What did you do?

Kristia

I did 1/10 of Nick's run as well :). Each time a little faster! Where's the dang clapping smiley when I need him?! 3.4 miles - 10:42 pace.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
2 miles tonight of speed work. Nothing major on the distance, but my goal was to stay below an 8 minute pace for both miles with my new "rolling" hills.

Mile 1: 7:58
Mile 2: 7:37

It gased me, but this is the first speed work I have done in over 5 months. Watch out Steve! ;)

I started looking at my progression and smiled that I stuck to my plan. Quarter mile progression. Retrain the knee: 2.01, 2.14, 2.54, 2.72, 3.06, 3.25, 3.33, 3.53, 3.91, 3.72, 4.11 (with a few 2 milers in there at night just for fun.

To quote Nick, Run hard folks. Doesnt matter the distance.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Speaking of riding... did you buy a new bike or outfit an old one? Im going to put about $150 into an old mtn bike first, do an event or two and then decide. I got a tune up, about to buy a new saddle, add areobars and later get some street slicks. Id like to ensure I enjoy the Tri's before buying a intro bike. So, next summer Ill make that decision. until then, Im going to train on this super heavy, 1994 Specialized Rockhopper with old school Rock Shox on the front. :)
We had to get two new bikes, as neither of us had one. Crazy as it sounds, I had not been on a bike in 20 years! I got a Specialized Sirrus, which is a hybrid, so not quite road bike or mountain bike, but in between. My wife got the women's version, which is the Vita. Really great bikes, very hAppy with specialized.

joel_maxwell

Yeah where are these smileys? I need my sarcastic 'lookaround'!
I need that smiley too. Love the lookaround.
We had to get two new bikes, as neither of us had one. Crazy as it sounds, I had not been on a bike in 20 years! I got a Specialized Sirrus, which is a hybrid, so not quite road bike or mountain bike, but in between. My wife got the women's version, which is the Vita. Really great bikes, very hAppy with specialized.
Well, if it means anything to your already positive thoughts to your Specialized, my 1994 Rockhopper is still kicking after I beat it to death at school in the 90's. Frame still in good shape, components were Shimano and some had to be replaced, but over all, love my Specialized.

Im looking at an offset post to get my saddle closer to the bars, add aerobars and some slicks... I have a cheap, super heavy Tri bike. LOL

Texas84

8 miles on the bike this morning. Bought a Trek comfort bike two years ago. The suspension makes for a nice ride. I bet people get annoyed with me at 0600 just like I get annoyed with bike riders when I'm driving. :D

Witchy Chick

First, I'm going to preface this by saying:
  1. I am "only" training for the (Marathon Weekend) 5K. (I read some of Donald Duck's (Nick's?) training runs, and say "whoa -- and I'm dragging my feet about 5K training?!?!" :oops:)
  2. I had previously been doing a "built-in" iFit program on our treadmill. The program was a 3 min warm-up walk, then intervals of running/walking at various inclines (0%, 1%, 5%, 7%, 9%, 10%). I have not done that program for the past month. :oops:;)

So, last night, I decide to get on the treadmill for the first time in a loooooong while. I did not do the iFit program that I had previously been doing, but thought I would just "brisk walk" for 30 minutes just to get back into the swing of things again. LOL I was bored of walking about 3-4 minutes, so I started running. :)

I ended up running ~ 3 min intervals, then walking for 1 min, running 3 again, etc until I wrapped up at 30 mins. I also wanted to get an idea of my stamina for 1.6 miles (half of a 5K) and kind of proceed from there. So, 30 mins with mixed intervals of running/walking ended up taking me 1.8 miles.

My game plan is to keep up with that and then expand my distance until I get to 5K (even if I still have to interval running/walking). Once I am running/walking 5K -- start working on eliminating walking and get to "running the whole thing."

Or should I work on speed first and then getting to the 5K mark? :confused:

In any event, I felt pretty good (forgot to mention I banged up my knee which contributed to my month-long lack of exercise). I'm a little sore today, but not too bad. Definitely going to take a break tonight, but try to run again tomorrow.

Witchy

JillC LI

LOL, I still use the bike my parents gave me for my 16th birthday! LOL. It's, um, nearly 10 years old already! ;) I just ride around the neighborhood with my kids though. I cross-train on the stationary bike.

Last night I had enough time to fit in a nice run while my son had a baseball game. I took off from the baseball field parking lot and finished back there after 7 miles at a pace of 9:50 which really pleased me. Got to see him up at bat when I returned. He's such a little athlete - good at everything.

JillC LI

1. I am "only" training for the (Marathon Weekend) 5K. (I read some of Donald Duck's (Nick's?) training runs, and say "whoa -- and I'm dragging my feet about 5K training?!?!" :oops:)
Witchy

First of all, Welcome!
And second of all, there is no "only" in running. Every bit of training done is time well spent. None of us are in Nick's league when it comes to distance. And that doesn't matter one iota - he'll be the first to tell you that.

joel_maxwell

Witchy
Speed is a novelty. It isnt necessary. It will actually get you hurt if you arent ready for it. IMHO, and I learned this the hard way, the best thing you can do is build up endurance. Dont worry about your speed, just finish the distance. You can be lightning fast, but if you cant finish a 5K, there is no point in being fast.

Just get out there and finish, you will be just as proud either way.

Welcome to the Running section... the best on wdwmagic.
LOL, I still use the bike my parents gave me for my 16th birthday! LOL. It's, um, nearly 10 years old already! ;) I just ride around the neighborhood with my kids though. I cross-train on the stationary bike.

Last night I had enough time to fit in a nice run while my son had a baseball game. I took off from the baseball field parking lot and finished back there after 7 miles at a pace of 9:50 which really pleased me. Got to see him up at bat when I returned. He's such a little athlete - good at everything.
Nice that you got in a run and managed to get the baseball game in.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
Ok, so someone asked about my nutrition for the 100 miler. I'll post it here, but it's long. This has taken me while to put together and alot of experimenting, and I'm giving my secrets away!. Remember, this works for me, not everyone, and not for marathon distance, or even 50 miles. For 100 miles based on my weight of 125lbs:
- Two bagels 1 hr before start
- 2 anti-fatigue caps 1 hr before start to illiminate ammonia build up in over worked muscles. 1 cap every hour after
- 2 amino caps 1 hr before start to minimize tissue breakdown. 1 cap every hr after.
- 600-650ml water every hour.
-1 Succeed cap or Enduralyte cap every hour for electrolyte replacement
-Various Hammer gels @ 90 cals; 1 every half-hour, 180-200 cals per hour, for the first 4-6 hours.
-Perpetuem solids after 4-6 hours to introduce protein to help minimize my body from eating its own muscle.
- alternate the gels and Perpetuem every other hour
-after mile 62-75, the s--t hits the fan, and serious nausea and pain are incredible, so I reach for my go-to: Coke (yes the drink), Red Bull, or organic ginger al with raw slices of ginger in it. It's not good to consume the bad sugars because it wrecks the system, but it's late in the race and it helps.
-I try to avoid solid foods because it is hard to digest when the fluid and blood is going to your legs, therefore nausea or stomach distress.
-After race or long training run, I drink Ultragen, 2 or 3 scoops immediately after to replenish salt, carbs, sugar, and loaded with protein to repair muscles.
That's pretty much it. My crew makes sure to follow this because my brain is mashed potatoes after 20+ hours of straight running. Enjoy folks!

a2grafix

Starting to build up endurance to longer runs. Another after midnight run (that' how I roll), a 30-minute run as per the 10-miler Tower training program says. I did not run Tuesday night or Wednesday due to a head cold, and had lingering effect of it Thursday evening / early Friday. Although normal 30-minute run, I ran a little faster than normal and was shocked that I could hit 3 miles easily under 30 minutes. In fact, I passed the 3-mile 25 minutes into my run. Finished running 3.40 miles, nearly 3.5 miles in 30 minutes (8:05 first mile, 15:15 2 mile and 25:25 3 mile).

Just wanted to test myself and see how far I could push it and maintain a good pace.It was upper 60s, light wind, 40 percent humidity. Felt really good after the run, though I still have sniffles.

Onward and upward. I have you in my sights Tower of Terror 10-miler. I'm pretty sure I can run faster than 1 hour, 45 minutes.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
  2. I had previously been doing a "built-in" iFit program on our treadmill. The program was a 3 min warm-up walk, then intervals of running/walking at various inclines (0%, 1%, 5%, 7%, 9%, 10%). I have not done that program for the past month. :oops:;)

So, last night, I decide to get on the treadmill for the first time in a loooooong while. I did not do the iFit program that I had previously been doing, but thought I would just "brisk walk" for 30 minutes just to get back into the swing of things again. LOL I was bored of walking about 3-4 minutes, so I started running. :)

I ended up running ~ 3 min intervals, then walking for 1 min, running 3 again, etc until I wrapped up at 30 mins. I also wanted to get an idea of my stamina for 1.6 miles (half of a 5K) and kind of proceed from there. So, 30 mins with mixed intervals of running/walking ended up taking me 1.8 miles.

My game plan is to keep up with that and then expand my distance until I get to 5K (even if I still have to interval running/walking). Once I am running/walking 5K -- start working on eliminating walking and get to "running the whole thing."

In any event, I felt pretty good (forgot to mention I banged up my knee which contributed to my month-long lack of exercise). I'm a little sore today, but not too bad. Definitely going to take a break tonight, but try to run again tomorrow.

Witchy

Welcome to the best running forum, anywhere. Yeah, don't compare your training to mine. I'm an idiot. Listen to Coryna, Jill, Joel, Brad and Steve. They'll set you on the right track.

My 2 cents: no excuses. Good luck with training!

joel_maxwell

What headlamp are you using? I use a Petzl MYO and a Fenix (back up) for my night runs and ultras.
You know, moving out to the country, Im going to have to get a headlamp when Standard time hits us again. It is dark and quiet around my new house. You can here 100's of frogs in the background.

I use to have a Petzel in my climbing/spelunking days, but some batteries exploded in it and it was toast.

a2grafix

What headlamp are you using? I use a Petzl MYO and a Fenix (back up) for my night runs and ultras.

Not using a headlamp. Both streets are very lighted and I run against traffic, if there is any. The first mile is a quiet residential street with sidewalks, while the mile back is a main thoroughfare, that, at midnight, 1am, 2am, is dead to traffic.

There are only 2 stoplights - at both mile turns, and the thoroughfare is separated by a large grassy island. If I do see a vehicle approaching me, and it's near the curb lane, I hop up onto the side and still run. If the car is in the far lane, I am okay.

I also wear reflective Air Force gear. I do play it safe.

Up until April 2012 (January 2011 - March 2012), I was running at a nearby high school track. I would walk down the sidewalk to warm-up, cross the street, and enter the school grounds. I used to work swing shift and got home around midnight, 1am. Would go out for a run after that.

joel_maxwell

Not using a headlamp. Both streets are very lighted and I run against traffic, if there is any. The first mile is a quiet residential street with sidewalks, while the mile back is a main thoroughfare, that, at midnight, 1am, 2am, is dead to traffic.

There are only 2 stoplights - at both mile turns, and the thoroughfare is separated by a large grassy island. If I do see a vehicle approaching me, and it's near the curb lane, I hop up onto the side and still run. If the car is in the far lane, I am okay.

I also wear reflective Air Force gear. I do play it safe.

Up until April 2012 (January 2011 - March 2012), I was running at a nearby high school track. I would walk down the sidewalk to warm-up, cross the street, and enter the school grounds. I used to work swing shift and got home around midnight, 1am. Would go out for a run after that.
Wow.. you got any extra laying around. Id like to make my bike glow in the dark if any light is even close to me. LOL

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
You know, moving out to the country, Im going to have to get a headlamp when Standard time hits us again. It is dark and quiet around my new house. You can here 100's of frogs in the background.

Love frogs!
I use to have a Petzel in my climbing/spelunking days, but some batteries exploded in it and it was toast.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom