What did you do?

Kristia

Had to give that a Like because you're running my average pace on a bad knee. :D

Joel, nice work. Not sure I'm up to that challenge. I was happy to just survive my last trail run in Georgia.

Today was amazing. Got up at daybreak for 11 miles. Perfect weather, about 60F and low humidity. Nice breeze as the sun came up. It was one of those days where everything clicked. Good energy, legs were awesome, breathing was clear. Almost tripped avoiding a car but recovered nicely. My stomach was doing something funny at mile 9 but it quickly passed. I feel great right now.
Thanks for the like! :) My regular pace is about 11-11:30 on a longer run so it isn't too much faster.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Race roundup - Grete's Great Gallup - 13.1 miles in Central Park. 2:05:44 finish time. My first half marathon!

A very hilly and undulating course which was a bit more than a lot of folks were ready for - the pack really cleared out after the first 10k. People were also WAY bundled up at the start, it was 55 and breezy and a lot of people realized the error of their way about 3 miles in when they were overdressed for the weather. I am glad I braved it out in a tank and shorts for 20 minutes in the corral, it was near 70 and sunny by the time I finished.

I felt great and love the hills on the north side of the park as I run them regularly, my downfall was the last mile, I ran out of gas and could only muster a 9:58 mile. Definitely some tweaking is needed on fuel/hyrdation for the next one and for my long run training.
Nice job! Great finish time.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Ruffner Mtn Crusher proved to be exhausting this year too. As I said before, they moved the event up 1 month. So it was 20 degrees warmer today at start (65) and 75 at finish. That made for slower paces unfortunately. 2:18:00 last year, 2:43:00 this year. All in all, still proud even though I didnt come close to matching my time last year. Here are some stats and pics.

Elevation gain 2,821
Elevation Lost 2,783
Ascended 3,837
Descended 3,943

The downhills really beat the hell out of your ankles with small rocks and tree limbs covering the trail. I know Nick can appreciate that. I ran into a bush and got a contusion on my knee and ran into a tree and tore up my shoulder, but that is all apart of it and comes with the territory. I was actually a little lonely for a little while. I thnk I ran 4-5 miles by myself. That is fine typically, but I needed someone with me to push me like i enjoyed the first 5 miles.

We didnt get the awesome swag handmade clay medals this year. Since a major sponsor was a local micro brewery, we got finisher pilsner glasses with finisher and the event printed on them. Now for the pictures.

Iron Ore "Crusher"

View attachment 28170

Elevation

View attachment 28171

And me enjoying a microbrew in my new pilsner.

View attachment 28172

Thanks for all the support. @Donald Duck , thanks for the text today bro. Really meant a lot.

Nice work Joel!! Great to see you fully back in business after that injury.

joel_maxwell

5 mile run 38mins and 15 miles on the bike.
Very nice Steve. 15 miles on the bike is nice. I am stepping up my cycling on the training since Ive commited to a Tri this spring that is much harder than a mini-sprint Tri. It is a 10K trail run, 2 mile kayak paddle, 33 mile bike. Time to get ready for that! :D
Nice work Joel!! Great to see you fully back in business after that injury.
Thanks Steve. I am floored that my IT band didnt act up at all with that run.

Im glad to be back and looking forward to some new adventures this 2013 with some Tri events.

joel_maxwell

Thanks guys! Today is definitely a stretching day, my flexibility has really taken dive over the past few weeks and the only sore thing is my hamstrings which is interesting because they are never sore after a run. Lots of walking in store for today to keep the muscles loose while I am at work.
You probably pushed harder than normal. Soreness after an event is routine with me most of the time even though I train for 25% more distance than required.

I cant hardly walk, and stairs, forget about it!

Im so sore, that I cant even get on the foam roller yet. Id rather someone stick a knife in my muscles than hit that.

Maybe tomorrow.

dreamfinder

Sat was 17mi at 8:34. Sun was 3mi with my DW outside at whatever pace she picked, then 7mi on the TM. 1mi easy, 5mi at 7:34, then 1mi easy again. Really just trying to stick to the plan.

Mickey&Minnie

Beginning to wonder how I'm going to get through the WDW Marathon at this rate.

You are not the only one, believe me.

As for me I traveled to Baton Rouge to do the Warrior Dash this weekend with a friend who has never raced anything in her life. It was my second time doing a warrior dash run and I really enjoy them. I was going in to the weekend hoping to improve my time but that was quickly shot down when I learned it was expected by my friend that I would stick with her thru the whole thing despite the fact she hasn't trained at all for the past 4 months that she knew we were going to do this. We walked almost entirely and she skipped several obstacles....finishing time 1:27:35 yeah that is in hours/minutes/seconds. :eek:
Today I get back on track for marathon training to clear my head!

joel_maxwell

You are not the only one, believe me.

As for me I traveled to Baton Rouge to do the Warrior Dash this weekend with a friend who has never raced anything in her life. It was my second time doing a warrior dash run and I really enjoy them. I was going in to the weekend hoping to improve my time but that was quickly shot down when I learned it was expected by my friend that I would stick with her thru the whole thing despite the fact she hasn't trained at all for the past 4 months that she knew we were going to do this. We walked almost entirely and she skipped several obstacles....finishing time 1:27:35 yeah that is in hours/minutes/seconds. :eek:
Today I get back on track for marathon training to clear my head!
Negative... LOL, Ill see you at the finish. Especially if they hadnt trained. If they had trained and were busting their butts, yes, I would hang back. I wouldnt sabotage a good strong finish that I had been working towards because my friend hadnt.

Maybe you are a better friend than I am. ;)

Mr mom

Negative... LOL, Ill see you at the finish. Especially if they hadnt trained. If they had trained and were busting their butts, yes, I would hang back. I wouldnt sabotage a good strong finish that I had been working towards because my friend hadnt.

Maybe you are a better friend than I am. ;)

No, I'd say sorry gotta go too, put in all that training time etc and then walk, nope, I won't waste all my hard work, especially when I know just how hard training can be for some events.

As for today, a good strong start to my running week... 16.4 miles this morning plus my full workout, temp has spiked up to the 60's this week, felt balmy,lol

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
25 miles this morning (oh, ok, just under).

Saw this old man hunched over and shuffling along at my 3 mile mark. He had just started. I ran to my turn around point, started running back and he was at my 8.50 mile marker. He asked me the time and how many miles it was back to where we first saw each other. I told him and he seemed happy about that. I told him he was doing awsome, and hes says with a big grin, "Oh, I'm just 75..." NO EXCUSES.

Anyway, I asked if he needed water or food, but he declined, thanking me. That got my head out of the gutter for my return home.

joel_maxwell

Saw this old man hunched over and shuffling along at my 3 mile mark. He had just started. I ran to my turn around point, started running back and he was at my 8.50 mile marker. He asked me the time and how many miles it was back to where we first saw each other. I told him and he seemed happy about that. I told him he was doing awsome, and hes says with a big grin, "Oh, I'm just 75..." NO EXCUSES.

Anyway, I asked if he needed water or food, but he declined, thanking me. That got my head out of the gutter for my return home.
I triple like this. Wow. It really makes you want to high five people like this and not that you need or deserve props (since we should just do this anyway) but offering him supplies in case he needed was the runners code of what to do.

We went to a local pumpkin patch this weekend with our girls. We do it every year. I looked at Sam half way through our experience this year with amazement. She and I were in the extreme minority of people that were over weight or obese. I swear, it was 1 in 4 were in descent looking shape and had fitting clothes. I was amazed.

Nice job Mr. 75 year old and to all of us. Get off that couch and choose to be fit!

imagination30

3. 45 at nice and breeze 75 degrees , and a Pr for me to day .. with a 7:55 pace... whooo!! .. ready to kick butt on sat.. , hit 3 miles at 22:39 . so hope i can keep the momentum going into the race sat!

Texas84

10 miles today. I've been in a real slump ever since the DL race. I ran the whole 13.1 miles, but now it seems like I can't go 5 miles without walking anymore. Don't know what happened. Beginning to wonder how I'm going to get through the WDW Marathon at this rate.
Slumps happen. You'll be fine. No shame in an occasional walk break.

Mr mom

Good on that old dude, we have a few 60+ folks around here running but in Toronto there is a guy who never started running until late in life, he is 99 at the moment and is training to run a marathon when he turns 100.

Mr mom

I triple like this. Wow. It really makes you want to high five people like this and not that you need or deserve props (since we should just do this anyway) but offering him supplies in case he needed was the runners code of what to do.

We went to a local pumpkin patch this weekend with our girls. We do it every year. I looked at Sam half way through our experience this year with amazement. She and I were in the extreme minority of people that were over weight or obese. I swear, it was 1 in 4 were in descent looking shape and had fitting clothes. I was amazed.

Nice job Mr. 75 year old and to all of us. Get off that couch and choose to be fit!

I notice a lot of kids packing the pounds on these days too. Our country's obesity problem is not as bad as the states but it is getting there, I never cease to be amazed at how many folks are overweight when I go on trips to the states, mind you I love the portion sizes and prices at restaurants when I am down there, I burn it off though,lol.

Good day for me though, followed up yesterday's run with 11.4 today plus my full workout

Witchy Chick

Haven't checked in (or run) in quite a while. Had some knee issues (again :mad:) and was just absolutely consumed by watching my beloved Baltimore Orioles the past couple of weeks. They got bounced from the playoffs last Friday, but I am happy. It was a great year for my boys. :)

I'm signed up for a local 5K on Oct 27, so I am getting back into things big-time. Did 1.7 miles on the TM Sunday night in 23 mins or so. Hitting it again tonight (although I have to share the TM with my husband). Hubs is in his "taper" week for marathon training. I don't remember if I mentioned it or not, but he won the lottery for the NY marathon. We're headed to NYC in about 3 weeks for him to run that Marathon. He did the Baltimore half-marathon this past weekend (essentially a training run for him, but he got a medal out of it -- LOL).

Good on that old dude, we have a few 60+ folks around here running but in Toronto there is a guy who never started running until late in life, he is 99 at the moment and is training to run a marathon when he turns 100.

WOW. That is awesome.

I hope everyone is doing well. I'll try to check in more often. ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom