What did you do?

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
How does one run at all with trekking poles, let alone 500 miles?

Only for the steep climbs that can't be "run." I use them to create stability going up, pulling myself up and saving my legs. Some people use them on flat surface to help roll the hips through, but I think that's stupid.
McN 500 elevation profile is SICK. No poles? Then I'll be on my hands and knees climbing.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Only for the steep climbs that can't be "run." I use them to create stability going up, pulling myself up and saving my legs. Some people use them on flat surface to help roll the hips through, but I think that's stupid.
McN 500 elevation profile is SICK. No poles? Then I'll be on my hands and knees climbing.
I can imagine an additional benefit. If you slipped, you could catch yourself on you poles instead of a tired leg trying to reach out and stabilize yourself. That is how we tweak a hamstring or knee.

poles = good.

imagination30

i just came in from a 4.27 run @ a 8:54 pace. , with speed work at 5/6 sprint. , plus about 30 push ups .. ( yes nick im kicking tale and taking names later) , ;) oh yes i forgot . i wanted a challange so i picked up a tire , laying beside the road , its been there for 2 days and it had water it and ran with it , until i got to the corner!

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
Just around 25 miles this morning.

Took the new hydration/food vest I've been constructing, to be sewn today. It's BOSS. Taking it for a 30 mile test drive tomorrow.

Mentally difficult runs lately. Wanting the high mileage, but only doing 23-25 mi daily, and it screws my head up. Life, work, appointments gettng in the way, like I'm sure it does for everybody. Totally need to move to France and just run the Alps, and paint. Ah, the life...

Run hard, no excuses.

fmingo36

Took the new hydration/food vest I've been constructing, to be sewn today. It's BOSS. Taking it for a 30 mile test drive tomorrow.

Mentally difficult runs lately. Wanting the high mileage, but only doing 23-25 mi daily, and it screws my head up. Life, work, appointments gettng in the way, like I'm sure it does for everybody. Totally need to move to France and just run the Alps, and paint. Ah, the life...

Run hard, no excuses.

Sounds heavenly! Take me with you. :D

Mr mom

Run hard, no excuses.

No where near what you are doing distance wise but now that the kids are back in school I have more run time to play with, unfortunately a lot of travel coming up and some high level negotiations that mean all nighters, that will put a dent in things for sure.

Texas84

Did the Disneyland Resort power walk this morning with my sister & bro-in-law. Was disappointed to learn they don't go through DCA anymore since Radiator Springs opened. So we did 25 minutes around the hotels and DTD. Still fun to go walk with a group and a CM. We had three nurses in the group so was feeling very safe. :D Then drove back to Vegas and we fly back to Georgia Saturday then start the ToT countdown!

LindsayLoves

Did someone say IT band issues?

Time and stretching... and possibly strengthening will help. Go look up IT band strengthening exercises. I did those for awhile and it seemed to help (if nothing more than mental help). I quit doing them once I started running again since I felt that running, cycling and swimming was enough at the time.

The stretching has helped SO incredibly much over the past few days I am kind of annoyed with myself that it took me that long to figure out what it is. Can't wait to get back out and really let myself fly, the few runs I have allowed myself to have been very slow with lots of walking infused, good to keep my from going bonkers but not the same as really opening it up.

joel_maxwell

Run hard, no excuses.
French Alps + painting + wine = heaven. Ill accompany you.
Did the Disneyland Resort power walk this morning with my sister & bro-in-law. Was disappointed to learn they don't go through DCA anymore since Radiator Springs opened. So we did 25 minutes around the hotels and DTD. Still fun to go walk with a group and a CM. We had three nurses in the group so was feeling very safe. :D Then drove back to Vegas and we fly back to Georgia Saturday then start the ToT countdown!
That sounds like fun.
20 minutes on the stairclimber, followed by an hour of weights.
Bring it sister.
The stretching has helped SO incredibly much over the past few days I am kind of annoyed with myself that it took me that long to figure out what it is. Can't wait to get back out and really let myself fly, the few runs I have allowed myself to have been very slow with lots of walking infused, good to keep my from going bonkers but not the same as really opening it up.
Glad to hear. Stretching... who would have thunk it. ;)

joel_maxwell

10 lengths in the pool this morning. I got up at 5:40 and almost convinced myself not to go bc I needed to rest for my long run tomorrow. Then, that 1% kicked in and made myself go. That 1% is the strongest thing in my body. Stronger than any muscle and my stubbornness.

Something that I have noticed with swimming that is a lot like running. In the first few down and backs, my body freaks out like my lungs and legs do in the first mile of a run. It goes like this mentally:

Running: "Wait, why are we running? Who is chasing us, why are we doing this. Hey, this is your lungs, I need more O2. What the hell. Stop running.... burn burn burn for punishment. We wont make it 1 mile, we are dieing"

Swimming: "Holy cow we are drowning. Wait, why are we in a pool. Abort, swim back to the pool edge IMMEDIATELY. No, No, stop putting your head back in the water and DONT trust that little pocket of air on your right stroke. Panic, shallow breath. Trust no one. Monkeys smell bad. Im swimming in pee. Ahhhhhh"

Something like that. Then... I settle down and it is peaceful, in a work your @ss off kind of way.

Happy Friday.

fmingo36

Running: "Wait, why are we running? Who is chasing us, why are we doing this. Hey, this is your lungs, I need more O2. What the hell. Stop running.... burn burn burn for punishment. We wont make it 1 mile, we are dieing"

Something like that. Then... I settle down and it is peaceful, in a work your @ss off kind of way.

Happy Friday.

Been there-Done that--Bought the t-shirt.

Kristia

10 lengths in the pool this morning. I got up at 5:40 and almost convinced myself not to go bc I needed to rest for my long run tomorrow. Then, that 1% kicked in and made myself go. That 1% is the strongest thing in my body. Stronger than any muscle and my stubbornness.

Something that I have noticed with swimming that is a lot like running. In the first few down and backs, my body freaks out like my lungs and legs do in the first mile of a run. It goes like this mentally:

Swimming: "Holy cow we are drowning. Wait, why are we in a pool. Abort, swim back to the pool edge IMMEDIATELY. No, No, stop putting your head back in the water and DONT trust that little pocket of air on your right stroke. Panic, shallow breath. Trust no one. Monkeys smell bad. Im swimming in pee. Ahhhhhh"

Happy Friday.
Been there-Done that--Bought the t-shirt.
I am so glad I am not the only one that feels like dying as soon as I start! :)

imagination30

pre -run - 30 push ups..
this morning decided to test my legs to get thm back to normal .. with a 5.09 run with a 8:45 pace.
again carried the tire .. this time carried it to the entrance to the church parkin lot.. , droped it and started runing.. ,

after that did 30 more push ups!

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
25mi, with new Franken-vest!! I'll post my thoughts and my meticulous research and experimentation to create the perfect hydration/gear vest for yours truly, and no one else :D
I guess OCD pays off when it's pointed in the right direction ;)

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
Does anyone use compression leg sleeves? I was looking into the Zensah or CEP brands for my shin splints, any reviews would be great. Thanks!

Zensah. All others are crap. I've tried them all.
If you shell out the $$, go with CompresSport, from Australia. Awsome sleeves, but not practical in a financial sense.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom