What did you do?

JillC LI

Im back on the grid from pacing at the Pinhoti. I learned a lot of what to do, and what not to do. Unfortunately, the guy I was pacing for 20 miles was doomed to fail before it started. He just didnt plan well, and was still out the night before till 11ish. He showed up at mile 45 60-90 minutes early, which isnt good, and 3 Aid Stations later, he was down and we were waiting on the ambulance. He was severely dehydrated and tired. You can lead a horse to water, but cant make it drink. I constantly told him on the uphills to drink. We would get to a AS and his handhelds would be almost full. That 20 mile section should have taken him 5hours and 30 minutes, but we finished that section in 7 hours and some change. I was very scared for awhile that he was going to shut down and collaspe in the last 2 miles.

I learned a lot. Especially, Im not going to pace anyone that I dont know and who hasn't attempted a 100 before. Its dangerous regardless, but when you dont know the person all that well, their ques, mannerisms personality, etc, it gets awkward when you are in "Supportive D Mode" to get him 2 miles to safety.

Oh well. Good experience and had fun with some friends. Beautiful course. So proud this is in Alabama... granted, the finish is in an armpit. LOL

Tricky situation for you but good for you for doing all you could and completing that 20 miles!

Congrats to all the racers this weekend and to those that completed training runs in the elements. I did 7.5 miles Sunday morning in the same wicked wind that the NYC Marathoners faced. I'm sure they were freezing their petuties off waiting at Fort Wadsworth so long in the morning, but at least the weather got nicer throughout the race. It was fun watching some of the coverage on TV. Always brings back good memories.

a2grafix

Great weekend all around to be back in uniform with the Air National Guard. A day after getting my flu shot and thanking the time gods for the extra hour of sleep, ran a 28:38 in the second annual Memphis Air National Guard 5K Sunday afternoon in support of Honor Air Mid-South. And I would do it again in a heartbeat, minus the flu shot.

5K was scheduled for October drill weekend but because of the budget impasse and partial government shutdown, drill was canceled and the run was postponed until Sunday. Half the course was chilly because the sun late in the afternoon in the sky and about to set due to the time change. Perfectly blue skies, 61-62F. After the first lap, which took us onto the flightline and near the active runway, where FedEx carrier after FedEX carrier departed for destinations unknown, I reached the halfway point. I was listening to my music and I swear I was on pace to run the 5K in 25 minutes. Must have been the competitive nature between my fellow airmen. Great run.

Top 3 male finishers 19-21 minutes, all from security forces. Top 3 women placed between 27-29 minutes.

2013-11-03_15-12-25_580.jpg

bethram

Im back on the grid from pacing at the Pinhoti. I learned a lot of what to do, and what not to do. Unfortunately, the guy I was pacing for 20 miles was doomed to fail before it started. He just didnt plan well, and was still out the night before till 11ish. He showed up at mile 45 60-90 minutes early, which isnt good, and 3 Aid Stations later, he was down and we were waiting on the ambulance. He was severely dehydrated and tired. You can lead a horse to water, but cant make it drink. I constantly told him on the uphills to drink. We would get to a AS and his handhelds would be almost full. That 20 mile section should have taken him 5hours and 30 minutes, but we finished that section in 7 hours and some change. I was very scared for awhile that he was going to shut down and collaspe in the last 2 miles.

I learned a lot. Especially, Im not going to pace anyone that I dont know and who hasn't attempted a 100 before. Its dangerous regardless, but when you dont know the person all that well, their ques, mannerisms personality, etc, it gets awkward when you are in "Supportive D Mode" to get him 2 miles to safety.

Oh well. Good experience and had fun with some friends. Beautiful course. So proud this is in Alabama... granted, the finish is in an armpit. LOL

The husband of one of my co-workers ran Pinhoti, he finished and it was definitely not his first hundred miler.

I'm glad you had a good learning experience!

JillC LI

4 miles on the TM this morning. Reps of 3/4 mile at 8:40 pace. Wanted to die by the end but I finished the last rep. Glad to have burned a few extra calories today since tonight we celebrate DD's 12th birthday with my homemade birthday cake.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
The husband of one of my co-workers ran Pinhoti, he finished and it was definitely not his first hundred miler.

I'm glad you had a good learning experience!
Always Always learn from everything. I learned from peoples victory's and people failures. (even though failures isnt a fair word.... just bad decisions)

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
5 mile easy run today. As I discussed with Nick, I am surprised at how tight I was yesterday and today after Saturday night. Due to a lot of hiking and walking, my 20 mile trail time on that course double to 7 hours. As nick confirmed, I still benefitted greatly from not running so much, but being on my feet for 7 hours actively moving as a pacer.

Mr mom

A little over 7 miles today, 23 degrees, finally broke down and put gloves on. last week was really busy and I only managed a handful of runs, hope for better this week.

JillC LI

A little over 7 miles today, 23 degrees, finally broke down and put gloves on. last week was really busy and I only managed a handful of runs, hope for better this week.

Yeah, I broke out the gloves this past weekend too. Just the light ones. And I removed them half way through the run. But I was glad I had them to start out.

bethram

I'm officially registered for my first marathon :eek:

I also registered DH, DD, and myself for the Atlanta Hot Chocolate in January. DH and DD are running the 5k, I'm doing the 15k. Hopefully I'll do better than I did last year and it will be good practice on Atlanta's hills for the marathon in March.

JillC LI

I'm officially registered for my first marathon :eek:

I also registered DH, DD, and myself for the Atlanta Hot Chocolate in January. DH and DD are running the 5k, I'm doing the 15k. Hopefully I'll do better than I did last year and it will be good practice on Atlanta's hills for the marathon in March.

Congratulations! That's a big step. Which marathon?

Kristia

4 miles on the TM this morning. Reps of 3/4 mile at 8:40 pace. Wanted to die by the end but I finished the last rep. Glad to have burned a few extra calories today since tonight we celebrate DD's 12th birthday with my homemade birthday cake.
Happy Birthday to your daughter!

ChristaH

Lots of things to celebrate around here today! Birthdays, first marathons, demon-shaking....a good day all around!

I ran 4 miles on the treadmill at the gym. The shoe drama continues. This time I am trying out this year's version of my old shoes and have the same tingly toes problem after about 3 miles. I give up. Tonight I found two pairs of the old ones on Amazon and eBay and bought them both.

Sumrdog

I snuck in a quick 3.2 on the treadmill while my daughter was at tap, I HATE the treadmill :banghead:...But blowing snow and total darkness at 4:45pm because of daylight savings made it the safest option. I did speed intervals...Not my favorite and I never get any further any faster than I would've, had I just run my usual slow and steady pace the whole 3 miles. This is because I get so dang tired running fast (well fast for me) that I have to take a 1-2 minute walk break at the end of every mile. But according to my training plan I needed to do some speed intervals this week. So I did them. Done.

One thing that I did find entertaining was the after school crowd at the gym, all these fit little 16 year old girls came in and hopped on the TM's in the row in front of me and set their pace at about 8 or 9 MPH and kept it up for about 3-4 minutes until they almost broke a sweat and then they were done. I know I shouldn't really pay attention to what everyone else is doing on the cardio floor but honestly there just isn't much that's interesting to do at the gym when I am slugging it out on the TM besides surreptitious people watching...Anyway the teenagers were all chatty and socializing and it seemed that as soon as they were too winded to continue talking was when they stopped the machines. My 11 year old has a similar work ethic, she's all gung ho at the start of things but as soon as it gets hard, she wants to move on. Kids :rolleyes:...

Hopefully tomorrow I can take my chances running outside after work. No.More.Excuses...That is my mantra for the next 67 days.

Sumrdog

Lots of things to celebrate around here today! Birthdays, first marathons, demon-shaking....a good day all around!

I ran 4 miles on the treadmill at the gym. The shoe drama continues. This time I am trying out this year's version of my old shoes and have the same tingly toes problem after about 3 miles. I give up. Tonight I found two pairs of the old ones on Amazon and eBay and bought them both.

I have been very fortunate in the shoe department, the Brooks Ghost seem to be the shoe for me, I am on my 2nd pair and about to get a third...I can't imagine how frustrating it is to not have a good shoe, I hope you get it figured out...I hate tingly anything when I am running.

bethram

4.1 miles running the big hill in my neighborhood four times at 8:57 pace. I almost didn't run this morning because DS woke me up at 3am throwing up from coughing so much. I knew I'd have a harder time getting a long run in this weekend if I didn't get the miles in during the week so I sucked it up and got out of bed.

Mr mom

freakin heel is acting up again, I really thought this was behind me but as much as I want to run through the pain I will take today off. The last time I ran through it I ended up not running for about 2 weeks, ugh.

Mr mom

freakin heel is acting up again, I really thought this was behind me but as much as I want to run through the pain I will take today off. The last time I ran through it I ended up not running for about 2 weeks, ugh.

I massaged it, and limbered up etc and said the hell with it, put in 7.2 miles... here is hoping I did not make a mistake. I just could not sit and not run, it was not in me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom