually thought it came pretty close to if not better than Disney as far as the expo and goodies went. I did notice that we didn't get as much free stuff as we got as in previous years but the vendors had lots of freebies and we got a nice reusable bag for the event. I really like Brooks tech shirts too. I can't remember getting much in the Disney gear bag. It is absurd though that you have to pay for tracking when most races have it for free.

I admit I did not spend much time at the expo. My non-runner hubby was uninterested and antsy. I am trying to ditch him now so I can go back by myself for a while. ;)

JillC LI

18.4 miles at 9:43, I need to work on my speed. I had to alter my planned route because the sidewalks on the main road I ran out to were still covered in ice and I didn't want to run on the street because I would have been going with the flow of traffic instead of facing it. Regardless I still got my miles in and that's what matters :)

Nice!

Had a great run today. Did my fastest ever 5 miles.

33:29, 6:42 /mi pace

Previous best was 34:14, 6:51 /mi pace.

Great feeling to still be improving.

Super nice!
NYRR Gridiron 4 mile run.

Beat my course PR by 1 second - 31:17. Wasn't going for a PR I just wanted to see where I was training wise and definitely surprised myself. My time for the same race last year was 34:19, I took three whole minutes off in one year, that's what I'd call progress!

More nice!

And good luck @ChristaH !

After sub zero temps last week, it was balmy here in the 40s all weekend. Lucky Superbowlers. Lovely 6 mile run yesterday.

dreamfinder

Sat I tried to kick my behind and see how fast I could do a 10k. Was something on pace for a 43ish, which is about 5 minutes off my current PR. Sun was a half, first 7mi @ 8min pace, last 6.1 at a 7:50ish pace. A bit stiffer today than normal, but that 10k hurt a bit.

Oh I know, it's really no different than the first snow "storm" of the year. Everyone up north freaks out, and starts driving at like 15 on the highway, they completely forgot what snow looks like over the summer.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom