What did you do?

JillC LI

Training program from "Run Less, Run Faster" uses 3 different "key" runs each week along with 2 cross training days. Key run 1 tends to be shorter distances, but at varying paces. Key run 2 is a tempo run, so basically at your predicted pace, but mid distance. Key run 3 is a longer run at a slower pace. The Key run 1 yesterday was listed as a 10 minute warm up, 4 800 meters at a 3:09 pace, with a 2 minute Rest Interval (RI) between each 800m, then 10 minute cool down. (The TMs at the gym are in miles, so I cheat and convert 800 meters into a half mile, close enough). Warm up and cool down are supposed to start off at a reasonable pace, and then slowly increase as you get towards the end so you are close to the interval pace, then do the inverse after you finish the intervals. The RI period is supposed to be a jog type scenario, keep moving, but slow down enough to catch your breath. There is another key run in a few weeks that is something like 1200 at A pace, RI, 1000 at B pace, RI, 800 at C pace, RI, 600 at D pace, RI, 400 at E pace. With each new shorter distance, the pace picks up a bit. They really push the muscle variation in the speedwork days to help freak out your muscles so the fast twitch works better.

I used this training program last year to train for a PR on a 5K. I had to do some calculations to customize the training schedules to my level, but I created a training program that was really tough but just doable for me. In the end, I PR'd by far more than my goal of sub-28 min and finished in 26:52 min. I like the speed workouts I created so I still do them once per week.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
No trails today, but I did get in just under 25 miles this morning, after 31 miles (ok, 30.90 miles) yesterday.

My knees were shot, my head wasn't in it, it was humid and soggy...which means I loved every second of it. The harder, the more difficult, the more reason for you to give up, the better. Only a challenge will make you stronger and better. Sorry for the little rant, but certain people this week really p----d me off and their attitude of "just get by," "don't want to work hard" and "want the easy way." That's BS.

Anway, trails tomorrow for sure with steep inclines, rocks, roots, and mud.

DWG 50k on Nov 10. I was warned that there is no relief from jagged, sharp rocks for the entire course, which are steep hills of course. Expect blood. Ok, I'll be wearing a full-face helmet so I don't crack my skull open. Bring it.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
No trails today, but I did get in just under 25 miles this morning, after 31 miles (ok, 30.90 miles) yesterday.

My knees were shot, my head wasn't in it, it was humid and soggy...which means I loved every second of it. The harder, the more difficult, the more reason for you to give up, the better. Only a challenge will make you stronger and better. Sorry for the little rant, but certain people this week really p----d me off and their attitude of "just get by," "don't want to work hard" and "want the easy way." That's BS.

Anway, trails tomorrow for sure with steep inclines, rocks, roots, and mud.

DWG 50k on Nov 10. I was warned that there is no relief from jagged, sharp rocks for the entire course, which are steep hills of course. Expect blood. Ok, I'll be wearing a full-face helmet so I don't crack my skull open. Bring it.
Have we gotten our toes did yet?

joel_maxwell

Looks like January will be the date for toenail removal :D I might ask the doc to not give me a local anesthetic so I can feel her ripping them off.
I told sam about you doing this an because she had half of one removed permanently. There was a lot of "recovery" of stuff with blood and puss, and she said, "I hope Nick understands there is a healing process with bleeding and puss and he probably wont be able to run"

*crickets*

I looked back at her and she said, "Ok, normal people wouldnt be able to run". [Nicks Best Compliment Ever!]

LindsayLoves

Just got in 4 miles, have been out of the game for the week with ITB issues and a gnarly cold. I thought I was taking it easy but my split times were 9:35, 9:19, 9:17 and 9:04. Shocked myself there. I guess that's what a healed and rested body will give you.

Now to go home and roooollll that ITB and then once more before I go to bed (which is always the most painful)

joel_maxwell

First run since the TOT10M. 4.5 miles at a 9:28 pace.
Im back tomorrow running. All that walking Sunday and Monday, I just wanted to sleep in for once today. Sleep this past weekend was 5 hours Saturday night, 6 hours Sunday night, 4 hours Tuesday night. I was strugglin yesterday.

So worth it though. ;)

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
I told sam about you doing this an because she had half of one removed permanently. There was a lot of "recovery" of stuff with blood and puss, and she said, "I hope Nick understands there is a healing process with bleeding and puss and he probably wont be able to run"

*crickets*

I looked back at her and she said, "Ok, normal people wouldnt be able to run". [Nicks Best Compliment Ever!]

Sweet, innocent Sam...I lover her concern :D
It will hurt. I plan on bleeding through my socks. I've already cut the toe box off of an old pair of Hokas.
I did a long run way back in April after the NJ100, and I had a toenail that was bothersome. Stopped, took Hoka off, used Swiss Army knife, and good to go. Somewhere on the beaches of of NJ, there is a piece of me...unless a seagull snatched it up ;)

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer

*crickets*

Damn, she knows me so well ;)

Mr mom

Just my 6.4 miles and my workout but definitely ready for a longer run again, after monday I was wondering when I would be ready to push a little bit, hopefully tomorrow.

LindsayLoves

you can thank Joel for that one it wasnt really nick that time!... i bet you too would be fun to hang around!... :D

Oh jeez way to make a girl blush. :oops:
Hopefully we can have an awesome early morning marathon meetup this year, seeing how swell the ToT meet went. If we're lucky we can say goodbye to Nick's toenails while we are there. Now that would be a picture!

JillC LI

Are you serious about the helmet?!?! At this point I put nothing past you.

First run since the TOT10M. 4.5 miles at a 9:28 pace.

Wow, you're getting faster and faster for these everyday runs. Good for you.

Just got in 4 miles, have been out of the game for the week with ITB issues and a gnarly cold. I thought I was taking it easy but my split times were 9:35, 9:19, 9:17 and 9:04. Shocked myself there. I guess that's what a healed and rested body will give you.

Good job to you too!

Today was 7 miles, 1 easy up, 5 @ 7:47, 1 easy down. Had to get up 30 mins earlier, but damn it feels good to have done 7mi before most people are even awake.

I love when I've gotten in a long run before most of the rest of the world - and certainly the rest of my family - is awake.

Just my 6.4 miles and my workout but definitely ready for a longer run again, after monday I was wondering when I would be ready to push a little bit, hopefully tomorrow.

No "just" about it. Good job.

As for me, 3.5 miles on treadmill this morning - 3 reps of .75 miles at 8:40 pace with a 1/4 mile recovery. It sems like my speed workouts are getting a bit easier lately. Not easy but just not as hard as they used to be. I guess that means it's time to ramp up the workouts. Maybe this 43 year old has a bit more speed in me yet! :D

Oh and if any of you dare to speak of this disgusting toenail stuff again, I am going to ... well I don't know what I'm going to do but it might involve vomit. (Beware Joel! Bring up the subject at your own risk! And yes, I know Nick is the instigator.)

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
Oh jeez way to make a girl blush. :oops:
Hopefully we can have an awesome early morning marathon meetup this year, seeing how swell the ToT meet went. If we're lucky we can say goodbye to Nick's toenails while we are there. Now that would be a picture!

Goofy Challenge meet up in January for sure!!
You can see The Machine pur away two Tonga Toasts and beer post-race :D

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
Are you serious about the helmet?!?! At this point I put nothing past you.

Dead serious. A few people are wearing climbing helmets because they smashed their heads the previous year. I'll be sporting a full face carbon fiber helmet with tinted anti-fog lense. I plan on falling hard. I hope I get best blood award without a trip to the ER :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom