What did you do?

Mr mom

Ran 2.45 miles Wednesday through Downtown Memphis, in low 40s temps. Not too bad. Shorts, 3 tek shirts, stocking cap, gloves. Felt good. About 30 minutes, nothing fancy. Sunny, felt the warmth on my legs when I ran in the sun. Big difference last time I ran - last Wednesday, low 70s, humid.

Considering running my unofficial St. Jude Memphis Half Marathon after it was scrubbed due to ice and cold and loss of over 1,000 volunteers and first responders due to the ice storm. Going to have to modify the half route a bit as part of the route runs through St. Jude's campus and the finish line is inside the Redbirds ballpark. Should be in the low 40s with some rain.

Hahaha, I'd really hate to see you trying to run up here. We just hit a cold snap it was 1.4 degrees today and with wind chill it was -13. I wore one short sleeved shirt, my shell jacket, warm up pants, a scarf, a toque and a pair of gloves.

Mr mom

As already stated it was a cold run, took 5 miles before the numbness went out of my toes and fingers. By mile 7 I finally started to feel warm. and mile 9 before sweat came in. Anyway a nice solid 11.1 miles.

Texas84

4.12 painful miles on the treadmill this morning, I wanted to stop after the first mile but kept going. I really hope the rain holds off and I can get a good, long run in tomorrow morning. 9:13 pace.

Looking bad for us in Georgia. But the forecast has removed the thunder and lightning so I'll be out there.

As already stated it was a cold run, took 5 miles before the numbness went out of my toes and fingers. By mile 7 I finally started to feel warm. and mile 9 before sweat came in. Anyway a nice solid 11.1 miles.

NopeNopeNope. I do not run below 20. :coldfeet:

a2grafix

Hahaha, I'd really hate to see you trying to run up here. We just hit a cold snap it was 1.4 degrees today and with wind chill it was -13. I wore one short sleeved shirt, my shell jacket, warm up pants, a scarf, a toque and a pair of gloves.

The strangest thing @Mr mom is that I used to live in Anchorage for military. I remember in winter time we had a squadron snow day at one of the chalets on base and we played snowshoe wiffle ball or softball. Since it was around 20-23F, I wore my trusty Cleveland Indians windbreaker, battling gloves and a ballcap.

Depends on where you live, you adjust to the elements. I'm originally from northern Ohio and I know cold, sub-zero cold, but after living for a while in the southern part of the United States where on average Memphis receives 5 inches of snow a year but significant frost and ice, I have been able to adapt and take it in stride. But not feeling this cold (in the 20s and 30s in December) and a steady 10-20mph northern wind takes some getting used to. Of course what Joe said, I do and sometimes don't really like running in the spring, summer and fall in The South when it's in the 90s and humidity is in the upper 90s, or I do my runs after sunset after midnight because it's the coolest part of the day, if you count 83F at 1-2am cool.

Weather is all relative and I adjust. I am playing around with running outfit combinations so I don't overdo it or don't catch too cold when I run during the winter season. I think one short-sleeved tek shirt under a long-sleeved tek shirt should do the trick on winter runs above 40F. That's what I wore during my first-ever half marathon in January 2013.

bethram

11.2 miles at 9:29 squeaked in before it got too gross. It was dry for the first 7.5 miles and I was soggy by the last mile. It felt good to be back outside and off the treadmill and I was somewhat surprised that it was relatively easy to run 11 miles when I hadn't run 10 miles straight since three weeks ago. I guess all that walking in the parks last weekend counted for something :p

Texas84

Got my 9 miles in before the Georgia rain. Had a few sprinkles that didn't last. Saw a storm in the distance that moved away. Perfect weather for running. 50F and overcast. Slight breeze. Capped a 20-mile week. 3-5-3-9.

I start my long runs at a local high school. Been going there for about a year and just noticed my parking spot. :)
WP_20131207_001.jpg

ChristaH

It's been a rough couple of weeks for me. Went for my normal 5 mile run on the TM last Tuesday and had to quit at 3 because my right hip and glute were hurting so bad. No idea why. Then I could barely walk on Wednesday. I rested and did my PT exercises for 10 days. I ran yesterday for the first time and was able to do 5 miles. They were slow miles and I felt like I was running in peanut butter for the first couple of miles, but eventually got my rhythm and finished. Not too much pain and a little sore today, but should be able to try 8 miles tomorrow. This is not what I wanted to be dealing with four weeks before my first half marathon. Plus I'm a bit demotivated since WDW did not accept my 10-hour-late proof of time and I'm in the very last corral. Nothing like having to walk the first mile or more after training for over 5 months. I'm in a funk and need to get my head back on straight! Reading through this thread helps.

Sumrdog

It finally quit snowing and warmed up to the thirties so I could run outside! My road is covered in snowpack it was kind of like running in wet sand. Anyway my goal today was 15 miles and unfortunately just as I was wrapping up a really pleasant four miles I started getting a wicked sharp pain up the back of my left leg along my Achilles...I walked for a bit and it was gone but every time I would start up running again it was there with each step. So I stopped. I am hoping that the slippery roads just caused something to cramp up. I guess I will attempt my run again tomorrow on the treadmill before work :(

JillC LI

It finally quit snowing and warmed up to the thirties so I could run outside! My road is covered in snowpack it was kind of like running in wet sand. Anyway my goal today was 15 miles and unfortunately just as I was wrapping up a really pleasant four miles I started getting a wicked sharp pain up the back of my left leg along my Achilles...I walked for a bit and it was gone but every time I would start up running again it was there with each step. So I stopped. I am hoping that the slippery roads just caused something to cramp up. I guess I will attempt my run again tomorrow on the treadmill before work :(

You might have been doing something to compensate for the slippery surface that caused the pain. Hopefully it will stop on normal ground.

ChristaH

Thankful for muscle memory and a good training base! 10 strong miles plus 1 slow crampy mile, but by then, I was determined to do 11. And only 1 minute slower than the last time I ran 11 miles. I ignored the little bit of pain in my glute, because @joel_maxwell and @Donald Duck said it doesn't really exist. Not feeling too bad now. Sore calves but my hips feel fine. And best of all, the funk is gone.

Glad that things are starting to thaw out for some of you and you are getting to run outside. It's perfect running weather here...mid-40's to low 50's.

Sumrdog

Thankful for muscle memory and a good training base! 10 strong miles plus 1 slow crampy mile, but by then, I was determined to do 11. And only 1 minute slower than the last time I ran 11 miles. I ignored the little bit of pain in my glute, because @joel_maxwell and @Donald Duck said it doesn't really exist. Not feeling too bad now. Sore calves but my hips feel fine. And best of all, the funk is gone.

Glad that things are starting to thaw out for some of you and you are getting to run outside. It's perfect running weather here...mid-40's to low 50's.
So happy to hear your funk is gone!

a2grafix

Plus I'm a bit demotivated since WDW did not accept my 10-hour-late proof of time and I'm in the very last corral. Nothing like having to walk the first mile or more after training for over 5 months. I'm in a funk and need to get my head back on straight! Reading through this thread helps.

Everyone has good runs and bad runs. It's a combination of things. Good luck in getting your groove back.

As for the WDW proof of time for corral placement, I believe all is not lost. I believe you can still show proof of time at the expo and I'm pretty sure runDisney can place you where you should be. Just go to the expo as normal, get your bib, grab your race packet, and bring a copy of proof of time. I'm not sure exactly where you need to go, but it would be at the information desk. Don't worry you won't be in one of the last corrals. If you say you have proof of time I am sure runDisney can change your corral. I saw them do it for runners at the Disneyland Half and Wine and Dine half -- two runners in different corrals, and the other runner being placed in the slower corral to be with their friend.

Good luck.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom