What did you do?

fmingo36

The show was taped in advance and airs on Sunday. She told us we can listen online so if she doesn't come in and provide the info, I will come back and post it.

Question for everyone: do you think a person who would request a finisher medal for a race they didn't finish would be satisfied by a smaller participant medal?

We already know that most people will finish so there is no issue there, and we know that many who don't finish will not request or want the medal. That leaves the group who protested enough to change policy.

Doug,
You know my thoughts on the deserves a finisher medal. I can still feel steam coming out of my ears after the discussion on the RunDisney FB after the TOT race.
If Disney wants to provide a participant medal I think it's fine. It could be generic for all the races--not necessarily race specific so it would be more cost effective for Disney.

I would really love to know how other races deal with this issue.

Enjoy P90X - it's great!!
Thanks. I can't wait to start it.

Kristia

3 miles @ 10:18 pace tonight. I can deal with cold but I really hate the time change. I try to wait till Dan gets home from work but that means running in the dark. Once I get out there, I am fine and feel good but dragging myself off the couch and out into the dark is tough.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
The show was taped in advance and airs on Sunday. She told us we can listen online so if she doesn't come in and provide the info, I will come back and post it.

Question for everyone: do you think a person who would request a finisher medal for a race they didn't finish would be satisfied by a smaller participant medal?

We already know that most people will finish so there is no issue there, and we know that many who don't finish will not request or want the medal. That leaves the group who protested enough to change policy.
I think that a few things would have to change. 1) In reference to the ToT and other events, the medals would have to say "Finisher" which i dont think they did. 2) That would set up the situation for runners that dropped out (for whatever reason) to get a "Participant" medal which would be a generic specific event medal or maybe a runDisney generic medal that is like the 5k medals made of hard plastic.

I know I got long winded on Erin thread via FB, but I'll keep it simple here. I think that ALL events that are qualifying events or events that are a normal "marathon weekend" at WDW or any other event nation wide should remain sacred to the only finishers get a medal. If runDisney wanted to make the secondary events (ToT, Princess, E:C and arguably the W&D - not sure on this one) have a finisher medal for these and a participant medal, that is there business in trying to promote the sport of running and encourage people to continue running and get that "finisher" version. Im fine with that.

It is better than giving them a finisher type medal for not finishing. Lets stay clear that i would never let myself of teach my kids that it is ok to get rewarded for something that you didnt earn, so I know it comes off contradictory when I have an opinion above, but it is a compromise to try and keep people that are on the fringe of success and failure trying again and again to get over that hump. We dont know there situation, and quite possibly, a simple gesture of encouragement might get them over that hump so they could one day have the confidence, desire and passion to get that half or marathon "finisher" medal.

It is a great discussion. I would also say that if runDisney decided to make it an all or nothing, Im fine with that too, but they would need to put "finisher" on the medal to make it clear.

Doug,
You know my thoughts on the deserves a finisher medal. I can still feel steam coming out of my ears after the discussion on the RunDisney FB after the TOT race.
If Disney wants to provide a participant medal I think it's fine. It could be generic for all the races--not necessarily race specific so it would be more cost effective for Disney.

I would really love to know how other races deal with this issue.

Thanks. I can't wait to start it.
Yep, the runDisney logo on a plastic medal that says "I participated in a runDisney event! would be a nice thing.

joel_maxwell

5.5 miles this morning. No speed work, but I NS it instead. 43 and gorgeous.

I started a habit about a year ago of adding .25-.5 to anything the schedule says. Think about it, you know that feeling when your watch chimes and says the final mile (insert distance here of whatever race you are in) and you should only have .1 or .2 to go.... but you still have .5 possibly due to wide turns and traffic. That use to kill me. So, I added this distance to all runs so mentally I can get use to it. Just a little OCD for this Thursday morning. ;)

LindsayLoves

I read a blog recap of a woman who was doing the Goofy Challenge a few years back. She was a larger woman and really trained to make it just under the cut for both events. She got swept off the marathon course but was given the marathon medal for her participation, however she was not given the Goofy medal because she did not complete the Goofy Challenge. I think Disney wants to make people happy and coming back for the races and if that means giving people who did not complete the race a medal then they'll do just that.

dreamfinder

It is a finisher medal. Not a I paid the entrance fee cause I wanted the shirt and thought the medal looked cool and then hung out the couch eating bon bons instead of training medal. There are people that drag themselves across the finish line in pain and agony just to be able to say they did it and to proudly wear the medal. If they are going to pass them out to anyone who asks, why bother holding the race? Stick a medal and a shirt in a plastic baggy, and then sell em in the gift stores. Photopass can set up a backdrop and have people pose holding the medal so they can get a "I did it!" pic to hand on the wall to show everyone. They got the shirt, that's their "I paid the entrance fee award", keep something for those who finish. As I'm sure that plenty of people on this board can attest to, ANYONE can legitimately finish the race if they put their mind to it. Moving for 7 hours may not be a walk in the park, but that's why it's called a marathon, and not a walk.

One of the things that I like about running vs team sports is that when I get a medal or a trophy, it's because I earned it. Not the other 8 or 10 guys on the field, but me. I may have not won, but damn it I did more cardio/exercise finishing that race than most of America does in a month. Don't turn running into a kids sport where everyone gets something just for showing up.

Beyond that, more cross training today. Hoping to be able to return to almost normal for my tempo run on Saturday.

GoofyRacer11

So yesterday was one of the hardest Cross-Fit WODs I have ever done. The warmup was 4 rounds of 5 pullups, 10 pushups, and 15 squats. The WOD itself was 4 rounds of a 400 meter run, 10 burpees w/box jumps, 10 barbell shoulder shrugs, and 10 kettle bell swings. After the first round I started to get exhausted, but kept on pushing myself. I finished the 4 rounds in 15 minutes and 30 seconds. I think the cold messed with my sinuses because I started coughing and it didn't go away until about an hour ago. The post-WOD was 50 medicine ball Russian twists. After all that I decided to work on my deadlifts and ended up reaching another PR. This time it was 185 lbs. Next week I'm shooting to break 200 lbs for my deadlifts.

This morning I ran 5 miles before I left for school and still felt a little sore, but that's to be expected. This weekend I am running a new race in Columbus called The Hot Chocolate 15k, which will be most of my mileage on Sunday. I'm planning on doing 16 altogether.

Witchy Chick

I got a quick run in last night on the TM. 1.3 miles, in 17:25. I might have to start doing some "quick" runs on work mornings. I have more energy when I wake up then trying to run later at night after the kids go to bed. :confused:

JillC LI

Life is finally back to normal for me. Got my telephone/tv/internet service back last night. Recorded General Hospital and watched while I ran on the TM this morning! 4 miles of speedwork: 8 reps of 1/4 mile at 8:25 min pace x 1:30 min at 10 min pace. Felt hard by good.

I got a quick run in last night on the TM. 1.3 miles, in 17:25. I might have to start doing some "quick" runs on work mornings. I have more energy when I wake up then trying to run later at night after the kids go to bed. :confused:

As much as I hate getting out of bed in the morning, I know I will get my workout done that way. Saving it for later in the day requires immense will power on my part to ensure I get it done. How old are your kids?

Witchy Chick

Life is finally back to normal for me. Got my telephone/tv/internet service back last night. Recorded General Hospital and watched while I ran on the TM this morning! 4 miles of speedwork: 8 reps of 1/4 mile at 8:25 min pace x 1:30 min at 10 min pace. Felt hard by good.

Yay for getting your amenities back!!! I don't watch any soaps really (although I used to watch Days a long time ago). I do read Soap Opera Digest like a fiend, though, so I know the ins-and-outs of all the shows. What do you think about AJ being back on GH? And Duke being a "bad guy"?

As much as I hate getting out of bed in the morning, I know I will get my workout done that way. Saving it for later in the day requires immense will power on my part to ensure I get it done. How old are your kids?

My daughter turned 4 in August, and my son will be 3 in January (three weeks after our Marathon trip....whoooo-hooo!!!). They usually go to bed between 8-8:30, and it's tough for me to get motivated for running at that time of night. The past couple of weeks (since the time change), they have been ridiculous at bedtime. For three nights in a row, DS2 was up until nearly 10pm. Leaving his room, "I don't like my bed," "I need to go potty," etc. UGH. It's been driving me crazy -- especially since they are such turds to drag out of bed the next morning. o_O

Oh -- and since DH's Pop is doing much better (might be released to rehab today or tomorrow), I signed us up for the Dazzle Dash on Saturday night. I've got my mom lined up to babysit. :D

JillC LI

Yay for getting your amenities back!!! I don't watch any soaps really (although I used to watch Days a long time ago). I do read Soap Opera Digest like a fiend, though, so I know the ins-and-outs of all the shows. What do you think about AJ being back on GH? And Duke being a "bad guy"?

My daughter turned 4 in August, and my son will be 3 in January (three weeks after our Marathon trip....whoooo-hooo!!!). They usually go to bed between 8-8:30, and it's tough for me to get motivated for running at that time of night. The past couple of weeks (since the time change), they have been ridiculous at bedtime. For three nights in a row, DS2 was up until nearly 10pm. Leaving his room, "I don't like my bed," "I need to go potty," etc. UGH. It's been driving me crazy -- especially since they are such turds to drag out of bed the next morning. o_O

Oh -- and since DH's Pop is doing much better (might be released to rehab today or tomorrow), I signed us up for the Dazzle Dash on Saturday night. I've got my mom lined up to babysit. :D

Well I've been unable to watch GH for over 2 weeks but I caught up with recaps on the web site. I'm glad to see a lot of these "old timers" back on the show. You do know that "bad guy Duke" is not really Duke, right?! LOL

It's tough to get in your runs with kids that age. Mine are 11 and 13 now so it's easier to run even if they're still awake. Shoot for the early mornings and you'll never regret it (except for those first 5 minutes that you are groggily awake!). Enjoy the Dazzle Dash! Sounds like such fun.

joel_maxwell

Getting up and getting it done is the safest way to ensure nothing gets in its way like family drama or weather. Besides, who doesnt like watching your surroundings wake up.
20+ miles this morning.

Missed my 30 miler yesterday due to an idiot contractor.

Shooting for 30 miles tomorrow morning.
Glad to see you going for 30 tomorrow.

Witchy Chick

Well I've been unable to watch GH for over 2 weeks but I caught up with recaps on the web site. I'm glad to see a lot of these "old timers" back on the show. You do know that "bad guy Duke" is not really Duke, right?! LOL

Well, I'm in the midst of reading a Soap Opera Digest, so I'm not totally up to date. But I did just check a GH forum that I look at (very infrequently). I read a reveal there of who "Duke" is. NICE!!!! I'm amazed that TPTB were able to keep that villain return under wraps. And what a villain he is.

It's tough to get in your runs with kids that age. Mine are 11 and 13 now so it's easier to run even if they're still awake. Shoot for the early mornings and you'll never regret it (except for those first 5 minutes that you are groggily awake!). Enjoy the Dazzle Dash! Sounds like such fun.

Yeah, I may try some morning runs next week. Dazzle Dash should be fun -- I'll try to get some pictures. I have a Groupon for the "drive through" version of the lights show so we can take the kids later on.

Mickey&Minnie

Chiropractor this morning for my hip and got his go ahead to go running this evening. I felt much better and was able todo 4 miles without any hip pain. I did feel some pain in my arch but I am going to go to the local running store tomorrow to see if I get some inserts to make it better. I hope it isn't anything more serious.:eek:

My plan before I made it to the gym was to do much more than 4 miles but there is a lady who comes and hops on the treadmill quite regularly who walks with a long bench press bar without weights. She sandwiches herself between treadmills and sways. A couple of weeks ago she stumbled and fell off-bar and all. Luck would have it that she hopped on the treadmill next to me. I couldn't risk her falling on me, plus her swaying with the bar kinda wigs me out. So much for a good long run...oh well it felt good to be without hip pain.

joel_maxwell

10 laps - 20 Lengths in the pool this morning. All crawl. Working on better breathing techniques before I try and work on arm leg technique. My theory is, if you arent breathing well in the pool and effectively, you wont swim well even if you had perfect technique.

Long run in the morning. It is funny, I never thought Id get to a place where i would say to myself, "Boy, Im glad i have my run/long run tomorrow, it is the easiest workout of my week"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom