What did you do?

scorp111

So I ran the Cleveland Fall Classic Half-Marathon
this morning. It was part of my 16 mile training run,
so I did 3 miles beforehand. Since it was a training run,
I was not going to run for a PR. I was just going to run
at a comfortable pace. I was shooting for 1:40:00-1:45:00.
However, that was not the case. I did not feel like I was running
as fast as I did. My final time was 1:32:35, which I was very happy
with, but was surprised. The weather was perfect for running and
was better than what the forecast said it was going to be. Hope
every one is doing well with their training!

Great race!

A solid dozen miles @ 10:12 pace for me today. I was supposed to go this morning, but saw buckets of rain on the radar, so I decided to wait it out. A wise decision because I didn't get wet. I don't like running long runs in the middle of the afternoon because I can never seem to get my nutrition and meals right. First 9 were at 10:06 and then slowed slightly over the last three. Hit 1000 miles for 2011 on this run, and now just 32 miles over the next 13 days before St. Jude's. Now just not to overeat at Thanksgiving :)

dreamfinder

8.3 mi on Sat, negative splits from 2 on, 16 on Sun at a 8:00 pace. A little slower than I wanted to be, but fairly close to where I need to be for January. Unfortunately looks like no turkey trot for me this year. : (

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Nice job. You take the resident speedster award by no contest from me. :lol:

joel_maxwell

I wanted to ask this question to some fellow runners and Im interested in your response.

Question: During a long event (a half or longer) do you find spectators that bring noise makers on the course extremely annoying. I have always wondered why it is thought that someone ringing a cowbell, horn or some other obnoxious thing would make a runner want to continue running (besides the obvious.. to get away from them). But seriously, since long runs are very mental, the last I want is something/someone getting in my headspace and making a lot of noise.

I recall in Nashville, mile 15, there was a woman with a cowbell. She was ringing it and yelling "Run" at us. :lookaroun Hey, I promise you cowbell lady, I dont need you yelling "Run" at me to finish. The price of the entry fee and all the training will make me finish.

Lastly, Ill say that 2 of the bands on the course after mile 20 were obnoxiously loud (and I love loud music) that it made me almost come out of my skin mentally.

Thoughts?

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
P90X Chest/Shoulders/Triceps

Scarecrows : Ow
Pour Flys: Ow...again

One arm push ups: Ow....bring the pain

Looking forward to our annual Turkey Trot 5 mile race on Thanksgiving day.

lukacseven

Ran the Philadelphia half-marathon yesterday. Not as good as it has been in the past - no wave start, poor water stations, poor crowd control in the city. Spectator turnout was not what it has been in th past either. The finish line approach was greatly improved, as they installed barriers on both sides of the course. At least the weather was perfect.

Day off today, then training continues for the Disney half & relay.

JillC LI

Congrats on a great race!

Now just not to overeat at Thanksgiving :)

Good luck with that. :D I don't even bother trying on Thanksgiving.

I wanted to ask this question to some fellow runners and Im interested in your response.

Question: During a long event (a half or longer) do you find spectators that bring noise makers on the course extremely annoying.
Thoughts?

I haven't noticed it in the longer races that I've run. The spectator noise at the NYC Marathon was so intense all the way through, especially up First Avenue, that I doubt I could've distinguished a cowbell from the screaming. I actually found the cheering encouraging when I needed it, and when I was no longer able to process the cheering somehow I stopped hearing it as if I were running in a bubble. But I can imagine that a lone cowbell at the 10 mile mark of a Half M could be annoying.

Ran the Philadelphia half-marathon yesterday. Not as good as it has been in the past - no wave start, poor water stations, poor crowd control in the city. Spectator turnout was not what it has been in th past either. The finish line approach was greatly improved, as they installed barriers on both sides of the course. At least the weather was perfect.

Congrats to you too!

JillC LI

So I couldn't run my favorite 13 mile trail on Sunday because my hubby's hernia wasn't up to the hilly bike ride. However, I went for a 10 mile run around my neighborhood, which is longer than I've gone in awhile, and without trying for speed, I finished with an unofficial PR of 1:38:38 (9:52 min/mile). I've never run sub 10 minute miles at that distance. Felt really good. I guess that speed work for a short distance race carries over for a longer run.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer

Question: During a long event (a half or longer) do you find spectators that bring noise makers on the course extremely annoying. I have always wondered why it is thought that someone ringing a cowbell, horn or some other obnoxious thing would make a runner want to continue running (besides the obvious.. to get away from them). But seriously, since long runs are very mental, the last I want is something/someone getting in my headspace and making a lot of noise.

I recall in Nashville, mile 15, there was a woman with a cowbell. She was ringing it and yelling "Run" at us. :lookaroun Hey, I promise you cowbell lady, I dont need you yelling "Run" at me to finish. The price of the entry fee and all the training will make me finish.

Lastly, Ill say that 2 of the bands on the course after mile 20 were obnoxiously loud (and I love loud music) that it made me almost come out of my skin mentally.

Thoughts?

They can shove the noice-makers you-know-where :eek:
No, I am not a fan of noise-makers, however, cheering is another thing, as long as they are not cheering stupid phrases, such as:
"GO FASTER!"
"YOU INSPIRE ME!" - if I inspired you, you would be out here running 100 miles with me, jerk.
"PUSH! YOU CAN DO IT!" - What? Am I pregnant now?
"LOOKING GOOD!" - Yeah, we both know that's a load or horse s--t pal...I've got snot all over my face, dried spit on my chin, soaked with sweat, practically p-----g myself, hunched over, black circles under my eyes, and it's only mile 44...yeah, I'm looking real good.

joel_maxwell

I haven't noticed it in the longer races that I've run. The spectator noise at the NYC Marathon was so intense all the way through, especially up First Avenue, that I doubt I could've distinguished a cowbell from the screaming. I actually found the cheering encouraging when I needed it, and when I was no longer able to process the cheering somehow I stopped hearing it as if I were running in a bubble. But I can imagine that a lone cowbell at the 10 mile mark of a Half M could be annoying.
Some of the events that I have been a part of, have a lot of spaces that will be a hundred yards with no spectators. It is very peaceful and nice. Things are more spread out down here. Besides the country roads, a lot of the roads that the Mercedes runs on are wide downtown streets and wide urban suburban areas. It was a shock to me to run on some "alleys" during the Nashville full. It was weird.

I guess if some people find it encouraging, then that is all I need to hear to let those people have it. I can deal with it, I just dont like it.

Im not trying to sound over confident or arrogant, but I am just not the type that signs, posters, music bands or what nots on the course help me. They are just indifferent to me.

Now, when you get to that water station and that person that seems like they have been in my shoes before says something like, "You're going to be so proud.... 3 more miles" I can identify with that.

So I couldn't run my favorite 13 mile trail on Sunday because my hubby's hernia wasn't up to the hilly bike ride. However, I went for a 10 mile run around my neighborhood, which is longer than I've gone in awhile, and without trying for speed, I finished with an unofficial PR of 1:38:38 (9:52 min/mile). I've never run sub 10 minute miles at that distance. Felt really good. I guess that speed work for a short distance race carries over for a longer run.
Very nice. I bet all that 5K training had something to do with that. ;)

No, I am not a fan of noise-makers, however, cheering is another thing, as long as they are not cheering stupid phrases, such as:
"GO FASTER!"
"YOU INSPIRE ME!" - if I inspired you, you would be out here running 100 miles with me, jerk.
"LOOKING GOOD!" - Yeah, we both know that's a load or horse s--t pal...I've got snot all over my face, dried spit on my chin, soaked with sweat, practically p-----g myself, hunched over, black circles under my eyes, and it's only mile 44...yeah, I'm looking real good.
Those are a lot of the phrases that I was referring to that didnt do anything for me... it is more someone just yelling in my ear... and hey, my head is already hurting, lets not do that please. :lol:

Texas84

I don't mind the noise and phony encouragement. I take it for what it is: Someone trying to help.

Easy 7 miles yesterday. I was a full minute off my pace and actually enjoyed it. A pleasant 60F right after a rain shower and the humidity seemed to lift throughout the run. I was stopped by a flock of geese who honked at me to stay clear and two friendly dogs who were happy to see me. Just a nice morning.

fmingo36

"GO FASTER!"

Nick--you crack me up! :ROFLOL:

fmingo36

Thoughts?

Since I run with my music, I guess I usully don't notice the noise makers. I don't think I'd mind a quick cowbell but if some one had an airhorn, that would probably send me over the edge.

I do appreciate the crowds and the encouragement. Maybe "RUN" isn't the most encouraging thing to yell but how many short phrases can they yell at 10,000 plus runners that have any kind of positive impact.
I always love when they say "YOU CAN DO IT!" Because it just reaffirrms what my mind is thinking even if my knees are telling me something else.

I do hate it when they say "You're almost there/done or something to that effect" and their still like 3 miles out. That just KILLS me and I want to yell back to them "F-n LIAR!"

joel_maxwell

I don't mind the noise and phony encouragement. I take it for what it is: Someone trying to help.
Well when you say it like that.... it makes me question my view point. Ill retract/clarify some of what I said and state it like this: I love seeing as many spectators that can fill the street. I love seeing people get excited looking for their friends, family etc running. The, as Coryna said, false statements I could do without and most of the comments just dont do anything for me. I think I get more out of the other people waiting for mom/dad to run by to wave and cheer them on. I will stand by my original statement on the noise makers. Ill take clapping all day long, but cowbells, jingle bells, horns, clackers etc.

Since I run with my music, I guess I usully don't notice the noise makers. I don't think I'd mind a quick cowbell but if some one had an airhorn, that would probably send me over the edge.

I do appreciate the crowds and the encouragement. Maybe "RUN" isn't the most encouraging thing to yell but how many short phrases can they yell at 10,000 plus runners that have any kind of positive impact.
I always love when they say "YOU CAN DO IT!" Because it just reaffirrms what my mind is thinking even if my knees are telling me something else.

I do hate it when they say "You're almost there/done or something to that effect" and their still like 3 miles out. That just KILLS me and I want to yell back to them "F-n LIAR!"
:lol::lol::lol:

I do hate the "Right around the corner bud" comments. I hate to tell these people, but I study a course so well, I want to say the same thing, "Sorry, but we technically have about 2 miles left. Just be honest"

JillC LI

"GO FASTER!"

LOL, how about "GO cool dude in black!"

Im not trying to sound over confident or arrogant, but I am just not the type that signs, posters, music bands or what nots on the course help me. They are just indifferent to me.

It's not that they help me per se, but I enjoy the atmosphere that the cheering spectators create. If I wanted a peaceful run, I'd go for a training run in the woods or around a lake, not a race.

That's exactly it. Many nonrunners have no idea what phrasing would actually help a runner in that position of a race so they shout whatever well-intentioned thought comes to mind.

Yes, that's my favorite too.

As for what I did today, 3.5 miles of speedwork on the treadmill this morning - as I increased the length of the intervals, I decreased the speed from 8 min/mile to 8:30 min/mile with rest periods of the same intervals. I figure I'll keep up one day per week of speedwork even though I have no imminent races right now.

I really have to give a thumbs up to the FIRST training plan which I slightly modified and used to train for a very successful 5K. It can be applied to other distances you want to increase your speed for as well if anyone is interested.

joel_maxwell

LOL, how about "GO cool dude in black!"
:lol: If its good enough for Johnny Cash, its good enough!

It's not that they help me per se, but I enjoy the atmosphere that the cheering spectators create. If I wanted a peaceful run, I'd go for a training run in the woods or around a lake, not a race.
I think that might be the problem. I think we found the root of it. I am use to training in 5am peaceful runs all to myself. They are always quiet with the occasional traffic. I think when I get in an event with all the fanfare, my sensory scale is on overload and by mile 13+.... it is done. This sounds odd, but could be dehydration too. Loud noises makes head hurt.... could be.

That's exactly it. Many nonrunners have no idea what phrasing would actually help a runner in that position of a race so they shout whatever well-intentioned thought comes to mind.
I love the ones that say something like, "My dad is whipping your butt" :lol: Those kind of signs really make me laugh. I do enjoy those.

As for what I did today, 3.5 miles of speedwork on the treadmill this morning - as I increased the length of the intervals, I decreased the speed from 8 min/mile to 8:30 min/mile with rest periods of the same intervals. I figure I'll keep up one day per week of speedwork even though I have no imminent races right now.

I really have to give a thumbs up to the FIRST training plan which I slightly modified and used to train for a very successful 5K. It can be applied to other distances you want to increase your speed for as well if anyone is interested.
Cant hurt. Nice job.

Ariel484

...I really have to give a thumbs up to the FIRST training plan which I slightly modified and used to train for a very successful 5K. It can be applied to other distances you want to increase your speed for as well if anyone is interested.

Ah, great...I was THISCLOSE to sending you a PM asking if this is the plan you used to get your 5K time down (congrats on the new PR, by the way!). I've had the FIRST book for awhile but haven't used it to train for a race yet. I think I'm going to try the half plan in the spring. Thanks! :wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom