What did you do?

JillC LI

If you can wait till Sept., I'll see if they are selling them at the TOT10M Expo.

That's so nice of you Coryna. I'll keep my eyes open for one in the meantime, and will let you know if I find one, but if I don't, I'd love it if you could check for me when you're down there.

How do you find the Treadmill to Road Run transition? Or do you only do treadmill training in the summer due to the heat?

Just jumping in here. I also far prefer running outdoors. The change in scenery makes runs far more enjoyable. I don't find it any harder on my body to run on cement/pavement vs. the treadmill. I only use the treadmill when there is no one home to watch my kids, when there is snow and ice on the ground (not just cold - I'll run in cold), or when the temps exceed 90 degrees and I don't feel like waking up early enough to beat the heat. The treadmill is also good for speed work because I don't have that internal clock that some people (Joel!) have. I'd say that I do about a third to half my weekly mileage (15-20 miles) indoors when I'm not training for anything in particular.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
5.05 miles at a 10:15 pace.
Not as good of a run yesterday. Legs were sore from yesterday's run and weight workout. Plus I unfortuately got behind a garbage truck and was following that stop and go for about 3/4 miles. It reeked so bad and the odor just lingered. Yuck!!! (Imagine the hurl icon here!)
LOL.. I get that sometimes too. I hate running past construction sites and when they stick the Port-O-Potties right by the street..... baking in the sun. Gag!
If you can wait till Sept., I'll see if they are selling them at the TOT10M Expo.
Great idea. If I were going to the expo, Id look too, but I wont make it down in time.
Thanks. And as I said above, I CANNOT get another. Not now at least. There's the outline of the Mickey ears from the magnet on the back of my car where dirt collected around it, and every time I see it, it depresses me.
Hopefully Coryna can find you something live at the expo. Websites never have everything they have in person.

Witchy Chick

I know! You ladies had better not take the 'Ohana reservation I'm gunning for!! :mad: ;)

No 'Ohana for me this time, but we are hoping for a Le Cellier ressie! We haven't been able to get in for the past 3 times we have gone! All our others should be pretty easy.

Ohhhhh -- I'm in trouble. Looking for an 'Ohana's and Le Cellier (lunch) ressie. Party of TEN. Crap. ;)

Ariel and Jill -- thanks for the TM to road running info (although I didn't ask about it). I'm training on the TM and hope to get some road running (meep meep :D) in during the fall. Depending on weather, I might be back to TM-only running in the immediate weeks/month before the Marathon Weekend 5K.

Witchy

Ariel484

Ohhhhh -- I'm in trouble. Looking for an 'Ohana's and Le Cellier (lunch) ressie. Party of TEN. Crap. ;)

Ariel and Jill -- thanks for the TM to road running info (although I didn't ask about it). I'm training on the TM and hope to get some road running (meep meep :D) in during the fall. Depending on weather, I might be back to TM-only running in the immediate weeks/month before the Marathon Weekend 5K.

Witchy

My name's Shannon! :)

Fair enough, we'll duke it out for 'Ohana! :mad: ;)

melflip8

I have free access to a fitness center at work (free weights/weight machines, cardio equipment, etc.)...if I go to this fitness center at least 10 times per month for 10 months out of the calendar year, I pay a lower health insurance premium. This is the ONLY reason why I run on the treadmill...to get those gym visits. :D Otherwise I would probably wake up early and run at home before work. I used to do all of my runs on the treadmill (the furthest distance I've run on a treadmill was a 12.5-miler last year), but once I began running outside regularly I found I couldn't stand treadmill running...I think this is pretty common. Now I don't go more than 5 miles at once on a treadmill, and the only time I prefer treadmill running is for speedwork (unless there's super extreme weather - seriously heat, blizzard, etc. - but even this past week, when I was off of work, I did all of my runs outside even with the heat advisory we had).

Right now a little over a third of my weekly mileage is on the treadmill (2 mornings on treadmill, 2 runs outside)...and I think when you asked the question you were wondering if I find it difficult to run outside after running inside?? I actually find that I am slower on the treadmill...I won't bore you with my theories as to why this is, but I am definitely faster when I run outside (not counting treadmill speedwork). In general running on a treadmill is thought to be "easier" than running outside because a treadmill is softer than concrete, it pulls you along, the conditions stay the same (no heat, no wind resistance, etc.) and unless you mess with the incline you're running on a flat surface the entire time, etc. But for me the mental challenge - i.e. BOREDOM - of running on a treadmill makes it so much harder. It's worth it to me to get up earlier to get a run in and avoid the summer heat, which is what I did last week...I woke up early, sunscreened, carried water with me, and accepted that my pace was going to be slower than normal because it was so hot out. If it weren't for wanting to accumulate those gym visits, I'd almost certainly do all my runs outside.

I hope this helps!

Sooo helpful. I find it harder to run outside, mainly because I am a beginner and the resistance, wind and suffering heat of Florida. I'm sticking with outside as much as possible, unless I cant get up before 8am (it's 90 here easy by about 10/11am...blah).

Thanks again!

JillC LI

Witchy

I actually find that winter running is easier than summer running. There's nothing you can do to escape the heat except to wake up really early, but you CAN avoid the cold with proper layering of clothing. As long as there's no ice on the ground, I'll bundle up in my wicking shirt with a fleece shirt on top and a light jacket on top of that, plus winter running tights, a wicking hat and fleece gloves with finger flaps. I may be cold for the first 10 minutes, but after that I'm sweating and taking off layers. It is really tough to run longer distance on a treadmill without going nutso. I sympathize with those on this board who have to deal with heat and humidity for more than the 4 or so months that i have to deal with it.

fmingo36

I actually find that winter running is easier than summer running. There's nothing you can do to escape the heat except to wake up really early, but you CAN avoid the cold with proper layering of clothing. As long as there's no ice on the ground, I'll bundle up in my wicking shirt with a fleece shirt on top and a light jacket on top of that, plus winter running tights, a wicking hat and fleece gloves with finger flaps. I may be cold for the first 10 minutes, but after that I'm sweating and taking off layers. It is really tough to run longer distance on a treadmill without going nutso. I sympathize with those on this board who have to deal with heat and humidity for more than the 4 or so months that i have to deal with it.

Jill, I agree with you 100%!
I'll take the cold temps anyday. The heat and humidity just drains every once of energy out of me.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
I actually find that winter running is easier than summer running.

I like fall/winter running much better than the spring or summer. Summer is good for heat and humidity training, but I love running during the fall/winter when no one is around. I can run for hours and not see one person.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
30.75 miles this morning.
Had some nausea early on from drinking my morning coffee too fast, but that went away.

My left IT is tweaked just slightly, but I'll be rolling it out tonight.

More nausea around mile 27, but that was heat related, and I jumped under the boardwalk showers to cool off, and that did the trick.

105 push ups afterwards.

BoB 100 is coming up in a few weeks. I'll create another thread for that race just like I did for NJ 100. My wife will be signed on under my name and will be giving live updates. I also think there will be a live web-cam at the race, so let me verify that, and I'll post the link. You can see what 100 miles does to a person...:D Looking to sub 20 hours this time around, so I expect LOTS of pain, nausea, and screaming in the middle of the night at mile 83.

Run hard folks.

Kristia

Had some nausea early on from drinking my morning coffee too fast, but that went away.

More nausea around mile 27, but that was heat related, and I jumped under the boardwalk showers to cool off, and that did the trick.

105 push ups afterwards.

BoB 100 is coming up in a few weeks. I'll create another thread for that race just like I did for NJ 100. My wife will be signed on under my name and will be giving live updates. I also think there will be a live web-cam at the race, so let me verify that, and I'll post the link. You can see what 100 miles does to a person...:D Looking to sub 20 hours this time around, so I expect LOTS of pain, nausea, and screaming in the middle of the night at mile 83.

Run hard folks.
We'll be rooting for you! :)

imagination30

3 miles on the tredmill at the gym yesterday , combined with strenght traning!.. ( i couldnt help my tredmill run , i have to run , even when i tell my self im not , what can i say:rolleyes:

joel_maxwell

Jill, I agree with you 100%!
I'll take the cold temps anyday. The heat and humidity just drains every once of energy out of me.
The body has to work so much harder in the heat. You burn through those calories too.

I like it cold. Ill take anything under 40 as perfect... but above 11 degrees. LOL, that was the temp of the IT killer.

105 push ups afterwards.

Run hard folks.
Errrrr. I got a KILLER stretch for this it you want it. Better than the foam roller.

dreamfinder

Gotta roll with the cold as well. 40-50 is awesome. Heck, I will take colder, or even snow, just give me a clear path to run on so we don't have to play dodge the car.

Errrrr. I got a KILLER stretch for this it you want it. Better than the foam roller.

A good IT stretch? Do share...... I have one or two, but am looking to try to diversify. The quad stretch while using the other foot to push down the knee doesn't always cut it.

Ariel484

Sooo helpful. I find it harder to run outside, mainly because I am a beginner and the resistance, wind and suffering heat of Florida. I'm sticking with outside as much as possible, unless I cant get up before 8am (it's 90 here easy by about 10/11am...blah).

Thanks again!

You are welcome! I do think the treadmill is good for beginners because it can help you get used to running at a certain pace (though not all treadmills are accurate). But I would definitely suggest trying to get outside once in awhile during your training, if it is safe to do so (i.e. not SUPER hot out).

I actually find that winter running is easier than summer running...

I totally agree! I don't really mind running in the cold unless there is ice on the ground.

...Errrrr. I got a KILLER stretch for this it you want it. Better than the foam roller.

Share please! :D

A good IT stretch? Do share...... I have one or two, but am looking to try to diversify. The quad stretch while using the other foot to push down the knee doesn't always cut it.

That's pretty much the only one I know, too. Using The Stick has helped with my IT band more than the quad thing.

----------------------

3 miles on the treadmill again this morning...9:59ish pace. :)

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
I did a 1.3 mile walk with the kiddos yesterday in the middle of the afternoon. I learned that my daughter can bike at roughly the same pace I can run, so I'll keep that in mind for future runs.

I then ran 3.03 miles just as the sun was setting over the lake near my home last night. You can tell I'm running regularly again, because I crave the run, and then feel great when I'm done.

joel_maxwell

Share please!
This stretch is incredible for the IT band.

Standing feet shoulder width apart, place right foot 10-12 inches in front of left foot and 10-12 inches over (away from original position). Should be about a 45 degree angle like you are stepping across the other foot. Slightly twist your torso and face right, lean to your right, down and try to touch you left foot slowly (it is the one in the back). You should feel the stretch start in your butt, then down your thigh and if you really are tight, into your knee. Hold for 30 seconds.

Repeat on the other side. I live for this stretch in the morning. ;)

fmingo36

This stretch is incredible for the IT band.

Standing feet shoulder width apart, place right foot 10-12 inches in front of left foot and 10-12 inches over (away from original position). Should be about a 45 degree angle like you are stepping across the other foot. Slightly twist your torso and face right, lean to your right, down and try to touch you left foot slowly (it is the one in the back). You should feel the stretch start in your butt, then down your thigh and if you really are tight, into your knee. Hold for 30 seconds.

Repeat on the other side. I live for this stretch in the morning. ;)

Thanks for sharing.
I find it so hard to "explain" stretches without being able to show someone.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom