What did you do?

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
31+ miles this morning. Heading out was nothing, but the constant stream of the southern winds on the return were brutal. The worst I've felt running in wind, EVER. When I got home it felt like I had just fallen down a flight of stairs, and when I hit the bottom, someone took a baseball bat to my legs for 5 hours :hurl:

Oh well, took two days off last week and still managed just under 139mi.

Keep up the hard work everyone!

Cheers!

GoofyRacer11

I am finally registered for my first race since this past
Disney Goofy Challenge. I will be running in the Toledo
Half-Marathon on April 22nd. This weekend I will be increasing
my mileage so that I can work myself back up to this level
of training. I am also planning on doing the Cleveland, Akron,
Fall Classic, Towpath Half-Marathons as well as the Warriors
Dash, Shot in the Dark, and possible the Columbus Marathon
this year. All these races will lead me up until the Goofy Challenge
2013. Hope everyone is doing well with their training!

MKCP 1985

good job on the running, everyone. :sohappy:

Going to Little Rock for the 10th Annual this weekend - limiting myself to the half marathon. We run with the full marathon runners until mile 12 at which point the course splits. It will be a big psychological boost to know there is only a mile to go to finish, while if I were running the full marathon, seeing that split would kill me. :lol:

Have you seen their finisher medals? Wow, talk about huge bling. The half marathon finisher medal is large, and is only half the size of the full marathon finisher bling! Here is a photo from their website of the full marathon finisher medal:

Little-Rock-Marathon-Medal-Preview-2012.jpg

enchanted_belle

31+ miles this morning. Heading out was nothing, but the constant stream of the southern winds on the return were brutal. The worst I've felt running in wind, EVER. When I got home it felt like I had just fallen down a flight of stairs, and when I hit the bottom, someone took a baseball bat to my legs for 5 hours :hurl:

Oh well, took two days off last week and still managed just under 139mi.

Keep up the hard work everyone!

Cheers!

You sir are an inspiration.

Ok, I'm rejoining this part of the boards... I am a baby runner (lol), who is halfway through the c25k program and am training for the 10 miler in September (as well as one of the 1/2s at the beginning of next year). I'm in the process of switching from length of time spent running to distance, and could use any/every piece of advice you guys want to throw at me. :)

Ariel484

I am finally registered for my first race since this past
Disney Goofy Challenge. I will be running in the Toledo
Half-Marathon on April 22nd. This weekend I will be increasing
my mileage so that I can work myself back up to this level
of training. I am also planning on doing the Cleveland, Akron,
Fall Classic, Towpath Half-Marathons as well as the Warriors
Dash, Shot in the Dark, and possible the Columbus Marathon
this year. All these races will lead me up until the Goofy Challenge
2013. Hope everyone is doing well with their training!

Busy, busy! Of those I've done Cleveland, Fall Classic (I know you told me a bit about this over the fall - thanks!), Shot in the Dark and the Akron full relay in 2009. I was thinking about doing the Akron half this year but I don't know if it'll work with my schedule. Have you done River Run?

good job on the running, everyone. :sohappy:

Going to Little Rock for the 10th Annual this weekend - limiting myself to the half marathon. We run with the full marathon runners until mile 12 at which point the course splits. It will be a big psychological boost to know there is only a mile to go to finish, while if I were running the full marathon, seeing that split would kill me. :lol:

Have you seen their finisher medals? Wow, talk about huge bling. The half marathon finisher medal is large, and is only half the size of the full marathon finisher bling! Here is a photo from their website of the full marathon finisher medal:

Little-Rock-Marathon-Medal-Preview-2012.jpg

Good luck Doug! That medal is insane!!

Ok, I'm rejoining this part of the boards... I am a baby runner (lol), who is halfway through the c25k program and am training for the 10 miler in September (as well as one of the 1/2s at the beginning of next year). I'm in the process of switching from length of time spent running to distance, and could use any/every piece of advice you guys want to throw at me. :)

Don't try to go too fast and get good shoes...but I already told you the second one! :lol:

Ariel484

So...may I join? :)

Hi, I'm Shannon! :wave: I've posted here before but it's been awhile. I just started training for my 4th half marathon, which is on May 20th. My current PR for the half is 2:34:52 (from May 2011 - same race as the one I am training for) and I'd like that to come way down.

I've been struggling lately for a good reason - I've recently lost some weight and suddenly my pace has gotten quite a bit faster (like 1:30-2:00/mile faster) and it's really thrown me for a loop. I started running in 2008 and this is the fastest I've been, so it feels like I'm starting all over with learning how to pace myself. I've been doing okay with 3-4 mile runs - not starting out too fast or anything - so that's been good, but I like to set goals for myself and I feel like I don't really know how to do that for this race. Hopefully I'll get a better idea as I get some longer runs in. And I fully realize that this is a good "problem" to have. :lol:

Anyhoo, this morning I did 6 hill intervals on the treadmill. This was my first ever hill workout and I thought I was going to die! :lol:

Happy running, everyone! :wave:

Ariel484

I got a pair of Nike to start me off. My mother was complaining because they cost $90 and weren't on sale. :hammer: But they've been working really well for me so far, so... huzzah!

Ouch...my shoes cost $100 so I feel your pain (though I can occasionally find older versions of my shoe on runningwarehouse.com for more like $70). But hooray for happier feet! :)

MKCP 1985

Welcome! :wave: I've followed your same path and switching from length of time running to running for a time at a distance is a challenge! Intervals and fahrtlichs are the devil, but they work! :lol: (google those terms for the best plan for you)

Hi, I'm Shannon! :wave: I've posted here before but it's been awhile. I just started training for my 4th half marathon, which is on May 20th. My current PR for the half is 2:34:52 (from May 2011 - same race as the one I am training for) and I'd like that to come way down.

I've been struggling lately for a good reason - I've recently lost some weight and suddenly my pace has gotten quite a bit faster (like 1:30-2:00/mile faster) and it's really thrown me for a loop. I started running in 2008 and this is the fastest I've been, so it feels like I'm starting all over with learning how to pace myself. I've been doing okay with 3-4 mile runs - not starting out too fast or anything - so that's been good, but I like to set goals for myself and I feel like I don't really know how to do that for this race. Hopefully I'll get a better idea as I get some longer runs in. And I fully realize that this is a good "problem" to have. :lol:

Welcome back! Losing weight and getting faster is a great problem to have! :D

JillC LI

I HATE WIND! I had a recent run in what sounds like a similarly strong wind, but mine was A LOT shorter! lol. Kudos to you.

Welcome back! If you ask me, the hardest part about running is when you first take it up. I think that going from being able to complete 0 miles to finishing 2 miles is nearly as hard as training for a marathon once you have a solid running base. So good for you! Increase your distances very gradually to avoid injury. You've got plenty of time until your 10 miler. And like others have said, do NOT worry about your pace at this stage. Going too fast early on leads to injury and burnout. Just aim to finish and be proud of that.

Anyhoo, this morning I did 6 hill intervals on the treadmill. This was my first ever hill workout and I thought I was going to die! :lol:

Happy running, everyone! :wave:

Of course you may join! We're happy to have you. Congrats on losing the weight. It can be really hard to figure out a race goal when you haven't raced a lot. I've been running a long time, but I race infrequently so I have that problem myself sometimes. I would wait until you see how some longer runs go before setting a goal. And good for you on the hill workout - they're killers but don't you feel proud of yourself when you complete them?!

Ouch...my shoes cost $100 so I feel your pain (though I can occasionally find older versions of my shoe on runningwarehouse.com for more like $70). But hooray for happier feet! :)

Definitely worth every penny. My Nikes cost $140 and I wouldn't dream of changing. Comfortable feet = no injuries = happy runner.

As for me, 3.5 miles on TM this morning. Two of the miles were at 8:55 min pace which is always tough for me, but I felt good afterwards. Keeping up with the stationary bike as well.

enchanted_belle

Welcome! :wave: I've followed your same path and switching from length of time running to running for a time at a distance is a challenge! Intervals and fahrtlichs are the devil, but they work! :lol: (google those terms for the best plan for you)
I had to do a hill interval at the gym last night (I work with a personal trainer couple, whom the girlfriend is training to run along with me), and you're right... they are the devil. :lol: I'll have to look into Fartleks though. :)

Welcome back! If you ask me, the hardest part about running is when you first take it up. I think that going from being able to complete 0 miles to finishing 2 miles is nearly as hard as training for a marathon once you have a solid running base. So good for you! Increase your distances very gradually to avoid injury. You've got plenty of time until your 10 miler. And like others have said, do NOT worry about your pace at this stage. Going too fast early on leads to injury and burnout. Just aim to finish and be proud of that.

I think the farthest I've gotten is about 1.3 straight through with running, so does that mean I'm almost to an easier part? :lol: I figure start myself off with getting to run 30 minutes straight, and then I'll start adding in distance/time with it? As of Sunday, I'm at 17 out of 20 minutes (and one of those minutes was a cool down so I could go do weights), so I feel like I've come a long way from being able to run for 90 seconds straight. :)

JillC LI

I think the farthest I've gotten is about 1.3 straight through with running, so does that mean I'm almost to an easier part? :lol: I figure start myself off with getting to run 30 minutes straight, and then I'll start adding in distance/time with it? As of Sunday, I'm at 17 out of 20 minutes (and one of those minutes was a cool down so I could go do weights), so I feel like I've come a long way from being able to run for 90 seconds straight. :)

I hear ya. I was where you are now back in 1995. (How did I get so old?!:lol:) I think that once you can complete 2 miles without stopping and you do that regularly, it starts to get easier.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer

Thanks. But don't ever follow my running advice or training schedule...you're liable to get hurt or stupid or both :D

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
I got a pair of Nike to start me off. My mother was complaining because they cost $90 and weren't on sale. :hammer: But they've been working really well for me so far, so... huzzah!

Ok, I just said never take my advice, but take this piece:

Do not get thrifty with shoes. IMO, it's the only investment you shouldn't worry about in terms of $$$ (I drop $210. a pair on my shoes...and grabbed 4 more pairs cause I destroy them so fast). You need to get something comfortable and more importantly, something that won't injure you. Don't settle for a cheap pair or the first pair. Try on 30 different pairs if you have to. And don't get caught up in all the marketing gimmicks / science / brands / pronation / etc...get something that fits comfortably, doesn't hurt or injure you, and if you have to spend the cash, go for it, and if you find a pair that are inexpensive and they work, more power to you...you're feet, knees and hips will thank you.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
Just shy of 30 miles this morning. My legs actually felt relatively fresh regardless of yesterday's mayhem.

Tomorrow I'll start alternating between 26mi and 30mi for the next week. On the eighth day, I'll kick out a 50 miler. Getting my body used to the pain and fatigue in prep for my race in March; seems to have been working for the past year. If I din't mention before, I'm registered for another 100 miler in September, and the McNaughton 200mi next year. I like shiny buckles...

Cheers folks!

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Doctor this am. No tears confirmed, again, by a real sports medicine doctor and not just the family doctor.

Im going to try to get back out there Thursday. Its killing me.

I guess Ill reduce the April 28th Nashville full to a half. Yes, it is 2 months away, but if I started running today I might have a chance to be prepared, but with 3 weeks of sitting due to injury, i dont think it is wise.

enchanted_belle

Oh this is exciting, I have something to contribute!

Decided to do a quick walk/run combo outside today after I got home from work (probably about .5-.7 of it was actually walked!)... 1.34 miles in 20 minutes, so it said I had a 14:55 min/mile. :)

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Oh this is exciting, I have something to contribute!

Decided to do a quick walk/run combo outside today after I got home from work (probably about .5-.7 of it was actually walked!)... 1.34 miles in 20 minutes, so it said I had a 14:55 min/mile. :)
Excellent Job!

Keep it up. What time we walking/running tomorrow? :D

fmingo36

Doctor this am. No tears confirmed, again, by a real sports medicine doctor and not just the family doctor.

Im going to try to get back out there Thursday. Its killing me.

I guess Ill reduce the April 28th Nashville full to a half. Yes, it is 2 months away, but if I started running today I might have a chance to be prepared, but with 3 weeks of sitting due to injury, i dont think it is wise.

Good to hear that it's nothing serious, Joel!
And as far as the April 28th race is concerned, it stinks that you can't run the full marathon but as I said before, better to be safe than sorry.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom