What did you do?

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Smart Wool socks are nice too but I only wear them in the winter. They make some just for runners. My regular Nike dri-fit socks have always worked for me. Hate your having feet problems and heat. Maybe the socks you are wearing are too thick and not ventilating or getting air in the toe mesh part.

fmingo36

Yesterday a quick 2 miles before class and an hour of yoga (yes-YS was there). Have to admit my yoga instructor kicked my a$$. I swear when there are newbies in class, she kicks it up a notch. I was sweating and shaking from holding some tough poses. I thanked her after class. :D

Tonight was 6.5 miles on a stationary bike and 1 hr with weight.
Plus this afternoon I took a hula dance lesson. SO FUN and a great workout!

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
Thanks Donald for the advice. Can count on you for in-depth running expertise. Got some running socks for the December holiday, and wore them last night. I will look into / purchase those you mentioned.

I'll go through my medical/footcare bag and give you a list of stuff that might help with the moisture control. Tomorrow.

joel_maxwell

Yesterday a quick 2 miles before class and an hour of yoga (yes-YS was there). Have to admit my yoga instructor kicked my a$$. I swear when there are newbies in class, she kicks it up a notch. I was sweating and shaking from holding some tough poses. I thanked her after class. :D

Tonight was 6.5 miles on a stationary bike and 1 hr with weight.
Plus this afternoon I took a hula dance lesson. SO FUN and a great workout!
Look a that cross training. Love it. You hit the Hawaiian work out too. LOL

I'll go through my medical/footcare bag and give you a list of stuff that might help with the moisture control. Tomorrow.
Nick's bag O' crap. Id love to see what is in there.

dreamfinder

Do not double up on socks, that's bad. It will just increase the heat. Get some dry max socks, or injinji socks. Try different materials.

This. There are lots of different types of socks out there. Some thick, some thin, some double walled, some made from cotton, bamboo, recycled poly, tons of choices. Try looking for/trying a different pair. I usually like the EcoPoly from Teko, but have plenty of others as well. Just got a few pairs of Darn Tough Vermont socks the other day. Seem a little thicker than I normally use, but the unconditional lifetime guarantee intrigues me.

If you are having excessive moisture, maybe look into something like Anti Monkey Butt powder? Normally meant for another body part, but I have several coworkers who swear by the stuff.

fmingo36

My hubby is working from home this week so I took full advantage of it. Got up early this morning and ran 5.5 miles at a 10:24 pace while he got my girls ready for school. I think I'll take advantage of it again tonight and let him get the girls ready for bed and I'll get in a yoga/pilates class. Hmmm, i could get used to this! :D

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
Thanks Donald for the advice. Can count on you for in-depth running expertise. Got some running socks for the December holiday, and wore them last night. I will look into / purchase those you mentioned.

Ok, so nothing really in my bag of tricks that will help you, except maybe some blister shield powder. I know various taping techniques to prevent blisters, which is caused by heat, friction and moisture. But, you're not running Badwater, so it's kind of overkill.
I swear by injinji socks. The material keeps my feet relatively cool and the seperate toes sleeves prevent heat build up. Also, make sure your shoes aren't...crap. If you have a shoe that has a thick upper or even Goretex material, that will screw you over.

JillC LI

Per the Tower of Terror 10-miler training program, ran 4 miles around midnight. Temps in the low 70s, rising humidity with impending rain. Walked an extra half mile to cool down. No wind. Perfect midnight run.

I'm digging this training program, but talk to me in the next month, six weeks, when I should be up near 8-10 miles.

The only thing is that my feet are getting warm. Wearing a pair of running socks and about the 2.5 / 3-mile mark my soles start to get warm. Is this normal? Is this from the friction and the heat of the day on the pavement / sidewalks / track in doing a long run?? Shall I double-up on socks?

I like how you're genuinely doing midnight runs to prepare. I'll bet there aren't too many other doing the same!

Don't worry about the 8-10 miles. As long asyou're sticking with your training program, you'll be able to do it. Every time you run a new distance for the first time, it is normal to have butterflies that you won't make it, but trust those of us who have gone farther than we ever imagined we could - you will! As for the socks, try another brand. Your feet shouldn't be getting so hot (unless you're wearing really thin running flats?).

As for me, 4.5 miles yesterday afternoon at 9:44 pace which really pleased me in the heat.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
Just under 25 miles this morning at a 9:00 pace.

Legs felt pretty fresh.

Planning on a 30-50 miler on Thursday or friday and once again, taking the weekend to relax with my wife, drink beer, and enjoy the parts of life that do not suck :)

Run hard folks!

Mickey&Minnie

Last night I did 3 miles on the treadmill and then a quick 15 min on the bike just to keep my muscles warm before my yoga class started. I did an hour of yoga and then a zumba class. It was an overall good workout.

Tonight I have a few miles planned but also going to hook up with sue friends and play some tennis. Haven't played in a while so this should be fun ;)

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer

Nick's bag O' crap. Id love to see what is in there.

My bag O' crap is nothing short of incredible. Other than an IV hook up, and difibrilator (spelling???), I could be an on-call EMT.
Everything to keep me upright, unchaffed, unsunburned, un chapped, pain free, cramp free, diareah free, clean, fresh, cardiac
arrest prevention, well, you get the point.

fmingo36

My bag O' crap is nothing short of incredible. Other than an IV hook up, and difibrilator (spelling???), I could be an on-call EMT.
Everything to keep me upright, unchaffed, unsunburned, un chapped, pain free, cramp free, diareah free, clean, fresh, cardiac

Let me guess...it's black. :p

fmingo36

I think I may be more sore from the Hawaiian workout than anything. I used muscles I had never used before. I think I may try and get weekly lessons. Maybe if i get good enough I can get a job at the Polynesian Resort and perform in The Spirit of Aloha show! Could be my retirement plan. :D

joel_maxwell

I love a good ole bag O' crap!

I think I may be more sore from the Hawaiian workout than anything. I used muscles I had never used before. I think I may try and get weekly lessons. Maybe if i get good enough I can get a job at the Polynesian Resort and perform in The Spirit of Aloha show! Could be my retirement plan. :D
Nice. 401K? Naaah, this girl hula's.

Texas84

Not including Disney trips, last weekend was the first weekend I skipped running in TWO YEARS! I took my stuff to Charlotte, NC but we were working all-nighters. Just too tired. Got back on track today with 3 miles this AM. Nice 11-min pace. I was soaked. Humidity RULES!

fmingo36

My hubby is working from home this week so I took full advantage of it. Got up early this morning and ran 5.5 miles at a 10:24 pace while he got my girls ready for school. I think I'll take advantage of it again tonight and let him get the girls ready for bed and I'll get in a yoga/pilates class. Hmmm, i could get used to this! :D

Yup took advantage of it.

joel_maxwell

Yup took advantage of it.
Not sure why the "quoting yourself" cracked me up... but it made me laugh.
Heading out to get some in the pouring rain, with a fresh pair of Hokas.
Noooo, I cant take a brand new pair of shoes in the rain for at least 1 week of me smelling that "new shoe smell". Love that.
Not including Disney trips, last weekend was the first weekend I skipped running in TWO YEARS! I took my stuff to Charlotte, NC but we were working all-nighters. Just too tired. Got back on track today with 3 miles this AM. Nice 11-min pace. I was soaked. Humidity RULES!
I know that feeling. Glad you are back in the swing. I might not have been pulling an all-nighter, but moving this past month with 2 small kids proved to be a huge endurance challenge.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom