What did you do?

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
3:30am wake up call Saturday morning. Yes, we are crazy. Met my training partners at 4am, headed to Cheaha mtn. Dropped one car off, drove half way to drop supplies, then off to the start 22 miles down. Ran the first 22 miles of the Cheaha 50k course starting about 6am. Im glad I dont pay attention the the weather channel. In the last minute I grabbed an extra long sleeve to go over my compression shirt. WOW. Glad I did. I was perfect temp with the 2 on, and would have been freezing without. 40 at start and windy, supposed to get to 50 and sunny, but as you can see form one of the pics, we never saw sun. It sleeted on us for a while. It was AWESOME. A few creek crossings too. The other photo is the crew crossing a service road and tightening up our shoes for this 4 mile stretch of softball size rocks, all loose, and will rock you. Add wet leaves and rocks, amazing we had no falls.

Got to car frozen, stripped down clothes, changed and then killed a beer.

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

JillC LI

Way to go @joel_maxwell and really cool pics!

Workout yesterday consisted of climbing stairs for the waterslides while dragging innertubes at Great Wolf Lodge. LOL. This morning I did 6 miles outside at 9:53 pace. Was quite a bit colder than I anticipated based on the weather report but I muddled through.

joel_maxwell

@JillC LI Thanks. There was about 3 dozen hunters we saw at our supply drop (Adams Gap) and so we were glad we wore some bright colors. We made sure to talk a bunch too. I dont have a problem with that. :D

a2grafix

What i didn't do was run the St. Jude Memphis Marathon Half Marathon on Saturday. As just like the Dallas Marathon and Half, the St. Jude Memphis committee decided in the best interest of the safety of the runners they canceled Saturday's events due to the arctic plunge and moderate ice storm that impacted Memphis on Dec. 6.

1410730_10152024733862708_1039352467_o.jpg

As soon as the race got scrubbed (starting line temperature of 21-22 with windchill of 4) I called my coworkers at the Air National Guard base and said I would be made available for Saturday drill. I was only going to work Sunday for the air guard in Memphis, but Mother Nature had a cruel sense of timing with this arctic plunge and ice storm. I heard from the race committee that some 1,100 volunteers could not commit and course concern over the sleet and freezing rain factored the runs being pulled.

Defying the cancellation, several marathoners and half marathoners ran an unofficial and modified race Saturday morning as planned.

I still want to run the half marathon and I will, once the weather warms up.

dreamfinder

Damn it's been a while. Hopefully everyone enjoyed their Tofurkey day! Did a local 5k trot, PR'ed it at 20:12. Then flew out to Denver for a week, right in time for their coldest weather ever. (Hit -15 at DIA) In my brilliance, signed up for a half marathon Saturday AM before my flight back. Pretty certain it didn't go above 5 that morning, plus whatever wind and snow mixed in. Pic I sent to the wife to show I was still alive after finishing.
bntykvb.png

Far from being the pace I would normally do, but going from sea level to a mile up, with the weather, I'll take it.

Anyone ever gotten a cortisone shot? Only thing I have heard, it hurts like a ... and I cant imagine between your toes, but if it is still bothering me this weekend, Im going to a podiatrist, telling him I dont have time for this "stuff", and I need it fixed before it gets to were I cant run on it. :D

Had one for knee issues about 12 years ago. Hurt a little bit, but the knee pain went away for a few years.

Mr mom

Damn it's been a while. Hopefully everyone enjoyed their Tofurkey day! Did a local 5k trot, PR'ed it at 20:12. Then flew out to Denver for a week, right in time for their coldest weather ever. (Hit -15 at DIA) In my brilliance, signed up for a half marathon Saturday AM before my flight back. Pretty certain it didn't go above 5 that morning, plus whatever wind and snow mixed in. Pic I sent to the wife to show I was still alive after finishing.
bntykvb.png

Far from being the pace I would normally do, but going from sea level to a mile up, with the weather, I'll take it.

Have runs like that every winter, today was my first ice in the goatee day

joel_maxwell

Never underestimate or take even the smallest stream lightly. Something can always go awry and that is why you film it.

So, let's play a game. Do you think:
a) I fall into water getting soaked or
b) I somehow manage to recover and not get soaked?

Cheaha-Fall.jpg

JillC LI

bntykvb.png

That's some pic! Congrats on the PR.

20+ miles this morning. Got hammered with freezing wind and rain. Took a while to get feeling back in my face and thighs (shorts...).

Prepared for tomorrow's icy hell...
View attachment 40702

The latest in running attire! LOL

So Joel, I'm not clear. Didja fall in?

As for me, 4.5 miles on treadmill just now.

bethram

4 miles on the TM this morning at 9:21 pace. I was planning to run in WDW yesterday morning but decided sleep was more important since I hadn't gotten much and I was driving back home alone.

We had a great trip, but too short. We managed to pull off the surprise and DD(10) was not upset about missing her last Christmas Program like we were afraid she would be. DH was going to buy me a RunDisney shirt for my birthday from the store in DTD, but we ran out of time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom