What did you do?

bethram

No No No yall. No treadmills. This is what it is all about. Gotta take the good with the bad, hot and the cold. You will not catch me inside, well, afterwards of course enjoying coffee.

I'd run outside Wednesday and Thursday if I could, but DH will be out of town. In hindsight, I could have run outside this morning but it was supposed to be worse than it actually was. Tomorrow we're expected to have windchill of -15 to -30 so I'm glad it's not a run day for me.

Sumrdog

No No No yall. No treadmills. This is what it is all about. Gotta take the good with the bad, hot and the cold. You will not catch me inside, well, afterwards of course enjoying coffee.

View attachment 42263

Easy for you to say, don't you live in the south? Don't get me wrong, I too hate, hate, hate the treadmill...However where I live in NW Montana, it is sometimes not safe to run on roads completely glazed with 3 inches of hard ice, and snow banks that just keep getting bigger; these country roads have no shoulder to begin with and sidewalks; what are those? I don't mind running in frigid weather, I don't mind any precipitation snow, rain, sleet etc...But what I think I might mind is getting hit by diesel one ton pickup, or tearing my ACL as I dive out of the road and into the forest to avoid getting creamed by an old man whose lost control of his rear wheel drive Oldsmobile, which he has no business driving in winter anyway...but that's another story. So don't judge too harshly, we all do what we must to keep from being injured. ;)

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Joel is enjoying some cold but yeah, his version is still no where near what some of us endure, mind you I still run outside anyway. I'd be running outside with a chill below zero.
9 for us, is like -19 for yall. We never drop below 20 that much. 9 is a first for me.

joel_maxwell

I'd run outside Wednesday and Thursday if I could, but DH will be out of town. In hindsight, I could have run outside this morning but it was supposed to be worse than it actually was. Tomorrow we're expected to have windchill of -15 to -30 so I'm glad it's not a run day for me.
Beth, Id run in that with you if I was close by. Id like to experience that at least once.
Easy for you to say, don't you live in the south? Don't get me wrong, I too hate, hate, hate the treadmill...However where I live in NW Montana, it is sometimes not safe to run on roads completely glazed with 3 inches of hard ice, and snow banks that just keep getting bigger; these country roads have no shoulder to begin with and sidewalks; what are those? I don't mind running in frigid weather, I don't mind any precipitation snow, rain, sleet etc...But what I think I might mind is getting hit by diesel one ton pickup, or tearing my ACL as I dive out of the road and into the forest to avoid getting creamed by an old man whose lost control of his rear wheel drive Oldsmobile, which he has no business driving in winter anyway...but that's another story. So don't judge too harshly, we all do what we must to keep from being injured. ;)
Yes, Alabama. So 9 degrees is unheard of. Besides, I was only referring to a lot of the locals here in Birmingham, and some of you guys on the boards taking it inside due to the temps. Obviously, if you have certain conditions that go along with the cold like ice and major snow, it becomes unsafe, and you have to be smart. Not judging, just encouraging to get out there, dont let the cold beat you.

I swear @JillC LI you would have bundled up and braved the elements. Come on girl! :D

Sumrdog

Beth, Id run in that with you if I was close by. Id like to experience that at least once.
Yes, Alabama. So 9 degrees is unheard of. Besides, I was only referring to a lot of the locals here in Birmingham, and some of you guys on the boards taking it inside due to the temps. Obviously, if you have certain conditions that go along with the cold like ice and major snow, it becomes unsafe, and you have to be smart. Not judging, just encouraging to get out there, dont let the cold beat you.

I swear @JillC LI you would have bundled up and braved the elements. Come on girl! :D

I agree no excuses! (most of the time)

What I am a real baby about is the heat and I am kind of nervous about the 81 degree weather predicted for the marathon on Sunday...That's probably nothing for you guys down south, but for me it may as well be 110! But as I said before I am so excited I will let nothing spoil it!!!

joel_maxwell

Rivers was up 4 times last night, power went out at 4:30am... so needless to say it was a crap night sleep. So why not get up and redeem yourself. First time I have ever run in 9 degrees, feels like -1, and it was awesome. Schedule called for 55 minutes. Dressed perfect and wasnt cold, didnt sweat. Only thing that I didnt plan well was I should have double gloved up. We have a local group of about 5 runners that have a group, Sky's Out, Thighs Out, and no matter what, we run in shorts. Sooooo.

It was a SOTO morning.
SOTO_9.jpg

JillC LI

LOL. Knowing you as I have these past few years, I know you meant your comments in the most encouraging and joking of ways. Hey, I have the treadmill in my basement, and it's boring but not horrible to run on for 3 or 4 miles, so in weather like this (extreme cold or snow or ice), I figure why not use it. If I have a run in my planner that's over 6 miles, that's when I start to consider braving the elements.

As for your run today, SHORTS?!?!?!?! Are you nuts?!?!?!?! What did Sam say to that? And yeah, gotta have warm gloves and constantly pump your fingers to warm them up in weather like that. I have fleece gloves with individual partial fingers covered by a mitten flap that can open so when I eventually do warm up, I can get some air flow.

@Mr mom watch out for that black ice - that's dangerous.

So who else on here is running this weekend - @ChristaH , @Sumrdog ,@imagination30 , @dreamfinder , right?

ps- check out my new signature!!!

Last edited:

LindsayLoves

@joel_maxwell - good for you in the shorts. My legs are fine in the cold but my IT Band does not like it at all, it gets super tight and does not let go. Also no matter how little clothing I wear when I run in the cold I always sweat. Today might be the end of that nonsense...

joel_maxwell

LOL. Knowing you as I have these past few years, I know you meant your comments in the most encouraging and joking of ways. Hey, I have the treadmill in my basement, and it's boring but not horrible to run on for 3 or 4 miles, so in weather like this (extreme cold or snow or ice), I figure why not use it. If I have a run in my planner that's over 6 miles, that's when I start to consider braving the elements.

As for your run today, SHORTS?!?!?!?! Are you nuts?!?!?!?! What did Sam say to that? And yeah, gotta have warm gloves and constantly pump your fingers to warm them up in weather like that. I have fleece gloves with individual partial fingers covered by a mitten flap that can open so when I eventually do warm up, I can get some air flow.
Jill, you know everything has a reason. So, I figure, if I am running a 50k in February, and we have to cross 3 creeks that could be knee deep, might as well keep the legs feeling the true effect of this cold temps. Those creeks will be running below freezing temps, and I will be ready. :D Yes, Sam thinks Im nuts and often shakes her head, but she conceded a long time ago when I convinced her, all these weird things Im doing is for a reason. It is to prepare me. She was always worried about "race day" and the long miles etc. I explained to her, race day is a victory lap if you train properly. She even said it Saturday... "wait, you just did long miles this morning, why do you have to run again Sunday night the same mileage" so I am prepared for 50k/50mi (or insert distance here).

Trust me when I say my comments are always encouraging. I respect anyone who gets off the couch and does anything, I just like to see people beat the elements, and not let nature or a 2 year old that wont sleep, beat you.

Yes, I do the finger pumping, but at mile 2, when I could feel my blood tingling up my arm, back into my core, I knew there was no hope. It is fine, Id rather have a warm core then warm fingers.

LindsayLoves

Planned - 15 min. w/u, 15 min @8:20/mi pace, 10 min c/d,

Actual - 4 mile progression run 36 min. 8:58, 8:47, 8:42, 8:42.

Temp 11 degrees - feels like -8 w/ wind. The middle two miles were face to the wind the entire time, felt like I wasn't moving at all let along able to pick up my pace so I just tried to get in four miles not worrying about the clock. Amazing to see the times based on how my body felt like it was moving, felt like I was running in molasses.

bethram

I can't run in gloves, my hands get too sweaty. I make sure my shirt sleeves are long enough to pull over my hands and I hold the shirt tucked into my fist until I warm up a bit then I alternate with them exposed and tucked in.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
I can't run in gloves, my hands get too sweaty. I make sure my shirt sleeves are long enough to pull over my hands and I hold the shirt tucked into my fist until I warm up a bit then I alternate with them exposed and tucked in.
You need better / proper gloves if your hands are sweating. They shouldnt sweat if the gloves' material is sewn and layered with the correct fabrics.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom