What did you do?

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
Jill, you know everything has a reason. So, I figure, if I am running a 50k in February, and we have to cross 3 creeks that could be knee deep, might as well keep the legs feeling the true effect of this cold temps. Those creeks will be running below freezing temps, and I will be ready. :D Yes, Sam thinks Im nuts and often shakes her head, but she conceded a long time ago when I convinced her, all these weird things Im doing is for a reason. It is to prepare me. She was always worried about "race day" and the long miles etc. I explained to her, race day is a victory lap if you train properly. She even said it Saturday... "wait, you just did long miles this morning, why do you have to run again Sunday night the same mileage" so I am prepared for 50k/50mi (or insert distance here).

Trust me when I say my comments are always encouraging. I respect anyone who gets off the couch and does anything, I just like to see people beat the elements, and not let nature or a 2 year old that wont sleep, beat you.

Yes, I do the finger pumping, but at mile 2, when I could feel my blood tingling up my arm, back into my core, I knew there was no hope. It is fine, Id rather have a warm core then warm fingers.
Sam must hate me... "Well Nick said..."

Mr mom

13.7 miles and it was 14 today with no windchill, wow warmer than Joel's last run, lol I wear gloves and they breathe well. I wear my winter hat too but mostly so that my ear buds stay in. Was warm enough to sweat today and no frozen toes etc.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Sam must hate me... "Well Nick said..."
It sounds something like that. :D

You need better / proper gloves if your hands are sweating. They shouldnt sweat if the gloves' material is sewn and layered with the correct fabrics.
The lycra gloves I have are great to about 30. The thick knitted gloves can handle the 20's, but I should have worn both. I dont have hand gear for 9, since I have never seen 9 degrees and might not for another 10 years.

JillC LI

13.7 miles and it was 14 today with no windchill, wow warmer than Joel's last run, lol I wear gloves and they breathe well. I wear my winter hat too but mostly so that my ear buds stay in. Was warm enough to sweat today and no frozen toes etc.

LOL, it's funny when "14 today with no windchill...warm enough to sweat and no frozen toes" sounds like a rave review!

joel_maxwell

So last night as im getting out of the shower, I say, "Man, I really wish the feeling on the top of my hands would get to 100%". Sam replied, "Well, like an idiot, you go run in 9 degree weather, I dont want to hear it". Like I mentioned to Jill, I told her it is all in prep for "What if race day has those temps".... and she just stared at me with the look. The Sam look. So, I changed the subject, quickly.

;)

Kristia

Just wanted to pop in and say good luck to everyone running this weekend!! Wish I was going but it is kind of a good thing I am not since I am not sure our airports are back to 100% after this bad weather! I know I would be so stressed out.

Haven't done any running in about a week. One of the the horses who is boarded at my house passed away. :( He was an old guy (35 years old) but it was a bit unexpected. Known him for 10 years so it was like one of my own passing. Between him getting sick and the horrid weather, things have been a bit discombobulated here. Hoping to get a run in tomorrow.

@JillC LI - Love your new sig!! Yay!! I was considering DL but ultimately decided on Iceland. I know we will get there sometime probably to run the half! Can't wait to hear about it!

JillC LI

Just wanted to pop in and say good luck to everyone running this weekend!! Wish I was going but it is kind of a good thing I am not since I am not sure our airports are back to 100% after this bad weather! I know I would be so stressed out.

Haven't done any running in about a week. One of the the horses who is boarded at my house passed away. :( He was an old guy (35 years old) but it was a bit unexpected. Known him for 10 years so it was like one of my own passing. Between him getting sick and the horrid weather, things have been a bit discombobulated here. Hoping to get a run in tomorrow.

@JillC LI - Love your new sig!! Yay!! I was considering DL but ultimately decided on Iceland. I know we will get there sometime probably to run the half! Can't wait to hear about it!

I was going to Like your post for your last comment to me, but I didn't want you to think I was Liking the rest of it. So sorry about your horse.

LindsayLoves

Planned - 3m easy

Actual - 3.62 "easy" @8:59/mi. I used hills to slow myself down, the short easy runs are so tough on me mentally. Tomorrow is strength and stretching, Friday off, and Saturday is my first 10k of the year.

Texas84

Nope, nope, nope. Even middle Georgia is too far north for me. My hometown in south Texas is considered tropical. I'm not going outside at 9F and zero wind chill. Nope. I'll get back out tomorrow. Forecast is a balmy 31 at 0500. The water heater pipes finally thawed today. As soon as I felt that hot water it was in to the shower! No more boiling water.

So I ran on the hated treadmill yesterday and today and it was surprisingly, um, easy.

bethram

You need better / proper gloves if your hands are sweating. They shouldnt sweat if the gloves' material is sewn and layered with the correct fabrics.
My sister in law, also a runner, gave me a pair of RoadRunner gloves for Christmas but I haven't used them yet because of my experience with my other gloves. This gives me a good reason to try them out. Thanks!

JillC LI

Last edited:

Sumrdog

We arrived around 1:15am last night were in bed at 2:30am... Yippee! I got up at 7:15 and did a little 2.5 miles around the Boardwalk and Beach Club this am! It's quite humid. I caught the very end of the 10k; literally. I reached the final participant passing in front of the Yacht Club. He looked as if he were using every ounce of sheer will power to finish as he trudged along toward the International Gateway. I didn't feel right running past him. So I just followed behind the sweepers for a few minutes and then decided to reverse direction. I am so happy for that guy, he looked as if he were just starting out on his fitness journey and he did finish. And BTW the 10k course looks like it must have been pretty fun.

We just picked up all our stuff at the expo and it was very manageable. Now for some fun and possibly and afternoon nap! Tomorrow we do the kids races!

joel_maxwell

75 minutes last night or 8.5 miles. I tell ya, this week has been a fun one. Rain run Sunday night, 9 degrees Tuesday run, rain run last night... and I still dont have 100% feeling on the top of my hand that was exposed in that 9 degree run. :mad:

Swimming today. Schedule calls for low miles tomorrow of back to back 6 miles.... and I think not. Probably do 12-15 tomorrow and 10 Sunday.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
5 hour trail run yesterday.

20+ miles this morning in freezing cold rain. Soaked through and never warmed up. Hands completely numb with no feeling. Signs of pre-hypothermia at mile 12. Bonked several times. Shower felt like being burned alive.
Perfect training for the 500 mile. I hope you all follow along again in may ;-)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom