What did you do?

DisneyRunner

Nice! One of my goals is to beat an hour. My best is about 1:10. I've got the Cherry Blossom 10K next Saturday in Macon, GA.

8-miler today. Just did not have any energy but I managed to keep under a 12-minute pace. I want to do the ToT in under 2 hours and get to that party!

Good luck to you.

JillC LI

I ran my 10K St.Patrick's Day race, in 56:34. The goal was a hour. It was a rolling hill course and I can rock on the downhill. Now, I have a current time I can submit for the TOT10Miler.:)
Congrats! Great time! My 10K PR is 59:31 on a super hilly course too.

Ran 10 miles today in the Metro-Parks.
Kept my pace at an easy 9 minute/mile
(I didn't want to over exert myself on my
birthday). The weather was pleasant, and
I felt good! Hope everyone is doing well and
continues to be successful in their training!

Happy birthday!

Nice weekend runs everyone. I did 7 miles this morning. Joel - you'll appreciate this - I didn't look at my watch today (although I did wear the Garmin to ensure I completed a proper 7 miles). Just kept an enjoyable pace which turned out at the end to be 9:48 min/mile. Felt great and beautiful weather.

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
I got my first outdoor run done here on my home turf in Wisconsin. I took my 18-month old daughter with me in the jogging strolller for the first time. She shouted "go!" every time I slowed down.

1.97 miles today. It felt....pretty good...was finally getting warmed up toward the end. I was time constrained, so I didn't have time to do more. The wind was blasting me in the face, which made pushing the big stroller harder than it should have been.

But - I still ran outside. My first outdoor run of the year not on Disney property.....sad.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Ran 10 miles today in the Metro-Parks.
Kept my pace at an easy 9 minute/mile
(I didn't want to over exert myself on my
birthday). The weather was pleasant, and
I felt good! Hope everyone is doing well and
continues to be successful in their training!

Happy birthday!!!

Ariel484

Thanks for the Birthday Wishes!:)

Oops, a day late, happy birthday! :sohappy:

Yesterday - 3 miles in 30 minutes flat.

A little vent here...on Wednesday I signed up for a St. Patty's day 5K. I was a little nervous signing up for this particular race as it was its "1st annual" but it was only about a 15-minute drive from my house and a 5K fit in well with my current half marathon plan. Also, my 5K PR is from 2009 (30:23) and I was hoping to break it...a small part of me was really hoping to go under 30 minutes.

Packet pick-up was supposed to be Thursday and Friday from 5-7:30 at the pub sponsoring the race. We got emails Thursday during the day that Thursday packet pick-up was canceled because the race shirts hadn't come in yet...no big deal.

On Friday I arrived for packet pick-up at 5:10ish. The guy with the bibs/chips didn't get there until 5:30...I was parked at a meter and was hungry for dinner, so this was annoying, but not a big deal. He still didn't have the shirts that came with registration (he blamed shipping of the new iPad for this) and didn't have safety pins for the bibs. Again, no big deal, but I thought it was odd for a race organizer to forget safety pins. :shrug: When I got home I realized that we've never been given any information about where to park and couldn't find any suggestions on the race website, which stressed me out a bit.

On Saturday I arrived at the race site (found a parking spot with no problems, thankfully - it was literally the last usable one in the lot). They had safety pins, but still no shirts, so I had to give my size and phone number to someone to get it later. After what had happened so far I expected the start to be delayed...sure enough it was announced that the race would start at 8:15, not 8, due to a large number of race-day registrants.

The race started at 8:20ish, and at some point I realized that I had no idea where the official starting line was...I never saw a chip mat, even though we'd all been given chips for our shoes at packet pick-up. I hit start on my Garmin as I passed who I assumed was the race organizer (he had a megaphone and had announced the start) and settled into about a 9-10 minute per mile pace somewhere near the middle/back of the pack.

We all chugged along and the first mile marker came up much quicker than I expected. A volunteer yelled out that my time was 8:15 or something...whatever it was, there was no way that it was right. I'm faster than I used to be, but not that fast! :lol: I looked at my watch and I believe it had me at 0.88 miles or something...:shrug: I don't know what happened, but my distance was wrong the entire way. By the time I crossed the finish line, I had an amazing time of 27:30...but my Garmin indicated that I'd only run 2.88 miles.

Again, I'm not sure what happened. I was following everyone else on the course, so it's not like I took my own secret shortcut. :shrug: The course had been available on mapmyrun and it was measured as 3.11 miles there, but I guess I can't be sure if it was changed at the last minute, and I'm pretty bad at remembering specific streets races were run on.

At any rate, when I rounded the last corner of the course and realized that the finish line was maybe 100 feet away and I wasn't even at 2.9 miles, I felt SO deflated. I probably could've beat my goal of coming in under 30 minutes. Oh well, I guess it wasn't meant to be. I might try to go for it again in the fall.

I keep going back to the race webpage to see if anyone else had the distance issue I had...I know people were wearing Garmins, but I didn't hear anyone talk about the possible course issues when the race was over. :shrug:

It was just a really weird experience...I expected there to be some kinks to work out as it was the first time they did this race, but not that many. They did have a great spread of post-race snacks though - including rice krispie treats! :slurp:

So that's all...thanks for letting me vent! :wave: Have a great week everyone!

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Oops, a day late, happy birthday! :sohappy:

Yesterday - 3 miles in 30 minutes flat.

A little vent here...on Wednesday I signed up for a St. Patty's day 5K. I was a little nervous signing up for this particular race as it was its "1st annual" but it was only about a 15-minute drive from my house and a 5K fit in well with my current half marathon plan. Also, my 5K PR is from 2009 (30:23) and I was hoping to break it...a small part of me was really hoping to go under 30 minutes.

Packet pick-up was supposed to be Thursday and Friday from 5-7:30 at the pub sponsoring the race. We got emails Thursday during the day that Thursday packet pick-up was canceled because the race shirts hadn't come in yet...no big deal.

On Friday I arrived for packet pick-up at 5:10ish. The guy with the bibs/chips didn't get there until 5:30...I was parked at a meter and was hungry for dinner, so this was annoying, but not a big deal. He still didn't have the shirts that came with registration (he blamed shipping of the new iPad for this) and didn't have safety pins for the bibs. Again, no big deal, but I thought it was odd for a race organizer to forget safety pins. :shrug: When I got home I realized that we've never been given any information about where to park and couldn't find any suggestions on the race website, which stressed me out a bit.

On Saturday I arrived at the race site (found a parking spot with no problems, thankfully - it was literally the last usable one in the lot). They had safety pins, but still no shirts, so I had to give my size and phone number to someone to get it later. After what had happened so far I expected the start to be delayed...sure enough it was announced that the race would start at 8:15, not 8, due to a large number of race-day registrants.

The race started at 8:20ish, and at some point I realized that I had no idea where the official starting line was...I never saw a chip mat, even though we'd all been given chips for our shoes at packet pick-up. I hit start on my Garmin as I passed who I assumed was the race organizer (he had a megaphone and had announced the start) and settled into about a 9-10 minute per mile pace somewhere near the middle/back of the pack.

We all chugged along and the first mile marker came up much quicker than I expected. A volunteer yelled out that my time was 8:15 or something...whatever it was, there was no way that it was right. I'm faster than I used to be, but not that fast! :lol: I looked at my watch and I believe it had me at 0.88 miles or something...:shrug: I don't know what happened, but my distance was wrong the entire way. By the time I crossed the finish line, I had an amazing time of 27:30...but my Garmin indicated that I'd only run 2.88 miles.

Again, I'm not sure what happened. I was following everyone else on the course, so it's not like I took my own secret shortcut. :shrug: The course had been available on mapmyrun and it was measured as 3.11 miles there, but I guess I can't be sure if it was changed at the last minute, and I'm pretty bad at remembering specific streets races were run on.

At any rate, when I rounded the last corner of the course and realized that the finish line was maybe 100 feet away and I wasn't even at 2.9 miles, I felt SO deflated. I probably could've beat my goal of coming in under 30 minutes. Oh well, I guess it wasn't meant to be. I might try to go for it again in the fall.

I keep going back to the race webpage to see if anyone else had the distance issue I had...I know people were wearing Garmins, but I didn't hear anyone talk about the possible course issues when the race was over. :shrug:

It was just a really weird experience...I expected there to be some kinks to work out as it was the first time they did this race, but not that many. They did have a great spread of post-race snacks though - including rice krispie treats! :slurp:

So that's all...thanks for letting me vent! :wave: Have a great week everyone!
Wow. I would get frustrated with the lack of organization too. I know this will come off race snobbish, but Ill avoid events if they have proven to be this way in the past. Now, if it is a true charity event, it shouldnt matter as much and it doesnt to me, I signed up to give my money to the local race (insert cause here). I feel your pain though.

My first thought was that you would commonly see more of disorganization in shorter races, but last year, I ran a 21K trail run that was poorly marked on the course. Some people missed a 2 mile section of it. It really frustrated the pack I was in. We were all the second pack and booking along when we approached a crew that was doing a lot of walking and clearly they would have never passed us. Not a huge deal since they just missed out on 2 miles of awesome trail, but if that would have come down to the prizes won at the end, I can see some people getting upset.

MKCP 1985

Inaugural event races tend to have their problems, even ones sponsored by Run Disney. 2010 Wine and Dine Half Marathon, anyone? :ROFLOL:

Today, I signed up for a 10K on Saturday morning. This will likely be my last "race" event of the season, excluding the Warrior Dash in April.

Running this with my son who will take off and leave me in his dust, but it should be a fun race before taking the rest of the day to watch college baseball and drink beer (not necessarily in that order). :D

joel_maxwell

Inaugural event races tend to have their problems, even ones sponsored by Run Disney. 2010 Wine and Dine Half Marathon, anyone? :ROFLOL:

Today, I signed up for a 10K on Saturday morning. This will likely be my last "race" event of the season, excluding the Warrior Dash in April.

Running this with my son who will take off and leave me in his dust, but it should be a fun race before taking the rest of the day to watch college baseball and drink beer (not necessarily in that order). :D
*clears throat* It wasnt that bad, but it had its hiccups.

I hate the end of events and the season. This is why I need to get involved in mini tri's. They are during the summer. As discussed before, Im done for this spring for events but looking forward to rehabbing and getting back to my norm.

enchanted_belle

Shannon, I'd be venting right along with you! I did a mud run last year, and they had quite a few control problems, as well as packet pick up problems (only left an hour window for pick up the day before, and didn't want to give any teams their packets the day of, even if they drove 10+ hours to get there). It was frustrating.

Let's see, yesterday I did an easy (I love saying that!) 2 miles on the treadmill for the second day of week 5 on the c25k. Made it a slower pace, and could have ran the two 1-minute walks set up between the runs, but I walked because I had been sporting a migraine for 24 hours already.
So, today was spent in bed, trying to heal that migraine, which is even worse now, and a fever on top of it... so no running for me, even though I was itching to do day three of the week. I think I caught the run bug. :lol:

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
The past few days have been a combo of being crazy busy and crappy weather. I didn't go out for a walk/jog but I did do Zumba with my Kinect on Thur, Fri, and Sat. Cardio is cardio, right? :lol: Anywho, today I was feeling really blah and crappy after work but I decided to drag myself outside anyways. I am SO glad (for many reasons) that I convinced myself to go out.

One, I feel like I tackled the laziness monster quite nicely. Two, I set a new personal best. Three, I achieved this by doing a fair amount of jogging. The most I have done in a very long time. :D I created a new "rule" for myself. Every time I cross a street I have to jog across it and then continue jogging as long as I can afterwards. I take a pretty turn-filled route around the neighborhood so this equates to a decent amount of jogging (and I do mean jogging...one step up from bouncy walking :lookaroun). As a result I shaved 1:16 off my pace today. :sohappy: So, the result of today is I did 2.0 miles at a pace of 17:11. If I keep increasing my jogging stamina it won't be long before I am below the coveted 16:00 pace required for most runDisney events. :D

AUPr8Hd

I hate the end of events and the season. This is why I need to get involved in mini tri's. They are during the summer. As discussed before, Im done for this spring for events but looking forward to rehabbing and getting back to my norm.

Joel,

I haven't been around the boards lately. So, I don't know your injury, if there is one. But, there's a 5k/10k in Auburn on April 21. It begins at Toomer's Corner and ends on the 50 yard line of Jordan-Hare.

joel_maxwell

Joel,

I haven't been around the boards lately. So, I don't know your injury, if there is one. But, there's a 5k/10k in Auburn on April 21. It begins at Toomer's Corner and ends on the 50 yard line of Jordan-Hare.
I saw that. I would love to do it but I am injured actually. I still have numbness on the outside of my knee after my Full at the Mercedes. It has been a solid 4 weeks of no running. It sucks.

Maybe next year. I think it would be fun to run around the campus I use to stumble around.... :lol:

Ariel484

Yesterday morning I did about 1/3 of the sets in the Runner's World IronStrength workout (maybe someday I'll be in good enough shape to do the whole thing...maybe...:cry:) and then did 3 miles of speedwork this morning. I'm definitely enjoying speedwork much more than I used to.

Wow. I would get frustrated with the lack of organization too. I know this will come off race snobbish, but Ill avoid events if they have proven to be this way in the past. Now, if it is a true charity event, it shouldnt matter as much and it doesnt to me, I signed up to give my money to the local race (insert cause here). I feel your pain though.

Not snobbish at all...I seriously doubt that I'll do this race again. I think I'd be less disappointed about the whole thing if I hadn't been on my way to a new PR (I think I was anyway...if I could've kept that pace up I would've beat my PR by a minute). I'm just glad I didn't train for weeks for that particular race. On the bright side, I did come in 10th in my age group (out of 29th) so that's something.

The charity was a good one though...they're raising money for new bone marrow transplant rooms for a large children's hospital in the area, so I'm glad my registration fee went toward that. And then last night I signed up for another inaugural 5K at the end of April...I sort of promised myself I wouldn't do anymore inaugural races, but this one supports a local animal shelter in the area and is being put on by our veterinary office (we LOVE them)...and that's a cause that is very near and dear to my heart as my little pup is a rescue dog. I think my husband might walk with the pup in the 1-mile dog walk that is taking place during the race. :sohappy:

My first thought was that you would commonly see more of disorganization in shorter races, but last year, I ran a 21K trail run that was poorly marked on the course. Some people missed a 2 mile section of it. It really frustrated the pack I was in. We were all the second pack and booking along when we approached a crew that was doing a lot of walking and clearly they would have never passed us. Not a huge deal since they just missed out on 2 miles of awesome trail, but if that would have come down to the prizes won at the end, I can see some people getting upset.

I've never done a trail race before, but I think I've heard that the course markings can sometimes be difficult/non-existent. That sucks. I would've been upset too if I trained for that race and something so jarring happened right in the middle of it.

Inaugural event races tend to have their problems, even ones sponsored by Run Disney. 2010 Wine and Dine Half Marathon, anyone?

:lol: We'll see how they do this year with the Tower of Terror 10-miler!

Shannon, I'd be venting right along with you! I did a mud run last year, and they had quite a few control problems, as well as packet pick up problems (only left an hour window for pick up the day before, and didn't want to give any teams their packets the day of, even if they drove 10+ hours to get there). It was frustrating.

Lame! I understand organizing a race is a big job, but why leave only an hour for packet pick-up?!

Let's see, yesterday I did an easy (I love saying that!) 2 miles on the treadmill for the second day of week 5 on the c25k. Made it a slower pace, and could have ran the two 1-minute walks set up between the runs, but I walked because I had been sporting a migraine for 24 hours already.
So, today was spent in bed, trying to heal that migraine, which is even worse now, and a fever on top of it... so no running for me, even though I was itching to do day three of the week. I think I caught the run bug.

Hooray for an easy run and catching the running bug! :sohappy: Have you crossed over to the dark side?!

I read about the migraine on your blog...I hope you're feeling better! :(

The past few days have been a combo of being crazy busy and crappy weather. I didn't go out for a walk/jog but I did do Zumba with my Kinect on Thur, Fri, and Sat. Cardio is cardio, right? Anywho, today I was feeling really blah and crappy after work but I decided to drag myself outside anyways. I am SO glad (for many reasons) that I convinced myself to go out.

One, I feel like I tackled the laziness monster quite nicely. Two, I set a new personal best. Three, I achieved this by doing a fair amount of jogging. The most I have done in a very long time. I created a new "rule" for myself. Every time I cross a street I have to jog across it and then continue jogging as long as I can afterwards. I take a pretty turn-filled route around the neighborhood so this equates to a decent amount of jogging (and I do mean jogging...one step up from bouncy walking). As a result I shaved 1:16 off my pace today. So, the result of today is I did 2.0 miles at a pace of 17:11. If I keep increasing my jogging stamina it won't be long before I am below the coveted 16:00 pace required for most runDisney events.

Way to go on the personal best! Honestly, I think it's perfectly fine to jog when you're first starting out. The important thing is that you're moving, you know?

And good job getting out there even if you didn't necessarily want to. I've felt that way many times and have found that those are sometimes the days when I have great runs. Looks like the same thing happened for you!

enchanted_belle

Lame! I understand organizing a race is a big job, but why leave only an hour for packet pick-up?!

Hooray for an easy run and catching the running bug! :sohappy: Have you crossed over to the dark side?!

I read about the migraine on your blog...I hope you're feeling better! :(

Yeah, it was a huge mess trying to figure out what to do about the whole packet thing... eventually, since almost everyone didn't have numbers, they let people pick up their stuff at the race. Our team captain kinda stalked the packet coordinator via cell until she agreed to meet him with our stuff the night before. :lol:

Depends, does the darkside have cookies???????? :D

And nope, not feeling better. Day four of migraine! And I'm back at work. :cry: I may go for a little mile walk with a classmate between work and school today, before we sit down to look at ToT flights.

joel_maxwell

I've never done a trail race before, but I think I've heard that the course markings can sometimes be difficult/non-existent. That sucks. I would've been upset too if I trained for that race and something so jarring happened right in the middle of it.
I think the kicker was, it is labeled the "Crusher" trail 21K because you change 3000 ft of vertical elevation over the course. I think I recall my numbers something resembling 3100 vertical gain and 3300 vertical lose. It was a beast. On mile 10, you had to ascend back over the mtn. Going over the mtn, you worked up it gradually, on the return, you went straight up it. It is like running the steepest driving hill in a car, then adding roots and steps to it. It was awesome. :D

I think one of the epic fails the director did the day before the race was change the course. She had posted a written description of the trail to trail. Then, after the race I was telling her about the section people missed since there was no person there directing people to make the new turn instead of going staright.

It will be better this year. We are running it in reverse, so I get that huge hill going down this time and then a slow work up.

JillC LI

I know this feeling quite well! LOL

Ariel, sorry to hear about your poorly organized race experience. That's a bummer.

As for me, 5 miles last night in gorgeous 65 degree weather! Once again, Joel, I didn't check my watch for pace as I ran, and I comfortably finished with what turned out to be a 9:35 min pace. Maybe there's something to this no-watch business!

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
I did another 2.0 mile walk/jog today at a pace of 16:51. I did more jogging than yesterday and subsequently shaved another 20 seconds off the personal best I set yesterday. Getting faster every day! I did a slightly different route today that had some unexpected elevation but I got through it.

When ya'll were first starting out running did you do the same route every day and then add mileage onto it later? I've been doing pretty much the same route each day and I plan to add on another half mile tomorrow or Thursday.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom